Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't think this helps anything and I'm kinda curious to see what @LadySkinsFan has to say about it but...it makes for some pretty cool looking street art;

https://pagesix.com/2017/12/20/meryl-streep-targeted-by-she-knew-street-art/

Looked at this link about Streep. 

My thoughts. She says she didn't know directly. I take that to mean that: a) he didn't prey directly on her, 2) no woman said anything to her directly about being abused, and 3) since she doesn't know directly she has plausible deniability. 

I don't like that women are attacking other women. Unless someone knows specifically that someone else knew what was going on and denies that they knew, they shouldn't be attacked because they should have known. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hollywood, a bastion of sexism, drugs, greed, and pretty much every disgusting act of humanity outs itself for one of its disgusting traits, proceeds to lecture rest of country on morality.  How about just telling someone about harvey weinstein or louis ck instead?  I think we would all prefer that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zoony said:

Hollywood, a bastion of sexism, drugs, greed, and pretty much every disgusting act of humanity outs itself for one of its disgusting traits, proceeds to lecture rest of country on morality.  How about just telling someone about harvey weinstein or louis ck instead?  I think we would all prefer that.

My wife watches every single award show on TV.  And she turned off last night almost immediately with similar remarks.

36 minutes ago, zoony said:

Speak for yourself. I was moved by what the women had to say at the golden globes. I didn't take it as a lecture. It sucks that the men hardly said anything about it when they had their time, but something is wrong with a person, if they have a problem with what the women on that show had to say.

It meant a lot to my Wife and many other women carrying those same scars of sexual abuse to see those women speak their truth.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zoony said:

Will do

On another note, glad that you and your wife were able to find some comfort and support from the event

Thanks, and I do see where your coming from. I have no illusion that some of the people on that stage are hypocrites or enablers to some degree when it comes to the actions of people like Weinstein. 

But, that takes a back seat for a moment in the face of women who have spent their childhood and teens being told their abuse didn't happen, or they deserved it, or they're just trying to get some preacher, or coach, or high school football star, or mother's boyfriend, or father in trouble and they just need to shut up about it and apologize to the very same people who took from them in such a horrible way.

For those who have been silenced, to see others speak up and to have the whole show carry the focus of speaking your truth, in however small a way means something. Because for however trite or overly emotional it may seem, it's more then they had a year ago, and it was a hell of a lot more then they had when they were children and had that **** done to them. 

It breaks my heart, but I can see the little girl my wife used to be in her tears. But, I also see a bit more hope and a bit more empowerment, added on to the reality of this uphill struggle we have to make things truly and sustainably better.

• Thanks 3

http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/20807/human-resources-me-too-sexual-harassment-workers-union-labor-ford

As #MeToo testimony shines new light on these industries’ cultures of rampant sexual violence, the complicity of human resources is a thread running throughout several stories of predation and retaliation. While some have presented HR departments as a solution, the above experiences make clear that HR is at best a distraction from the real solution to workplace abuse: collective organizing led by, and accountable to, workers themselves. As unions and worker organizations have long recognized, workplace abuse will not be corrected by benevolent management—it must be defeated by worker power.

• Like 3

Seal thinks Oprah is a hypocrite it seems.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/01/11/seal-calls-out-oprah-winfrey-for-hypocrisy-calls-her-part-problem.html

In a fiery Instagram post Wednesday, Seal republished a pair of photos of Winfrey with disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, including one in which she appears to be kissing the producer’s cheek. Overlayed on the photos, in all-caps, is the text: “When you have been part of the problem for decades, but suddenly they all think you are the solution.”

37 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Well, Oprah tells me that powerful men demanding that people have sex with him if they want a job, is bad, and should be tolerated. 

Seal (and Fox News) attacks her for saying that, by pointing out that she has been to some of the same events as he had. 

Well, he has, in fact, convinced me that one of them is a despicable human being who should not be trusted to hand out advice. 

Edited by Larry

7 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well, Oprah tells me that powerful men demanding that people have sex with him if they want a job, is bad, and should be tolerated. 

Seal (and Fox News) attacks her for saying that, by pointing out that she has been to some of the same events as he had. 

Well, he has, in fact, convinced me that one of them is a despicable human being who should not be trusted to hand out advice. 

I agree with this assessment.  Just because you post a couple pics of Oprah and Weinstein in the same room doesn't mean she knew.  

Maybe Seal should have said something if he heard the rumors all these years, too. 

Actually, I think Beal nailed it.  

My initial reaction to the attack was along the lines of "What kind of person actually goes out and attacks someone for saying ;sexual harassment is bad'?  And does so by using such a stupid, infantile argument as 'Well, you were polite to him, in public, a couple of times', too?  And what could possibly be their motive?"  

Then I saw the URL from the link, and it answered my question.  

Edited by Larry

Just now, Larry said:

My initial reaction to the attack was along the lines of "What kind of person actually goes out and attacks someone for saying ;sexual harassment is bad'?  And does so by using such a stupid, infantile argument as 'Well, you were polite to him, in public, a couple of times', too?"  

Other sources picked it up but it looks like Fox News is the only "reputable" source that posted it.  The rest look more like tabloid/gossip sites.

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

"Did Oprah open up an all girls madrasa? That story coming up next on Fox and Friends. Stay tuned."

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

My initial reaction to the attack was along the lines of "What kind of person actually goes out and attacks someone for saying ;sexual harassment is bad'?  And does so by using such a stupid, infantile argument as 'Well, you were polite to him, in public, a couple of times', too?"  

Get Beck on the phone!

0.jpg

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, Fresh8686 said:

Speak for yourself. I was moved by what the women had to say at the golden globes. I didn't take it as a lecture. It sucks that the men hardly said anything about it when they had their time, but something is wrong with a person, if they have a problem with what the women on that show had to say.

It meant a lot to my Wife and many other women carrying those same scars of sexual abuse to see those women speak their truth.

But how do you know that you're not being manipulated by someone that knew how bad some of these people were and happily looked the other way (or worse)?

I loved what Oprah had to say.  I watched it three times.  Absolutely beautiful words and delivered so well it made me want to stand up and cheer.  It doesn't however, take a good heart to deliver a great speech.  I have no idea what Oprah is like in real life and neither does anyone that doesn't actually know her well enough to see behind the curtains.  All we see are carefully crafted images.  All we hear are carefully selected words.  When professionals are employed to decide what to say based on how it might impact Q rating, there is every reason to doubt. 

For what it's worth, I hope she genuinely believes every word she said. 

• Like 1