Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I do not say that to dismiss that Hip Hop has an issue with misogyny. Just that it has always been known that Hip Hop has an issue with misogyny and mainstream media have never had an issue confronting hip hop about that.

The fact that it's always been known makes it worse, not better.  #metoo isn't just about letting people know, it's about forcing change.  Without the second bit this is all becomes hollow.  We can't have a national discussion about rampant sexual abuse in all the halls of power and media, and somehow gloss over the biggest current genre of music.  Hip Hop needs a house cleaning, just as much as Hollywood does (and everywhere else you find powerful people preying on those they consider disposable)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The fact that it's always been known makes it worse, not better.  #metoo isn't just about letting people know, it's about forcing change.  Without the second bit this is all becomes hollow.  We can't have a national discussion about rampant sexual abuse in all the halls of power and media, and somehow gloss over the biggest current genre of music.  Hip Hop needs a house cleaning, just as much as Hollywood does (and everywhere else you find powerful people preying on those they consider disposable)

I am not saying it makes it better at all.

My point is hip hop misogyny has been constantly beaten and will be constantly beaten. This isn't a new conversation.

You can be shocked that Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer get fired for being monsters because we were told they were good guys. We were never told that with hip hop music. They have always been seen as the bad guys. That is why I said the article isn't interesting.

And hell yeah, THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, needs to be cleaned up so it is fair for women. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am not saying it makes it better at all.

My point is hip hop misogyny has been constantly beaten and will be constantly beaten. This isn't a new conversation.

You can be shocked that Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer get fired for being monsters because we were told they were good guys. We were never told that with hip hop music. They have always been seen as the bad guys. That is why I said the article isn't interesting.

And hell yeah, THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, needs to be cleaned up so it is fair for women. 

You're right, it's not a new conversation.  However, Destino is also right, in a time where these issues are being brought to the forefront, no one is talking about hip hop (I assume because no one wants to be labeled a racist).  I do suppose you are right that part of the salacious-ness of what's going on is that these are people who we thought were good, but you are also right that the music industry needs to be looked at.    

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Unfortunately, because of the pervasiveness of sexual assault and harassment, every girl and women, even if in the back of her mind, every boy and man is suspect until proven otherwise. And even then we are taught, however overtly or subliminally, to distrust our gut feelings, to be nice, to get along, to advance our careers, to hold the family together, because this is the way it is.

Of course this isn't every woman's experience, but it's pervasive enough that it affects the entire society. And just because we don't mention it every time it happens doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

And women alone can't fix this. Don't tolerate it in your homes and workplaces, on the streets. If you hear some man catcalling, go up and shame him, don't just keep on walking. If some guy at work tells size jokes, don't laugh along or walk away, tell him that kind of talk isn't tolerated and to stop it. I

Think and do.

I've been thinking for a while that it is time we revisit Chris Brown.

It is amazing that he didn't become completely toxic to the industry for what he did. And now is openly in collaborations with famous stars like Drake, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I've been thinking for a while that it is time we revisit Chris Brown.

It is amazing that he didn't become completely toxic to the industry for what he did. And now is openly in collaborations with famous stars like Drake, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj.

He's a piece of ****.  

Anyone who supports him by buying his music or streaming his songs is, too.  

Chris-Brown-Beat-Me-Tweets.jpg

How ****ing dumb do you have to be.  

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're right, it's not a new conversation.  However, Destino is also right, in a time where these issues are being brought to the forefront, no one is talking about hip hop (I assume because no one wants to be labeled a racist).  I do suppose you are right that part of the salacious-ness of what's going on is that these are people who we thought were good, but you are also right that the music industry needs to be looked at.    

I don't think it has much to do with racism.

Before anyone cared about sexual violence against women on a mainstream level, hip hop artists were pointed out as those who do it the most. (And some of that is about racism because 80s hair bands were not pro women)

Shoot, last year Afrika Bambataa, arguably the most important person in the hip hop movement was put into exile because of child molestation accusations.

The music industry needs to be purged, not denying that. Hip Hop is a reflection of society. I welcome any outing in the culture but the spotlight has always been on the artists in the movement. It's not new. It's low hanging fruit.

what would be interesting? Let's look at these sport owners. Let's look at these Fortune 500 companies.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Not just he smaller subsidiaries but the major conglomerates who own hem like Universal, Sony, BMG.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Whoa.

Unlike some of the people on this forum, I am multifaceted.

I talk about race a lot on here because most of you don't want to talk about it. Look at yourselves and wonder why you feel uncomfortable, and not why someone sees the racial element in things.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I don't think it has much to do with racism.

Before anyone cared about sexual violence against women on a mainstream level, hip hop artists were pointed out as those who do it the most. (And some of that is about racism because 80s hair bands were not pro women)

Shoot, last year Afrika Bambataa, arguably the most important person in the hip hop movement was put into exile because of child molestation accusations.

The music industry needs to be purged, not denying that. Hip Hop is a reflection of society. I welcome any outing in the culture but the spotlight has always been on the artists in the movement. It's not new. It's low hanging fruit.

what would be interesting? Let's look at these sport owners. Let's look at these Fortune 500 companies.

Perhaps it a "both/and" not a "either/or"? People aren't focused on it intently because it has been talked about for years AND some are afraid it will make them look like racists targeting black artists.

1 minute ago, Zguy28 said:

Perhaps it a "both/and" not a "either/or"? People aren't focused on it intently because it has been talked about for years AND some are afraid it will make them look like racists targeting black artists.

They had no problems targeting black artists in the past and have no problems attacking black anything today, so it isnt racism.

And they just got Russell Simmons out of here. John Conyers too.

The shocking stories are from the "good guys" like Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey, Louis CK, etc. People you like and are horrified by. Not JayZ, DMX, Drake, etc.

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They had no problems targeting black artists in the past and have no problems attacking black anything today, so it isnt racism.

The shocking stories are from the "good guys" like Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer, Kevin Spacey, Louis CK, etc. People you like and are horrified by. Not JayZ, DMX, Drake, etc.

I don't think anyone is "horrified" by them.  I think they'd like to see people who have a platform and have a lot of listeners treat women with more respect.  I don't see an issue there, really.  

Who's "they" that got Russell Simmons and John Conyers "out of here"?  Last I checked, those two have no one to blame but themselves.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think anyone is "horrified" by them.  I think they'd like to see people who have a platform and have a lot of listeners treat women with more respect.  I don't see an issue there, really.  

I never said it was an issue.

My point was to counter that article. Why aren't we talking about hip hop. The attention isn't there because we have always talked about them. We never talked about Harvey Weinstein. Thats the shock. That is what makes Weinstein happen. 

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who's "they" that got Russell Simmons and John Conyers "out of here"?  Last I checked, those two have no one to blame but themselves.

They being the media. Of course they have no one else to blame but themselves.

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yeah, I can see that angle.

Add Warren Moon to the list.

"Soon after she began her employment, Moon demanded Ms. Haskell submit to a variety of unnerving sexual and perverse controlling arrangements, including sleeping in the same bed with him on all business trips, providing him unfettered access to the bathroom every time she showered, wearing skimpy lingerie while in the obligatory single room, obtaining prior approval for her wardrobe, and being subjected to continuous unwanted and unsolicited sexual advances.

Whenever Ms. Haskell expressed reservations about these outrageous “job duties”, Moon insisted this was “just the way it is”, and threatened Ms. Haskell that unless she was “comfortable” with him, he’d “find someone else who was”. Moon insisted these “requirements” were part of the job, and made clear that Ms. Haskell’s employment depended on her acceptance and compliance with Moon’s lascivious behavior, demands and orders."

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I agree with a lot of that. 

I'm wondering though if you see that many white people are afraid to say anything against a POC for fear of being called a racist? 

(I'm totally comfortable talking about race, btw) 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, LadySkinsFan said:

Unfortunately, because of the pervasiveness of sexual assault and harassment, every girl and women, even if in the back of her mind, every boy and man is suspect until proven otherwise. And even then we are taught, however overtly or subliminally, to distrust our gut feelings, to be nice, to get along, to advance our careers, to hold the family together, because this is the way it is.

Of course this isn't every woman's experience, but it's pervasive enough that it affects the entire society. And just because we don't mention it every time it happens doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

And women alone can't fix this. Don't tolerate it in your homes and workplaces, on the streets. If you hear some man catcalling, go up and shame him, don't just keep on walking. If some guy at work tells size jokes, don't laugh along or walk away, tell him that kind of talk isn't tolerated and to stop it. I

Think and do.

Oh please.

The past couple years, this idea of "rape culture" has been exaggerated in my view.

Just because your own personal anecdotes. which lean heavily towards hating all men, that doesn't mean every woman is or should be walking around, going to work, the gym, etc. scared that every man is a potential predator.

I do agree that many men are disrespectful of women, talk to strangers however they like, and sometimes cross the line with the catcalling where it is obnoxious.

However, with all due respect your "call to action" rings hollow because you come off as an extremist. Men being sexually attracted to women and letting it be known is why most of us are breathing and it is a highly evolved biological impulse to do so. Sorry. You can claim men and women are equal all you want, but we are coded to be more direct, sometimes, even aggressive at times. Sometimes it crosses the line, much of the time it doesn't. Well, at least in my arbitrary assessment. Yours are obviously much different.

I'm not delegitimizing sexual assault and harassment but there's a NUMBER of things wrong with society, including all the extremist Post Modern third wave feminists trying to scare young girls and women into thinking all men are secretly the boogeyman.

And really, size jokes?? That's a nice bylaw you created. Many Americans should be shamed for being obese, men and women alike. It should be with tact but family's need to start shaming in as gentle as fashion as possible. It's shameful and we have the education and resources so that people can take it upon themselves to quell the problem, unless that person is disabled.

Now THERE'S a much bigger problem that affects our society.

Edited by MondayNightCowboyKilla89
  • Like 4