Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

I've never met Matt Lauer in my life.

By all accounts, other than Monday's incident, he is a good man.

He was the staple of NBC News for many years on the morning show. As a man of the media it pains me to see people I grew up idolizing fall like icarus too close to the sun , men like Charlie Rose, men like Matt Lauer, men who grinded hard and made an impression in the world of television media (Rose with his hugely popular Charlie Rose on PBS and then CBS This Morning stint, Lauer with an NBC News run that seemed to last forever, dominating the airwaves of morning news for many years)

By no means am I trying to excuse what these men did. If they abused others in the workplace they deserve to be sacked. But it is just jarring here, as I sit at my computer, and reflect, on what these guys meant to the industry. I'm not saying what they did was right. They shouldn't have harassed others and made them feel uncomfortable.

I'm just thinking about all that time I spent growing up before school, and it's just triggering flashbacks. When I was a lad we used to watch the Today program. Every morning. NBC, Today, first few minutes. I remember when we went to New York City on a field trip. We went to see...the Today studio. We was the people out in the open with the signs behind Studio 1A in Rockefeller City, at least for one day.

Today was a huge ratings juggernaut for many years before GMA and CBS This Morning started to chip into the ratings. You'd never think Lauer would be canned. And it wasn't only for Today too. I grew up watching Matt Lauer on the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. He was a HUGE NBC face. You'd never think you'd see the day, but you also wouldn't imagine any of these other celebrities would be canned too.

It just goes to show you that everyone got these skeletons in they closet, man. Sad. First Charlie, now Matt. Hopefully NBC is able to move on from this and find other talent who can take his place. Can't really think of anyone off the top of my head replacing Matt at NBC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I've never met Matt Lauer in my life.

By all accounts, other than Monday's incident, he is a good man.

He was the staple of NBC News for many years on the morning show. As a man of the media it pains me to see people I grew up idolizing fall like icarus too close to the sun , men like Charlie Rose, men like Matt Lauer, men who grinded hard and made an impression in the world of television media (Rose with his hugely popular Charlie Rose on PBS and then CBS This Morning stint, Lauer with an NBC News run that seemed to last forever, dominating the airwaves of morning news for many years)

Well said. I've done a double take a couple of times myself. It makes me sad. I don't know that it takes away from their work, but it does take away from their reputation. Thank goodness Jim Leherer can never be included in this culling (I doubt he did anything of the sort, but you never know. I only got to meet him briefly and he seemed stand up to me)

Feet of clay.

If I'm not mistaken, Today was not in first place during the Bryant Gumbel era, but rather Good Morning America was. Charles Gibson and Joan Lunden were America's sweethearts.

Today was always an institution but it was Katie Couric who made it a ratings juggernaut.

I think the lesson we are learning here is that you cannot presume anything about anyone in showbiz (and tv news is showbiz). Charlie Rose was a million year old guy with a table. Matt Lauer was this asexual thing talking about drop-off lines at elementary schools. Yet, here we are.

• Like 2

Regarding the timing of Lauer's firing, reporters for Variety magazine had been working for months and were about to publish a bombshell story about multiple women claiming sexual misconduct by Lauer, including an NBC staffer who accused him of sexual assault during the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're going with Pete Townshend with your first pick?

Interesting move, but I think he's really a 3rd rounder.  If I'm Mel Kipering this thing, Bill Cosby is without a doubt the first overall pick.  He's the Peyton Manning to Anthony Weiner's Ryan Leaf. 

You cant pick someone who’s been officially outed yet, though.

Id go with someone who has extreme star power but hasn’t been front page news recently.  Jerry Sienfeld.

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're going with Pete Townshend with your first pick?

Interesting move, but I think he's really a 3rd rounder.  If I'm Mel Kipering this thing, Bill Cosby is without a doubt the first overall pick.  He's the Peyton Manning to Anthony Weiner's Ryan Leaf. 

I was asking a question.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Always thought Lauer was a smug douche.  Good riddance.

Agreed. And he wasn't even a good journalist, or even one that seemed to care about his craft. 

He seemed more interested in his celebrity status. 

39 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ryan Seacrest has to be next.

We should have a sex offender draft, like the babe drafts of old.

I'm not even sure what team Seacrest plays for, if you follow me.

As for my pick, I'm going with David Letterman. As much as I loved the guy back in the day, there have been a LOT of

rumors about him. 

Edited by Mournblade