Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

Id love to have one of those "Everything must go" blowout sale moments, but the truth is that you could combine the souls of Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, and Bill Walsh, and put them all into Denzel Washington (as coach Boone from Remember the Titans), and it still wouldn't be enough to cure what really ails this franchise

Ehh I hated Gruden's playcalling in the Eagles game. In this game, I was fine with it. 

You guys realize that to make up for the injuries on the offensive line we planned to do a lot of 2 TE and 3 TE sets. Once Paul and Reed got hurt that went out of the window. I saw a lot of complaints about not running the ball, how effective did you really think that would be considering personnel. 

The fact that we were even IN this game in the last two minutes was impressive considering not only the injuries but the team had turned the ball over multiple times.

1 minute ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Ehh I hated Gruden's playcalling in the Eagles game. In this game, I was fine with it. 

You guys realize that to make up for the injuries on the offensive line we planned to do a lot of 2 TE and 3 TE sets. Once Paul and Reed got hurt that went out of the window. I saw a lot of complaints about not running the ball, how effective did you really think that would be considering personnel. 

The fact that we were even IN this game in the last two minutes was impressive considering not only the injuries but the team had turned the ball over multiple times.

yep, losing paul AND reed was a major blow to anything we wanted to try on offense

I would sell him alone for the fact that the guy was yawning mid game.  WTF!  Maybe the cameras caught him at a bad time, but I don't think you should ever do that.  The guy clearly needs an OC because he can't do it alone.  He shouldn't have taken over duties in the 1st place.  Bottom line:  As much as people may want him gone, he isn't going anywhere soon especially after they extended for another 3 years.  The FO made their bed after they fired McGloughan and kept Gruden.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

I would sell him alone for the fact that the guy was yawning mid game.  WTF!  Maybe the cameras caught him at a bad time, but I don't think you should ever do that.

Eh. A Yawn is an involuntary physiological action. I think people are making too much of that, and it's silly.

Although it does lead to a potential new nickname- "The Yawning Void"

The Redskins ran the ball six times in the second half. A big part of their run package included two- and three- tight end sets. But they had one healthy tight end in the second half. They opted not to run much out of three receiver packages in part because of how Dallas positioned their safeties.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

That's part of the problem right there. They think these multi-TE sets are supposed to make it easier to run, but none of said TEs can block. The 3 TE set just brings extra defenders into the box that Reed, Davis and Paul can't do anything to neutralize.

The idea that we couldn't run the ball today because Jordan Reed was hurt sounds like it's intended to be a literal joke.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's part of the problem right there. They think these multi-TE sets are supposed to make it easier to run, but none of said TEs can block. The 3 TE set just brings extra defenders into the box that Reed, Davis and Paul can't do anything to neutralize.

The idea that we couldn't run the ball today because Jordan Reed was hurt sounds like it's intended to be a literal joke.

Isn't Paul a pretty good run blocker?  We use him as a fullback fairly often.  But regardless its less about them blocking and more about being able to disguise run and pass plays. 

1 hour ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Isn't Paul a pretty good run blocker?  We use him as a fullback fairly often.  But regardless its less about them blocking and more about being able to disguise run and pass plays. 

No, Paul is not a good blocker. And you don't disguise run plays more by lining up multiple TEs. Quite the opposite.

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

To add onto this, it doesn't appear that Gruden had anything for a back-up if that didn't work. The TEs we have are not blocking TEs, they're lumbering WRs.

I miss having a solid fullback to help create holes like Mike Sellars; dude was a friggin bowling ball.

I watched Gruden's presser, and I thought he was going to cry. He looks and talks defeated, with no answer to whats been happening.

28 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I thought the idea with the multi TE sets was they were going to spread it out more and not necessarily have them block

agree wholeheartedly that none of them can block though

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm not sure it's that easy.  We are an organizational failure. 

I know Snyder isn't going anywhere, so I won't engage in such folly.  But Bruce Allen needs to go.  He's the mayor of clown town.

Maybe that's true, but arguably our two best drafts over the last decade have been under Allen's stewardship. He also completely ended the days of cap hell. The one major screw up he has had has been Cousins... and possibly McCloughan.

Allen's an easy person to beat up and probably deserving of it. This last draft and our depth this year has been quite good. Receiver and QB notwithstanding. The only thing that bugs me about Allen is sometimes he pinches those pennies too damn tightly.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's not what we do. We pack those 3 TEs in and have them block. 

I know that's what we have done up to this point but I thought the supposed new wrinkle was going to be spreading them out more... Although if they were going to just continue with the pack it in TE approach then at least Jordans injury kept him from blocking DEs 1 on 1

1 hour ago, petedaddy said:

I know that's what we have done up to this point but I thought the supposed new wrinkle was going to be spreading them out more... Although if they were going to just continue with the pack it in TE approach then at least Jordans injury kept him from blocking DEs 1 on 1

I don't even understand what you're saying now. They couldn't run the ball because they didn't have TE available that they could split out wide like WRs? They were hampered by not having Reed to block, even though you acknowledge he's a terrible blocker?

No idea.

1 hour ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Regardless, not being able to run 3 TE or even 2 TE sets obviously hurt. I don't think that's debatable really. 

It's most certainly debatable. 

28 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't even understand what you're saying now. They couldn't run the ball because they didn't have TE available that they could split out wide like WRs? They were hampered by not having Reed to block, even though you acknowledge he's a terrible blocker

Haha, not sure why you're confused...I never said they could run with the 3 TE set using them as blockers...I was stating a completely separate point that I thought the idea today was to spread out the TEs more and not use them as blockers

I was agreeing with you though that they can't run the ball with the way they have been packing in the TEs 

Maybe you thought I was someone else

1 hour ago, petedaddy said:

Haha, not sure why you're confused...I never said they could run with the 3 TE set using them as blockers...I was stating a completely separate point that I thought the idea today was to spread out the TEs more and not use them as blockers

I was agreeing with you though that they can't run the ball with the way they have been packing in the TEs 

Maybe you thought I was someone else

I quoted a tweet from the Redskins beat writer that the team built their running game plan today around 2 and 3 TE sets and seem to be hinting that the Reed and Paul injuries are their excuse for not running better. That's what you responded to.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

I quoted a tweet from the Redskins beat writer that the team built their running game plan today around 2 and 3 TE sets and seem to be hinting that the Reed and Paul injuries are their excuse for not running better. That's what you responded to.

Haha, we've traveled way off the rails at this point...I was making a completely separate point regarding the multi TE set and that's why I added that I agreed with you they can't block

I was making my separate point that I thought they were going to use multi TE sets to spread out the TEs to use them more as receivers while simultaneously agreeing with you that if they did the pack it in 3 TE sets that it would have failed, as it has all season

Archived