Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

41 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

After we crash and burn this year, but with Haskins flashing big promise down the stretch, I look forward to Snyder making Lincoln Riley the highest paid NFL HC in history.

I'm not joking about this. 

If we crash and burn and he doesn't fire Bruce. It won't change much...

19 hours ago, Burgold said:

If we believe reports then there's no reason to think this. Throughout the preseason, we have heard stories of teams approaching the Redskins to ask about Williams only to be rebuffed. For whatever reason, the Front Office decided not to dance. Personally, I think it's dumb. If Trent really refuses to play and you're not doing everything in your power to woo him back (which from what we understand they're not) then get the best offer you can.

I don't know if it's fair, but now that we know Houston's offer to Miami and know that Houston approached us, I can't help wonder what offers Bruce rejected for Kirk only to eventually lose him for a compensatory pick.

I honestly have no idea what to believe but something is amiss with the Redskins communication with other teams. We can't ever seem to get a single good deal in a trade, or we just don't do one at all. Either we're constantly getting lowballed because they know our front office is incompetent or we don't get any offers at all. I have nothing to really back this up, it's just a feeling I have based on our recent trade history. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I honestly have no idea what to believe but something is amiss with the Redskins communication with other teams. We can't ever seem to get a single good deal in a trade, or we just don't do one at all. Either we're constantly getting lowballed because they know our front office is incompetent or we don't get any offers at all. I have nothing to really back this up, it's just a feeling I have based on our recent trade history. 

I don't believe it's either of those things. I think it's much simpler than that. I believe Bruce stubbornly puts a value on a player and just never moves. It's his value or nothing. There is no negotiation. We know he did this with Kirk (not starting a Kirk thread just using the example). He made an early offer and it never changed much. Kirk expected an enhanced offer late and the enhanced offer was virtually the same as before - both sides admitted as such. Not getting into if Kirk should have responded. This is strictly about Bruce's negotiation" tactics. So my guess is he put a value on Trent and has not gotten it. And based on what we saw Houston give for Tunsil, he set the value too high. 

There is no way to expect him to get the same thing Miami did. But if he was offered anything in that ballpark - say a 1st and a 3rd or 4th for example, he is a ****ing moron for not taking it. In fact any offer that included a 1st should have been taken IMO. In fairness, we do not know what was offered and may never know. So a 1st may never have been offered by Houston or the Pats despite the rumors.

But I have to believe Houston would have been much more willing to send us a 1st and say a 4th than the 2 1sts and a 2nd with all those other players involved to Miami. 

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

After we crash and burn this year, but with Haskins flashing big promise down the stretch, I look forward to Snyder making Lincoln Riley the highest paid NFL HC in history.

I could see the appeal to Dan.  But supposedly, Riley loves coaching college and doesn't have the desire coaching the pros so I'd presume to lure him it would have to be a special place/situation.  This isn't a special place.  So Dan I gather would have to go nuts with money, like a Jon Gruden type of 10 year deal to have a shot. 

Bruce Allen needs to be fired. 

Dude has an ego that gets in the way of him making the proper decisions for the team. 

To not take advantage of what is going on in Houston is absolutely absurd.. I mean did you see heist miami pulled? I don't care if they weren't offering the same trade to the redskins, they were clearly desperate and a good GM would have been able to get something significant for trent. 

Imo, Bruce wants trent to suffer for the backlash against the team. Trading trent to his hometown and a divisional favorite would be a rewarding bad player behavior and it's clear Bruce isn't going to let that happen. 

The only way Bruce is gone, is if the next big name coach requests it.

Dan's next coaching hire will be a big name from either college or the nfl. As a potential condition on accepting the Skins job, said coach may want his own personel guy. That's the only way Bruce goes, otherwise Bruce is here for life.

I really wonder what Dan Snyder thought when he saw the haul Miami got for Tunsil? As others have pointed out, Tunsil is a average, not even good left tackle, and despite the sour grapes logic, I'd bet if the compensation were equal that 25 out of 32 GMs would go for Williams over Tunsil.

Not only is Williams' elite, but he is considered a leader and a tough guy. Tunsil is considered lazy and uneven.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I really wonder what Dan Snyder thought when he saw the haul Miami got for Tunsil? As others have pointed out, Tunsil is a average, not even good left tackle, and despite the sour grapes logic, I'd bet if the compensation were equal that 25 out of 32 GMs would go for Williams over Tunsil.

Not only is Williams' elite, but he is considered a leader and a tough guy. Tunsil is considered lazy and uneven.

I wonder this too.  People assume Bruce won't deal Trent because this team needs to win now for him to keep his job, but doing it at the expense of losing out on a potential blockbuster deal that could set this organization up well for the future should also play a role in getting him canned.  The stars were aligned for a deal to happen and Bruce wasn't willing to dance.

And to add to that, if Bruce does end up trading Trent and it's for far less then what Miami got he's going to get ripped even more.  Which leads me to believe he's probably more dug in now hoping Trent blinks first when he starts missing game checks.  

29 minutes ago, drowland said:

I wonder this too.  People assume Bruce won't deal Trent because this team needs to win now for him to keep his job, but doing it at the expense of losing out on a potential blockbuster deal that could set this organization up well for the future should also play a role in getting him canned.  The stars were aligned for a deal to happen and Bruce wasn't willing to dance.

And to add to that, if Bruce does end up trading Trent and it's for far less then what Miami got he's going to get ripped even more.  Which leads me to believe he's probably more dug in now hoping Trent blinks first when he starts missing game checks.  

On top of that, Snyder likes publicity. I think that's why he used to love winning the offseason so much. Getting that trade bonanza would put the Redskins in the news... and in a positive way for a few days. Unfortunately, keeping Williams does not. As good as he is, we've had a lot of losing seasons with him.

3 hours ago, drowland said:

I am not sure we are in Win Now mode.

That is the official word around here, but when I see all those young guys on the roster on both side of the bowl, it doesn't scream "Win Now". It screams mistakes, stupid penalties, drops, interceptions, and all those growing pains that goes with young players.

Just now, Wildbunny said:

I am not sure we are in Win Now mode.

That is the official word around here, but when I see all those young guys on the roster on both side of the bowl, it doesn't scream "Win Now". It screams mistakes, stupid penalties, drops, interceptions, and all those growing pains that goes with young players.

I agree.  They're gonna try to win with tough defense and a running game while they build for a future with Haskins.   Which is all the more reason to flip an disgruntled asset like Trent for future draft assets you can use to build around Haskins.  By the time he gets good Trent likely wouldn't be around anyway.  Does anything think he'll re-sign when his contract expires?  Nope.  

17 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Id be for this especially if it meant bringing in a quality GM.

But instead we will probably go 6-10.  Bruce will convince Dan we are "close" and they will bring in a new coach that will never get over 8-8.  

14 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Or maybe the stubbornness isn't really all Bumbling Bruce but is also coming from Doofus Dan as well.

How else isn't Bruce gone a long long time ago?

I think they are both two of a kind on some fronts and that's part of the explanation of Bruce's long tenure in spite of having very little success.    Bruce is the extroverted-better social skills version of Dan.    The one point about Dan that it's taken me awhile to reach (even though so many signs existed) is that his social life is front and center to job security and some decision making.  

It's been awhile, new article on Dan

Interviews with current NFL power players, former league executives and former Redskins employees, most of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a more frank assessment, depicted Snyder as a competitive businessman who remains driven to return the Redskins to the championship level of his childhood, but one no closer to understanding how to do so than in his younger, more imperious ownership seasons. They showed an owner who has receded from the NFL’s inner circle, whose insular personality has reduced his influence and willingness to fully engage on league matters.

Some worried about the direction of a historic franchise in a crucial market, while others expressed optimism despite Snyder’s track record.

...“I think that what’s happened over the 20-year period is that he has taken a franchise that has been universally respected in sports, not just the NFL, and proceeded to drag it down to mediocrity,” Cooke said. “It’s no longer one of the premier sports franchises in the United States.”

...Recent seasons have brought troubling external indicators — flagging ticket sales, opposing fans regularly invading FedEx Field, extensive personnel turnover on the franchise’s business side. The Redskins ranked 27th in the NFL in attendance last season and struggled to fill seats even after years of removing them, shrinking the stadium’s capacity.

“As long as Dan’s there, they don’t have a chance,” one former high-ranking Redskins official said. “Even though the players are much better than they were … at the end of the day, everybody has to be beating on the same drum. If you’re not on your game [in the NFL], you’re going to get exposed very quickly. And that’s what’s happened to him.”

The totality of Washington’s decline under Snyder has gained the attention of many within the league. The Washington market, ripe with history and rich in political connections, has unique meaning. For years, Redskins tickets were scarce, a sign of prestige and pride. Last year the team finally acknowledged that for the first time in decades it no longer had a waiting list for season tickets.

“If you’d have told me that the Redskins would have been an afterthought in the D.C. market, I would have told you you were crazy,” one NFL power broker said. “But you’re starting to see that. And it’s a concern.”

...“It’s more the perception of it,” the NFL power broker said. “You have a top-flight franchise that should be doing very, very well. But they’re not. … It’s just not being run properly.”

...One person close to Lafemina called his ouster “a perfect example” of Snyder’s refusal to hear uncomfortable truths. Multiple people familiar with the dynamic said Allen undermined Lafemina, treating him as a threat rather than an ally. Lafemina, now the chief business operator of the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics organizing committee, did not return messages seeking comment.

While Allen has supporters across the league, several executives expressed confusion that Snyder has chosen him as the primary voice he’ll listen to. Under Allen’s leadership, the Redskins have gone 59-84-1, and last season fans launched a widespread social media campaign — #FireBruceAllen — calling for his ouster.

It is a relationship seemingly built on personal connection as much as professional. Multiple former Redskins employees said Allen and Snyder sometimes talk late into the night at Redskins Park over drinks, typically Coors Light for Allen and Crown Royal XR for Snyder.

"

21 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think a lot of people here underestimate the injury/age concerns for players.

Tunsil isn't as good as Williams. Agreed. But avail is the the best ability, and skillsets aren't so far off that having Williams for 10 games for 3-4 seasons offsets having Tunsil for 

14 games for 6-8 seasons.

Having that said... The Texans gave up way too much for Tunsil.

WP article gets into a lot of stuff including the stadium.  Football is obviously a hobby for me -- I am no expert.  But I am an expert or close enough in the political process and am personal friends with the person who ran several initiatives for stadiums in Florida.  And I've been saying based on those who have observed the process thus far (if they are correct) Bruce-Dan's efforts to go this alone seems politically suicidal.  I get it i guess from Bruce's side if his tenure is really tied to the stadium because it buys him time but from Dan's perspective?   

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/03/two-decades-later-nfl-peers-view-daniel-snyders-redskins-tenure-with-mix-worry-optimism/

...The rapid dismissal of Lafemina drew attention in the league for another reason: He had worked for years as a liaison between the league office and teams going through the process of building a new stadium, and many viewed him as an ideal executive to spearhead the search for the Redskins’ new home.

The task instead falls to Allen. The Redskins have contracted architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group, but they have not hired outside help to navigate the political and financial issues pertaining to a new stadium. Their lease obligates them to play at FedEx Field through 2027, and the franchise prefers to open a new stadium the next season. The Redskins have had talks with D.C., Maryland and Virginia regarding a potential location, and they believe putting a stadium in Washington would be the optimal outcome.

For both the franchise and the NFL, the stadium pursuit is of vital importance.

“We are competing with home entertainment, which is getting more attractive all the time,” said Steelers owner Art Rooney II, who chairs the NFL’s stadium committee. “Having a state-of-the-art stadium is critical for every franchise. Washington is a great market, but their fans expect the same treatment other fans are getting around the country. I think it’s definitely time to do something there.”

...One league insider familiar with the process expressed doubts Allen and Snyder possess the expertise to execute the complicated maneuvers needed to acquire an 180-acre tract of land and build a state-of-the-art structure that can compete with new stadiums that cost more than $1 billion. The NFL power broker worried Snyder doesn’t understand the complexity of the task.

“I think there’s a 0 percent chance they have a building by 2028,” the NFL power broker said. “With all of his past performances and past behavior, I just don’t see him saying: ‘You know what? I need to take a step back and hire an expert.’

“You can get lucky and Dwayne Haskins can be the next Peyton Manning,” he continued. “It’s not likely, but it can certainly happen. You can’t get lucky and just get a stadium built in a major metropolitan area in the United States of America with having no background for how to build it and what to do.”

On 9/2/2019 at 1:12 AM, ConnSKINS26 said:

It will be either Harbaugh or Callahan, and he will also get full control over personnel. This is Snyder's neverending cycle - he goes from unproven offensive mind (Robiskie, Spurrier, Zorn, Gruden) to famous over the hill coach who gets full control over everything (Schotferbrains, Gibbs, Lobsterman). The senior citizen coaches know they will be playing shuffleboard in 5 years, so they use their control of the roster to mortgage the future for instant success, leaving the subsequent untested offensive coach with little to work with.

13 minutes ago, WeThreeKingsRuleU said:

Then who?  Also, who is this NFL Power Broker they keep mentioning?  I want THAT job

Could be a slew of people. But recency bias suggests Lafemina. But that's speculation. Who knows? For all we know it was a UPS driver who delivered there once.

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Having that said... The Texans gave up way too much for Tunsil.

Pretty much sums it up.

By the way, how is the Dolphins' player revolt going?

"According to The Miami Herald’s Adam Beasley, Miami’s locker room could revolt if the organization moved its franchise left tackle in a trade.

Tunsil is under team control for the next two seasons and given the incredible value placed on left tackles in the NFL and Tunsil’s standing in the locker room, trading him could have disastrous consequences for the Dolphins. “The backlash would be amazing,” a source told Beasley, via The Miami Herald. “Guys would legit revolt.”

I don't follow the Dolphins...anyone know if the players are fuming, or if they're taking it in stride?

Archived