Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

"I bought this team for the diehards, those fans obviously aren't the diehards."

I think this type of delusion is pretty easy to maintain for a guy like Snyder honestly. It's the cold hard numbers and constant media pressure that can have an effect over time.

I agree but there is so much piling on to the pile.  It's the perfect storm if we are dealing with an owner who is normal but we aren't here.  Ravens might end up the SB winner.  Nationals just won the WS. Attendance and TV ratings at an all time low.  Supposedly, he's getting feedback that top coaches aren't interested in the job, don't like his FO structure, don't care for his boy, Bruce.  I am just wondering how low does it have to get before the dude gets it?

7 hours ago, Dirt said:

So, really, how important is the timing of a firing of a Bruce Allen when it comes to the next head coach?  Folks are saying coaching searches are happening the week of Christmas, but I've always thought this was an off-season thing.  Which is why I think Bruce is gone, fired, resigned, whatever ... In the offseason.  Probably the very beginning of it.  At best, doing it now is just saying you're serious about making a change , but will it really make a difference to potential head coaches?  If it's happening , there's already conversations happening about it, so firing him now only serves to appease angry fans.  I'd love it as much as anyone, but I'm not sure it would give us a head start or a great coach.

Hoping b Allen is fired like vinnie..last 3/4 games of the season

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't love the idea of D. Hall but heck I'd still take him over Bruce in that role. 

I've hinted about this days ago.

Maybe I should work as an NFL analyst?

Now, D Hall wanting the GM job, McCarthy wanting to coach again....

That would be so Dan Snyder...

And somehow, I would hate it.

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Every time my phone gives me an ESPN alert I am hopeful, only to have ESPN think I care about the Wizards and Maryland Basketball.  For the record, I care about neither.  And I've tried everything I can to get them to stop sending me alerts on the Wizards, but their algorithm apparently has determined that even though I actively have said I don't like the NBA, I must be wrong and like all DC sports because I follow the Redskins, Caps and Nats.   Clearly their AI knows more about what I like than I do. 

Like getting punched in the nuts over and over.  

Mine keeps sending me results regarding tenniswomen...

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Somehow? That would be easy to hate. 

Not sure.

At least for many around, the be all end all will be the firing of Bruce Allen (or retiring, quiting, whatever, doesn't matter). As helpful as it will be, the next move from Dan will be as important if not more.

I was OK firing Scott. That happens, but their next move was crap, naming Doug to whatever was just a placeholder to look like they did replaced Scott. Getting rid of Bruce is step 1. But step 2 is even more important.

We're all wondering about our bet hire possible after step 1, but I'm wondering about the worst hire as well. Hearing about D. Hall doesn't pleases me much. McCarthy either.

And I'm already hating the fact that they're doing this backwards, looking for a new HC with Bruce still around. Just like during the end of Zorn, we hired Shanahan prior to Bruce...

25 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I've hinted about this days ago.

Maybe I should work as an NFL analyst?

Now, D Hall wanting the GM job, McCarthy wanting to coach again....

That would be so Dan Snyder...

And somehow, I would hate it.

DHall I would despise.

McCarthy? Eh. I read a report that he hired a coaching staff while unemployed to scout trends, etc.

I like that. A lot.

23 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Um, because he's a radio guy who watches tape as a hobby and has given me no particular reason why I should believe he can be trusted with an entire organization. The guy had years and millions more on the table as a player if he'd taken care of his body in a professional manner, and he admits that. Now he's leadership and executive material? What about him, other than he's personable and knowledgeable enough on the radio and fans like him, makes him qualified for a monster job like this? It's a silly notion. I'd hate to see the chummy relationship he'd develop with Snyder as he became entrenched in the only GM job he'd ever accidentally back into.

Here's another way of looking at it: if none of the other 31 NFL franchises would consider your local fan favorite radio guy for a GM job, then maybe that's a sign that his former playing career and relationship with local fans is weighing WAY too heavily in your thought process. 

My thought process? I clearly said that I was not beating the drum for the guy. But you compared him to 2 other guys who have absolutely no history of grading players. And 31 other teams had no interest in Lynch as a GM either.

No to Dhall, Alex Smith, Cooley or any other unqualified ex-player!!   Can't believe some of you are alright with this. I am Ok with an ex-player if they have shown they understand the job. These 3 have done nothing to indicate they have even the slightest clue. 

Hall never said that he wanted to be GM.

"Hall made clear he's not trying to replace Allen and that he could work with the current team president should he stay in position. Hall also doesn't expect to be named general manager; he just wants a role that can help the organization."

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

No to Dhall, Alex Smith, Cooley or any other unqualified ex-player!!   Can't believe some of you are alright with this. I am Ok with an ex-player if they have shown they understand the job. These 3 have done nothing to indicate they have even the slightest clue. 

Could not agree more. We need a front office executive from a successful organization, not another experiment. 

I wonder if Snyder even has a clue who the next Chris Ballard might be. 

From a historical Skins’ fan perspective, Snyder needs to find the next Bobby Beathard, and let him try and hire the next Joe Gibbs. 

Going with a superstar coach as the big dog works for me too, as long as he brings a strong front office executive with him. Even Gibbs 2 didn’t do this and relied on Cerrato (his biggest mistake IMO). 

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My thought process? I clearly said that I was not beating the drum for the guy. But you compared him to 2 other guys who have absolutely no history of grading players. And 31 other teams had no interest in Lynch as a GM either.

That was meant as more of a general "your", apologies.

But you asked me to explain why I thought he'd be a failure and I did. I'm not super interested in discussing how unqualified candidates are in degrees, if they're unqualified, that's it for me. 

I think having an ex-player, especially one that played under Dan as the owner would be no different then what we have had.  The yes man mentality will kill us...we need a strong GM that has complete control of the football side of the house!

9 hours ago, skinny21 said:

No, we don’t mind at all.

But if you get a message saying “This Community Is Not Available”... we changed our mind. 

Uh oh I've been getting that message. I thought I was kicked off the site LOL.

33 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

You guys know it's cool to like a player and not want him to be our GM, right?  Not aimed at anyone in particular.

You guys should hire McCarthy our former HC as your new coach.

12 minutes ago, sknz45 said:

I think having an ex-player, especially one that played under Dan as the owner would be no different then what we have had.  The yes man mentality will kill us...we need a strong GM that has complete control of the football side of the house!

Additionally, I'm leery of anyone that has previously worked under Snyder such as Louis Riddick (though I like him), I'm not sure he's a yes man but I'm also not sure he wouldn't be.  Dan's history tells me he doesn't or didn't hire many people and allow them to think for themselves or control anything.  True change starts with Dan...if he didn't have a come to Jesus moment about his style dictating the direction of the franchise, we are doomed!

1 minute ago, sknz45 said:

Additionally, I'm leery of anyone that has previously worked under Snyder such as Louis Riddick (though I like him), I'm not sure he's a yes man but I'm also not sure he wouldn't be.  Dan's history tells me he doesn't or didn't hire many people and allow them to think for themselves or control anything.  True change starts with Dan...if he didn't have a come to Jesus moment about his style dictating the direction of the franchise, we are doomed!

Agreed.  This is a huge decision for him. 

Archived