Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

I think lots of changes will come next year, minus Bruce of course. This will be Gruden's last year. There is no reason to do anything drastic this year. Just let it ride out with what you got and then start the 2020 with new coaching staff and hopefully a franchise type of QB selected in the draft. 

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I think lots of changes will come next year, minus Bruce of course. This will be Gruden's last year. There is no reason to do anything drastic this year. Just let it ride out with what you got and then start the 2020 with new coaching staff and hopefully a franchise type of QB selected in the draft. 

DAn can change whatever he wants. If he doesn't change Bruce, then it's pointless.

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

DAn can change whatever he wants. If he doesn't change Bruce, then it's pointless.

The current situation and decisions made are totally and absolutely insane. Allen is incompetent, contemptuous, not respected by scouts, mocked by the other GMs, yet he's been granted more power. I believe he is blackmailing Danny boy, he's got something.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes--he's letting Snyder hang out with the cool kids and jocks.

It's part of my hope that they are walking into a Tank for Tua campaign.  If Dan wants to hang with stars.  Tua is already one.  It will really go to town on the Alabama connection and isn't that cool?  And with Tua's big family and network of friends in Hawaii -- Dan might be salivating already about doing Hawaiian vacations with Tua and the clan.    I can see Dan daydreaming about the Luaus and all the fun right now.   Whale watching, some snorkeling enjoying some mixed drinks with pineapple juice -- the whole ball of wax.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's part of my hope that they are walking into a Tank for Tua campaign.  If Dan wants to hang with stars.  Tua is already one.  It will really go to town on the Alabama connection and isn't that cool?  And with Tua's big family and network of friends in Hawaii -- Dan might be salivating already about doing Hawaiian vacations with Tua and the clan.    I can see Dan daydreaming about the Luaus and all the fun right now.   Whale watching, some snorkeling enjoying some mixed drinks with pineapple juice -- the whole ball of wax.

Sounds like a Brady/Kraft relationship. I’m with it. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd rather be Shamed for Sunshine at this point. :ols:

10 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

For us fan it seems so simple to get rid of Bruce. But for Dan, Bruce is doing "stuff" for him and Dan is thinking Bruce has all these connections and a new GM/President is not going to just come in and pickup what Bruce has been doing or will be. Is Doug really a true GM? No. So what needs to really happen is that Bruce All Mighty needs to get a TRUE GM and not step into his decision makings just like he wouldn't want the GM to tell him how to do his job either. Bruce will need to put his ego aside if he really and truly wants this franchise to succeed under him. 

It would be a miracle if next year Dan just loses it, depending on how 2019 goes down, and just gets rid of Bruce and hires a competent GM who then hires the coaches he think can make this franchise relevant again. 

Bruce has no shame.

He comes here, sullies the Allen name, knows full well that he's in over his head but doesn't care. For any other human being, inheriting a father's legacy and completely botching it would cause for many sleepless nights but ole Bruce naps like a baby amidst one losing season after another. He's a really special guy. I'm sure he knows he'll never accomplish a stadium deal in an ideal location and will leave the organization with his head held high after he's cut the ceremonial ribbon to open our new home in Allegany County.

15 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

He comes here, sullies the Allen name, knows full well that he's in over his head but doesn't care. For any other human being, inheriting a father's legacy and completely botching it would cause for many sleepless nights but ole Bruce naps like a baby amidst one losing season after another. 

This is something I’ve never been able to wrap my head around.  I get not wanting to go out with your name being mud, but one would think he’s smart enough to know the only way to do that is to step aside gracefully.  Put the organization in the hands of someone equipped to take it to the next level and focus all his efforts on the stadium deal.  The fact that he hasn’t done that lends well to the narrative that he has a huge ego and probably the biggest detriment to him as an executive.  Well that and desperately wanting to be what he’s never been, a football guy.  Just own it and accept that dealing with personnel and building football teams isn’t what the stars aligned.  Have some humility, step to the side, and maybe he could redeem himself in some capacity.

Also for Dan Snyder, at some point, your life has to be about more than being a billionaire.  We are nearly 20 years into his ownership and he’s still empowering and enabling a guy like Allen who has orchestrated the plan that has led to rock bottom in fan apathy, anger and attendance.  So not only is he not making money at the clip he’s accustomed, he is one of the most hated men in the area, and that’s tough to do.  One would think that after all this time, he’d start getting concerned about his legacy.  I don’t care how much money you have, it’s got to be miserable knowing that the fans of the team you supposedly love hate your guts, when you’ve had every opportunity and reason to change it.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is something I’ve never been able to wrap my head around.  I get not wanting to go out with your name being mud, but one would think he’s smart enough to know the only way to do that is to step aside gracefully.

Guessing on this by piecing together narratives -- this one mainly from Finlay.  Bruce while aware that fans dislike him feel that this team will make the playoffs-likely win the division and he gets a stadium.  And then he rides off into the sunset.  So the fact that this season went south might have been bad luck because Bruce might not want to leave on a low.

Hey we even got this narrative from a pro Bruce person during the season saying they'd love to see what we'd all say about Bruce if this team marches into the playoffs.  

So I think its kind of like that -- Bruce thinking he will have the last laugh and will go out on top and the haters will have to reluctantly give him a nod at the end where Bruce takes an I told you do victory lap. 

When some who cover the team say that Bruce walks around like his crap doesn't stink, I'd guess its genuine.  I'd think Bruce truly does think he's smarter than others and has been just foiled by bad luck. 

The hard thing for me to figure out is how does all this unfold this off season considering I can argue either scenario with equal force.

A.  Just keep on keeping on, the same low cost FAs, low key off season.  Jay is a Colt McCoy guy, ditto from what I hear Bruce so they think all the hysteria about QB is misplaced.   They prove they win with the method of madness that Bruce is already famous for believing in.

B.  Dan's complaining about lack of buzz with fans, struggling to sell season tickets, etc asks Bruce to do something about it.  Bruce trades up for a QB and distracts the fire bruce allen crowd with a new toy and maybe it even buys them time to develop that new toy

C. Even if they did dig Colt in a big way they might have concerns about his injury history so want a veteran to start ahead of Colt to take this team to the playoffs.  Sort of a modified version of what they did with the Alex deal -- though they'd need the veteran to be relatively cheap. 

If Dan is joined by not just Bruce but Jay according to one insider in some drinking buddy excursions.  Then, as much as i feel bad for Jay to have to work in a crazy environment like that and think he's a good dude unlike Bruce/Dan -- I'd presume Jay might help solidify Bruce's status in this way:  Jay seems to believe or at least he's stating in a pretty hard core fashion (have heard him do it twice publicly) about how good this team is and even suggesting its as good as any other. 

So if Dan is questioning Bruce -- Jay likely is doubling down on Bruce's narrative and helping sell it not for Bruce but for himself.  And, I don't blame Jay to do so -- what else is he supposed to do?  He'd need to sell on his year 6 that the team is going to go gang busters next season otherwise what's the point.  Jay can't go to Dan saying hey be patient this might take another 2-3 years.  He's has no choice but to say Bruce is right we got a killer roster and are going for the kill next season. Dan you saw the 6-3, the best is yet to come.  We got this!

So while I don't link Jay-Dan-Bruce together as ducks of a feather.  Jay's the normal one -- the good guy in that mix.  I do think Jay-Bruce ended up a package deal this time and will be a package deal this season because they are both likely selling the same narrative.  Dan is either going to believe both or won't -- that's my guess. 

Archived