Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He is exactly what his record says he is.  He's an 8-8 coach. 

He is. What upsets me is that I dont think he was given and 8-8 team these last two years. Kinda want to throw this year out cause of injuries but that we have to instead of coaching getting it done for us is not a good reflection on him. Sucks. 

What hurts me more is whats going on in LA

6 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

stupid thread...

3 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

Insightful comment. 

Somewhere in the TOS it states if you got nothing to add go ahead and don't. I think discussing the merits of the HC are worthy, Buy or Sell can change like the wind. Hold today, who knows about tomorrow. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, DM72 said:

If some of you want to give Gruden a pass because of injuries, fine. But nothing is going to change even if we're healthier next year.

Gruden's ceiling is 8 or 9 wins. We will never become a force with him as HC.

I'm thinking that I agree with this...8 or 9 wins is the ceiling here.  And that is not what Redskins football is all about!

I don't know, Jason Garrett went 8-8 three years in a row and then went 12-4 two out of the next three seasons(2015 being the outlier because of the Romo injury)and they appear to be a playoff contender again.

Ron Rivera mired in 8-8 land for a while too before turning the Panthers into a playoff contender.

Sometimes 8-8 isn't the ceiling, but a roadblock on the way to prosperity. The question is, is that the case here? We shall see...

Have seen enough of Gruden to be convinced that he doesn't deserve any time beyond his current contract. Who should replace him -- I have NO idea. I just want a real, bona fide GM to be given the time to build (Scot was not given that), and for "Hey, my last name is Allen" to be far removed from any player or coaching-related personnel decisions.

the term redskins football is a joke.  Gibbs was amazing.  George Allen traded for veterans and can't be compared to what is happening now.  Gibbs 2.0 is still the most successful tenure since Gibbs 1.0.  Some of you fans are just delusional to think we are going to find another gibbs

I don't want to find another Gibbs.  He was one of a kind.  I do want to have a coach (whether it's Gruden or someone else) that wants to create another "Gibbs-like" legacy. 

The glory days of the 80s are gone.  I hate references to the "new hogs" or "new posse" or whatever.  That was a different era, with different players and a different brand of football. 

We need to create new history.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, Warhead36 said:

I don't know, Jason Garrett went 8-8 three years in a row and then went 12-4 two out of the next three seasons(2015 being the outlier because of the Romo injury)and they appear to be a playoff contender again.

Ron Rivera mired in 8-8 land for a while too before turning the Panthers into a playoff contender.

Sometimes 8-8 isn't the ceiling, but a roadblock on the way to prosperity. The question is, is that the case here? We shall see...

Jason Garrett does NOTHING. He doesn't call plays on either side of the ball. His lone purpose is letting Jerry still drive the bus and to stand on the sidelines and clap his hands excessively. The team did better when he reduced his role.

Rivera is a pretty good HC. But Carolina is a very unique place to coach because of the Cam factor... they aren't like any other team, but I think Rivera has an identity that rubs off on everyone.

Jay is a .500 guy with a big heart. He's too easy going, thus his team lacks discipline. He's able to scheme an offense up but he can't handle in-game duties very well because frankly I don't think he's smart enough to multi-task. We miss boy wonder... Pryor and Doc would be better off of Sean was still here.

16 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

Jay is a .500 guy with a big heart. He's too easy going, thus his team lacks discipline. He's able to scheme an offense up but he can't handle in-game duties very well because frankly I don't think he's smart enough to multi-task. We miss boy wonder... Pryor and Doc would be better off of Sean was still here.

You mean a trash roster.  This offense is amazing what it has been doing with Pryor and Doctson who have done nothing.  

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

You mean a trash roster.  This offense is amazing what it has been doing with Pryor and Doctson who have done nothing.  

He’s one of the primary culprits in selecting the players and thinking Grant and Kelley were nfl talents.

he made his bed.  Now he’s got to lie in it.

btw, I don’t expect to win this game and I won’t put it on Griden. The only thing that will annoy me is he tries to play it straight up.. he’s got to take risks, and be creative.

if he just tries to go with the same old stuff, they’re out-matched from a talent perspective and will lose.

so call a reverse, a flee flicker, fake punt, go on 4th more aggressively, whatever.  But take risks and be creative.

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

He's not made an effort to involve either one... at least not since Pryor in the opener. With Crowder out today and Reed out again he has to throw to Josh early and often and give him a chance. Putting him in every third series and tossing a 50/50 ball is a bad plan. What he's done is involve CT and VD... but his game plans lack balance every week, he mismanages the clock regularly, he can't counter adjust after the D adjusts to him... he's a poor man's Norv Turner, a pretty damning statement from any Skins' fan.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

btw, I don’t expect to win this game and I won’t put it on Griden. The only thing that will annoy me is he tries to play it straight up.. he’s got to take risks, and be creative.

if he just tries to go with the same old stuff, they’re out-matched from a talent perspective and will lose.

so call a reverse, a flee flicker, fake punt, go on 4th more aggressively, whatever.  But take risks and be creative.

I'm with you on that, but I have this issue with every coach. I wish more coaches would play super aggresively in situations where they're clearly underdogs from a talent perspective.

I won't be watching today's game but I'd have no issue with Gruden onside kicking the opening kickoff, going for every reasonable 4th down inside Seahawk territory, going for 2 point conversions, etc.

3 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

An interesting ‘what if’ - McVay and Phillips seem to be doing a remarkable job. We could have had both.

Oh yeah. If things aren't bad enough, with each passing week it looks like we have kept the wrong coach.

This team is a play per game of turning the losses into wins. That is a sign of good coaching no matter how you spin it. He is far from perfect but he is a damn good coach. Not knowing the future of his QB? Gm getting fired in the offseason? Lost his coordinator? The injuries and schedule that this team has faced and still could go .500 for the first half? Gruden should be here for a long time and not getting pitchforked out of here.

Archived