Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

3 hours ago, Predicto said:

Sure would be nice if we could go back and redo the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings today.

She got smeared and shunted aside like she was garbage.

Can't believe it took 16 years to get from there to where we are today.  That moment should have been the beginning of the sea change.

• Thanks 3

Come to think of it, are we really even going through a sea change when it comes to sexual exploitation and misconduct?  I have zero faith in the powerful and wealthy men of this country.  You won't really change a culture of sexual harassment in professional settings without empowering women throughout society.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Said it in the wrong thread (sort of), but a lot of stuff is out there about ESPN. There's no way they don't get caught up in this too

Well, Olbernann abruptly quit yesterday saying he was no longer needed.  Pure speculation and conjecture is he jumped before he was pushed out by his own "me too" scandal  But I wouldnt doubt there was a trail of Olbermann victims at ESPN or NBC.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, grego said:

That story is odd. How does that happen? Am I just not a sadist? 

You eluding to the fact that he locked the door and told her to take off her shirt and she didnt object at all? Cause thats what I got from it. Maybe i missed it. 

52 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Well, Olbernann abruptly quit yesterday saying he was no longer needed.  Pure speculation and conjecture is he jumped before he was pushed out by his own "me too" scandal  But I wouldnt doubt there was a trail of Olbermann victims at ESPN or NBC.

Lol, like willingly taking the plunge headfirst is going to save you, Keith.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, ixcuincle said:

I've never met Matt Lauer in my life.

By all accounts, other than Monday's incident, he is a good man.

He was the staple of NBC News for many years on the morning show. As a man of the media it pains me to see people I grew up idolizing fall like icarus too close to the sun , men like Charlie Rose, men like Matt Lauer, men who grinded hard and made an impression in the world of television media (Rose with his hugely popular Charlie Rose on PBS and then CBS This Morning stint, Lauer with an NBC News run that seemed to last forever, dominating the airwaves of morning news for many years)

By no means am I trying to excuse what these men did. If they abused others in the workplace they deserve to be sacked. But it is just jarring here, as I sit at my computer, and reflect, on what these guys meant to the industry. I'm not saying what they did was right. They shouldn't have harassed others and made them feel uncomfortable.

I'm just thinking about all that time I spent growing up before school, and it's just triggering flashbacks. When I was a lad we used to watch the Today program. Every morning. NBC, Today, first few minutes. I remember when we went to New York City on a field trip. We went to see...the Today studio. We was the people out in the open with the signs behind Studio 1A in Rockefeller City, at least for one day.

Today was a huge ratings juggernaut for many years before GMA and CBS This Morning started to chip into the ratings. You'd never think Lauer would be canned. And it wasn't only for Today too. I grew up watching Matt Lauer on the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. He was a HUGE NBC face. You'd never think you'd see the day, but you also wouldn't imagine any of these other celebrities would be canned too.

It just goes to show you that everyone got these skeletons in they closet, man. Sad. First Charlie, now Matt. Hopefully NBC is able to move on from this and find other talent who can take his place. Can't really think of anyone off the top of my head replacing Matt at NBC.

It sounds like he was an awful guy who pursued and abused coworkers and underlings for years.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grego said:

That story is odd. How does that happen? Am I just not a sadist? 

That story makes absolutely no sense to me.  This doesn't mean I think it didn't happen.  I understand power imbalances can influence decisions, but some of these stories read like these powerful people have mind control super powers.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

That story makes absolutely no sense to me.  I understand power imbalances can influence decisions, but some of these stories read like these powerful people have mind control super powers.   

None of the Harvey Weinstein stories make any sense at all, but they also all seem to be true. The idea of masturbating in front of someone who doesn't want to see it sounds like the least sexy thing in the world to me. Yet, it seemed to be his go-to move.

I thing there are several factors at play here.

1. Men who have this abuser mindset are incredibly good at identifying the women least likely to resist.

2. I think the power dynamics at play here are beyond our individual abilities to remotely understand.

• Like 2

Here’s one thing, not that it makes ANY of this right or ok.

We are programmed to be like this.  Men are programmed to be powerful alpha males.  Our goal in life is to equate enough wealth to support a family and even have some left over to provide for future generations.  We, as men, are programmed to be the strongest, fastest, most masculine people.  Money equals success.  Fitness equals success.  Power over others equals success.

Women are programmed like this.  They are programmed to be largely submissive.  They are programmed to find men in good health and fitness attractive.  They are programmed to find wealth attractive.  They are programmed to find powerful men attractive.  Women want to settle down with men who have money, men who are stable, men who can teach their children how to be powerful alpha males and men who can support and protect them.

So how do you stop this cycle when the exact type of men that society aims to produce is the one who will also sexually harass subservient women looking for men of his type?

also, i especially love the bull**** apologies.

it cracks me up people fall for these.

i'm sure lauer is deeply sorry he cheated on his wife for the better part of two decades, and used his high profile celebrity status to force himself onto women. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

sounds like NBC is a terrible organization.

i'm know they're not the only one. they're just the one we have examples of, currently.

Fox seemed worse, where the contracts actually seemed to allow assault as long as a conviction did not occur. Miramax was worse yet since they actually made money off Weinstein's settlements.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

None of the Harvey Weinstein stories make any sense at all, but they also all seem to be true. The idea of masturbating in front of someone who doesn't want to see it sounds like the least sexy thing in the world to me. Yet, it seemed to be his go-to move.

I thing there are several factors at play here.

1. Men who have this abuser mindset are incredibly good at identifying the women least likely to resist.

2. I think the power dynamics at play here are beyond our individual abilities to remotely understand.

I've held the belief that powerful people are abusive and predatory for as long as I can remember.  I won't bore you with all of those reasons but most recently, I've worked with the poor and witnessed how they are preyed upon simply because they are vulnerable.  It seems as if there is a certain percentage of humans (and not a small one) that will be absolutely awful towards others if they believe themselves free to do so without consequence.  Weinstein thinking he can just do as he pleases doesn't surprise me at all. 

What I struggle to understand is immediate compliance without so much as a threat or the least amount of resistance.  That's the part that makes no sense to me.  Does this inability to resit extend to areas other then sex?  Would they all have, for example, smoked crack if the powerful person simply requested it of them?  And again, my struggling to wrap my head around this does not mean I don't believe every word of it is true.  I believe it and fail to understand how the hell it's possible, all at the same time.  This feels like a privilege problem.  While I can choose to believe, the stories contradict my own experiences. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

Talk about schadenfreude.  I'd love to see Olbermann wrapped up in a scandal, he's such a sanctimonious douche.  He was great on Sportscenter and was fun, but the fun ended when he started getting political (shocker).

Russell Simmons now, too?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/writer-jenny-lumet-russell-simmons-sexually-violated-me-guest-column-1062934

17 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Now here's an intelligent response.

On a related note, I was thinking about starting an "Ask a Perve Thread". Good idea? Bad? How about a "****, Marry, or Kill?" thread. Sounds like a fun game old Matt came up with.

That is an old 4chan/reddit game.   Been around for years.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

What I struggle to understand is immediate compliance without so much as a threat or the least amount of resistance.  That's the part that makes no sense to me.  Does this inability to resit extend to areas other then sex?  Would they all have, for example, smoked crack if the powerful person simply requested it of them?  And again, my struggling to wrap my head around this does not mean I don't believe every word of it is true.  I believe it and fail to understand how the hell it's possible, all at the same time.  This feels like a privilege problem.  While I can choose to believe, the stories contradict my own experiences. 

It's not just power, but also surprise.  A common theme in these stories is how the predator does something aggressive out of the blue, and the victim is stunned and has no time to react or reflect.  They are just thinking "this can't be happening" as it happens.  

Afterwards, they think about what they could have done, what they should have said, but it's far too late.  And that makes them feel guilty about their own actions or lack of actions, and makes them feel like maybe somehow some of it was their own fault, and makes them even less likely to report what happened to anyone.  

Predators understand this reaction.  They rely on it.  

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Predicto said:

That is an old 4chan/reddit game.   Been around for years.

I think it's older than the internet, and I'm pretty sure it's more of a girl's game. A woman colleague asked me to play it with her on a business trip a while back. I had no clue what it was, and she was shocked that I had never heard of it. Also, If you pay attention in "Spider-Man: Homecoming," Liz and some other teenage girls are shown playing it in one of the gym scenes.