Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

9 hours ago, visionary said:

So the intel community can leverage AI, big data, and who knows what else to prevent foreign terrorist attacks but the best we can do for domestic attacks is to hope a concerned friend or relative gets wind of the attack and reports it?

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Magazine capacity would be something to be looked at.   However it takes all of 2-3 seconds for an experienced shooter to eject and slap in a new mag so its not much of a barrier.  For a revolver using a speed loader, its a little more like 4-5. 

Also, its not  hard to homebrew high capacity magazines.  Granted they are somewhat crude and unreliable.  But for someone going on a killing spree, they only need to work once.

It took the Dayton shooter only 30 seconds to shoot scores of people before the “good guys” with guns took him down. In that context 3 or 4 mag changes could save quite a few lives. More importantly, it would increase the space required to carry so many rounds which would increase the chances of detection and decrease the number of rounds that could be carried. Finally, it’s a very unambiguous, no loopholes standard. Either you are in possession of a mag with a capacity greater than the limit or you’re not. I’d also like to see a ban based on rate of fire as opposed to cosmetic features as with the prior ban. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I legit just got this message from my wife 2 minutes ago in gchat.

It's in reference to the Montgomery County fair starting this weekend.

This is the world we are living in folks.

Hola mi vida...i was thinking about the fair, and now im a bit scared going

with the shootings
Edited by purbeast
  • Sad 5

Had a Canadian cousin visit over the weekend and she told me that she couldn't fathom why, after the billionth mass shooting in the US these past 3 years, how Americans could still be clinging to their guns. 

I didn't have an answer.

No other first world country has this mass shooting problem. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

elected gopers don't even argue in good faith anymore on almsot any topic (also true of some people on the internet i'm told)

watching sen. portman do the dance of going right into mental health and a dozen other topics he ties to this  just disgusted me---obviously, almost all the gopers do this as a strategy and it's transparently bad faith bull****) for the most part when it's ones you know are smart enough to know better

i'm a tad riled and will let it show to a point in this :D

he's another goper i've tried to view as "ok" human/legislator wise even if i don't agree with a position he takes, but at this point there may be less than a dozen gopers  in all of congress whose loss i would feel bad about if they were transported to another timeline to be eaten by giant insectoid life forms that evolved as survivors of a nuclear holocaust (i'm working on a script)

the vast herd of malevolent greedy ****heads,  bigots, racists, homophobes, misogynists, and flat-out morons that comprise the bulk of "conservatism" in the usa today regurgitate the same old disingenuous and braindead deflections every time we have one of these killing sprees and many of the goper voters see them as "reasonable points" (perhaps because many of their brains are ****, hence the term **** for brains)

do any of the morons who play the mental health card as an immediate go-to even wonder why that community isn't ever out there screaming "yes yes! put us in coach!, and in fact are routinely telling you "no, that's a very small piece of solving this"? .....of course not, becuase almsot no one's even sincere  when offering that as a "first response solution"....mental health pros know their role to play in this is minimal

it's a joke anyway cuz that community has watched "conservatives" gut every attempt to assist addressing the mental health of a very very sick nation across the board for decades---special shoutout to a great enabler of that anti-mental-health movement, ronnie monkeyboy reagan

yes, gopers, sick as this culture  is,  it's also great (might be partly a human thing, maybe, morons?)  and you can still call it the 'greatest country on earth" if one likes to see any place in a self-affirming emotions-only frame that suggest you have nothing to fix (same was with an individual, family, organization, etc, you drooling meat sacks)...it's a stupid all-emotion and quite posturing thing to say about any hunk of land with any group of people on it, really, at its core...but i digress

but the "mental health" dodge---and that is all it is from the right----is fielded by either willfully stupid people or people unable to reason with sufficient competency

the ways you tackle it are obvious enough, but hardly easy, and they've been stated over and over again, yes without going "too far"  <eyeroll>  and effing up the 2nd you perpetually insecure aggrieved dumbass ignorant right wing morons, but it will remain undoable without  cooperation from the gov't and the electorate because of  the right

hey, just imagine what i'm leaving unsaid :)

(someday i hope this rightside garbage rescinds enough that i can justify hitting the dems/others more like i want to, but you know, priorities)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Maybe some of you continuing to vote GOP despite the party abandoning you to court the lunatic fringe right is a sign of mental illness. 😜

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m sure their was gun violence in Toledo this weekend... maybe thats his point?

You forgot the sarcasm smiley. Or do you truly believe he knows and/or cares where the shootings were? 

He doesn't. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

do any of the morons who play the mental health card as an immediate go-to even wonder why that community isn't ever out there screaming "yes yes! put us in coach!, and in fact are routinely telling you "no, that's a very small piece of solving this"? .....of course not, becuase almsot no one's even sincere  when offering that as a "first response solution"....mental health pros know their role to play in this is minimal

And frankly, we all know what the Right/NRA would do if we were somehow to actually legislate something regarding mental health and guns. 

Pick any of the recent people who the "mental health card" has been played, in response to. 

Pass a law taking away the guns of every person who fits that profile. 

How many people does your profile fit, in addition to that one shooter?  1,000?  10,000?  100,000?

And how many of the politicians issuing the "mental health" deflection do you think will support taking away the guns from 100,000 Republican voters, so they can maybe prevent one mass shooting?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Nothing against our senior citizens, but can we please try a different approach...

oh c'mon dude, you've made it clear you hate us, or at least "boomers"----or at least white ones, but that may be more benning

:D

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Using that logic then EVERY murder could be dismissed as mental illness. "The ______ shooter killed his own wife, does that sound like someone who is mentally stable?"

Hitler would no longer be responsible, by reason of insanity. Not every murderer is insane. Was Al Qaeda insane on 9/11? 

Well, "mental illness" and "insane" arent synonymous either.

I don't think anybody's saying you arent responsible after you commit a heinous crime because you're mentally ill.  

Using the mental illness argument is supposed to be about prevention, not absolving people after the fact.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Trump said Toledo and Biden referenced the shootings as being in Houston and Michigan.

Nothing against our senior citizens, but can we please try a different approach...

I'm going to say this and dont care who it offends: Biden is making black democrats who support him look bad. 

How in the world is he dominating the black vote at this point for any other reason then his relation to Obama and this myth Biden is the only one who can beat Trump?  Biden is slowly flubbing himself out of being a serious candidate if he hasnt already, stop being lazy, there's 19 other candidates. 

You are propping this fool up and he doesnt deserve it.

• Thanks 1

"mental illness" abounds in every major nation/society

so do video games and "violent" social themes/history, though the latter does differ more widely

mass proliferation/easy availability of every type of firearm, inc. high-tech rifles made for killing people specifically and with high efficiency,  isn't in every nation/society

notice a correlation that might be of priority to examine?

duh duh duh duh duh duh 

read what the actual scientific research guys---my people----do say...they sound closer to mainstream "gun control' people than elected gopers senators for sure  but it's not cuz of their political affiliation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I almost think all this emphasis on mental illness will have the opposite of the desired effect.  Folks will be less likely to seek treatment.  Especially if "mental illness" is gonna be a lazy catch-all term.  Who's gonna want to be diagnosed with anything, lest they be labeled a threat risk?  

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Well, "mental illness" and "insane" arent synonymous either.

I don't think anybody's saying you arent responsible after you commit a heinous crime because you're mentally ill.  

Using the mental illness argument is supposed to be about prevention, not absolving people after the fact.

Yet, by your thinking any one could be said to have a mental illness for committing just about any premeditated violent crime. I am not willing to change our justice system to allow for that. El Paso put on hearing protection, he's NOT mentally ill, unless being a MAGAt is a mental illness.

This is what's frustrating about both parties, you always have to pick a side and follow the narrative. We need to admit that mental health is an issue and we need gun reform?

Just banning certain types of guns is not comprehensive reform, its a band aid, comprehensive reform would be gun reform and then focusing on the mental aspect as well.  You can ban whatever you want but people will still get these guns just as they still get their hands on other forms of illegal contraband, what's your plan for that because history tells us once Americans get a taste of something they like they will always find a way to obtain it.

Edited by JSSkinz

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

This is what's frustrating about both parties, you always have to pick a side and follow the narrative. We need to admit that mental health is an issue and we need gun reform?

Just banning certain types of guns is not comprehensive reform, its a band aid, comprehensive reform would be gun reform and then focusing on the mental aspect as well.  You can ban whatever you want but people will still get these guns just as they still get their hands on other types of illegal contraband, what's your plan for that because history tells us once Americans get a taste of something they like they will always find a way to obtain it.

With republicans running around, a band aid is the best we can hope for. The problem is, has been, and always will be ... republicans. There is nothing more grotesque than an American republican.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I mean, how a guy who once had a hit list gets a gun should be near the top of the questions asked.

We live in a country where millions of worthless humans voted for Donald trump to be president on purpose. Hit lists & rape lists are now seen as presidential.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

no, whether you're right or left, if you keep insisting mental health should be held up as a primary part of solving this issue at the same level as enacting and enforcing more control legislation  you're part of the problem---look at the diff when those weapons were banned just in recent history

raising things like people using knives, using explosives, modifying weapons to do what they want regarding of any manufacturing restattons imposed (as you see elected gopers do), are ALL reduced to excuses to do nothing

it simply guarantees continuance of the status quo

it's hard for many folks to really get how much of their thoughts are feelings-based, operating more out of emotion and both willful and unintended ignorance than detached rational analysis and factual data

in this matter, you do what also many others do--you ignore the vast majority of the very experts in the field you're calling upon

you're suggesting some vague never-yet-intelligently-described  mental health based legislation is some big part of solving this, but most of things that can be done there are already in place via just addressing the general population, other than gopers won't fund mental health, period  

there are numerous ways, mostly small, that can be added that would allow that community to help MORE, but they'd be tied to already existing, but hopefully expanded, background checks and working on privacy issues regarding cross referencing with law enforcement better (a two-way issue), but that's all small potatoes in this mess

• Like 3
  • Confused 1