Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

LOL Jon is doing just fine without Bruce. All high on his horse after beating Pitt yesterday.... arrogance is setting in. Don't let it!!   Dude, you need Bruce!  At least them winning may help our draft position heh.  I am calling it now, with Bruce here next spring, he will pass on a no brainer QB in round 1 that falls into our laps, and take a Bama D.

In other random NFL news, Breeland scored yesterday

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D. Hall on the postgame seemed to allude that they could have done better than signing Sanchez and that signing might have been psychologically demoralizing to some players because they'd have no faith in the dude

Thats may be a very strong point.

Many of the team may have been disgusted that we overlooked Kap when we were literally scouring the scrap heap for QBs. Now we have a guy who hadn't slung a pass for something like 7 years. Sure looked like they took a knee on the field. 

anyone up for buy a domain name and setting up a splash page website in honor of Bruce?

something like,

IsBruceFiredYet.com

BruceYoureFired.com 

AllInForBrucesEnd.com

NoExcuseFireBruce.com

whats your best domain name idea?

maybe we can get some media traction with it.

I was just listening to Brewer, depressing listen.  He implied part of what drive him to wrote the column about Bruce was his sources are telling him right now Dan isn't looking to get rid of Bruce.  

He said in all his years covering sports, he's never seen an owner so isolated and makes so many decisions on his own and is relatively unaware of public sentiment (I presume unless it hits him in his face) and Bruce is good at working Dan behind the scenes and there isn't much competition  for counter view points because Dan doesn't talk to too many people.  And he and Bruce rally around the excuse that the media unfairly characterizes what they do so that's part of their defiance about it all.

All of that makes me think of this below.  And also Chris Russell's comments that the best way to perhaps get chance is hope to get to the minority owners who aren't as isolated and supposedly some of whom don't like Bruce.

https://thefandc.radio.com/washington-redskins-cant-come-back-same-leadership-group

"Dan Snyder has plenty of tough decision to make this offseason, but one problem which Keim points out is Snyder's "inner circle" includes the likes of Allen and Gruden, whose jobs need to be evaluated.

"Inside the organization, ... it's Bruce, and it's Bruce and Jay," he said. "I don't know that there's anybody else there."

hopefully this is true -- not the saving job part of it for Bruce but that the Redskins see it

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

LOL Jon is doing just fine without Bruce. All high on his horse after beating Pitt yesterday.... arrogance is setting in. Don't let it!!   Dude, you need Bruce!  At least them winning may help our draft position heh.  I am calling it now, with Bruce here next spring, he will pass on a no brainer QB in round 1 that falls into our laps, and take a Bama D.

In other random NFL news, Breeland scored yesterday

I don't know how much Bree would have helped this year though I'm sure he would have been really useful when Dunbar went down. What annoys me though is that we kind of got a mulligan when Bree's contract was nullified and Breeland sat there unwanted for weeks if not months. Given how thin our DB corp were and how thin we knew it was you would have thought we'd have taken the mulligan. Pretty sure by September Bree would have accepted the one year plus incentives flier. 

Maybe it would have been a mistake to bring him back. Dunbar did look great after all and Moreau was fine as our nickel, but when both Stroman and Johnson had to be heavily relied on... we sure missed a vet presence who knew the system.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said in all his years covering sports, he's never seen an owner so isolated and makes so many decisions on his own and is relatively unaware of public sentiment (I presume unless it hits him in his face) and Bruce is good at working Dan behind the scenes and there isn't much competition  for counter view points because Dan doesn't talk to too many people.  And he and Bruce rally around the excuse that the media unfairly characterizes what they do so that's part of their defiance about it all.

I can kind of get the bunkered, it's us against the world mentality, but after so many mediocre (at best) and losing (most often) years, you'd think even the guys in the deepest of trenches would see the need for a change of tactics.

It has to be clear to all that it hasn't worked well enough. I will say I was mostly pleased with our last two drafts, but I don't know if even that is good enough. As a whole and looking at our results... this is not what year five or year nine ought to look like.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reminds me a lot of a certain character from a certain movie....

grima.png.9c684b747f023962fc03fc07e04f51eb.png

We are basically doomed.

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

2) Trade for Alex Smith. I was actually OK with this decision when it happened. But i was unaware of a 71 MILLION DOLLAR FULL INJURY GUARANTEE in that contract. Just a horrifyingly stupid decision for a guy that has a minor injury history and was 33 years old. Not only that but we lost a good CB and a 3rd rounder in the deal.

People are putting too much weight on the Alex Smith injury, which is effectively letting Bruce off the hook, since it was a completely unpredictable/unpreventable injury.

The problem with Alex Smith is that we gave $71M guaranteed, plus a pick and a rookie, for a never-was QB, someone who should be a backup at this point in his career.  Andy Reid ripped Bruce Allen off yet again.

3) Trade for Clinton-Dix.  Wasted 4th rounder for a guy that has no idea what a tackling angle is.

Apparently the comp pick for him will be a third rounder.  I'm OK with this.  A good GM can take risks that don't work out.  But you can't **** up at starting QB four times in a row.

4) Claim Rueben Foster. He may end up being a baller for us. But was the PR hit worth that possibility.

5) Throw a Skins legend out to take the heat for the Foster decision. Instead of talking to press himself. Allen decides to send out Williams to get trounced by the media. DISGUSTING.

A competent team could have handled the PR issue.  For a guy who is supposed to be a politician, Bruce sure doesn't know how to talk to the media.

1 hour ago, slinky said:

anyone up for buy a domain name and setting up a splash page website in honor of Bruce?

something like,

IsBruceFiredYet.com

BruceYoureFired.com 

AllInForBrucesEnd.com

NoExcuseFireBruce.com

whats your best domain name idea?

maybe we can get some media traction with it.

snydersell.com

I was just listening to Brewer, depressing listen.  He implied part of what drive him to wrote the column about Bruce was his sources are telling him right now Dan isn't looking to get rid of Bruce.  

Honestly, I find this hard to believe. 

How does Snyder not see the attendance at games? What gets said by the local media? The results on the field? Declining revenues? 

Honestly?

37 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I can kind of get the bunkered, it's us against the world mentality, but after so many mediocre (at best) and losing (most often) years, you'd think even the guys in the deepest of trenches would see the need for a change of tactics.

It has to be clear to all that it hasn't worked well enough. I will say I was mostly pleased with our last two drafts, but I don't know if even that is good enough. As a whole and looking at our results... this is not what year five or year nine ought to look like.

The problem for them to blame the media for everything is it gives you an exit for everything, too.  These fans don't like us because the WP is unfairly influencing them or talk show hosts on the radio are egging them, etc.  Heck even if that were all true -- what's the difference how the fans arrived at their distaste -- its there and either you deal with it or you don't.  And as Brewer said today if you choose not to deal with it then you made your bed on that front. 

To me the peak of Bruce's tone deafness had to be the press release in the summer of 2017 because regardless of how people feel about said player -- to me the level of arrogance and the lack of respect for fan's intelligence was on display IMO.  For starters, the act in itself implied fans couldn't in an apples to apples way compare that contract with other contracts and we'd instead just accept Bruce's numbers where we'd have no context to judge.  And also the idea of pick the FO over the QB sentiment -- I think gave a window into his mindset because that wasn't the only rodeo of that tactic.

It was the same sentiment on bad mouthing Scot to the WP -- take our side against him.  The RG3-Shanny spat -- pick a side.  Before Bruce was here when they wanted to turn the fans against Gregg (popular choice with many fans at the time) when they decided not to hire him -- they leaked stories about how Gregg allegedly bad mouthed Gibbs in his interviews.

It's a petty culture where you got to at times pick sides.  Heck we do it here on the board -- its this side versus that.  And it gets heated.  And I've been as guilty as engaging as anyone but yeah digesting it all over the years -- I do think some of the divides among the fans are a product of what we get from above, its part of the culture sadly.   

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I don't know how you can say with a straight face the Smith injury wasn't a crushing blow to our season only worsened by losing our backup. What team would survive being on their 3rd QB? Not many, if at all.

Its not a crushing blow because we were a bad team to start the year. 

Its only a crushing blow if you got duped by the 6-2 start into thinking this team was any good at all. It wasn’t. It never was. This season was going to be a failure whether smith stayed at QB or not. 

Teams dont fall apart like this just because they lose their QB. Bad teams fall apart like this. This was a bad team with a good record. Now it’s just a bad team

14 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Honestly, I find this hard to believe. 

How does Snyder not see the attendance at games? What gets said by the local media? The results on the field? Declining revenues? 

Honestly?

I am with you as for this logic.    Got no idea though.   Will see. 

15 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Apparently the comp pick for him will be a third rounder.  I'm OK with this.  A good GM can take risks that don't work out.  But you can't **** up at starting QB four times in a row.

A competent team could have handled the PR issue.  For a guy who is supposed to be a politician, Bruce sure doesn't know how to talk to the media.

Comp pick isn't determined until the player gets a new contract.  Safeties lately aren't paid that much.  Wouldn't shock me if the comp piece ends up a 6th rounder.  3rd round comp picks are the highest up the ladder contract wise -- be stunned if they got a 3rd, be stunned if they got a 4th actually.  Maybe a 5th I'd guess or a 6th.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Comp pick isn't determined until the player gets a new contract.  Safeties lately aren't paid that much.  Wouldn't shock me if the comp piece ends up a 6th rounder.  3rd round comp picks are the highest up the ladder contract wise -- be stunned if they got a 3rd, be stunned if they got a 4th actually.  Maybe a 5th I'd guess or a 6th.

Awesome. 

Yet another score by the front office!

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Its not a crushing blow because we were a bad team to start the year. 

Its only a crushing blow if you got duped by the 6-2 start into thinking this team was any good at all. It wasn’t. It never was. This season was going to be a failure whether smith stayed at QB or not. 

Teams dont fall apart like this just because they lose their QB. Bad teams fall apart like this. This was a bad team with a good record. Now it’s just a bad team

We were a mediocre team who lucked into 6-3.

It's OK to complain about losing your QB when you have a great QB.  Not when you start the season with a backup quality QB.

I am with you as for this logic.    Got no idea though.   Will see. 

Exactly. The salary is the determining factor in the comp pick. And there is no one breaking the bank for HaHa after what he put on film this year so far.

Archived