Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Ok so here we are, year 5 and going backwards once again.

If there was ever a prime opportunity to blow everything up and clean house, it's now.

Question is, does Danny boy have the balls to gut everyone?

If I were owner, I'd can Bruce, promote Schaefer.

Gruden and the whole coaching staff, gone.

Norman and his contact, gone. Same with Reed. Also gone are Crowder, P Smith (FA contacts)

They've got a good young base of talent at some positions, and a bunch of draft picks. A new gm and coaching staff can work with that.

Even with the albatross of Smith's contract, cutting Reed and Norman should help absorb the cost of that, plus the cap increase.

Obviously we need to draft a rookie QB, who will help alleviate the Smith cost.

I'd look at FA for a TE, OL and CB.

Draft a QB, MLB, and hopefully a WR or two.

Speed rusher would be nice but that's a tall order in one draft.

I am all for firing Allen but I'd like to keep Gruden because I think he might be able to identify what college QB to draft.  Snyder will blow it without Jay to weigh in on the decision.  Jay might not be a great coach but I think he at least will recognize a decent QB prospect which is the big decision to make.

Just now, Veryoldschool said:

I am all for firing Allen but I'd like to keep Gruden because I think he might be able to identify what college QB to draft.  Snyder will blow it without Jay to weigh in on the decision.  Jay might not be a great coach but I think he at least will recognize a decent QB prospect which is the big decision to make.

How many qbs has he brought in that are actually good? 

1 minute ago, Veryoldschool said:

Except Gruden hasn't picked a QB for the Skins. 

8 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

So, you want to bring in a new GM and not let him pick his coach or his QB?

tenor.gif?itemid=7966002

14 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Jay likes Colt McCoy

16 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I love it after games like this when recruitment goes up tenfold. 

I'm like:

Come to the darkside people. Bring your pitchforks. Our common enemy is Dan and Bruce. 

Is it time to march on Dan's mansion with those pitchforks? I'm seriously thinking yes. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So, the guy who's responsible for our depth, for acquiring and holding onto aging players and banking on multiple injury-prone players, will undoubtedly use "oh, but the injuries" as an excuse for the failure of his team this offseason. 

Every year.  And people buy it.  They dont stop to think about the fact that its now not just 1 year, or 2 years, or even God forbid 3 years.  Bruce Allen has been nauseatingly been here for almost a decade, and during that time, bar 2 years with Scot McCloughan, has made miserable people look amazing by comparison.

I think Bruce Allen passed Vinny, and I didnt ever think that would be possible.

22 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Im not sure theres a dumber reason in the world for keeping a head coach than "He might not be any good as a head coach, but he may recognize a decent QB prospect, and ignore his many years of failure and inability to actually identify any decent QB prospects."

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

No reputable GM would accept that. 

The whole notion doesn't merit discussion. The very idea that you'd be interviewing GM candidates by telling them "OK, you have to stick with this coach for a year and let him pick the QB. And then, in a year, you can fire that coach and find a new coach who can work with that QB who's been forced on you" is beyond laughable.

Not to even mention the idea that this "plan" necessitates forcing a QB pick this year, and that it means we're hiring a GM we don't think is as competent at evaluating college QBs as Jay Gruden, for some reason.

What a joke.

This team has such a long way to go before they win the NFC much less the Super Bowl.  We are laughingly bad.  I look at our roster, particularly on the offensive side, and I see zero playmakers.  We don't have a QB.  The defense has made some strides but they are so erratic.  The coaches are moronic.  The front office stinks.  I don't see much hope.

We can only pray Guice comes back 100% and gives us a jump.  I think our WR core is terrible, we need to draft someone.  Hope Richardson can come back and do something.  One of a multitude of tough injuries we have endured this year.

Just now, abdcskins said:

This team has such a long way to go before they win the NFC much less the Super Bowl.  We are laughingly bad.  I look at our roster, particularly on the offensive side, and I see zero playmakers.  We don't have a QB.  The defense has made some strides but they are so erratic.  The coaches are moronic.  The front office stinks.  I don't see much hope.

We can only pray Guice comes back 100% and gives us a jump.  I think our WR core is terrible, we need to draft someone.  Hope Richardson can come back and do something.  One of a multitude of tough injuries we have endured this year.

I agree and disagree. I think our D has talent, but has been figured out. We're too late in the season for vanilla. Teams have figured out what we do, when we do it, how we do it, and what the weaknesses are when we do it. Talent can't overcome that. Scheme has to. There has got to be a way for this team to deal with stretch plays. If Foster is getting beat four games in a row than you need to figure some way to help him out or bench him for someone that can set an edge.

On O, you're right. Our best player is AP who we lucked into. Crowder has been a no show the entire season and Thompson, love his heart, is too often injured. Reed has disappeared and Vernon has become 50/50. Our oline is on IR.

At full strength there is talent on O though not many game changers. I think we are mostly suffering from stupid, from injuries, and from stupid. 

11 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This is a fair and very overlooked reality. Only in Washington is Jay Gruden so hated and talked about in such angry and quite honestly sometimes petty terms. Most of the professionals in the league that know Jay have a very high respect for him. 

He may have to be an OC for a few years again to make sure this franchise did not break him. After that, he will get another HCing chance. I hope he does and I hope he is very successful. He is a much better coach than people give him credit for. I wish him all the success in the world. I doubt it will be here - but more despite him, not because of him. 

And before the unnecessary deluge of - but he sucks at......  Just save it. No one said he is perfect. I have chronicled myself the places that he is weakest. He has some things he can definitely improve on. But I stand by my statement that he is a better coach than he gets credit for by many Redskins fans.  

The majority of the teams problems are not due to Jay. They are due to Dan and Bruce. If Dan really cared about the Redskins as much he says he does, he would sell the team - now!  But he is way too arrogant to do that. 

Of course he will get another coaching job the second we fire him, its the NFL, the good old boy network, that stooge Joe Barry got hired instantly as a LB coach....heck Norv is still around screwing up pro bowl qbs, that doesnt prove your point.

Jay is a horrible head coach, how much longer are you going to give him to improve, were in year 5!  Did you see that story about Meathead Manusky responding to DJ that they only had one 50 minute walk through before the Cowboys game because the players were loosing concentration and began joking around...WOW! or the story earlier in the year where the oline came out on a Friday in suits over their jerseys to practice..ooh yea and just happened to get pummeled that Sun. Just the players feeling they can do these things tells you all you need to about Jay as a HC.

Jay has 3 fatal flaws as a head coach. First, his defensive hires are beyond bad, I have no idea what the criteria is but its not performance. Hiring Barry made no sense at the time then turn around and hire someone from Barry's staff? Second, he cant manage time outside or inside a game. Third, he is way to much of a players coach.

Archived