Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

39 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I thought it was Mike Shanahan and Allen?

Yes, it was this in 2009.  Shanahan, I don't know why, wanted Allen.  Obviously Shanahan leaving was whatever as Allen stayed, but I don't know if it would've been the other way around.  My uninformed guess is that Shanahan believed he could get Allen to do whatever he wanted, but he grossly underestimated Snyder's involvement.

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Nick Caserio - Director of Player Personnel for the Patriots.... already said he's willing to listen if teams start calling

Louis Riddick - ESPN Analyst... used to work in our front office. played 8 seasons in the league. Great scouting talent. If you have to, make it a package deal with Josh McDaniels as HC

Eric DeCosta - Probably the biggest name out there in terms of talent but I think he's waiting for Ozzie Newsome to retire.

George Paton - Currently the Vikings Assistant GM... They've built one of the strongest rosters in the NFL.

wow the Nick Caserio thing sounds awesome, but thats too good to ever happen to us here lol.

1 hour ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I thought it was Mike Shanahan and Allen?

You know what, you are correct. I think what threw me off is that other than the trading of picks for RG3, I always thought Shanahan had most control over personnel decisions, and once he was fired Bruce Allen took a more hands on role which is why Gruden was hired in the first place.

https://www.dchotread.com/2017/12/11/bruce-must-go

..Here’s the bottom-line. Allen has represented the Redskins in a putrid manner. 

He was brought to Washington to restore the glory and tradition of a once-proud franchise. Instead, he’s made the burgundy and gold more of a joke. 

...Most of the good things that Allen has done has been beneficial to the Redskins bringing in more revenue or saving money.  Not because it was the right thing to do or the thing that made the most sense. 

Allen was also supposed to clean up the stench that he inherited. Instead he’s only made it worse. Allen was supposed to improve the image of Dan Snyder. Instead, all he’s managed to do is make himself the piñata many angry fans choose to attack. 

...Mike Shanahan reportedly had final say over football operations, but nobody has full control of everything at Redskins Park. Shanahan had a good amount of say. He didn't have full control.  Pressure and politics are an enormous dynamic at 21300 Redskin Park Drive. 

When Shanahan was released, Allen took over and began re-shaping the roster again which led to a short-term disaster on the field but bared fruit with some draft picks. The Redskins organization was able to draft valuable pieces like Morgan Moses, Bashaud Breeland, Spencer Long and others. However, they were (4-12) in Jay Gruden's first year but more importantly were a complete disaster as an organization. 

Then, the McCloughan era took shape (after an embarassing press conference) and the Redskins rebounded in 2015 when finally, Allen and Dan Snyder were convinced that the Griffin era was dead. 

The move to Kirk Cousins was a rare breakaway where the football people won over the power people. 

The move worked better than anybody could have imagined and then Allen completely screwed up the Cousins negotiation to a point where two plus years later, the situation is widely viewed a complete joke by many in the NFL industry. 

You don’t need the details to know how badly the Redskins screwed this situation up from start to finish and A to Z. You already know that. That is an indisputable fact. The Redskins wound up paying (for now) $ 44 million in fully guaranteed funds for two years of Cousins instead of paying between $35-40 million in fully guaranteed dollars for five years of stability at quarterback. 

Now, they are faced with either starting over and having very little to show for their financial investment OR they can pay another $ 34+million dollars to continue this ridiculous charade again. 

Very smart, Bruce. Very smart. The worst part? This isn’t revisionist history. As you may recall, I was a proponent of the transition tag which would have locked Cousins in on a four or five-year deal at a more expensive price than the Redskins wanted to pay but at a fair market-value rate for the quarterback position, even with a short period of proven performance. 

Instead the Redskins insulted Cousins, gambled and lost badly. They didn’t win enough on the field, they lost badly off the field and now they are in a lose-lose-lose situation. 

For a team that stresses “Winning off the Field’ – they have done plenty of losing in that regard too. 

Win or lose on the field the rest of the way, Bruce Allen doesn’t deserve the opportunity to keep driving the car off the road. 

Once is enough, six times is plenty. I’m done and the Redskins should be as well.  

12 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

agreed, bruce is a clown and needs to go.  but sadly, i think we're stuck for one more year.  i have a feeling next year we are looking at a 2009 type season where everything is just ugly and terrible, and we'll clean house again and start over.  ugh.

I thought this way until the last few days.  Mike Jones came on the radio today and suggested anything could be on the table -- hinting Bruce could be in trouble, too.  Russell has said the same thing and that's a departure for him. 

There seems to be some momentum -- more so than ever.  Does that translate to something?  I'm not sure.   Cooley who admits is close to Bruce seem to at least in a small way admit that Bruce is a key problem relating to the Kirk contract.

Maybe oddly its the Kirk contract in the off season coming to a head?  

"Snyder wants to win." Keeping Bruce around another year with his record should prove to everyone who still touts the phony line that "wanting to win" is way, way down on Snyder's list of wants. The franchise is inexplicably worth almost twice as much as it was when Allen took over, according to that Russell article. That'll keep that clown show entrenched for awhile, which is absolutely sickening. 

How anyone can look at that record and think this buffoon deserves to continue in his role of running a football team is absolutely beyond me. If Snyder fires him, like anyone who cares about performance ON the field would, I'll be impressed. 

At the very LEAST, I want him totally removed from day-to-day football operations. Let him deal with politicians, which is what that slimy piece of worm-ridden filth is best at. 

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

You know what, you are correct. I think what threw me off is that other than the trading of picks for RG3, I always thought Shanahan had most control over personnel decisions, and once he was fired Bruce Allen took a more hands on role which is why Gruden was hired in the first place.

Tell you what though: as the guy who controlled personnel, I don't think Shanahan did a bad job.

It's 2017 and virtually all of our biggest contributors are Shanahan's draft picks.

11 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Riddick is Cerrato part deux. He was terrible here, and he was even worse with the Eagles ("dream team"). No scouting abilities, just overspending for big names. The other names you mentioned sound interesting.

This. 

And I knew him when he was here. St Louis was always...interesting... :) 

Every bad mistake we made here with Vinny, Louis made in Philly when he went there. We hired Spurrier, they hired Chip Kelly. Deon, Bruce Smith etc etc, they tried the Dream Team too. Win the Division with a rookie QB who gets his knee trashed, well, they at least waited til Wentz's 2nd year. And yeah I know Riddick wasn't there when that happened, but it's the same thing. The Eagles continue to copy every mistake we do first. I call it Lombardi Envy. :) 

More talk on the radio today this time by Cooley-Sheehan about Bruce's job could be in jeopardy and they are talking about the subject in a way where it doesn't give the vibe that they are just making a wild guess at of nowhere.  They referred also to Jerry Brewer saying on Galdi's show that Bruce's job could be on the line.

Sheehan talking up how Cooley would be a great GM and asking for people to call in and tweet about it.

I am not suggesting Bruce is going down but its interesting to me that it could be in play.  Most of the media types until recently (my thoughts echoed this too) thought Bruce was teflon and we are stuck with him.  My point is if there is anything to any of this.  Hammering Dan with correspondence on this -- might add some fuel to the fire -- if there is a fire.

One thing that really trips me out when they have these conversations is that they are doing it at Redskins Park. :rofl89:Right down the hall, Bruce is brushing his teeth with Coors light, while Kevin and Cooley discuss his job being in limbo and being replaced with Cooley.

As for the whole Cooley as GM pitch they've got going on.  No thanks.  This franchise desperately needs a talented individual from a winning organization to come in and clean house and shake things up.  I would take Cooley over Bruce and Doug if that's the only option I'm presented with, but then again I'd take just about anyone over those two.

16 hours ago, onedrop said:

firing allen may be the psychological break with his boyhood memories the snyder needs to finally move on and stop trying to go BACK to the glory days. didn't this guy ever read the great gatsby? good lord.

how do you think Doug Willams would be as GM? If Allen is let go, I wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of a move (and it would keep Snyder entrenched in his respect of those glory days). Williams (like Elway) played the game and won at its highest level; he'd immediately command more respect from the players. I don't know why I sense this (maybe because Allen kept calling him "Curt"?), but I don't think Cousins respects Allen and I agree with some of the other comments that that may be a contract blocker.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As for the whole Cooley as GM pitch they've got going on.  

Oh, for the love of God! 

I think too little attention was paid to Mason Foster's tweets awhile back, where he clearly took swipes at Bruce Allen:

All I know is Scot wouldn’t have done me like that....just keep it real from the start

They doin the real 1s dirty & coddling the fake

I know he later came out and said "we good" after talking with Bruce, but stuff like that doesn't just pop up without a reason. Wouldn't be at all surprised if a ton of other players feel the same way about Allen, i.e., he doesn't have anyone's back but his own when all is said and done. Attitudes like that impact the way players play for a team and the way coaches coach. You have to at LEAST have someone in that position that people respect and want to play for, someone who at LEAST isn't a POS as a human being. 

Scott had a ton of flaws, but it's clear the players liked him if not loved him, and it's also clear that HE legitimately cared about them as people. That story of how Bruce reprimanded Scott for DARING to comfort a player when he was having a tough time says all you need to know about Bruce Allen. You can't just have "employer and employee" in a game like football. You have to have people who believe in each other on some level and who trust each other. 

Reason #204 that Bruce and his Coors Lite toothpaste need to be shown the curb. 

12 hours ago, TK said:

This. 

I know that sometimes you hear things, TK. Do you have any inclination that changes at Bruce's level could be coming? It seems like more of a pipe dream than reality, but I'd love to be wrong!

What I hope Snyder would eventually do when determining who could run the team is lean on some previously successful people. Couldn't he hire a "board" for a month to help him come up with a front office structure, screen candidates, etc.? 

14 minutes ago, quettefan said:

how do you think Doug Willams would be as GM? If Allen is let go, I wouldn't be surprised to see that kind of a move (and it would keep Snyder entrenched in his respect of those glory days). Williams (like Elway) played the game and won at its highest level; he'd immediately command more respect from the players. 

To take my own go at this -- Williams to me doesn't ooze competence.  We covered the topic here before where we got into some detail about  even some of Doug's advocates concede he's not one of the higher regarded talent evaulators in the league.  So him commanding respect from the players -- maybe from a SB nostalgia stand point but I got my doubts that the players all see him as some sharp personnel guy.   As much as I'd like Bruce gone or moved to a different position in the organization, i might hate Doug being elevated even worse.  

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

One thing that really trips me out when they have these conversations is that they are doing it at Redskins Park. :rofl89:Right down the hall, Bruce is brushing his teeth with Coors light, while Kevin and Cooley discuss his job being in limbo and being replaced with Cooley

I agree.  The irony makes it hilarious.

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As for the whole Cooley as GM pitch they've got going on.  No thanks.  This franchise desperately needs a talented individual from a winning organization to come in and clean house and shake things up.  

Considering Scot getting canned.  And they replaced him of all things with Bruce and Doug -- got my doubts that Dan would go all in for a clean house.  But I agree that I'd like it.  Just wondering if that's too much to expect or count on.  Bruce being on the ropes would be to me a minor miracle.   And if Cooley of all people does personnel, I can go for that ride.  I've paid attention to his draft takes over the years and he's been on the money a lot -- granted though he doesn't delve deeper than the players who are poised to land in the first 3 rounds.  Though, I admit Cooley's appointment would add to the circus/PR stunt flavor of Dan's previous hires.  So i get any apprehension.  And I admit part of my like for Cooley is he's a big Kirk and Jay guy.

Anything that involves getting Bruce out of personnel and that doesn't elevate Doug beyond the role he has now -- I'd be thrilled with.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Anything that involves getting Bruce out of personnel and that doesn't elevate Doug beyond the role he has now -- I'd be thrilled with.  

I agree 100% on this note.  Doug Williams being elevated any further than he already is scares the heck out of me.  You're also right about Dan most likely never cleaning house and handing the keys to someone he's not familiar with already.  Which is why I voted No on would he ever win a Super Bowl as owner.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree 100% on this note.  Doug Williams being elevated any further than he already is scares the heck out of me.  You're also right about Dan most likely never cleaning house and handing the keys to someone he's not familiar with already.  Which is why I voted No on would he ever win a Super Bowl as owner.

Yeah its kind of sad.  The main reason why I put the brakes on asking for a real GM structure with someone with a killer reputation for personnel is that it doesn't seem important to Dan.  And that is the #1 reason why this organization IMO has been a failure under his reign. 

I hate being tough on Doug because the 1987 season was a great one and I recall it well.  Got a lot of respect for what he did.  But Doug's reputation in personnel coupled with how he comes off in interviews doesn't give me even a whit of confidence that he's great at what he does.  I don't think its an accident that Doug has never been mentioned as someone coveted by other organizations.  

Would I take Cooley over Doug and Bruce yeah by a mile.  Would he be my top choice?  Far from it.  It's just that he fits the Dan type of hire.  He's a big name.  He'd get buzz.  It would be fun for the media, etc.  It does have a clownish feel to it.  Having said that, I'd hate to kill Cooley for those reasons because he seems to have a good eye for talent.  Probably far from the best.  But at least judging by how they come off on air, Cooley is miles ahead of Doug.  And he does seem to have a good relationship with Jay so I'd think they'd work well together.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan talking up how Cooley would be a great GM and asking for people to call in and tweet about it.

If there's one person less qualified to be a GM than Bruce Allen, its Chris Cooley. 

Yeah, THERE'S a move that proves were not just promoting underqualified individuals to pander to fan nostalgia.  

Image result for so dumb gif

2 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

If there's one person less qualified to be a GM than Bruce Allen, its Chris Cooley. 

Yeah, THERE'S a move that proves were not just promoting underqualified individuals to pander to fan nostalgia.  

I've gotta disagree here, when it comes to personnel, Cooley over Allen every day of the week.  Even without formal scouting experience.

But the 2nd part of your post is 100% spot on.  Not a good look or direction for the franchise in any way.  But like SIP mentioned above, it's highly unlikely that Dan will ever really hand over the keys to his franchise to someone he doesn't know, no matter how qualified they are. 

9 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I get what you're saying, and this should NOT be in any way construed as wanting Cooley as GM, but if someone offered me the choice of EITHER Allen or Cooley in that role, I'd take Cooley in a heartbeat. 

That's how pathetic I think BA is at this. 

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even without formal scouting experience.

Dude, that's just not a smart decision.  That's a sitcom idea.  Every problem people have with Allen and Williams making decisions, whether its a lack of a proven GM track record, having too friendly a relationship with the owner, pandering to fans, history with alcohol, applies to Cooley even more so.  

To me this comes across as fans giving up and saying, well if were gonna be losers, at least lets be entertaining losers.  I can't watch the Redskins play football so lets watch a Redskins reality show instead.

Archived