Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

The saddest part about all of this is that there are pieces here.  But Bruce Allen has never been the guy capable of building a team around those pieces and most importantly, what the head coach is looking to do.  Add to that, he's entirely unlikable which makes his job even more difficult.  

There will always be a segment of fans that will convince themselves the next big coach hire will help to cure the ills of the franchise.  But that segment has been dying year over year.  Dan cannot afford to let anymore bail, yet here he is - spinning wheels with only a few more days left in the year.  They let the head coach go 3 months ago, which presented an opportunity to assess the situation and get a head start, and here we are.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The saddest part about all of this is that there are pieces here.  But Bruce Allen has never been the guy capable of building a team around those pieces and most importantly, what the head coach is looking to do.  Add to that, he's entirely unlikable which makes his job even more difficult.  

There will always be a segment of fans that will convince themselves the next big coach hire will help to cure the ills of the franchise.  But that segment has been dying year over year.  Dan cannot afford to let anymore bail, yet here he is - spinning wheels with only a few more days left in the year.  They let the head coach go 3 months ago, which presented an opportunity to assess the situation and get a head start, and here we are.

If Bruce is still anywhere near the team next week, I'll seriously consider watching streaming of Lions' games instead of Redskins...

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Just saw something about the Falcons naming Raheem DC?

Cool, let them go on, that'll remove one stupid name out of Dan's list.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I am guessing Bruce is trying to convince Dan behind the scenes that the Bruce friendly coaches are the best choices anyway.  And fans really don't dislike him.  They just dislike losing.  And those rascal Redskins fans will embrace him, Dan and the whole crew when they start burning up the league next year.

I think our one hope ironically is if Dan's bait in the water actually lures a potential big name like Meyer and he gets so jazzed by it that he will do whatever the dude wants including dumping Bruce.

Following all the gossip type reports, they've gone from being fairly sure Bruce is gone weeks back to now a mixed feeling where they don't know.  Finlay has been the one consistent one saying he will get canned.  The others have been hedging.  Russell has said a couple of times that one of his better sources in the FO told him weeks back that they think Bruce is gone but are now thinking Bruce survives.  At the very least, I presume Bruce is trying to rally behind the scenes with some narrative.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing Bruce is trying to convince Dan behind the scenes that the Bruce friendly coaches are the best choices anyway.  And fans really don't dislike him.  They just dislike losing.  And those rascal Redskins fans will embrace him, Dan and the whole crew when they started burning up the league next year.

There is not a doubt in my mind that's taking place.  I'm sure that's been the case for years now.  But that's what makes this so incredibly sad.  There was significant evidence before Bruce got here that he has no business running the football side of an operation.  His record in charge here is worse than Vinny.  His blooper reel is extremely lengthy.  There's not one ounce of good things to be said about the dude by anyone.  The stadium is empty minus opposing fans.  The new stadium is currently just a figment of his imagination.  I just cannot for the life of me understand how this decision is hard, no matter how much he likes playing putt putt with Bruce.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is not a doubt in my mind that's taking place.  I'm sure that's been the case for years now.  But that's what makes this so incredibly sad.  There was significant evidence before Bruce got here that he has no business running the football side of an operation.  His record in charge here is worse than Vinny.  His blooper reel is extremely lengthy.  There's not one ounce of good things to be said about the dude by anyone.  The stadium is empty minus opposing fans.  The new stadium is currently just a figment of his imagination.  I just cannot for the life of me understand how this decision is hard, no matter how much he likes playing putt putt with Bruce.

I know some think its about Dan just wants a toady.  And I bet that's part of the soup.  But you can find another toady and dump Bruce so i think it runs much deeper than that.   I think we got an owner with the emotional maturity of a teenager and I think he genuinely has a mega man crush on the dude.  Dan is rich but that doesn't buy friends.  Bruce I gather is who he wants to be like as a personality.  Bruce is the outgoing and more socially comfortable version of Dan.    Bruce would be the president of his fraternity type.  I just think Dan has so much money, its not the be all and end all for him.  His friendship with Bruce IMO is likely huge.  

Russell who has been arguably the best of late at getting things right about the FO has said multiple times that the personal side of Dan's relationship with Bruce looms large in the decision and thereby its not a pure business decision for him.  He and Cerrato were supposedly inseparable too and now they don't really speak and it bugs Dan and he's not eager to lose his BFF again like that.   

I've posted this clip from Seinfeld multiple times relating to the Dan-Bruce dynamic.  But that clip so feels to me what we got in the soup with Dan.  My gut is this still goes down but I got little doubt if it does it's with Dan being very reluctant to do it.  

These reporters don't know a damn thing so they're reporting basically nothing, within a certain safe range, leaning more towards things that get fans riled up, which is smart. 

@Skinsinparadise I appreciate you listening to all this stuff and compiling breakdowns for us all the time, it must be kind of a chore given how little these guys are really in the loop. You are a human wiki for local beat reports. 

As far as I can tell, If it's Meyer, his coaching tree only includes one coach with NFL experience: Teryl Austin. He was Meyer's DC at Florida. He coached the Raven's secondary into the Super Bowl. Then he had a few pretty good years as DC in Detroit, followed by an awful year as DC in Cincinnati. Now he's a secondary coach in Pittsburgh.

7 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

As far as I can tell, If it's Meyer, his coaching tree only includes one coach with NFL experience: Teryl Austin. He was Meyer's DC at Florida. He coached the Raven's secondary into the Super Bowl. Then he had a few pretty good years as DC in Detroit, followed by an awful year as DC in Cincinnati. Now he's a secondary coach in Pittsburgh.

So sounds like he's capable of coaching up to the talent he has rather than below it, which is what we need. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some think its about Dan just wants a toady.  And I bet that's part of the soup.  But you can find another toady and dump Bruce so i think it runs much deeper than that.   I think we got an owner with the emotional maturity of a teenager and I think he genuinely has a mega man crush on the dude.  Dan is rich but that doesn't buy friends.  Bruce I gather is who he wants to be like as a personality.  Bruce is the outgoing and more socially comfortable version of Dan.    Bruce would be the president of his fraternity type.  I just think Dan has so much money, its not the be all and end all for him.  His friendship with Bruce IMO is likely huge.  

Maybe we should hint Dan to:

https://rentafriend.com/

34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

These reporters don't know a damn thing so they're reporting basically nothing, within a certain safe range, leaning more towards things that get fans riled up, which is smart. 

@Skinsinparadise I appreciate you listening to all this stuff and compiling breakdowns for us all the time, it must be kind of a chore given how little these guys are really in the loop. You are a human wiki for local beat reports. 

Thanks.  I agree they are all making guesses based on bit and pieces they hear nothing is gospel.  But I admit i am entertained by that stuff.  Some here seem to be as well so I throw it on here for those interested. 

However, things have changed. A competing scent, a familiar one, has become the dominant musk around Redskins Park. The aroma is that of Bruce Allen, the longtime team president of the Redskins. The man who has been the target of the majority of the criticism from Washington football fans may have weathered a momentary storm that may have only briefly threatened his job status. 

USA Today columnist Mike Jones reported Friday that while owner Daniel Snyder understated the franchise may be headed for an overhaul and could dismiss Allen, the owner is still considering scenarios in which his top confidant retains his position. Jones, citing multiple people with knowledge of the situation, writes Allen could also pass off some of his football duties to other people within the organization and possibly outside hires. A re-assignment and realignment of his duties has been floated as a possibility. 

Jones also echoed what SI's Albert Breer told Grant & Danny that Allen's continued presence within the front office could be a possible dealbreaker for some candidates for the Redskins' vacant head coaching job, which has been labeled the worst in the NFL.

"And my understanding is they've gotten some pushback on the current structure of the organization from some of those candidates," Breer told 106.7 The Fan. "But certainly, my understanding is the Redskins have gotten some feedback from some guys who are going to be in a mix for multiple jobs where it's, 'If there's gonna be the structure (at Redskins Park) that it has been for the last 10 years going forward, then I'm not interested.'"

DeAngelo Hall, who has made it known he would be interested in joining the Redskins' front office, told The Athletic‘s Erin Hawksworth earlier this month he did not think Allen was on his way out.

“I left that meeting not feeling like Bruce was in jeopardy to lose his job,” Hall said.

“Do I think this team needs to do a lot of things to right the ship? Absolutely,” Hall added. “Has Bruce done the best job? Maybe not. But I have all the confidence in the world that the people in that building can get it fixed.”

Of course, Jones reported Friday that, according to one "person familiar with Washington’s inner workings," Allen has "a good chance to keep his job."

1. So a guy who's apparently credible says Meyer has been chosen.

2. People say, what about the Rooney Rule?

3. Many leaks follow saying that report isn't true and then mentioning three guys (Marvin Lewis, Raheem Morris and Ron Rivera) who satisfy the Rooney Rule. They're even throwing rumors out there about Bruce sticking around.

I have no idea what will happen, but I'm not buying for one second that Bruce Allen stays. He's an albatross tied around the franchise's neck. The place is in ruins, and he's the only one other than our dear owner who can be the scapegoat. This would be the equivalent of a general throwing his last company into a lost battle. 

Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure that if things go well over the next few years, it will be because Dan got lucky, not because he's good. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Exactly. How does a manager of ANYTHING keep his job after the clown show this past decade has been? And it is not just the record (which is horrid) but it is the other trash. Trent last year, Cousins situation, Scotty the drunk, the one year Lafamina disaster and his stupid press conferences. "Winning off the field", "We are close". The list of embarrassment is ridiculous at this point. I cant see how Bruce survives this abomination of a season. 

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. How does a manager of ANYTHING keep his job after the clown show this past decade has been? And it is not just the record (which is horrid) but it is the other trash. Trent last year, Cousins situation, Scotty the drunk, the one year Lafamina disaster and his stupid press conferences. "Winning off the field", "We are close". The list of embarrassment is ridiculous at this point. I cant see how Bruce survives this abomination of a season. 

Don't forget the leaked pictures of drunk Jay Gruden with some chick. Really classy, this org.

My guess is that Snyder waits for the outcome of the Dallas game this weekend. If we win and knock Dallas out of the playoffs, he’s likely delusional enough to believe casual fans will be happy enough about that (plus a shiny new HC hire) to ease up on the Bruce hate a bit going into the offseason. 

I can only see Bruce getting fired if we lose. Even then, don’t have a great feeling about it. Hope I’m wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Skins Skeptic said:

I have no idea what will happen, but I'm not buying for one second that Bruce Allen stays.

Hope you are right. The fact this is not gone already and there is even a hint of “he may stay” is just awful.

The fact that there's even still discussion about this and "hand-wringing" or whatever is going on is all you need to know, sadly. There's no meaningful change coming. And no, I don't consider hiring an entirely new coaching staff "meaningful" if the "structure" remains as it is with Allen as the gatekeeper to this wormhole. Trent said it all when he laid it out in a way that any imbecile could easily understand: how does someone/anyone with this record keep his job? Unfortunately, Snyder isn't just "any imbecile." He's a special breed. 

28 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

My guess is that Snyder waits for the outcome of the Dallas game this weekend. If we win and knock Dallas out of the playoffs, he’s likely delusional enough to believe casual fans will be happy enough about that (plus a shiny new HC hire) to ease up on the Bruce hate a bit going into the offseason. 

I can only see Bruce getting fired if we lose. Even then, don’t have a great feeling about it. Hope I’m wrong. 

I actually don't agree with this at all. I think he's known since he fired Gruden that major changes were coming and there would be a new, big-splash head coach here in January/February. 

Danny having such a hard time letting go of Bruce pretty much means we’re doomed forever.

I actually like Marvin Lewis - class guy - but he’s only at the top of your list if you know you can’t get more exciting names because you are not going to fire your blankie Bruce.

Archived