Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is the worst post I've ever read here. Which is really saying something because I've read almost all 25,000 of my own posts before hitting "submit reply". 

This would be the biggest circus we've had yet, the worst nepotism hire we've made yet, the least deserved hires/promotions we've ever made, even considering this teams recent history...wow. I can't believe I just read this. 

Ok genius, show me the list of established GM's that are lining up to work for Dan Snyder.  You're delusional if you believe that GM candidates with legit credentials would be a part of Dan's circus.  Show me your list of people who would legitimately accept this crap job or keep your damn opinion to yourself. 

And btw.  Chris Cooley is > Bruce Allen.  Which is what you have now.  So....

The answer to ****ty front office hires isn't more ****ty front office hires. It's cleaning house and finding that one qualified person who has no prior connections to the owner or the franchise. Then giving them the power to rebuild a front office from the group up. Coaches, free agents, the crappy field conditions. All the should be handled by people who aren't here.

15 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Ok genius, show me the list of established GM's that are lining up to work for Dan Snyder.  You're delusional if you believe that GM candidates with legit credentials would be a part of Dan's circus.  Show me your list of people who would legitimately accept this crap job or keep your damn opinion to yourself. 

And btw.  Chris Cooley is > Bruce Allen.  Which is what you have now.  So....

My mind doesn't work like this. I don't just split up the candidates into the two groups that you seem to, and then pick someone in the middle area:

1. Candidates who would never work for Snyder

2. Anyone above the very very low Vinny/Allen bar that is currently in place. 

That's an irrational way of thinking to me. I want the proper process put into place, period. 

A thorough interview and vetting process pulling mid-level FO execs from around the league, particularly teams who have drafted well and built well in recent years. An extensive list of candidates who are coveted around the league, who will be promised full control. And I don't want an Allen-like figure in Snyder's ear about the hire, either. He can hire outside counsel/consultation like many other owners do, help from retired but respected FO guys who know what to look for. 

The last ****ing thing I want is a clownshoes "interview" process where:

1. Anyone currently in this organization is promoted.

2. Past ties to the organization are weighed even the slightest bit, especially being a former popular player and radio show host. What a disaster.

3. We start the process already having "our guy" in mind. 

4. We allow a HC candidate or hire to pick their own "GM". 

I'm sure there are more but that's what I've got so far. 

What you have suggested is not only a specifically terrible idea, but also a generally inefficient and poor hiring process, a continuation of the organizational disarray we've always had under Snyder. THAT's what needs to change above all else, not just the names of the guys in the offices. 

37 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Speaking of the Steelers. Who is the Assistant GM to Colbert? That's where I start looking for a new GM. A guy who has been living in a stable org for years and watching how to do it quietly and professionally. 

The Steelers?

From the penthouse to the outhouse, eh?

On a more serious note, I think if Dan does away with Bruce and all the directors and all executives with lofty, inflated titles that mean jack **** we can get some semblance of transparency and accountability here. Outside of Dan and Bruce, I don't know who the hell is in charge of what in the front office. The so-called executives under Bruce, I'm oblivious as to the scope of their responsibilities.

Just wipe the slate clean, Dan. Hire ONE guy. Give him the role and title of GENERAL MANAGER (i.e., not "Executive Personnel Director of Players Vice President Duke of NY A#1). 

in the state this franchise is in. Snyder should look for somebody respected around the league who might not be interested. Elder statesman to build a team.

Bill Polian, Paul Tagliabue, somebody like that. 

Let them talk to owners and GMs to find the right people. Build it to run itself.

5 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

The Steelers?

From the penthouse to the outhouse, eh?

On a more serious note, I think if Dan does away with Bruce and all the directors and all executives with lofty, inflated titles that mean jack **** we can get some semblance of transparency and accountability here. Outside of Dan and Bruce, I don't know who the hell is in charge of what in the front office. The so-called executives under Bruce, I'm oblivious as to the scope of their responsibilities.

Just wipe the slate clean, Dan. Hire ONE guy. Give him the role and title of GENERAL MANAGER (i.e., not "Executive Personnel Director of Players Vice President Duke of NY A#1). 

The Assistant to the GM in Pittsburgh is a Omar Kahn.

This is his profile from Wiki

As a student, Khan worked with the Tulane football team as an Undergraduate Assistant. Following his time with the Tulane Football program, Khan served as a Scouting/Personnel Intern with the New Orleans Saints. Once he graduated in 1997, he was brought on in a full-time role by the Saints in the Football Operations Department. He worked his way up the ladder in New Orleans by diligently handling anything that was asked of him.

In 2001 he was hired by the Steelers in the Football Operations/Player Personnel Department. In that role he has helped to assemble two Super Bowl winners. Along with General Manager Kevin Colbert, in 13 seasons they have drafted and signed/extended 23 Pro Bowl Players

Sounds like somebody I'd want.

If the day ever comes [ if there is a god ] when Bruce Allen and some, most, or all of the other FO personnel are let go, any GM who comes here HAS to tell Snyder up front ' look if you want me to do this the right way, stay out of my way'. As much as Snyder loves this team, his input is worthless. Yes, he's the owner, but an owner has to realize at some point he has to let go; no more gassing up Redskins1 for a quick trip to someone who is in the spotlight for the wrong reasons.

I'd be in favor of bringing back Scot, if that's what it took. Outside of his so-called drinking problem, the guy knows a thing or 2 about players and personnel. But regardless who they end up hiring, I hope it isn't someone associated with Allen or any former Redskin players. Its a professional football team, not a country club...

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/11/goodwill-may-have-finally-run-its-course-with-redskins-fans/

This offseason may be the first time fans actually make their displeasure known, however, and the organization will not be able to sell hope as they frequently do.  The Redskins have to make sure this is not an offseason of gaffes. The proof is in the pudding and right now the taste is a starting to become bitter to the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/11/goodwill-may-have-finally-run-its-course-with-redskins-fans/

This offseason may be the first time fans actually make their displeasure known, however, and the organization will not be able to sell hope as they frequently do.  The Redskins have to make sure this is not an offseason of gaffes. The proof is in the pudding and right now the taste is a starting to become bitter to the fanbase.

what are they worried about?  we always win the off season!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Skins fans have made their displeasure known before.  It’s gotten us Bruce Allen.

Synder is the anti-Christ, I’m positive of it.

5 hours ago, Csup said:

Skins fans have made their displeasure known before.  It’s gotten us Bruce Allen.

Synder is the anti-Christ, I’m positive of it.

Maybe this time we can get Jon Gruden to be the middleman GM between Jay and Bruce. He's been supposedly interested in working again and that's about the most Redskins thing that could possibly happen.

It'd also quiet down the 1/2 of the fan base that somehow bought into Bruce Allen in the first place.

15 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What you have suggested is not only a specifically terrible idea, but also a generally inefficient and poor hiring process, a continuation of the organizational disarray we've always had under Snyder. THAT's what needs to change above all else, not just the names of the guys in the offices. 

I agree with your desire.  However, after witnessing the Modus Operandi of our owner I doubt that we the fans will ever get what we all really want.  A true football person in charge and an owner who will stop interfering.  I'm pessimistic that we will ever see that happen.  I mean, Dan even interfered with Saint Joe with the Al Saunders hire.  Not to mention all the personnel fiascos!  (Archuletta, Brandon Lloyd, etc)

Round and round we go on this sick merry go round.  Dan hires someone with a good reputation.   Can't bring himself to just sit back and allow it to build.  Interferes.  Things go sideways.  Leaks come out to undermine the reputation of the fall guy.  Dan throws just enough money to land the next "football guy."  Everyone says that Dan has finally learned his lesson this time.  A little success is achieved.  Dan begins to interfere.  Leaks trickle out of Redskin's Park.  Not long after (usually the next year) Redskin's fans wake up to the same December nightmare; finding themselves trying to root for a team that is spiritually broken and in disarray. 

I am so close to switching my allegiance (been a fan since 1969) to the Ravens until Dan is no longer the owner of this team.  Because the reality is that Chris Cooley is the best you can hope for with Dan Snyder.  But, keep on dreaming my friend that a real, up and coming football guy will be allowed to run this team.  I hope your dream comes true but I don't dare to hope anymore. 

#SellTheTeam

While Jay is being taken to task for not winning with a scab team, the biggest issue in Ashburn is Scot's upcoming grievance hearing.  We've got scouts and employees in the building that don't know what the hell to do or say.  For fear of losing their current jobs and the likelihood of being blackballed elsewhere.

Thanks Bruce!

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I've said it before and will say it again -- Allen is absolute poison to this organization. The sooner he is shown the door, the better; and if I were Snyder, I would make sure to completely clean house and let the new GM bring in all of his own people.

Yep, Allen can be replaced by Eric Schaffer as VP and he can hire his own GM and the GM hire his own HC and the HC hire his coaching staff.  Not really that complicated, IMO.

Nick Caserio - Director of Player Personnel for the Patriots.... already said he's willing to listen if teams start calling

Louis Riddick - ESPN Analyst... used to work in our front office. played 8 seasons in the league. Great scouting talent. If you have to, make it a package deal with Josh McDaniels as HC

Eric DeCosta - Probably the biggest name out there in terms of talent but I think he's waiting for Ozzie Newsome to retire.

George Paton - Currently the Vikings Assistant GM... They've built one of the strongest rosters in the NFL.

I have only recently come back to this board and I am amazed at the volume of useless comments about players, George Allen's son who once played second string QB for UVA (that says it all), and all manner of wading into the weeds. There is only one valid thread on this whole board and that is the Dan (the dweeb) Snyder thread. Everything else is urinating into a hurricane not just a wind. This team totally mimics their wimp owner plain and simple. This should be the last post on this entire board.

6 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

I have only recently come back to this board and I am amazed at the volume of useless comments about players, George Allen's son who once played second string QB for UVA (that says it all), and all manner of wading into the weeds. There is only one valid thread on this whole board and that is the Dan (the dweeb) Snyder thread. Everything else is urinating into a hurricane not just a wind. This team totally mimics their wimp owner plain and simple. This should be the last post on this entire board.

It's good that you hold your own opinion in such high regard, but we'll all probably keep chatting around here if that's okay. This is really more of a support group than a brain trust, in case you've misunderstood. Nothing we say matters. Except for you obviously, your post is good enough to end all other discussion here forever. 

If somehow we're able to get a fresh new start in the FO, I'd stop with the whole "it's who you know" comfort thing.  We've become Tampa north, it seams.  Bruce and now Doug both have track records that are not the envy of the league.  We need to break this trend.  I know I read our GM search, after the Scot debacle, said it cast a wide net but the fact is, not one qualified person wanted to be here, be it due to the perceived money slight (1.5m annual salary) or the disfunction/track-record of working for Snyder since he's owned the team.  But, per chance, we can somehow attract one of the upper echelon underlings from another team, I'd start and stay with only looking at teams that continually find a way to the post-season, hire them and let them Stick With The Plan....   Someone needs to remind fan-boy Dan how JKC put the team together back in the '80s.  He hired Beathard who then hired Gibbs.  Having a GM hired after the coach is already in place hasn't really worked well for us.

One person (who I believe turned us down not even a year ago), I'd go after with a better salary offer than has been purported, is Eliot Wolf of the Packers.  His title there is Director of Football Operations, so we should be able to avoid being coach-blocked (for lack of better word) by promoting him to the title of GM here.  Give him the reigns and let him build this team.  Allow him to be accountable, which we don't seem to have anyone directly in that position today.  Let him evaluate and determine if the coach is good enough and if he decides a different direction is needed, allow him to make the changes he believes are best for the organization.

It's been a long time since we had an organization that was the envy of the league and the way the Kirk thing has played out, at least to me, has got to be the nail in the coffin for Snyder to see, but knowing how he just changed things, with the promotion of Doug, I have a feeling he'll play a wait-and-see game and we'll be back to square one, no matter what happens, in a few more years when the current core of the team drastically changes due to age and/or poor offseason moves.

2 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I agree with your desire.  However, after witnessing the Modus Operandi of our owner I doubt that we the fans will ever get what we all really want.  A true football person in charge and an owner who will stop interfering.

At the same time, we're urging him to interfere and stop Bruce Allen's madness asap...

On 12/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, Peregrine said:

Bruce Allen now has the distinction of having the worst 5-6 years as GM in redskins history.  For 2 years Scotty Mac was here, and we had 2 winning seasons.  All the years prior, and this year with Bruce, have been a disaster.  Thats just too much coincidence.  

They convinced themselves in their own arrogance that they didnt need him anymore, they had it figured out now.  They had themselves convinced it wasnt Scot, it was Bruce and Dan.

Allen has been a GM by name only for most of his career here, which has been Snyder's decision. It's not so easy to blame Bruce for all of our problems.

I don't understand why some credit Scot for our winning seasons. Scott didn't really build the 2015 team. Wheels were already in motion for the 2015 off season when he arrived, even Scot made mention of that.

Archived