Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I hate this argument! A car was invented to get you to point A and point B. A gun is mean't to kill, when people use it to kill, they're using it correctly. When people say things like that it undermines the entire discussion. 

Also, we are moving towards autonomous cars which will stop before collisions. Can't wait till people are saying they want to have the freedom to crash into whatever they want.

• Haha 1

Just now, Cooked Crack said:

Also, we are moving towards autonomous cars which will stop before collisions. Can't wait till people are saying they want to have the freedom to crash into whatever they want.

So do we ban them when they get hacked and kill people?(btw it already happens)

• Like 1

There is room to agree on some thins and disagree on others.

-Universal background checks

-Close the gun show loophole

-Ban bumpstocks

-Ban magazines over 9 rounds

-Ban modifications to weapons

-Limit number of guns allowed for purchase per week/month/year

HOLY ****, SEAN ****ING HANNITY IS SAYING GUN VIOLENCE IS A NATIONAL EMERGENCY. Never thought I would see the day. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Penis envy is their only real legitimate purpose.

Well, I like shooting an AR15 because it is as close as I will ever get to firing my M16/M4 again. It’s not their only legit purpose. But I would have no problem having to get a special license to own/buy them. 

14 minutes ago, twa said:

Yes, and very popular for varmits....you think they are just used for penis envy?

http://time.com/4390506/gun-control-ar-15-semiautomatic-rifles/

Ya, I'm reading that now.  45 rounds in a minute doesn't sound like "hunting" at all.  Most people I know that swear by these are more concerned with societal collapse or fighting against the government, which if you boil down to it most don't believe is actually going to happen. Penis envy is just icing on the cake.

Edited by Renegade7

7 minutes ago, twa said:

The tool is not the real problem, the fact people WANT to kill large numbers of people IS.

Yeah, I'm gonna side with ol' twa here.  

People like to feed off their emotional state, post snarky things about the NRA, GOP, how pictures of dead bodies need to be shown to everyone, etc.  And as good as it feels to vent and feed into emotions, point fingers and assign blame, it doesn't really address any root causes.

No one really seems to want to talk about why people want to kill large numbers of people, though.  No one wants to talk about how/why, since Columbine, school shootings have occurred at an unprecedented rate.  How did this become a part of our culture?  How'd we get to a point where troubled people feel that this is the only way they can deal with frustrations?  Why are people so angry that they need to shoot up a school or a movie theatre or a nightclub?

Oh, I know.  GOP, NRA.  Your party and organization, not mine.  After all, I'm never part of the problem.

Carry on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, twa said:

Odd that I have shot many of my guns thousands of times w/o killing anything.

No  gun sold w/o serious restriction is sold to the public that is designed specific to killing people.

That you ignore the choice to target people is what undermines discussion imo.

The tool is not the real problem, the fact people WANT to kill large numbers of people IS.

Sorry, I disagree. I'm not saying that you would ever use a gun in an inappropriate way, but the to do so is so easy. Can we make it not so easy.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

People like to feed off their emotional state, post snarky things about the NRA, GOP, how pictures of dead bodies need to be shown to everyone, etc.  And as good as it feels to vent and feed into emotions, point fingers and assign blame, it doesn't really address any root causes.

No one really seems to want to talk about why people want to kill large numbers of people, though.  No one wants to talk about how/why, since Columbine, school shootings have occurred at an unprecedented rate.  How did this become a part of our culture?  How'd we get to a point where troubled people feel that this is the only way they can deal with frustrations?  Why are people so angry that they need to shoot up a school or a movie theatre or a nightclub?

Weird how this doesn't result in constant mass shootings in other countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Simmsy said:

Sorry, I disagree. I'm not saying that you would ever use a gun in an inappropriate way, but the to do so is so easy. Can we make it not so easy.

I suggested ways to make it not so easy.

Unfortunately killing most people is easy if you choose that path.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

Correct.

Some people are so focused on their hatred for all things NRA and GOP,  that your bit of truth, which is central to the whole problem is totally glossed over.

Even suggesting the tool isn’t really at the core of the problem gets them frothing at the mouth. 

15 minutes ago, zoony said:

Ah, I see the media in a rush to publish the shooters name, back story, motive, and social media footprint

Great job as always media, great job!

I noticed that Anderson Cooper stated CNN’s declared policy is to NOT give out a shooter’s name or to show a photograph of him.  From what I’ve seen, they’ve held to that policy tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Can someone explain to me how somebody got into a public school with an AR-15 wearing a gas mask after Newtown happened?  

Florida schools are built differently, most of them do not have interior hallways, the classroom doors as often as not open to the outside under awnings etc. So you can easily get into those schools without passing security.

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Oh, I know.  GOP, NRA.  Your party and organization, not mine.  After all, I'm never part of the problem.

Carry on.

Think about it, though, we have no idea what the motive was for the Vegas murder.  At same time, US has nearly half the worlds guns and leads the world in mass shooting by a country mile.  I think a lot of people want to talk about everything, but each individual idea is shot down for being not enough by itself.  No ****, its like IT Security, like multiple layers of an onion.  You can't and should not rely on any one solution for anything.  You have to expect some to fail and have hope the other layers can deter enough to stop it from being too damn easy.  Right now its too damn easy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

I noticed that Anderson Cooper stated CNN’s declared policy is to NOT give out a shooter’s name or to show a photograph of him.  From what I’ve seen, they’ve held to that policy tonight. 

Yeah, they might not be rushing to be the first to show it but they'll have it splashed all over their website front page sooner or later.  They did it for the Vegas shooter.

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Florida schools are built differently, most of them do not have interior hallways, the classroom doors as often as not open to the outside under awnings etc. So you can easily get into those schools without passing security.

That makes an unfortunate amount of sense.  I read they had two armed police there, too, and this still went down.  Some schools may be easier to secure then others, but Florida probably needs to think about that, some way to keep people from just getting on the grounds like that (like a giant fence or something)

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Think about it, though, we have no idea what the motive was for the Vegas murder.  At same time, US has nearly half the worlds guns and leads the world in mass shooting by a country mile.  I think a lot of people want to talk about everything, but each individual idea is shot down for being not enough by itself.  No ****, its like IT Security, like multiple layers of an onion.  You can't and should not rely on any one solution for anything.  You have to expect some to fail and have hope the other layers can deter enough to stop it from being too damn easy.  Right now its too damn easy.

I'm willing to support universal background checks in exchange for arming select folk in schools and security upgrades....deal?

Let's make it hurt em