Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Certainly it's died of natural causes at this point. Though I again say the lack of having extra TEs to split wide shouldn't have had much of an effect. The same thing can be done with WRs.

Of course, although the thought is that our TEs are better pass catchers than our WRs at this point

Hard sell for me. Tired of all of the excuses. Tired of the team not adjusting to anything. Sorry playcalling. Poor clock management. Passive and pathetic. Need a coach to be able to light a fire under the player's asses and have them ready to play week in and week out. That's not Gruden!!! I've seen enough, but not sure if Snyder has. ?

Excuses?  I've been watching (like most here) the NFL for decades.  I've not seen anything even remotely like this as to injuries.  Sheehan was just talking about this, too.  No O line, No TEs.  Allen out then Ioannidis. Mason Foster out.  Breeland out.  Kicker out -- might have cost us yesterday's game.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-limp-to-seasons-midpoint-after-a-predictable-loss-and-mounting-injuries/2017/10/29/4d4fe5ee-bcca-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.7ec9228536ea

It could’ve been worse. That’s a frustrating truth. The team just fell to 0-3 in the NFC East division. At 3-4 and amid a stretch of tough competition, its playoff hopes are dwindling. But, hey, Cousins didn’t get killed, and the game was kind of close. So, whew.

It’s just sad. You can pick out little things that anger you, but in the big picture, this poor, injured team did the best it could. And that’s not a fun conclusion.

“You really can’t make this up,” said Trent Williams, the team’s normal left tackle. “This is something that I’ve never in my life, playing football, never seen this type of injury bug bite a team like it’s bitten us.”

Nine more games? Right now, that sounds like too much opportunity to get hurt.

After Clemmings was injured on Cousins’s touchdown pass to Josh Doctson, the team went to its No. 4 left tackle, which doesn’t even exist. It moved guard Tyler Catalina to protect Cousins’s blind side.

The score was 26-19 with 4:35 left. Washington had a chance. The moment should have inspired belief.

But Clemmings went down and stayed down for a good while. Minutes later, after he grimaced and hobbled to the sideline, Gruden tapped him on the arm, said a few encouraging words and shook his head.

Even when Washington had a chance, it had no chance.

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sell not based on one game or one season. I stated He did probably his best job game planning this game considering. HE got guys open and didn't really screw the pooch like he had in the past. This game was on Kirk really. That said....I am in soft sell mode. 

I'd sell on Cousins and give Gruden one more year based on all of the injuries this year. HOWEVER, he needs a top notch offensive coordinator because he's getting beat too often in the 2nd half because of poor execution, specifically in the red zone. I'd like to see what Jay could do with a more mobile QB who has a little more moxy than Kirk does. If you haven't done so already, read the article on Cousins in ESPN magazine and you can tell that Jay and Kirk aren't on the same page with the offense. I think we've come out prepared in some tough games but need help with scoring points....looks like we miss McVay.

It is hard to sell Gruden with the amount of injury this team is facing. Are there even any more starters left besides our wide receivers? How convenient that the worst position for us is the only one not being touched by the injury bug. Which position hast been hit by a significant injury yet? I mean, its literally just about all of our top line talent. 

Allen, Iaoniddis now with a broken hand(ill never spell his name right), both #1 dt, Foster, Breeland, Norman (thankfully back), Murphy, Williams, Scherff, Long, Lavauo, Reed, Kelly (he kind of sucks anyway, but he is still the #1), Paul, Hopkins. Then, for the o line, our 3rd tackle was already on  the injury report. I mean....the defensive and offensive line  has pretty much lost every starter except for Moses, who is still playing on not 1, but 2 sprained ankles. 

Jesus christ, what can you do with that? 

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'd sell on Cousins and give Gruden one more year based on all of the injuries this year. HOWEVER, he needs a top notch offensive coordinator because he's getting beat too often in the 2nd half because of poor execution, specifically in the red zone. I'd like to see what Jay could do with a more mobile QB who has a little more moxy than Kirk does. If you haven't done so already, read the article on Cousins in ESPN magazine and you can tell that Jay and Kirk aren't on the same page with the offense. I think we've come out prepared in some tough games but need help with scoring points....looks like we miss McVay.

We do? The Skins STUNK in the redzone with McVay and had MUCH MUCH better receivers to throw to and a healthy Jordan Reed.

I'm probably selling.  This probably shouldn't make as much of a difference to me, but I want a coach to come in and redefine Redskins football.  Joe Gibbs spent a lot of time explaining what it means to be a Redskin.  I don't see players playing with pride.  Worse yet, I see a lot of low football IQ mistakes, starters or otherwise.

1 hour ago, D'Pablo said:

I'm probably selling.  This probably shouldn't make as much of a difference to me, but I want a coach to come in and redefine Redskins football.  Joe Gibbs spent a lot of time explaining what it means to be a Redskin.  I don't see players playing with pride.  Worse yet, I see a lot of low football IQ mistakes, starters or otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Really? 

Then we're probably not watching the same team...

I'm with @Wildbunnyhere, you can accuse the team of a lot of things, some of them justified, but "playing without pride" is damn sure NOT one of them... 

5 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

It is hard to sell Gruden with the amount of injury this team is facing.

Bull crap.  The injuries amplify the problem.

1. It took him 3 tries to find a competent DC

2. His current offensive coaching staff setup is stupid. Cavanaugh is the OC, but Gruden and Callahan have more game-planning responsibilities.  It sub-optimizes everything. 

3. He didn't learn that he needs to delegate responsibilities

4. He's crap at clock management.

5. The team starts slow every year, and he hasn't figured that one out yet.  

6. He essentially has the final say on the 53 man roster and he selected Ryan Grant and Rob Kelley as starting WR and RB.

7. His teams play with a low football IQ.  Lots of missed assignments, guys going the wrong way, dumb mistakes.  

That's 7 reason to sell Gruden right now, and none of them have beens all to do with injuries, and all were problems before the injuries.  

I will give credit, his teams play hard and care. 

I call sell. We are in a rebuild anyway, without long term QB, seems half the team on one year contracts. Lots of young players in development. 

We are going to be competing with the Giants for last place. Might as well lose out so we can get a good QB prospect, and good veteran QB.

We just lost a good RB prospect.

It's a hold for me. He's working with a 2, 7 off-suited. Just too many injuries and lack of WR talent to hold the lack of success against Gruden. (Knowing the power trip that Allen is on, there's no way that Gruden has a vote for personnel acquisitions/departures). It's impressive that he's rolled with the punches and still has a top-10, offense. For an offensive-minded head coach, these punches aren't jabs either, these are big blows.

Is there room for improvement with Gruden, absolutely. Clock management and coaches pets would be my two buggaboos. Also, I'd like him to bring in another offensive mind to bounce ideas off of and possibly take over playcalling. 

Gruden has these guys inspired, which was something I've questioned up until this year. He deserves to have a shot next year at coaching a team of starters.  

Buying/holding is simple because nothing major will change with the team. If you say you'd like to sell, I want to know a replacement. The idea that people view Gruden so negatively that they don't care who's next in line is what doesn't allow me to take the talk seriously. I said it earlier today and I'll say it again- the only way you can want to sell Gruden is if you have the utmost faith that Snyder/Allen will make a good decision on the next guy... and barring a catastrophic last 9 games of the season, I'd much rather not go that route. 

If some of you want to give Gruden a pass because of injuries, fine. But nothing is going to change even if we're healthier next year.

Gruden's ceiling is 8 or 9 wins. We will never become a force with him as HC.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2. His current offensive coaching staff setup is stupid. Cavanaugh is the OC, but Gruden and Callahan have more game-planning responsibilities.  It sub-optimizes everything. 

6. He essentially has the final say on the 53 man roster and he selected Ryan Grant and Rob Kelley as starting WR and RB.

7. His teams play with a low football IQ.  Lots of missed assignments, guys going the wrong way, dumb mistakes.  

That's 7 reason to sell Gruden right now, and none of them have beens all to do with injuries, and all were problems before the injuries.  

1: I would say 2not sure he really had a say over keeping Haslett or not.

2: I would think that was the deal in bringing Callahan. But don't like it either that there's so many people involved in play calling process.

3: He already did it when he handle the Offensive job to McVay. Not sure he had a better opportunity than doing it again this year.

4: Like what? 75 of the HC in the NFL?

5: Slow start doesn't matter, being competitive and ready by late november / december is what matters. You go through the first part of the season as you can.No need to get cute or fancy early. 

6: Didn't had other opportunities for RB, and to be fair, Doctson, Pryor and Crowder took themselves out of the WR position early in the season.

7: Like 100% of teams and more than 50% of the players. We're talking about not so bright guys having to learn and digests hundredth of pages of either offensive or defensive boring playbook. 

I get your point VoR but I'm pretty sure lots of these kind of things can be said for nearly every team in the NFL.

I wanted Dareus and knew he was on the block at the beginning of the season.... jags get him for a 6th round pick and we are playing scrubs lol

Then Mack Brown gets cut and picked up by the Vikes and we lose our two best Dline man in consecutive games.

Gruden/Allen/whoever, needed to make moves like the one for Dareus and instead we always sit there on our ass. 

Where do we go from here!?

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I still dont think he is a hard sell based on those reasons. If we werent bit by injuries so badly, we would be competing. This team looked like a top 10 unit until KC when the injuries started to roll in. When you lose 4 of 5 starters on the oline and 2 of 3 starters on the dline, you are bound to look bad. Depth only goes so far when you have 53 players.

1. Yeah, but there was also a lack of talent on that defense for a while, so I dont think we would have ever been fielding a top 20 unit. 

2. Agree

3. Thats kind of the same as 2.

4. Yup, definitely a problem.

5. Also agree partially. It was expected this season with all the roster turnover. Could also be that Kirk just has issues because he also starts slow every year. The defense played well out of the gate.

6. Rob Kelley still might be the best of the bunch in terms of 2 down RB....weakest position on the team behind WR. It isnt like he had a lot to choose from with Grant/Kelley

7. I think that was definitely the case this year, but I am not seeing it as much this year. 

Garrett used to have a host of similar problems also. I dont think we are at a point when we need to blow it up and start all over again. This team showed signs this year of putting it together and having a team that plays hard for you is a big factor. Lots of other teams would quit, but these players are working to get back from injury and seem to really care, which is a rarity in Washington for a long time. 

I'm not happy with Gruden either, but...

Iif Snyder fires him, someone else will pick him up as a HC or OC.  Most likely it will be a bad team that just needs a real QB to become a decent or good team..  Kirk will be a free agent or close to it. 

Do you think Synder is willing to risk Kirk winning playoff games for an ex-Redskins coach?

Archived