Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

I would like for Gruden to give play-calling duties to someone else. I think the play designs are nice but he often calls plays that are head-scratchers. Our offense vastly improved when he gave the play-calling duties to Sean McVay, so I think we have quite a big room for improvement there.

Everyone can see that McVay obviously was a special talent now that he has completely transformed the Rams offense but there must be someone else out there that can do better in play-calling than Gruden does right now.

Unless we collapse to a double digit losses, Gruden is safe.

Gruden is a mediocre coach and that's all you will get from him, a middle mediocre team.  7-9 wins is about what you can expect under him.

His long term future depends on what we do at QB.

We keep Kirk then eventually, you are going to expect more from Gruden.  Being mediocre won't cut it and Jay will be fired, if he doesn't progress.

If we start over at QB, then that gives Jay time to let that new QB grow. Do we trade for someone? Do we draft someone?  Jay's best chance to be here a while, might be with a new QB.

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Unless we collapse to a double digit losses, Gruden is safe.

Gruden is a mediocre coach and that's all you will get from him, a middle mediocre team.  7-9 wins is about what you can expect under him.

His long term future depends on what we do at QB.

We keep Kirk then eventually, you are going to expect more from Gruden.  Being mediocre won't cut it and Jay will be fired, if he doesn't progress.

If we start over at QB, then that gives Jay time to let that new QB grow. Do we trade for someone? Do we draft someone?  Jay's best chance to be here a while, might be with a new QB.

This is kind of thought is baffling. The grass always seems to be greener. Jay Gruden is doing an extraordinary job with this team considering the multitude of injuries and the strength of schedule this team has played. 

How can anyone look at the grit and determination this team plays with and just blow off any contribution made by Jay as incidental or "mediocre"? As @Wildbunny said, players do not play this hard for coaches who are mediocre! They just do not do it. These guys are playing their hearts out for Jay. Morgan Moses should be on crutches but he is playing through not 1 but 2 sprained ankles. Others are playing hurt and trying very hard to get back from injury. The coaching staff is doing an amazing job and that's not despite Jay. He is their boss! They have to answer to him. He holds them accountable. No person is perfect. But good grief, some of the recent wins would have been horrible losses in past years and that's due to the head coach approving game plans, motivating players and holding people accountable.  

It takes time to build a winning atmosphere when you have a ****ty a roster as was here when Jay took over. As the team has added talent Jay has used that talent and improved the play on the field.  

People really need to take a step back into reality and see just what an amazing job Jay has done with this team, especially this year. 

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This kind of thought is baffling. The grass always seems to be greener. Jay Gruden is doing an extraordinary job with this considering the multitude of injuries and the strength of schedule this team has played. 

(lots of other meaty stuff. 

People really need to take a step back into reality and see just what an amazing job Jay has done with this team, especially this year. 

Again this is fluid, but also based on year over year production, return on Fanvestment. I stated a page or so back, he is in the Buy column now for me.

The Coaching against Eagles, Dallas and Seattle were beyond expectations considering not just injuries but previous job performance. He may end up being .500 again, but it looks right now He will carry them to slightly better or even better yet. He certainly wasn't perfect, but has the players playing out of their minds and exceeding their potential, two hallmarks for leadership, bodes well for short and long term if continued. 

At the mid-term considering this year and what has happened on this journey it is clear he improved year over year thus far. How he finishes, IDK, it's a volatile market. 

- Keep your ticker handy. 

59 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Again this is fluid, but also based on year over year production, return on Fanvestment. I stated a page or so back, he is in the Buy column now for me.

The Coaching against Eagles, Dallas and Seattle were beyond expectations considering not just injuries but previous job performance. He may end up being .500 again, but it looks right now He will carry them to slightly better or even better yet. He certainly wasn't perfect, but has the players playing out of their minds and exceeding their potential, two hallmarks for leadership, bodes well for short and long term if continued. 

At the mid-term considering this year and what has happened on this journey it is clear he improved year over year thus far. How he finishes, IDK, it's a volatile market. 

- Keep your ticker handy. 

Yup, the Buy, sell stuff is really and goes from one to another depending off next game's result.

He's far from perfect and can improve in many areas, as you and many others have stated.

It's perfectly fine for me to debate over these points. Especially since those are going with experience.

But to call him mediocre seems quite harsh to me as it's more than evident he's not. At the end of the year he might be our winningest coach since Norv.

10 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Yup, the Buy, sell stuff is really and goes from one to another depending off next game's result.

He's far from perfect and can improve in many areas, as you and many others have stated.

It's perfectly fine for me to debate over these points. Especially since those are going with experience.

But to call him mediocre seems quite harsh to me as it's more than evident he's not. At the end of the year he might be our winningest coach since Norv.

If he were Mediocre I don't think he would still be here, but some consider mediocre .500, I think .500 is a building place. Now am I impatient in the building process, sure. Do I expect to see growth year over year, sure. I said earlier, this year is a wash as far as getting rid of him if he sadly tanked out last 8 games. Such a hard year to judge. 

-Oh, and please don't bring up the N word, makes my eye twitch, lol. 

Boy I have taken a lot of grief over an opinion that runs contrary to communal thinking. Seems blindly following or painting Jay as such a great Coach makes you a super smart fan. Far be it to actually be weary and keep a watchful eye on the Head Coach. Two well coached games put me in the Buy column for now, but I won't or can't ignore some facts, none great than the overall record posted as a Coach. I think if this remains the trend through next year, I hope it doesn't, at some point the Team may have to move on. I would love to see that win pct. reverse to .663 Win v. Loss. 

Career: AFL: 93–61 (.604) UFL: 5–4 (.556) NFL: 25–31–1 (.447)

http://coachingtreehotseat.com/is-coach-jay-gruden-on-the-hot-seat/

True Hiring Score (THS)
61/100

*The Jay Gruden hot seat conversation cools off around 70
Jay Gruden was preceeded by with the Washington Redskins 3.44 seasons ago

Jay Gruden Hot Seat Status: 
Lucky he’s not on the Hot Seat

38 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Boy I have taken a lot of grief over an opinion that runs contrary to communal thinking. Seems blindly following or painting Jay as such a great Coach makes you a super smart fan. Far be it to actually be weary and keep a watchful eye on the Head Coach. Two well coached games put me in the Buy column for now, but I won't or can't ignore some facts, none great than the overall record posted as a Coach. I think if this remains the trend through next year, I hope it doesn't, at some point the Team may have to move on. I would love to see that win pct. reverse to .663 Win v. Loss. 

Im on your side of this camp... Has he done well?  Yes.  Do I see a couple of things that make me wonder if he can take that step to get us where we ultimately want to go? Yes I do, most glaring is playcalling.  At times brilliant, at times completely atrocious.  Like said earlier, the play designs to me have shown some fantastic ability.... when they're called is baffling.  Vs Dallas, Rob Kelley broke through on 1st down for a gain of 8.  That brings up 2nd and 2.  We then run 2 passing plays. Thats not ok to me.  The play that effectively won us the game vs Seattle was an audible at the line... Gruden did tell Kirk if it was press-man, that the option was there, so I guess he does get some credit.  I also for the life of me cannot figure out why we give the ball to Thompson virtually every time he's in the game.  He is the ultimate decoy, but i haven't seen him used this way as much as I would like to.  

There are some other things i've questioned like the intensity of the team, and the fire the guys play with... getting up for big games, making big time plays, things that kind of start with the attitude of leadership.  Manusky has bridged this gap a bit so kudos to that, it could make up for the 'blah' look Gruden gets at least on the sidelines.  I also like that he's started trusting Kirk more... It would appear that Gruden has allowed Kirk the freedom to control a bit more on the field, and it's worked.  I just hope it continues. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/jay-gruden-engenders-loyalty-from-players-will-that-translate-into-staying-power/2017/11/10/cdee153c-c656-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html?tid=sm_tw_ps&utm_term=.6ac0397fb3cf

...“There’s not one player on this team that I don’t enjoy messing around with and talking to,” Gruden said. “They’ve all got great personalities. They’re great kids.”

And most Redskins players, in turn, “would run through a wall” for Gruden, according to inside linebacker Mason Foster, who tweeted as much last week.

“After a bad practice or a bad game, he’s the first one to let you know you’re not getting it done; Jay’s gonna let you know it’s not good enough,” explained Foster, currently on injured reserve, in a telephone interview. “But he’s also the first, after a great game or a great play, to say, ‘You looked great out there! You guys are playing your hearts out!’ Jay keeps it real with you. And he actually cares about you as a person.”

...After nearly two decades of promising hires and premature departures, it’s unclear if any Redskins coach can achieve long-term success under Snyder, whose tenure has been marked by tumult. Who might succeed where such proven commodities as Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan fell short?

...Could it be that the seemingly imperturbable Gruden has a shot?

Could it be that the unconventional approach of a head coach who’s happy to let players be themselves, rather than force them to buckle to his will, so long as they get job done is ultimately best suited for the job?

“He’s hard on us, but at the same time he’s laughing and joking and having fun with us,” said running back Chris Thompson, who has flourished under Gruden’s coaching. “As a whole, everybody just enjoys coming to work; they enjoy being around him. He’s never in a pissy mood. And if he is, it goes away quick.”

Asked about his demeanor earlier in the season, Gruden confessed, “I’m a happy guy.”

In doing so, Gruden broke the unspoken creed of old-line NFL coaches that greatness is one step removed from misery — that the price of postseason glory, for an NFL head coach, was physical and psychological well-being in the form of ulcers, anxiety and lack of sleep.

...Norman is on board.

“It’s hard to explain Jay Gruden,” Norman said. “When he’s serious, he’s serious. Most of the time, he never is. But he’s a players’ coach — someone that’s all about their men, that fights for ’em and wants to see them be successful. You want to do good for a guy like that. You don’t want to see him go nowhere.”

The players speaking out for him says a lot about Him and why he should be given every chance to succeed. Fosters comment was enough to move me to Buy currently. Added that Norman spoke well for him also, shows a lot. FA's Norman and Brown have really taken over as the leaders of this defense, long time anyone could claim that for the Redskins. 

I don’t want this guy anywhere near the playbook. Terrible play calling. 

Awfull clock management. Awfull game management. Constantly tries to run a 150 pound RB up the best D line in the league on 3rd and 4th and short. 

I’m done with him. He seems like a nice guy and talks nice on those conferences, but has no idea how to get the best out of his team. We might not be the best team in the league, but with a coach like Reid or Caroll this is a 6-3 team at least.

Sell....BUT not yet.  One more full season just to see if miracles happen.  At the beginning of the season I believed we were an average team.  With the tough opponents we have played and will play this season - I have been generally pleased with how we have been competitive in most of the games. Next season I want 10 wins. No ifs no buts.

On 11/8/2017 at 5:41 PM, Panninho said:

I would like for Gruden to give play-calling duties to someone else. I think the play designs are nice but he often calls plays that are head-scratchers. Our offense vastly improved when he gave the play-calling duties to Sean McVay, so I think we have quite a big room for improvement there.

Everyone can see that McVay obviously was a special talent now that he has completely transformed the Rams offense but there must be someone else out there that can do better in play-calling than Gruden does right now.

Yeah, he can't dance when the slow song is on and he's with the Hot chick apparently. 

Archived