Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah but nothing in that article is surprising

especially mcnabb and his lame ass attempts, sounds exactly like what i imagine he'd say. dweeb

i don't understand how anyone would be surprised by this. pro athletes strike me as the worst when it comes to treating other people like ****, especially treating women this way. 

of course, this is the same society that had to see a video of ray rice actually knocking woman out to be over the top pissed off. simply hearing the report wasn't enough. and many still think he was somehow treated wrongly.

and of course we elected donald trump president.

i guess it's my fault for not lowering the bar further.

Couple of points:

I agree that Mcnabb is kinda shady but I'm willing to let the legal process sort this out before I start trashing guys.  Full disclosure...I think very highly of Marshall Faulk.

Not sure the Ray Rice incident has much traction here.  That's a Domestic Abuse case and a nasty one at that.  In fact, IMO, Domestic Violence is a much bigger deal.  Quite literally, a matter of life and death in a large percentage of cases.  Workplace harassment is a serious issue and gets a lot of ink...sooooo lurid...but it doesn't carry the gravity of domestic violence.

I refuse to lower the bar.  I believe that the vast majority of adults behave appropriately in the vast majority of interactions, the vast majority of the time.  I'm sticking to that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Couple of points:

I agree that Mcnabb is kinda shady but I'm willing to let the legal process sort this out before I start trashing guys.  Full disclosure...I think very highly of Marshall Faulk.

Not sure the Ray Rice incident has much traction here.  That's a Domestic Abuse case and a nasty one at that.  In fact, IMO, Domestic Violence is a much bigger deal.  Quite literally, a matter of life and death in a large percentage of cases.  Workplace harassment is a serious issue and gets a lot of ink...sooooo lurid...but it doesn't carry the gravity of domestic violence.

I refuse to lower the bar.  I believe that the vast majority of adults behave appropriately in the vast majority of interactions, the vast majority of the time.  I'm sticking to that.

I think maybe my comments were misinterpreted

My comment about McNabb was at the lameness of the quotes. I don't think highly of any of them, the reported behavior is basically how I thought they acted.

I only brought up the Ray Rice issue as instance of people thinking highly of athletes when there's very little to actually warrant that. Then, when we find out they're scum bags, they get really upset about how someone their kids look up to (or some crap) has set a bad example. Additionally, they need to actually see something to seem to understand how bad it is. Reading a report about Rice knocking his fiance out wasn't enough - they had to see the video to realize how terrible it was. I was just lumping that into some of the reactions we see. Some people are generally appauled at that article - it's pretty much inline with how I assume things go on in those environments. Not that it's right, just that I don't know why people thought differently. Probably just muddied the waters talking about it.

When I said lowering the bar, I meant on society and what they seem to think about things. 

I believe the same as you about adults, it's what my experience is. Obviously others seem to think we have lots of racism and misogyny on this board regularly, so obviously some of us have different views on what is what.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

I believe the same as you about adults, it's what my experience is. Obviously others seem to think we have lots of racism and misogyny on this board regularly, so obviously some of us have different views on what is what.

I did a quick forum search on the term "motorboat" (a term I never had heard of before unfortunately reading it here) and I was actually surprised there was only like 6 posts that turned up.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I would offer that some might be as much of a misandrist if not more than most here are misogynists. 

Double standards it seems. 

yes, i am well aware of this prior to your stating it--- as i tend to be about what most regs here think and how they would respond

and as i made that post, i knew several predictable names and predictable responses were very likely to follow, and yours was one of them, and so far i'm batting 1000 to date

to select others:

yes, dur, i, and other staff members are quite aware of lsf's posting (as would be the case with other prominent and opinionated regs) and how various posters react...if anyone doesn't like how anything on the board is being handled, we have ways for you to communicate that, of course 

per in-thread posts that read like passive-aggressive "complaints"---it's something several mods spot easily and don't like---to repeat: anyone has gripes about perceived unfairness per board management or any other gripe, state it clearly in appropriate manner and appropriate place or save it

if you're referring to posters and not staff, fine, make that clear too is my suggestion

as to where i stand on matters of the topic or on the whys and hows of various decisions we make as staff, even with all the sharing we do of such matters in various threads, and the work put in to the rules and guidelines, i don't expect all that to be processed with a lot of accuracy by some members no matter how much explaining we do---i have often provided a lot more unpaid effort than required or even merited in most cases, as has tk and others

anyway, it's just another day

back to topic

• Like 1

@tshile

Obviously others seem to think we have lots of racism and misogyn

would you identity who these others are?

i'd like to take issue with them.

now just in case you were thinking of my use of "plenty" in reference to it, i should clarify that even "a little" of such things is "plenty" to me, so that's on me...

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Stop trying to play me @Jumbo ... No way in hell you thought I knew the word "misandrist".  :ols:

i thought you only used it because you knew inside you need me and were missing me

1 minute ago, Kosher Ham said:

I wasn't complaining, just making an observation though. 

i stand by what i typed

especially given how much i hate typing

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

@tshile

would you identity who these others are?

i'd like to take issue with them.

now just in case you were thinking of my use of "plenty" in reference to it, i should clarify that even "a little" of such things is "plenty" to me, so that's on me...

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

All of this doesn't surprise me in the least. The misogyny on this board every ****ing day is proof enough of the pervasive attitude of disrespect toward women. .

You responded directly to that post.

(You can probably guess who I think has the racism bent :) )

And I get why you're referring to my posts they way you are (you're as predictable as you're saying some of the rest of us are), because many of my posts have the tone you're reading in them, but the intention wasn't what you think it was.

People see society in different ways, and we're all pretty confident their view is the correct one.  I've given up on arguing it, especially with the extremists. As long as they're not actually affecting my life, let people live in whatever world view suits them.

Like kosher, I wasn't complaining. Just adding to the conversation. I specifically don't have any complaints about how the mods monitor things. 

I do wish zoony would close the gap between how often he shows up, flips the liberals' table over and storms off. But I value not overdoing it, too.

Edited by tshile

47 minutes ago, tshile said:

(you're as predictable as you're saying some of the rest of us are)

I'd like that to be the case, because it "should" be, but given what people actually post in reply at times--including you---I find it like many other "shoulds."

But this now ends posts about me ^_^ or any further comments on other mods or the board, as all of those per rule belong elsewhere (other than if specifically answering a question asked by that mod) so as not to derail discussion, even when a mod posts on such matters in the thread. 

On 12/12/2017 at 9:27 AM, Jumbo said:

and as i made that post, i knew several predictable names and predictable responses were very likely to follow, and yours was one of them, and so far i'm batting 1000 to date

Back off dude, that's my job not yours

• Haha 1

Yup, from the Star Wars thread... WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW!

On 11/9/2017 at 10:09 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Luke Skywalker: Breathe. Just breathe. Now, reach out. What do you see?
Rey: Light. Darkness. A balance.
Luke Skywalker: Right. So how 'bout you take off that robe and let me motorboat those sweet little space titties?