Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Is courage the right word?  Courage implies fear and the time for fear has long since passed.  This is something else.  It's a moment where these women can look that monster in the eye, tell him exactly what they think of him, and feel the long overdue satisfaction of seeing him made powerless.  Good for them. 

I think it is the right word.

I'll don't know for sure, and I hope I never get to know for sure, but I think it's a lot harder to get behind the mic and talk about being a victim than it looks.

I definitely weight testifying higher on the scale than victim statements, but I'm not going to take victim statement down very far.

6 hours ago, tshile said:

I think it is the right word.

I'll don't know for sure, and I hope I never get to know for sure, but I think it's a lot harder to get behind the mic and talk about being a victim than it looks.

I definitely weight testifying higher on the scale than victim statements, but I'm not going to take victim statement down very far.

Testifying during a trial and facing cross examination and your own demons while everything hangs in the balance, is a terrifying situation.  Courage fits.  

But what we've seen here is something else and courage, while it might be part of it, fails to capture a crucial element that I think is important.  I think that with men we'd say things like "look who got the last laugh" and celebrate them telling this asshole off.  It's expected that we puff up when we win and glory in the moment.  Is there a word for that?  

With women, they're courageous.  We focus on how frightened they must have been.  I'd rather celebrate that righteous anger and taking the chance to tell this guy off.  Stuff like this from Kyle Stephens:

Stephens told Nassar she's been waiting for this day for years.

"I've been coming for you for a long time. I've told counselors your name so they'd report you, I've reported you to child protective services twice, I gave a testament to get your medical license revoked. You were first arrested on my charges and now as the only non-medical victim to come forward I testified to let the world know you are a repulsive liar."

She continued to say, "perhaps you have figured it out by now... little girls don't stay little forever... they grow into strong women that return to destroy your world." 

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Ive-been-coming-for-you-for-a-long-time--survivor-Kyle-Stephens--led-to-Nassars-first-arrest-469613853.html

You know how many movies I've seen that build to that beautiful moment where the bad guy finally gets his comeuppance without lines that awesome?  Too damn many.  That woman went out hunting her personal monster and actually got him.  Courage isn't the word for that.  It's not about fears, its about being an absolute badass.  Kyle Stephens, monster hunter.  Build a statue.  

The fact that Nassar has had to sit there while they poured out their anger has been one of the few bright parts of this horrible situation.  His complaining about it, made it even better.  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Destino said:

But what we've seen here is something else and courage, while it might be part of it, fails to capture a crucial element that I think is important.  I think that with men we'd say things like "look who got the last laugh" and celebrate them telling this asshole off.  It's expected that we puff up when we win and glory in the moment.  Is there a word for that?  

With women, they're courageous.  We focus on how frightened they must have been.  I'd rather celebrate that righteous anger and taking the chance to tell this guy off.  Stuff like this from Kyle Stephens:

I think you're being:

A - incredibly simple in your definition of courage. You seem to think courage requires that you be scared of the person you're confronting. Other definitions for the word include:

- Strength in the face of pain or grief

the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty,danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

B - Being ridiculous with this assertion that courage in such situations is only applied towards women.

I feel the same way about a man who sits up there and faces a person who killed (or otherwise hurt) their son/daughter/loved one.

I'm not saying your overall point is wrong, I just think you're wrong about the use of the word courage. It can mean more than: aw poor little girl must be frightened, too bad she's not a big bad man who can tell someone off!

Seeing people (not on here) complain that the judge for Nassar was too harsh with her words makes me laugh.  She would not make the top 5 of judges I've seen in sentencing hearings in terms of harshness (which I define as making me blurt out "Oh, ****!").  I've seen judges call people monsters and I've seen one call a person "an unfortunate existence."  It's a sentencing hearing, the person being sentenced has, for the court's purpose, actually done all of the horrible **** that he is standing there getting sentenced for.  And the thing judges hate the most are people that show no contrition for what they did and refuse to accept responsibility.  Nassar did all of those things by attempting to paint himself as the victim.  

Probably my top "oh ****" moment was a federal judge in the Eastern District of VA (in Alexandria) who was sentencing a guy who robbed 4 bank branches.  In federal court, sentences of "life" are pretty rare, but they have specific guidelines in terms of years for each offense.  If you use a gun to commit certain crimes, that adds either 10 or 20 years each (I forget what it is exactly), and when you commit 4 federal crimes and use a gun in all 4, the years stack up quickly.  So this guy got sentenced to like 180 years, all of it mandatory, and he was already 50.

In federal court, the judge is also required, in all cases, to inform you of your right to parole after your mandatory sentence is complete.  

So after the judge sentences the guy and informs him about parole, she asks "do you have any questions?"  The guy was like "Yea, you just sentenced me to 180 years in prison, why are you telling me about parole."  She looks dude right in the eye and said "You don't need to worry about it."

And that is the story of when PB muttered "OH ****!" in a federal courtroom. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Am I the only one who watched the video of that man trying to attack the racist and nearly shed a tear?  After being taken down by the deputies, you see his face.  A helpless face, full of anguish and sorrow.  A man full of pain who is trapped.  It’s like an injured animal who is moments from being put down.

• Like 3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/he-helped-halle-berry-and-taraji-henson-to-stardom-now-9-minority-women-are-accusing-him-of-sexual-harassment/2018/02/02/259e8196-f590-11e7-b34a-b85626af34ef_story.html?utm_term=.4c9c02134f6c

The long-time manager of Halle Berry and Taraji Henson has been accused of furthering the careers of nine minority women in exchange for sexual favors. 

Berry and Henson, his most successful clients, claim he was never inappropriate with them. I’m not going to say they lying but....yeah.

On 2/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I think even I would have gone after him, representing all the parents of the girls he abused. 

I would have.  It would know full well that it's stupid and accomplish nothing, but anger doesn't care about any of that. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 8:21 PM, Springfield said:

Am I the only one who watched the video of that man trying to attack the racist and nearly shed a tear?  After being taken down by the deputies, you see his face.  A helpless face, full of anguish and sorrow.  A man full of pain who is trapped.  It’s like an injured animal who is moments from being put down.

did you mean 'rapist' or 'racist'?

and yes, i felt the same way.