Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

12 hours ago, slinky said:

here's to hoping that BA selling his home is a sign of things to come... (desperately hoping, but realistically depressing)

apparently he's listed it now 8 times since 2011.

Redskins President Bruce Allen brings his home turf to market in Virginia
https://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-bruce-allen-redskins-virginia-20190621-story.html

Listing it 8 times I am gathering he's determined to at least match the value he put in because he's willing to list but not sell it unless he gets what he wants.  To buy a house 8 years ago at that price and ask for only $25,000 over what he paid for it back then -- that's not much so I gather he bought it at the height of the market. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Redskins fans were ranked #11 in another survey. Tanier, from BR ranks Redskins fans dead last via his perspective.  

32. Washington Redskins

Engagement: 5

Cuisine: 5

Savvy: 7.5

Internet Personality: -4

FAN SCORE: 13.5

"I'm a Redskins fan and let me tell you, it's an absolute crime to put as at 11. We should be between 25-32. Our fanbase sucks mainly because we've been driven away by the owner." — dmacs101

In olden times (the 1980s), Skins fans were goofballs playing banjos wearing pig snouts and granny dresses. Now, the most visible Skins fans spend most of their time on the internet demanding that the rest of us just deal with the team's name and then dressing up as long rows of empty seats on Sundays.

In fairness to the few remaining true Skins loyalists (as opposed to the angry cranks who have glommed onto a political argument), they're stuck with a dysfunctional franchise with problematic branding and a stadium that has all the charm and luxury of an abandoned strip mall. It's a wonder so many fans still care at all. Just not enough fans to keep them out of last place on this list.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843690-mike-tanier-fixes-the-nfl-fanbase-rankings

That's cute.  👎

The fact that we still have fans showing up despite everything we have been through should be an automatic ticket into the top 10!

Granted this is from Chris Russell, who is prone to talk out of his ass and exaggerate (see the Trent/Geron BS), he does have some sources, and he is right from time-to-time. I don't doubt this for a second.

Grain of salt: I did get in the car and hear fat douchebag Paulsen crowing about how 106.7 keeps it real and tells the truth, unlike other stations. So, this could be schtick feeding that image, as well.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Granted this is from Chris Russell, who is prone to talk out of his ass and exaggerate (see the Trent/Geron BS), he does have some sources, and he is right from time-to-time. I don't doubt this for a second.

With Russell you typically get some hyperbole but also some truth, too.  He's nailed a lot of things over the last 2 years about the FO specifically so he's got a good deep throat in that FO who has been mostly correct.  He's ironically more accurate now than when he was a beat guy covering the team.  I don't think they can dispute that all those people left the job.  The question is why? 

To me the most interesting angle of that story is even if you take the most benign explanation for all of that (and I am ok with riding with a more positive spin on it) then it could be Dan or Bruce pushing people out because they are concerned for ticket sales and want to overhaul that effort or these people left voluntarily feeling that pressure about spiking sales.  If so what happens if they struggle to sell again?  I am bringing that up because i think there is a good shot that it does happen again. 

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Grain of salt: I did get in the car and hear fat douchebag Paulsen crowing about how 106.7 keeps it real and tells the truth, unlike other stations. So, this could be schtick feeding that image, as well.

I thought that was Rouhier unless Paulsen did his own segment on it?  I heard Rouhier though do it.  All those 106.7 guys for whatever reason love to take digs at 980.  I don't get it since supposedly they kill 980 in the ratings.  IMO 106.7 is way better now than 980 after the 980 ownership change and subsequent lineup change.  So its odd that they act insecure about 980 and have to continue to kick them.

I never thought 980 was that supportive of Dan in spite him owning the station.   I always thought the idea that they were pro ownership was ridiculous.   Doc maybe at times but even he took his shots about them being the kings of the off season which he talked about sarcastically.  Mitchell was critical.  Sheehan was critical.  Galdi at times critical.  Czaben critical.  Pollin and Loverro were critical. Russell himself was on that station for a spell and would be critical. 

I believe Russel.  When he talked about it on the Junks yesterday, Lurch pretty much seconded it based on people who he knows who have worked with the Redskins before, saying it's a terrible place to work and Dan is a terrible person to work for.

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Sooo is this all true??^^....could lead to snyder cleaning house?

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So now we have circled back around to we hope snyder is forced to sale?

I don't know about Snyder, but I've seen articles about Bruce selling his house. So obviously, he'll have to clean it so he can sell it.

44 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I believe Russel.  When he talked about it on the Junks yesterday, Lurch pretty much seconded it based on people who he knows who have worked with the Redskins before, saying it's a terrible place to work and Dan is a terrible person to work for.

So then 40 people quitting is nothing new?...Or did something happen to make far more people than usual decide to quit?

The small blurb makes it sound like Lafemina's termination was the catalyst. Or else why even mention his name in connection to the story? Could have said since January or February or over the past 6 months or something. I'm also wondering if "have left" = "have quit', or if "have left" = "have quit and/or were fired"?

For me, if you're gonna disparage a company and the way it conducts business and treats employees, you need to have a lot of facts included in the story before you toss it out as a report. I didn't listen to the podcast so maybe it was far more in-depth, but the write-up was incredibly short on details and context. I like context lol.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I heard Rouhier though do it.  All those 106.7 guys for whatever reason love to take digs at 980.  I don't get it since supposedly they kill 980 in the ratings.

It was Rouhier. They both sound the same to me--douchey.

They love to promote they're the #1 sports talk station in DC. Like no ****. You have no competition.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

It was Rouhier. They both sound the same to me--douchey.

They love to promote they're the #1 sports talk station in DC. Like no ****. You have no competition.

Yeah I don't get it for 2 reasons.  1.  they are already kicking 980's butt.  2.  It's total BS -- the 980 guys were just as critical.  in fact some of those same 980 guys are now on 106.7 and have all said they could say whatever they want on 980.    

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

thought I saw somewhere its still for sale but couldn't find it.

Found the new one

Ah forgot about this one!

So Bruce and Dan are both selling house... Are they both on their way out?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep or Jack and Tony.  Imagine Bruce and Dan rooming together -- if they'd let that be filmed it would be reality TV gold.

Never saw that show...

House and Wilson would suits better to me :D

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Attendance down for the last decade and yet Snyder wants to spend $$$ for a new stadium.  Doesn't make sense.

Many think (me too) that the stadium which is crappy compared to most NFL stadiums is part of the problem.  I think though the attendance is an issue in a different way which is it's the worst environment for Dan to convinced other bodies of government that a stadium will bring big bucks to their community.

I don't have much faith in Bruce's competence so I got my doubts about the stadium thing going well.  And actually I do know a little about the politics of getting a stadium and just convincing politicians just in general to support something like this -- and Bruce going at this solo without any lobbyist help is quite a wild way to chase this.  I don't know if that's Dan being cheap or Bruce trying to make himself indispensable but either way its an odd way to go about it at least based on what I've seen in my experience.   Liz Clark who is covering the issue for the WP has made a similar point. 

So I'd be wildly impressed if he gets a spanking new stadium in an ideal location.  Lobbyists can get a bad name (some of which is deserved) but part of their charm is when you are trying to achieve something like this they have built in connections and at times are owed favors where they can barter some.  Unless I am missing something, Bruce while would have some connections via his brother would be out of his element pulling something like this off. 

While I think little of Bruce, I'll give him that Dan has made him the Bo Jackson of the Redskins.  What isn't this dude running?   He runs personnel.  He runs the business side.  He actually represents Dan numerous time at owners meetings where Dan stays at home.  He runs the challenges during game day.   He's the alumni event guy.  And some beat guys say he does interject himself with Jay from time to time as for who gets playing time.  And as a side job he's running the push for a new stadium.  Wow.  While I don't think much of his competence -- I'll give him this, can there be any executive in the NFL with more on their plate than that dude?  So in his shoes, i'd demand a nice contract because he's filling the job of multiple people. 

No wonder some say Dan is reluctant to let him go.  He'd have to likely hire 4 people to fill in those roles.   Aside from wearing a zillion hats, some say Bruce is also Dan's BFF and they go out drinking together.    Keim and Sheehan did a podcast together this week.  Sheehan thinks Bruce is on thin ice.  Keim said he heard multiple things on it, some of which is conflicting.  Russell has kind of said the same thing of late -- hearing mixed things.   Sheehan also doesn't think based on what he's heard Dan has changed much.

Back to the stadium, I gather they should have struck when the iron was hot when they had a friendly governor in Virginia but they didn't.  Then it looks like they dawdled too long with Congress on moving on the DC angle and now the politics of it do not favor them.   I don't know what happened with Maryland Governor but I gather it didn't go well considering he said its off.   I hope they surprise me and have something up their sleeve.  And granted issues like this often do go for a time below the radar and then surface so it's possible it's going better than it looks.  But as for what it looks like to me -- it feels like Bruce's incompetence extends to the stadium, too.  But to give him some credit.  If he's an army of one or two along with his brother, it's one hard undertaking.  In South Florida, they had multiple lobbyists working it and in addition to that a whole political grassroots arm (that's where I did some work) trying to galvanize pubic opinion.  

I am guessing right now Liz Clark ends up correct and they strike out everywhere and end up staying in Fed Ex.  Dan has rights to the land if I understand it. And thereby can build an adjacent new stadium next to the old one. 

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Attendance down for the last decade and yet Snyder wants to spend $$$ for a new stadium.  Doesn't make sense.

Most people here know how much I despise FedEX. Why would I travel out in the cold to that dank, urine-soaked hell hole (A+ for anyone who gets that reference w/o googling) when I can watch it in the comfort of my home, in my pajamas, on my 85" TV? I don't have to deal with obnoxious asshole fans--I can be an obnoxious asshole in my own space! For me, and I think this is a growing League-wide problem, the game is better on TV.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing right now Liz Clark ends up correct and they strike out everywhere and end up staying in Fed Ex.  Dan has rights to the land if I understand it. And thereby can build an adjacent new stadium next to the old one. 

Very interesting take. I am wholly uneducated on this matter--but I am willing to bet dollars-to-donuts that either this, or someplace in East Bum****, VA, where Bruce has buddies. 1000% chance they make a terrible decision.

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Most people here know how much I despise FedEX. Why would I travel out in the cold to that dank, urine-soaked hell hole (A+ for anyone who gets that reference w/o googling) when I can watch it in the comfort of my home, in my pajamas, on my 85" TV? I don't have to deal with obnoxious asshole fans--I can be an obnoxious asshole in my own space! For me, and I think this is a growing League-wide problem, the game is better on TV.

I've seen some of the new stadiums like Arizona and Dallas and what a difference or even older stadiums with character like NO.   I am not the only Redskin fan who has mentioned they'd rather see a road game than a home one.  The stadiums on the road are nicer and in some cases much nicer.   Most of them have good public transportation and are easy to get to and get out of.  Dallas ironically isn't though easy to get to and leave from though even that stadium has stuff to do around it if you want to kill some time before or after the game.   

And in those cases, you are among an army of Redskins fans invading it so its fun.   Fed-Ex is pretty much the opposite of all of this.  It's a dump.  Colorless. No character to it.  Sadly it kind of fits how the team has played during Dan's reign -- the stadium sort of fits that.

I've talked about this point in other threads but its interesting to try to see the team via the eyes of kids considering I am trying to indoctrinate mine as Redskins fans.  Going to Fed-ex if anything hurts that cause.  It's tough for me to go through their schedule now and find a game where I think 2 things will happen:  1.  they win.  2.  the stadium isn't invaded by opposing fans.

Archived