Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

7 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I'd also participate in sending and sharing something like this. Whether it makes a difference or not, it would make me feel better to actually do SOMETHING. 

Sort of like Jay totally quitting yesterday after the Breeland pick-6. Sure, the chances were still incredibly slim that the Skins could pull off a win, but you still have to try. 

All this said, it's deja vu all over again for this team. Another era ends with a fan-driven initiative to effect change. 

I know some here are mixed on Jay and to each their own on the front.  But IMO even if I wanted Jay out -- I wouldn't throw him into the mix.   I think it dilutes the message and feels more like flailing at that point.  IMO the message needs to be direct.

If anyone wants a coach out, Dan has never been shy to oblige.  So like I said even if I wanted Jay gone (and I don't want him gone), I wouldn't sweat about that since it will happen eventually.  It's been Dan's ammo.  What doesn't happen under Dan is a normal FO.  Guys like Vinny and Bruce are the ones who seem to have a never-ending leash.  That's the culture issue along with Dan's part of it. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some here are mixed on Jay and to each their own on the front.  But IMO even if I wanted Jay out -- I wouldn't throw him into the mix.   I think it dilutes the message and feels more like flailing at that point.  IMO the message needs to be direct.

I wasn't suggesting that, just using that decision at the end of yesterday's game as a metaphor for being willing to try something like this even if the chances of it effecting any change are small. I go back and forth on Jay, but he's the least of the problems. If people focus on him, which is I'm sure what the FO wants, we'll once again be ignoring the far bigger problems and culprits behind our perpetual suck. So yeah, I wouldn't mention Jay in this either.  

21 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I wasn't suggesting that, just using that decision at the end of yesterday's game as a metaphor for being willing to try something like this even if the chances of it effecting any change are small. I go back and forth on Jay, but he's the least of the problems. If people focus on him, which is I'm sure what the FO wants, we'll once again be ignoring the far bigger problems and culprits behind our perpetual suck. So yeah, I wouldn't mention Jay in this either.  

OK I got it, thanks.   For me thinking deeper on this, I don't know if the fan card is exactly how to play it.   Am I giving up my fandom?  Not at all.  I am a fan to the bitter end.  However, do I think this nonsense effects future generations who weren't solidified from the winning culture of the 80s/early90s -- from at least what I observed, I think so.  The idea of buying less Redskins items - I think that happens via osmosis with most of us when the team is losing.

Having said that, the fan card is a good gimmick that's noticeable.  I think just in general Dan being flooded with correspondence is a good thing.  From my small dose of being on the receiving end of correspondence -- the volume of it is remembered much more than any content. 

42 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I'd also participate in sending and sharing something like this. Whether it makes a difference or not, it would make me feel better to actually do SOMETHING. 

Sort of like Jay totally quitting yesterday after the Breeland pick-6. Sure, the chances were still incredibly slim that the Skins could pull off a win, but you still have to try. 

All this said, it's deja vu all over again for this team. Another era ends with a fan-driven initiative to effect change. 

#DrainThePark

It's not that I disagree with Jay not being ready. But without getting your front office replaced first. I don't trust the next coach they hire.

well, I guess save the picture above. Spread it through threads here on ES. Post it on facebook and twitter with the hashtag #RedskinsReboot.

Time for a #RedskinsReboot @Redskins, @ESPN980, @1067TheFan, @NBCSRedskins, @BMitchliveNBCS, @RickDocWalker, @Czabe, @TheCooleyZone, @BurgundyBlog, @bmcnally14, @johnkeim, @@AlGaldi, @HogsHaven, @dcsportsbog, @RealBramW, @kevins980

If you just want to like and RT.

Scott's description on Bruce was absolutely spot on; dude is a politician....Clueless, shady, arrogant and too much power for his own good.  Ever since we were "winning the offseason", I have wanted him gone.  Leadership and attitude start from the top, if it's good it's infectious and spreads....same if it's not.  Our culture has been horrendous for years, we constantly ride these highs of excitement believing things have changed this year and we are hit with the reality that things have not changed.  Dan seems to be less meddlesome than when he first purchased the team, but his choices for GM's are terrible.  IMHO Scott was the best we have had in the Snyder era and that turned into a circus like everything else with the Redskins... 

I have to wonder, what qualified GM would want this job?

Just now, sknz45 said:

Scott's description on Bruce was absolutely spot on; dude is a politician....Clueless, shady, arrogant and too much power for his own good.  Ever since we were "winning the offseason", I have wanted him gone.  Leadership and attitude start from the top, if it's good it's infectious and spreads....same if it's not.  Our culture has been horrendous for years, we constantly ride these highs of excitement believing things have changed this year and we are hit with the reality that things have not changed.  Dan seems to be less meddlesome than when he first purchased the team, but his choices for GM's are terrible.  IMHO Scott was the best we have had in the Snyder era and that turned into a circus like everything else with the Redskins... 

With Bruce as Team Prez, no good GM would want the gig. 

17 minutes ago, sknz45 said:

Depending on what the set-up of the front office is, you could get a very qualified GM. Even a great one.

One thing there is a lot of in the NFL, whether it's a player, a coach, a GM, or even an owner, is ego. There is a lot of ego in the NFL.

Knowing that, they look at the Redskins, probably, as a "high-risk, high-reward" type of opportunity. I mean, what a feather in their cap if they are able to turn what's seen as a dysfunctional franchise around. They'll be seen as a brilliant genius. If it doesn't work out, well, most will think it is just Snyder and his dysfunctional franchise, not the GM.

I think they can lure good front office talent here. If they are interested in doing so.

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think they can lure good front office talent here. If they are interested in doing so.

Part of the deal here though is you have to put up with everyone else.  Scot, for example, was hired and touted as having full control over the personnel department of the team.  Yet somehow, he was really enamored with everyone at Redskins Park already and didn't want to bring in any of his own guys?  That's just hard to believe.  Then when it's time to replace him, the long exhaustive search didn't leave Redskins Park where they conveniently up Doug Williams title.  A guy who's interview consisted of a plan to keep everything pretty much as is, with no real general manager.  I'm not saying that everyone in the FO is a terd by any stretch but I find it hard to believe any legit GM would want to come here without actually having full control of who stays, who goes, even if it means breaking some hearts.

What ever happened to the Fire Bruce Allen petition from a while back? I remember the heat being dialed up on him after the Scot firing, but there has to be Something we can do to get this inept clown out of this organization. I understand an empty stadium speaks volumes, but will that really happen?

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not saying that everyone in the FO is a terd by any stretch but I find it hard to believe any legit GM would want to come here without actually having full control of who stays, who goes, even if it means breaking some hearts.

Well, that's why I hedged the beginning of my post with "Depending on what the set-up of the front office is....." :) 

I think if a legit GM gets it, in writing, that he has full control, you could get one here. If he has a sense that he is just going to be Snyder's lackey, and has to run every decision through him before he can do anything, I think then he would stay away.

I know they claimed Scott had "full control", but that was obviously a lie. A lie Scott was evidently willing to live with because he was a two-time, front office fired person (let go because of personal problems), and was ready to take anything to get back into a front office.

A more established GM won't put up with such things.

The only saving grace this team has in terms of having a qualified GM want to come here, is that there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. THey are highly coveted.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it's starting to feel like Bruce's days could be numbered.

10 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

My absolute dream scenario is that this will bring to light how often Allen is "brushing his teeth with Coors Light" and they have no choice but to get rid of him.

This is literally the only chance Snyder has now.  Like an absolute idiot he ceded control to Allen over Scot, probably gave him an extension, and then gave Gruden and extension.  They milked Dan for all his money, because if he fires them now, he has to pay them $15-25 million just as severance.  

But if it comes out that Allen did indeed do that, and from reports Gruden as well, that lets Snyder fire people for cause and not have to pay.  Even if he wanted to, thats what it probably would take.

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

A more established GM won't put up with such things.

I agree but I just have such a hard time believing that Snyder knows how to go about finding one of those and subsequently being okay with someone he doesn't know very well having the keys to his franchise.  Unlike a lot of fans, I don't believe Snyder is the devil only out to steal their money.  But I do believe he hasn't a clue about what makes organizations successful and it's been the lingering problem since he purchased the team. 

Personally, I'd like to see Doug Williams promoted to team President (Bruce fired) and Cooley established as GM.  Cooley knows every phase of the game and he knows who loves football and who doesn't.  He has been pretty much spot on about personnel moves except for Pryor.  But that's more on Pryor than anyone else.  (Should have spent more in the playbook and less time playing with cones).  Cooley loves the Redskins and would work his tail off to bring home a Super Bowl.  The players would respect him and the coaches would have a good relationship with him.  More importantly, I think he could get Cousins locked up in a team friendly deal.

I just don't see Cousins signing a LTD with Bruce Allen involved.  And I'm not willing to go thru the growing pains of the next snot nosed QB. 

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Personally, I'd like to see Doug Williams promoted to team President (Bruce fired) and Cooley established as GM.  Cooley knows every phase of the game and he knows who loves football and who doesn't.  He has been pretty much spot on about personnel moves except for Pryor.  But that's more on Pryor than anyone else.  (Should have spent more in the playbook and less time playing with cones).  Cooley loves the Redskins and would work his tail off to bring home a Super Bowl.  The players would respect him and the coaches would have a good relationship with him.  More importantly, I think he could get Cousins locked up in a team friendly deal.

I just don't see Cousins signing a LTD with Bruce Allen involved.  And I'm not willing to go thru the growing pains of the next snot nosed QB. 

I agree on the Doug Williams as President, he really looks like it.

But I'm gonna say no on Cooley as a GM. I wouldn't be against offering him a job in coaching, scouting if he's up for it. But not straight away GM. I'm sick of those experiments.

I'd rather go after a more confirmed guy. More exepensive, probably, but more safe. And with Bruce out and Williams as President, it's a pretty safe job. If you start winning, Dan will fell in love with him and will keep everyone for 20 years...

26 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

What in the WORLD has Doug Williams done to inspire anyone to think he'd make a good professional football executive? 

Doug Williams as team president will never happen...I'd guess that if Bruce goes, Doug is gone with him. 

16 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I agree on the Doug Williams as President, he really looks like it.

But I'm gonna say no on Cooley as a GM. I wouldn't be against offering him a job in coaching, scouting if he's up for it. But not straight away GM. I'm sick of those experiments.

I'd rather go after a more confirmed guy. More exepensive, probably, but more safe. And with Bruce out and Williams as President, it's a pretty safe job. If you start winning, Dan will fell in love with him and will keep everyone for 20 years...

Oh, of course I'd love to see an established GM take over.  But with Dan as an owner I don't think it's going to happen.  Heck, we couldn't even get a decent DC and had to settle for Manusky.  Even though I like him he's not on par with a Gus Bradley. 

4 minutes ago, The Slamming Butcher said:

What in the WORLD has Doug Williams done to inspire anyone to think he'd make a good professional football executive? 

Doug Williams as team president will never happen...I'd guess that if Bruce goes, Doug is gone with him. 

The main job for a new Team President would be getting a new stadium.  Who else would you rather have negotiating for the team?  Dan? Doug Williams is a classy guy admired by all. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Oh, of course I'd love to see an established GM take over.  But with Dan as an owner I don't think it's going to happen.  Heck, we couldn't even get a decent DC and had to settle for Manusky.  Even though I like him he's not on par with a Gus Bradley. 

The main job for an new Team President would be getting a new stadium.  Who else would you rather have negotiating for the team?  Dan? Doug Williams is a classy guy admired by all. 

Never said he wasn't a good dude, but Team President? I ask again....what exactly has Doug Williams done to make anyone think he'd be a good professional football executive? Being admired by all is an awfully low bar.

Nope. Done with former players or relatives of coaches. Even the Steelers make the younger Rooney's work their way up the hard way through the front office.

Speaking of the Steelers. Who is the Assistant GM to Colbert? That's where I start looking for a new GM. A guy who has been living in a stable org for years and watching how to do it quietly and professionally. 

No Doug. No Cooley (WTF is that?). 

43 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Personally, I'd like to see Doug Williams promoted to team President (Bruce fired) and Cooley established as GM.

This is the worst post I've ever read here. Which is really saying something because I've read almost all 25,000 of my own posts before hitting "submit reply". 

This would be the biggest circus we've had yet, the worst nepotism hire we've made yet, the least deserved hires/promotions we've ever made, even considering this teams recent history...wow. I can't believe I just read this. 

Archived