Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

57 minutes ago, thebeermonkey said:

An interesting ‘what if’ - McVay and Phillips seem to be doing a remarkable job. We could have had both.

Of greater concern is that Bruce didn't see it and got rid of Scot, let that soak in.

51 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

This team is a play per game of turning the losses into wins. That is a sign of good coaching no matter how you spin it. He is far from perfect but he is a damn good coach. Not knowing the future of his QB? Gm getting fired in the offseason? Lost his coordinator? The injuries and schedule that this team has faced and still could go .500 for the first half? Gruden should be here for a long time and not getting pitchforked out of here.

Disagree for the same exact reason you first state. Winner find ways to Win, overcoming odds, overcoming mistakes, learning from them and improving. I am more for giving him a pass for this year based on circumstance, but this thread, and the one the year before share the same analytics. He is not getting us over the hump. He doesn't make the right calls at the right time. Yes there are plenty of good aspects to the guy, that said, still at HOLD after this long is not encouraging. 

I don't want to hear anything negative about our coaching staff. 

Considering the amount of injuries and all the adversity, particularly on the offensive side of the ball (4 offensive lineman out, most productive WR and two tight ends) the fact that the team won and the backups played as well as they did is incredibly impressive. 

This team plays harder for Gruden then I've seen any Redskins team play for their coach in a long while.

58 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I don't want to hear anything negative about our coaching staff. 

Considering the amount of injuries and all the adversity, particularly on the offensive side of the ball (4 offensive lineman out, most productive WR and two tight ends) the fact that the team won and the backups played as well as they did is incredibly impressive. 

This team plays harder for Gruden then I've seen any Redskins team play for their coach in a long while.

So you are in the Buy column, You may not wanna hear anything negative, but that don't change the facts that there are negatives. 

8 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Best win of his tenure if you ask me..

I don’t know, we’ve had other wins that were great too at those times. 2015: Vs Saints (slapped them around 47-14), Vs Bills (we won 35-24 IIRC), Vs Eagles (division winning game), and Vs Dallas (week 17, destroyed them in a meaningless game). 

2016: Vs Packers (beat them 42-24), Vs Bears (scored what, 41? To keep us in the wildcard race). 

2017: Vs Raiders (big win at the time) and now this one 

for Gruden, I’m at hold right now. Win today was great and saved our season for now, and we’ve been so injured lately so I guess I can’t blame him for some of the losses. 

He DID move past Shanahan for wins as a redskins head coach, so that’s nice 

Compared to the other coaches in the league, Gruden is pretty good. The team generally comes in prepared to play, motivated, and plays hard. Backups are being forced into roles and coached up. Young players have developed under his tutelage.

His issues are gameday stuff like clock management, playcalling, etc. but guess what? EVERY coach(save maybe Bellicheck)has issues in this area. Watch other games and you'll see.

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t know, we’ve had other wins that were great too at those times. 2015: Vs Saints (slapped them around 47-14), Vs Bills (we won 35-24 IIRC), Vs Eagles (division winning game), and Vs Dallas (week 17, destroyed them in a meaningless game). 

2016: Vs Packers (beat them 42-24), Vs Bears (scored what, 41? To keep us in the wildcard race). 

2017: Vs Raiders (big win at the time) and now this one 

for Gruden, I’m at hold right now. Win today was great and saved our season for now, and we’ve been so injured lately so I guess I can’t blame him for some of the losses. 

He DID move past Shanahan for wins as a redskins head coach, so that’s nice 

Yea that Packer win last year was awesome, you can put the Raider game up there too. But we're in Seattle, we've won there I think once since they opened up CenturyLink and that was back in 2011 and they only had a couple pieces of their dynasty on that team. Add the injury factor, all the guys they signed in the last week or 2 just to fill the roster, the offensive whoa's we've had, I had no hope for them in this game. The fact that they pulled it off though..

This team straight up played with heart even when I didn't have it for them.. 

I mean think about the future, when we get these guys back healthy, when we add more depth. They know they are a good team, we've just been hit with the injury bug, but it seem to me we're going to be in just about every game the rest of the way.

1 minute ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

But we're in Seattle, we've won there I think once since they opened up CenturyLink

CenturyLink (well, the stadium itself) has been the home of the Seahawks since 2002. We beat them there in 2002 (Seahawks Stadium), 2008 (Qwest Field), and 2011 (CenturyLink Field), and then today as well. So we are currently 4-0 in their stadium (in regular season). 

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

CenturyLink (well, the stadium itself) has been the home of the Seahawks since 2002. We beat them there in 2002 (Seahawks Stadium), 2008 (Qwest Field), and 2011 (CenturyLink Field), and then today as well. So we are currently 4-0 in their stadium (in regular season). 

Good god your right. I guess I'm so caught up in our recent history with them and all those losses in those big games I forgot about our bad teams that won there..

5 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Good god your right. I guess I'm so caught up in our recent history with them and all those losses in those big games I forgot about our bad teams that won there..

If only we could figure out a way to bring that regular season success into the playoffs against them ? I’d like as many chances as it takes to finally hand them a playoff loss.

8 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Jay Gruden is borderline retarded. 

That timeout at the end.  Stupid.

The one he took prior to the last play?

Bleh, no harm in taking a TO and make sure you get everything ready and get your best players on the field. Double check and extra rest for your D that has been on the field so long couldn't harm at all...

I can see the point in complaining about TO at time, but definately not this one.

9 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

Absolutely terrible.

one decent series the rest was absolutely unforgivable. 

The offfnse of last year was McVay - this guy is hopeless beyond belief sometimes.

Ok what do you mean by that? What would McVay be doing if he was still here with the situation with our o-line?  I believe this is Jay's offense, not McVay's. And I give McVay for the job he's doing but it sure is easier to call plays when you have an elite back like Gurley. 

11 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Jay Gruden is borderline       Edit: Removed offensive analogy.

That timeout at the end.  Stupid.

This is one of the worst of many really ridiculous takes on Jay. That timeout at the end was absolutely the right thing to do. You HAVE to take that timeout!!! You need to get the right personnel in the game to defend the hailmary and make sure all the guys are on the same page. Especially with all the injuries. There were people on the field that have only been here a short time.

The rest is not just at you but all those whining about Jay.

I cannot believe the whining and ****ing about Jay in here! This team is decimated with injuries. Seattle is almost unbeatable at home. They have a very very good defense. There were guys on the online that have barely a few games under their belt! Both the starting LT and the backup are injured - only the most important oline position. This was hard fought game against a very good team in their building very undermanned. The off was not good much of the game but there are guys on the other side of the ball that want to win too! Yet they made plays when they had to - something people have been wanting all year - "good teams find a way to win when they are not at their best". This was that type of game. the off was not at it's best due to both injuries and yes less than stellar play. But they found a way to win!

But instead of recognizing just how good a job Jay, and really the entire staff, is doing by getting guys ready to play that have barely been here a few weeks - something he has done very well at since he got here, instead it's - it's stupid TOs, bad play calling - you realize he is the one who called those plays at the end of the game right? And that he has been calling deeper throws much of the year that but Kirk has just not felt comfortable with his WRs yet - I am hoping this gets them going in terms of trust - and more.  

I have news for you people, the good things happening on this team are not in spite of Jay. It's because of him. That's his staff there regardless of he actually hand picked each one or not. They work for him. If the coaching staff were not functioning as a team they would be total ****.

Jay gets entirely too little credit for much of the positive he is doing for this team. I realize it's easy to sit on the couch and nit-pick and over analyze each move in a vacuum. But the reality is that while no one is perfect, as a whole he is doing a very good job.   

Archived