Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

Just now, Burgold said:

Okay, maybe it's just a different cultural reality. I've never seen or heard of it in times except in reading about medieval courtships.

actually fairly common in the generation before mine, still common in many countries

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Every freaking day the GOP find a brand new way to lower the bar with yet another disgusting and shameful hypocrisy. It’s one thing to have regressive and isolationist policies, it’s another entirely to support a child molester in order to win a Senate election.

Why don't you wait and see if he actually wins. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Okay, maybe it's just a different cultural reality. I've never seen or heard of it in times except in reading about medieval courtships.

I called my wife's father for permission before asking her to marry me.  Does that count?

Though we were both in our 20's.  And if he said no, I would have done it anyways.  I was really just being polite.  I was taught you were supposed to ask the father first.  Now that I think about it, I don't really get it though.  She was an adult, no need to ask him.  Was I supposed to offer a dowry also?  Meh.....whatever.

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah. 2016 opened my eyes more than anything. This country is done. It was a great run everyone. Lot of great moments. Lots of bad ones too tho. Strap in, it’ll be a rough ride to the end 

Hopefully the next great civilization that emerges from the ashes will learn from us. 

Sadly, I've been wondering if this is the case.  My question is, assuming you are correct, what happens?

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I called my wife's father for permission before asking her to marry me.  Does that count?

Though we were both in our 20's.  And if he said no, I would have done it anyways.  I was really just being polite.  I was taught you were supposed to ask the father first.  Now that I think about it, I don't really get it though.  She was an adult, no need to ask him.  Was I supposed to offer a dowry also?  Meh.....whatever.

My SIL did that, kinda surprised me, I will say that gesture kept me from decking him a few times.

I didn't ask mine, telling him after the engagement was kinda fun though.

Knew him all my life and he never saw it coming.:ols:

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I didn't ask, antiquated custom.  My now wife and I were legal adults, and were going to get married regardless, so what was the point?

One of my closest friends was marrying a girl from another culture, and got grilled by her father about his future prospects, etc.  Keeping in mind, this guy was in the middle of defending his doctorate degree in epidemiology.  **** that noise.  I love the guy like a brother, and his wife is a wonderful woman, but her father could have pounded sand if it was me.  This isn't a country where "I forbid it and you've embarrassed the family because we say so" holds any water. 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Why? It’s clear that there is no small portion of politicians who are obviously willing to excuse child molestation for political expediency. Want proof? They’ve said as much, and Hannity has joined the mix. So now the most prominent Rightwing media voice just gave his airtime in order for a child molester to try and win an election.

You want me to excuse or ignore that? We know what their values are. Feel free to hope for the best, but it’s clear that there’s more than a few who are rotten.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Just pointing out: If virtually the entire GOP continues as they have been - including actually threatening anybody who runs - and the guy loses, then the entire Party (and the state of Alabama) should still be ashamed.  

But then, they should have been ashamed of him 10 years ago, so . . . . .