Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden: Buy, Sell Or HOLD: 2017 edition

SWFLSkins

I’m one of the biggest Gruden critics on the board.  

Id be willing to sell if he essentially gave up all say on roster moves.  He was a big component of the idea that Grant and Kelley are starters.  He’s wrong.  And it was a massively stupid idea from the start. 

Hes trying to to win a gunfight with a squirt gun.  And he’s responsible for not at least going out to the store and getting a price on a super soaker.  

I give him him credit for putting together good plans to most effectively utilize his personnel, especially with all the injuries.

but he’s part of the reason for the problem to begin with.

the test balloon to see if there is any change and if the team has got is if they resign Grant.  If they do, nothing has changed and we’re going to continue to be an 8-8 team.

btw, we’ll be 8-8 again this year. Maybe 9-7. 

Offensively I think Gruden for the most part called a good game today. I hated those two run plays on 3rd and 4th and 1, but other then that, I have no complaints. Guys were getting open and we had some success running the ball. The run to play ratio was even until we fell behind by 3 scores.

Individual execution is what lost us the game today, particularly by important players. Cousins missed a wide open Doc and threw a pick. Doc fell down when wide open. Crowder dropped balls. Scherff got abused on the 4th and 1 run. Kerrigan didn't get a single sack. Norman and Breeland got lit up.

Gruden had the players in position to succeed. After that, professional players gotta make plays in front of them.

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The only place I can really fault Jay for today were the 2 egregious runs in the 4th.

The rest is on the roster, a lot of the big $ guys on this team came up very small today.

Agree 100% with this, but even then, the 4th down run probably works if Brandon Scherff, a Pro Bowler, doesn't get beat.

if you can't trust a Pro Bowler, what are you gonna do?

Players gotta make plays.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Watch it again. It almost definitely wouldn't have worked anyway.

I'd need to see it again. I think if Thompson gets near the edge he has a chance to make a guy miss.

It was still a bad play call but wouldn't have been as bad if our Pro Bowl top 5 pick guard does his job.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd need to see it again. I think if Thompson gets near the edge he has a chance to make a guy miss.

It was still a bad play call but wouldn't have been as bad if our Pro Bowl top 5 pick guard does his job.

Not as bad, but there were other guys who likely would have stopped him. 

Bad call, but the third down one was probably worse, going with a 150 pound RB up the gut.

So, the trophy for best ex-Cinci coordinator turned head coach goes to... the Minnesota Vikings :(

19 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

The Gruden/Cousins combo are as successful as they're going to be. If we resign Cousins we need a different coach. At this point we're probably stuck in the Norv zone if we stay with Jay (6 to 9 wins/yr).

I don't think so. I think if you keep Cousins you need to keep Gruden. You can't go back to ground zero paying a QB franchise money. With a new HC it will take at least two years for the offense to back up to speed. If you want Cousins then you have keep Gruden.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agree 100% with this, but even then, the 4th down run probably works if Brandon Scherff, a Pro Bowler, doesn't get beat.

if you can't trust a Pro Bowler, what are you gonna do?

Players gotta make plays.

Not sure Scherff really is the one to fault here.They played great D in the end.

On the other hand, guys like Norman, Crowder at times and Doctson doing its best Ryan 'slippy' Grant impersonation in the endzone were terrible...

The guy we crowned last week was totally owned in the 2nd Q as well...

26 minutes ago, celticsalmon said:

Gruden is where he is because of his brother and the Bruce Allen Tampa Bay Connection. Period! Those are his qualifications!

That's so sad, but true.  This guy may the Vince Lombardi of the Arena League, but IMO he looks so befuddled as an NFL coach.  Don't know exactly where it was, but someone said that he may have peaked in 2015 when put his own @ss on the line by naming Cousins the starter and they won the division.  It's definitely been a decline since then and they've been inconsistent.

19 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

That's so sad, but true.  This guy may the Vince Lombardi of the Arena League, but IMO he looks so befuddled as an NFL coach.  Don't know exactly where it was, but someone said that he may have peaked in 2015 when put his own @ss on the line by naming Cousins the starter and they won the division.  It's definitely been a decline since then and they've been inconsistent.

you mean having back to back winning seasons despite a joke defense. Gruden is the best coach since Gibbs 1.0

22 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

you mean having back to back winning seasons despite a joke defense. Gruden is the best coach since Gibbs 1.0

IMO, that had a lot to do with the FO structure that they had in place.  One of main people involved with that is no longer here and now we are seeing a decline.  It's possible Gruden turns it around and they have another winning season, but probably not.  Gruden is below average to average at best as an NFL head coach.

There's a part of me looking at what the Rams are doing and wishing we could have fired Gruden last season and hired McVay. I know it's unfair and injuries are a big part of this season's story, but damn the Rams have made a big, fast, and strong turnaround while we keep on striding, stumbling, and bumbling.

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

There's a part of me looking at what the Rams are doing and wishing we could have fired Gruden last season and hired McVay. I know it's unfair and injuries are a big part of this season's story, but damn the Rams have made a big, fast, and strong turnaround while we keep on striding, stumbling, and bumbling.

McVay and Joe Barry have to be be laughing at Gruden and the rest of this organization right now.  I bet McVay couldn't wait to GTFOH and start carving his path as a HC.  

24 minutes ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Not having a real RB has held this offense back a lot & cut ties with JReed already.Best ability is availability.

For me this is the primary reason why we are struggling offensively, especially in the redzone.

Yeah Sean McVay is doing great with the Rams offense, but he didn't get the running game going here as well and now he has Todd Gurley and the offense takes off. A good running game opens up so much. Look at the Cowboys today, got nothing going in the running game with Elliott out and they are doing nothing offensively. We need a stud running back, for me this is the primary need we have.

If we had a stud running back, we would have so many more possibilities. But no one is respecting our running game...

7 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

McVay and Joe Barry have to be be laughing at Gruden and the rest of this organization right now.  I bet McVay couldn't wait to GTFOH and start carving his path as a HC.  

I don't know about Barry. Manusky is doing worlds better than Barry with the possible exclusion of today.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, that had a lot to do with the FO structure that they had in place.  One of main people involved with that is no longer here and now we are seeing a decline.  It's possible Gruden turns it around and they have another winning season, but probably not.  Gruden is below average to average at best as an NFL head coach.

let me know of a coach who can do this without a playmaker on either side of the ball?  the offense has been a joke since he has gotten here.  Please dont tell me desean jackson or jordan reed.  the defense finally got a gamechanger this year in zach brown. 

Archived