Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

My opinion:

Gruden is really good at big picture aspects of coaching.  I really like his overall philosophy, ability to motivate players, create a healthy, accountable work environment, deal with the media and upper management, and install a successful offense.

Where he needs help in my mind is dealing with the nitty gritty day to day details.  He is not a micromanager and prefers to let the players police themselves and the locker room.  I think this was the reason him and McVay were able to work so well together.  Gruden has the great play calling creativity, but McVay was the one who made sure it was executed correctly on gameday. 

Jay's offense is just as good as it's always been, but I think the players are not executing it nearly as well as last year.  Think about how close we've been on some of our busted plays:  Doctson in the endzone, Kirk talking about how close he and Pryor were to getting 2 tds last week, etc.

McVay was so detail oriented that I think there was an inevitable drop off to our offense's efficiency when he left.  Not saying Cavanaugh can't get it done eventually but that seems to be where the issue lies IMO.

In my mind Gruden is definitely the one I want leading the ship, but in order to reach the next level, I think he needs to get better assistants he is comfortable delegating to.  He is a great big picture coach, but needs a detail oriented coaching staff to help bring his plan into focus.  That will lead to better player performances on gameday, and more consistent execution.  Having assistants he trusts to delegate more duties to should also help him manage things like playclock and timeouts on gameday because he has less aspects of the offense to worry about personally controlling.

One aspect of him that I find promising is he seems to always be willing to try new things to motivate the team.  He also is rather quick to admit when things aren't going well and try something new to correct it.  I absolutely want him to stay, and am confident that the longer he stays as head coach, the more areas of the game he will be able to figure out what works for him, properly delegate someone who he trusts to execute his vision, and smooth over any remaining rough spots that keep us from getting to the next level. 

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well that didn't last long.  Back to sell immediately.

i really should have trusted my gut and just stayed on sell.

I don't want to be right, I wanna be wrong. But I am going by my gut. By my coaching experience, even if at competitive youth level. I been saying it for years, hoping he would develop. I still hope a miracle occurs and he can get the W here in Philly now. I just don't see how he continues to close out halves the way he does. I want him to learn from his mistakes, but he doesn't. He continues to run on first with box loaded, then throws on 3rd and short, smdh. 

Just now, rabidskin said:

Sell, Sell, Sell....Bruce Allen giveaway for free.....Gruden for a dollar.....send Pryor to Dallas practice squad for free and time to let Junior Gallette walk.

I take it if this was options trading that you're shorting the front office and Gruden?

Tonight is probably the worst playcalling I have seen from him. 

2nd and 2 - pass

3rd and 2 - pass

3rd and 1 - pass

3rd and 1 - pass

All incomplete. Why? The playcalling before the half was inexcusable though. Calling a pass on 3rd and 1 with 2 minutes to go was just unbelievable. The pass is incomplete, the clock stops, Philly gets the ball back to run a 2 minute offense (which the Redskins defense is notoriously bad at) and they of course score PLUS they get the ball to start the second half.  

Four plays changed the momentum of this game

Offense - The passes called on two separate 3rd and 1 plays (both times out of the shotgun too so an obvious passing situation)

Defense - The long TD that Swearinger gave up and the Wentz scramble

A lot of things went wrong in this game but I put the primary blame on Gruden. Having said that, I'm not ready to sell yet but if he calls another game like this one? BYE!

Archived