Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  And it's not that Lafemina thought it was a stadium or bust as to Redskins fandom.  It was that he realized it was extremely important to the stadium experience itself which was one of his big tasks there because they can upgrade the stadium experience at Fedex but there is so much you can do with that venue because you are limited by the stadium itself and location.  

I never disliked FedEx that much. I actually enjoyed the half mile walk to the stadium from the metro. Then again, I am able-bodied and know that is a nonstarter for many. I did find the traffic on the few times I drove to be unbearable, but I don't remember ever leaving a concert or high occupancy event that I enjoyed.

Fed Ex field has its shortcomings, but the biggest one is that the comradery and mood of the stadium soured in combo of the team just not doing well enough.

I know we mock Dan-Bruce about things some but its amazing how the narratives dovetail off of the same comical but in a sad way stuff.

Chris Russell this morning.  One of his sources who constantly tells him (Keim has said something similar) that Dan is hard dude to predict because he's so emotional and easily impressionable so he could never guess for certain with him because his mind can change on a whim when he gets into a mood which he apparently is in now...says that his vibe now is Bruce stays even though a week back he thought he would be out but that's always subject to change again.

Russell said Dan is aware of the business consequences of keeping the status quo but is weighing that versus Bruce being a great security blanket to him and a really good friend.  Russell has said multiple times that it bothers Dan that he lost his friendship with Cerrato when he was canned and doesn't want to go through that again with Bruce.  He knows D. Hall is tight with Bruce so he speculated that Doug gets promoted again, Bruce stays and D. Hall is added to the FO. 

He also said he thinks they are trying to get a big name college coach and are hoping big money lures them and they aren't just focused on one.  So Russell is coming at it the reverse way source wise from Keim who keeps saying they don't want a college guy but a past pro coach.   Russell's thought is they will have an easier time talking a college coach into taking it than a previous pro head coach.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know we mock Dan-Bruce about things some but its amazing how the narratives dovetail off of the same comical but in a sad way stuff.

Chris Russell this morning.  One of his sources who constantly tells him (Keim has said something similar) that Dan is hard dude to predict because he's so emotional and easily impressionable so he could never guess for certain with him because his mind can change on a whim when he gets into a mood which he apparently is in now...says that his vibe now is Bruce stays even though a week back he thought he would be out but that's always subject to change again.

Russell said Dan is aware of the business consequences of keeping the status quo but is weighing that versus Bruce being a great security blanket to him and a really good friend.  Russell has said multiple times that it bothers Dan that he lost his friendship with Cerrato when he was canned and doesn't want to go through that again with Bruce.  He knows D. Hall is tight with Bruce so he speculated that Doug gets promoted again, Bruce stays and D. Hall is added to the FO. 

He also said he thinks they are trying to get a big name college coach and are hoping big money lures them and they aren't just focused on one.  So Russell is coming at it the reverse way source wise from Keim who keeps saying they don't want a college guy but a past pro coach. 

Dan needs to keep his emotions out of this.  That's where things go South.  He has a VP of FB ops that has a losing record and has  done nothing to help him secure a new stadium site and Dan has totally lost his fan base.  If that isn't enough to have Bruce replace nothing ever will.  

The fact that Bruce is still here, this long after Gruden was dismissed, tells me Dan will keep him. Our only hope is that Bruce gets kicked way, way upstairs and is moved out of team personnel and on-field operations. He also needs to disappear as a face and voice of the organization because he in insulting to fans and opposing GM's as well. All football decisions moving forward need to be made by the new coach who gets to endorse who the GM is. If Dan is buddies with Bruce so be it, but hopefully all of these coaching interviews makes Dan realize Bruce needs go away from the football side of things. 

Bruce Allen might have been the guy for the stadium gig if this was 15 years ago and the goal was to site it in Fairfax or Loudoun Counties. The Allen family connection would have counted.

It's just comically inept to have him be in charge of it now. "Hey, let's have the salary cap guy get us a new stadium." Honestly...

JKC couldn't get access to the RFK site either, and he struggled to find an alternative site. And this was back when the Skins were still a beloved regional institution.

NIMBYism is a bloodsport in greater DC, and the political backscratching needed to site even a grocery store is epic, let alone something like a stadium. You don't put the salary cap guy on it!

Dan is going to have to put some political muscle in charge of this if he wants to get a site approved anywhere in the area, let alone get the taxpayers to foot part of the bill. He doesn't have that much time left to do it.

I predict they stay at FedEx for the foreseeable future, probably under a less favorable ground lease.

@Skinsinparadise I understand Russell has gotten some stuff right with the FO recently, but I trust absolutely o reports about Bruce’s situation or future FO because only one person really knows the situation and that person hasn’t said boo to anybody.  

Everybody else is reading tea leaves.  

Somebody is going to be right, but it could just be because of a good guess rather than any actual information.  

33 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Dan needs to keep his emotions out of this.  That's where things go South.  He has a VP of FB ops that has a losing record and has  done nothing to help him secure a new stadium site and Dan has totally lost his fan base.  If that isn't enough to have Bruce replace nothing ever will.  

Who knows because its all speculation but piecing together the narrative it would be more or less:

Dan wants to believe Bruce's version of we are close for 2 reasons:

1.  It makes him believe that they roll in the right way

2 He can keep his best buddy close by.

That thought competes with:

1. declining attendance, TV ratings, bleeding fans

2. Getting a big splash hire

Russell is guessing Dan ultimately makes the move and gets rid of him but with lots of cognitive dissonance but admits its just a guess based on people at Redskins Park because Dan isn't talking. 

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I understand Russell has gotten some stuff right with the FO recently, but I trust absolutely o reports about Bruce’s situation or future FO because only one person really knows the situation and that person hasn’t said boo to anybody.  

Everybody else is reading tea leaves.  

Somebody is going to be right, but it could just be because of a good guess rather than any actual information.  

Unlike those other reports where he was saying things flat out -- the Scot story, coaches who will be interviewed, Doug, etc - Russell (as have every beat guy) says on Dan stuff you don't know because he doesn't talk, his circle is small, and he can change his mind on a dime.  So Russell isn't reporting a story like he was when he broke the Scot story, etc.

Russell more or less flat out said one his sources in that FO told him the sense he gets is that Bruce is out.  But a few days ago that same person said he thinks Bruce survives this.  But that same person said that's just a guess because Dan doesn't talk and his opinion one day could be totally different another day.

The one thing though that Russell said which gives me some optimism is that they are supposedly shooting for the fences on the coaching front.  I think if they have a shot to lure a big name, Bruce isn't part of that package. 

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows because its all speculation but piecing together the narrative it would be more or less:

Dan wants to believe Bruce's version of we are close for 2 reasons:

1.  It makes him believe that they roll in the right way

2 He can keep his best buddy close by.

That thought competes with:

1. declining attendance, TV ratings, bleeding fans

2. Getting a big splash hire

Russell is guessing Dan ultimately makes the move and gets rid of him but with lots of cognitive dissonance but admits its just a guess based on people at Redskins Park because Dan isn't talking. 

Do you think Dan cans Bruce if the Skins lose their next 2 games.  I wonder what Russell, Finley, Keim and the rest of the Skin's beat reports think?

1 hour ago, profusion said:

I predict they stay at FedEx for the foreseeable future, probably under a less favorable ground lease.

If the RFK site is seen as the preferred option...…..the old stadium isn't supposed to be knocked down until 2021.  Which means that a new stadium there wouldn't be ready until the 2025 season at the earliest. And considering the FedEx lease doesn't expire until 2027...….we very well might be there until then. 

As far as the team goes....the play over the past few weeks, combined with the relatively weak state of the division, does give me reason for optimism going forward. But I remember a decade ago how much we thought the future was bright with Bruce taking over as the GM and looking forward to Shanny coming in. Right now, I'm so apathetic that I really have no excitement regarding who they bring in as coach next.  Just find it hard to care from that standpoint. 

Right. If he's leaving it won't be a firing, that much is clear now. It would be a retirement, which can't happen until after next week.

That's the remaining path. So none of this Bruce sightings stuff really matters in the end, if he's going anywhere at all. 

I'll say that if Bruce stays I really want no changes. Maybe a new DC but even that's a wash in my opinion. People can talk about the we're close narratives and the culture and stuff about particular players (Chase Young) but its all window dressing. I already have my doubts about us ever being able to build anything consistent under Dan but with Dan and Bruce its just a peak of mediocrity. 

Archived