Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Yeah if he gets KC signed for a good price then that should buy him lots of time but it hasn't appeared to be the goal the last couple years and the arrogance attributed to Allen in all of this reeks of Snyder revealing his butthurt. 

Allen might be a douchebag or maybe not. It's hard to tell because he's always been a Snyder puppet. I've said that on this board since December 17th 2009.

37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

However, there are other problems with Bruce - and to be fair this could be a Danny thing - but he just does not handle things in a professional manner.

I think that's the kicker to me with Bruce the lack of professionalism.  I'd extend that to basic competence.   

The rest isn't directed at you.  If people want to defend that he's misunderstood or a good man corrupted by Dan or the series of other defenses I see from time to time. 

I don't buy in part because I can't get over the fact that we've seen blatant incompetence and PR instincts that my 9 year old would understand are dumb.

The winning off the field comment.  The its his grandmother drill about Scot and then leaking the stuff about the drinking -- and then thinking he'd come out on top of that narrative?  The press release about Kirk in July might have been the dumbest non-personnel move I've seen from any sports franchise.   

On the Kirk contract, we heard from Scot that Bruce disagreed with him about offering Kirk which was probably something like 12 million a year or so during the 2015 season (the figure is speculation but its lower clearly then market value after the end of 2015), then blew off Kirk's agent's 19.5 million offer in 2016.     We talk about do we forgive Bruce if he locks in Kirk.  I might because it would be such a surprise that out of sheer giddiness I'd be forgiving.  But still -- Bruce's "instincts" either cost the team their franchise QB or cost them 2-3 players they could have retained because of all the money that have to pay now which they wouldn't have to otherwise.

I think is was apt when Scot was asked on twitter to describe Bruce with one word and he said "politician".  To me Bruce comes off like an incompetent politician and insulated from the public and surrounds himself with guys like Doug who kiss up to him. 

It doesn't convince me that Bruce is the guy just because he can follow Scot's notes in 2014 and 2017.  Heck I can run the team's draft board if you give me Scot's notes.  Ok our pick is up -- who is Scot's highest rated player left on the board?  Montae Nicholson.  Ok, call the pick in!   I tweeted Scot months back that I saw the report that Swearinger was his top FA pick.  And he liked the tweet.   

The 2018 off season will be the first Scot free one since 2013.  Will see how it goes.  But Bruce's incompetence comes through on some of the simplest things -- hard for me to imagine that its will work out better on the heavy lifting.   

If someone can't make Ramen noodles without screwing it up royally and comically -- tough for me to believe that the souffle wasn't mostly baked by the guy with a reputation for competence who left the recipe and ingredients.      That guy is gone now.   Bruce/Doug (Dan?) and whomever is coming up with the recipe and ingredients now. 

24 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Theories are not missing here :D

Let's all take a moment to remember and examine the time that Bruce, when the waterboy for the Bears, stole and crashed George Halas' private golf cart after a joyride. 

Bruce actually got chewed out more than a few times by Halas. Once for lining up all the Bears' helmets along the endline, none of which had anyone's name or number on them. 

Let's also overlay that instance with the time when Bruce's dad denied the identity of Bruce during a game, after Bruce had insulted an official to such an extent that it drew a penalty. Bruce's dad pretended he didn't even know him. 

Just fun little memories to enjoy and laugh at. 

18 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

That was the day Dan Snyder turned in one puppet for a new and improved version.

The funny thing is that I was always under the impression that Allen was "selected" by Shanahan. Essentially, he was someone Shanahan agreed to work with. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think that's the kicker to me with Bruce.  If people want to defend that he's misunderstood or a good man corrupted by Dan or the series of other defenses I see from time to time. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean here, but we should probably limit the conversation to whether Snyder and Allen are competent at their jobs. We don't really have any reason to start to question what type of human beings they are and, quite frankly, it's really not all that relevant. 

21 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean here, but we should probably limit the conversation to whether Snyder and Allen are competent at their jobs. We don't really have any reason to start to question what type of human beings they are and, quite frankly, it's really not all that relevant. 

Yeah respectfully you are misunderstanding.  I was just addressing a defense that I see sometimes of Bruce that he's just a stooge for Dan and we don't know that he's really the problem because he could just be following orders.  

I get your point but I didn't say the converse that Bruce is a bad man. My argument was all football related in that post.  You say it should all be about their competence.  Agree.  That was the theme of my post.   I referred to the word "competence" 5 times in that post.  I didn't take a single dig on them outside of football.  So we are on the same page.

I just hit up something I see from time to time (not that often) that Bruce might be fine but is corrupted by Dan.  I didn't mean literally that Bruce is a good guy or bad guy as a person.  I got no idea.  We are talking purely football.  Heck I've been critical of Dan, its not about who he is as a human being.  It's about who he is as a football guy.  That's all I care about in this type of conversation. 

Dan does a lot for charity.  I've spent a lot of money and time on their Charity Foundation auctions.  Good people involved in it.   Jim Zorn comes off as one of the greatest human beings on earth.  But I was critical of him as a coach. One had nothing to do with another.

Back to this, I think both Bruce and Dan are problems for different reasons.  And yeah IMO its all about competence.

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We don't really have any reason to start to question what type of human beings they are and, quite frankly, it's really not all that relevant. 

Hhm. Well, everyone has a papertrail. Even Bruce.

And, uh, when patterns emerge upon someone, in a lifetime of activity, formulations can be made. Good or bad. 

But should those things be taken into account? 

Relevancy?

Well, one thing I know is that McCartney and Cousins are a part of God Squad. That's cool. I was too back in High School.

They may be the actual embodiment of all of those FCA meetings. The two who made it, the fraction of the 1%. 

(sorry to even bring up the big R word). 

Another thing I know is that Bruce ... (uh) for lack of a better term, isn't in the same category, by way of the papertrail, actions.

Cousins/McCartney are ... divergent in a number of categories with Bruce. Communication being one. Philosophy, I'd argue is perhaps another one.

Even deed, being different. 

So, when two groups of divergent and different "whatevers," are trying to negotiate or communicate and onlookers are seeing an apparent disconnect, I think one could argue that who the people are, fundamentally, at their cores, does influence how they interact with one another. 

When FCA is negotiating with ... uh, "Bob Sugar," different beliefs and miscommunications can (and will) occur. 

(This is not about religion). 

10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The funny thing is that I was always under the impression that Allen was "selected" by Shanahan. Essentially, he was someone Shanahan agreed to work with. 

I am in no way a shanny fan but Bruce Allen was hired before MS and was thrust upon him. And to get shanny to agree he was told he had full control of the roster. It is clear that is not what happened. But to be honest I still hold shanny somewhat accountable. When you have a contract that says - I have complete control then you don't honor that contract, you GTFO.

Anyway, the main point is that Bruce was 100% a Snyder pick. Shanny inherited him.

I completely disagree. What kind of people they are and their professionalism goes directly to how competent they can be. Do they need to be angels? No, of course not. But the lack of even some of the most basic human courtesies shown by both these men is especially atrocious. Also, the lack of standing by a commitment is also really bad. Players do not want to come to an organization where you can't trust the management. Also easier to keep in house guys without over paying.

Sorry, but the two are inextricably linked.

McCartney does come off as a perfect agent personality wise for Kirk or he's at least good at giving that vibe in interviews.   They come off as the same type of guy.  McCartney also has been a personnel guy so he can make his own deductions of the competence of a FO where Kirk might take his opinion on that seriously.

I met Bruce for about 3 minutes so obviously not enough to gauge his personality.   So I can just go on reports, and yeah a guy who some say brushes his teeth with Coors Lights and will cut people off the knees if he feels threatened, etc -- doesn't strike me as a good match with Kirk and McCartney.

Keim in particular in the offseason has hinted that there isn't much love between McCartney and Bruce.  Keim said today on Galdi's show that someone close to the action (not Kirk but it gave me the vibe its the agent) was annoyed by the Rapoport report.  Keim has hit hard that Kirk's camp (again presume its McCartney) was very annoyed by the press release in the summer.   That press release had a pretty direct dig at the agent.

Albert Breer talked about it too months back about how from what he's gathered, it was very important for Bruce to look like the winner of the negotiation and that impeded compromise.  Then you got Scot kicked out the door in a pretty ugly way.   And McCartney and Scot were supposedly friendly.

Whether Bruce is a good guy or not outside of football, I got no idea.   In football terms, I think he's bad for the organization for the most part.  But I agree with Monk's point above about the different personalities could be an issue.  Evidence looks pretty overwhelming that it does.  

I think the franchise's future is on the line and it oddly just might be about our team president and Kirk's agent not liking each other.  If so, what a wacky way for the organization to find their way back to the bottom.

From everything I've read about both men, my interpretation on things is that McCartney thinks Bruce was the antithesis of what a player Agent should be and is the antithesis of what an Executive should be. 

A sense of bad blood hangs thick in the air surrounding all of the negotiation developments. 

Of course I could be totally, laughingly, wrong. 

3 hours ago, William Barbour said:

2014-2017 There has been progression on this roster. 

2015 and 2016 McCloughan ran things*. 2017 they used his draft and FA board. Now he's gone.

*We were told he had full control over the roster, but reports have stated that was not the case.

It certainly looks like Bruce is laying the ground work for not re-signing Cousins after 2017: 

I highly doubt Dan Patrick is tight with Mo Harris and Ryan Grant. 

These leaks are coming from Bruce and/or one of his goons. 

Thomas Boswell said it perfectly a few weeks ago, there's zero % chance Kirk returns in 2018 and it has to do with egos and being butt hurt over the RGIII debacle. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/enjoy-kirk-cousinss-final-games-with-the-redskins-this-is-about-more-than-money/2017/11/28/90e42e1e-d46c-11e7-b62d-d9345ced896d_story.html?utm_term=.ece04112b50c

and Boz is not a bull-****ter, he's connected with DC sports. 

12 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

It certainly looks like Bruce is laying the ground work for not re-signing Cousins.......

12 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

and Boz is not a bull-****ter, he's connected with DC sports. 

Boz must have been reading my stuff for years ...:rofl89:

and I'm not connected at all and just happen to live 12 time zones away in the Philippines.

Some more interesting reading on what Bucs fans thought/think of Bruce. Link title pretty much says it all. 

https://www.bucsnation.com/2012/3/10/2859849/bruce-allen-worst-gm-in-football

I can really relate to this comment, lol:

I never could figure out why they brought that guy in he was a moron. Plus he just had this preppy I’m a jerkoff look to him. I never liked him and he ran our team into the ground with his crummie draft picks.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

It certainly looks like Bruce is laying the ground work for not re-signing Cousins after 2017: 

I highly doubt Dan Patrick is tight with Mo Harris and Ryan Grant. 

These leaks are coming from Bruce and/or one of his goons. 

Cooley and Kevin were discussing this on their show this morning and I only caught the tail end of it...

But they said their research points to one guy, Terrell Pryor.  Kevin did say that folks are not crazy to think it could be planted by the FO like in years past, but they firmly believe it's gotta be Pryor.

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cooley and Kevin were discussing this on their show this morning and I only caught the tail end of it...

But they said their research points to one guy, Terrell Pryor.  Kevin did say that folks are not crazy to think it could be planted by the FO like in years past, but they firmly believe it's gotta be Pryor.

Don't you have to actually catch passes before you're considered a receiver though?

23 hours ago, Makaveli said:

2015 and 2016 McCloughan ran things*. 2017 they used his draft and FA board. Now he's gone.

*We were told he had full control over the roster, but reports have stated that was not the case.

Like I said....

His board wasn't exactly his. It was a combination of the whole FO. Cooley came out today and said Ionnadis was Grudens pick. 

Believe what you want. You're saying it's his board, but then say...."He didn't have full control according to reports". Basically you're contradicting yourself to make Scot look like a saint and the rest of the FO look like garbage to fit your agenda. 

Archived