Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

They pin this on mental health and then vote against helping patients with mental health issues.  

The republican party is morally completely bankrupt.  The dems are incompetently working to try and make things better (and are thus deserving of a lot of criticism - for their incompetence), but they are not actively working to make things worse.  I don't see how anyone who votes for the GOP sleeps at night.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bcl05 said:

They pin this on mental health and then vote against helping patients with mental health issues.  

The republican party is morally completely bankrupt.  The dems are incompetently working to try and make things better (and are thus deserving of a lot of criticism - for their incompetence), but they are not actively working to make things worse.  I don't see how anyone who votes for the GOP sleeps at night.  

Probably with a loaded weapon under the pillow.

We have to change society's fetishism about guns.  It is sick.  And it's deeply ingrained among segments of our population. **** the NRA. And Hollywood has a history of glamorizing guns and gun use - in Westerns, action movies, cop shows, etc. The mythology of the taming of the West with Winchester rifles resonates with some.  First person shooter games normalize the notion of shooting at people.

Conservatives have equated gun ownership with "freedom." And the GOP sucks up to that fetish. Congressman Thomas Massie poses with his entire family in front of a Christmas tree, everyone brandishing assault weapons.  Lauren Boebert makes all the waitresses at her restaurant open carry.  Any GOP candidate running for office must have the ad posing with or shooting a gun, no matter how stupid it looks (Exhibit A = Dr. Oz). Bring it down a notch, you pandering ghouls.

How do you change an entire culture that has mythologized and glamorized guns? It's not a short term task.  But I believe that task may be just as important to reducing gun violence as gun laws being proposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

They’re trying to put this on mental health. Disgraceful. 

They don't even bother to try and pretend like they take it seriously or give it thought anymore. Just repeat the same thing while pretending to look slightly concerned and then go jump into a pool full of NRA money.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

• Like 2

I am glad that Beto confronted the idiot governor.  

The stupidity to me is astounding.  More guns means more deaths.  It does not need to come in the form of mass shootings.  You look at Wyoming and you notice that the suicide rate is the highest in the country.

• Like 2

Ah, not jus Facebook, but Instagram as well...

About 30 minutes before the shooting, Ramos made the first of three social media posts. According to the governor, the teenager posted that he was going to shoot his grandmother, then that he had shot the woman.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/texas-primary-school-shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde-salvador-ramos-greg-abbott-facebook-b1002159.html%3famp

..Ramos had hinted on social media that an attack could be coming, according to state Senator Roland Gutierrez, who said he had been briefed by state police. He noted that the gunman "suggested the kids should watch out."

Investigators believe Ramos posted photos on Instagram of two guns he used in the shooting, and they were examining whether he made statements online alluding to the attack in the hours before the assault, a law enforcement official said.

Section 230 is broken, we cannot let social media platforms off the hook for this.  I dare Musk to make a free speech comment about this if it comes up.

I can also see the right setting it up to blame social media, especially since it would fit right in with their "big tech are evil and want to turn you gay" spiel.

Not that social media doesn't have any responsibility at all, but pinning it all on big tech and mental illness allows the right to keep their golden NRA calf shiny and clean by getting people to ignore the larger problem of guns and focus on smaller issues.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spjunkies said:

He forgot to add the "Early Cuyler baby WOOOO!" after his statement.🙄 I'd like to think that Georgia would be embarrassed to have such a moron represent us in the Senate, but after Tя☭mp was elected, I promised myself I'd never again violate the PT Barnum rule when it comes to 'Muricun voters.

23 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Quite well actually. For the gun nuts, nothing else is important. For the culture warriors, the Grand Oligarch’s Party is going to keep the coloreds, women, gays and other degenerates in their place so Jesus will be happy. If a few kids have to die, the fetuses they save will make up for it. Vote for the party of life y'all!!!

• Thumb up 3

41 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

And Hollywood has a history of glamorizing guns and gun use - in Westerns, action movies, cop shows, etc

It’s everywhere man. The idea of “shooting” others is even in kids shows - they don’t look like guns, they don’t call them guns, but the characters are shooting (and even when they’re not, they’re engaging in combat of some sort in some way)

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

They pin this on mental health but do not require evidence of a sound mind to purchase two AR15s.  I’m not entirely anti gun, but I think we can force people to take classes, have a mental health evaluation, and meet with local police before being able to purchase one.  You have to go through more hurdles and investigation to buy a house than a gun.  That’s nuts.  

The Catholic Church demanded more of me, just to agree to the wedding than Texas demands from an 18 year old to get an AR15. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I can also see the right setting it up to blame social media, especially since it would fit right in with their "big tech are evil and want to turn you gay" spiel.

Not that social media doesn't have any responsibility at all, but pinning it all on big tech and mental illness allows the right to keep their golden NRA calf shiny and clean by getting people to ignore the larger problem of guns and focus on smaller issues.

I don't care what you guys say, mental health is part of this and if that's a Republican talking point, well so be it.  That's not to say gun laws need to be stronger, both statements can be true.  But no one can tell me that someone who wants to go shoot up a supermarket or a school doesn't have mental health issues.  Like, you can't look at the proliferation of serial killers throughout the 70s and 80s and say "Yeah, those guys like Gacy and Dahmer are ****ed up" and then say mental health wasn't an issue for Klebold and Harris.  And this dude yesterday.  I don't care who you are and the message you're trying to spread, if you're out with no regard for fellow citizens lives and on a killing rampage, you have mental health issues.  

But while we're pointing fingers here at social media (they bear the brunt of some responsibility here, too), I think real media has something to do with this, too.  Certainly, Fox News but CNN, MSNBC and anyone else who has to jump through their own asshole to plaster photos of the killer all over the news, try to make sense of whatever manifesto he has, whatever...that's a big part of the problem.  IMO, part of this is copycat killing, people that do this want to be known.  The Buffalo shooter sure did, and the mainstream media just had to go ahead and run down his manifesto.  I have to imagine all that does is embolden some other guy somewhere else who has similar feelings, and after he shoots up a black church or a supermarket, he's going to get his manifesto read on air, too.  They want some glory, they want to be on the front page of newspapers and the lead story on the 6 o'clock news.  

And if we don't say their names, if we don't give in to obsessing over their manifestos, they lose that power.  Yeah, we're all naturally curious people and we want to know why these things occur but, IMO, that's selfish.  And that's giving in to what these shooters want, too.  

43 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Has it been said how he got into the building? 

I assume an AR would do serious damage to a locked door fairly quickly if that’s how he did it?

From CBS News:

Authorities said the gunman shot his 66-year-old grandmother in the face before the school shooting. She contacted police and the suspect fled, later crashing his car about a block from the school.

District police officers engaged the gunman when he arrived at the school, but the shooter was able to enter a back door, travel down two short hallways and enter a classroom, which was connected internally to another classroom, Abbott said.

The gunman then barricaded himself in the classroom, Lt. Christopher Olivarez of the Texas Department Public Safety told "CBS Mornings."

"At that point, [he] just started shooting children and teachers that were inside that classroom, having no regard for human life," Olivarez said. "Just a complete tragedy. An evil person going into the school and killing children for no reason whatsoever."

https://apple.news/A7YA9C6ZtTjSVYoHI5634og

First I'd heard of him getting access to the school from a back door.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Man...I mean, social media should not get a pass in the part they play in the radicalization of folks. We already know this was happening with respect to Islamic extremism, we are jus coming around to accepting the part is playing in white nationalism today.

This isn't to defend the rights to pass the buck on gun control, jus...the platforms cannot keep getting this free pass in regards to what pops up on their platforms and not saying anything or telling anyone.

What did Meta know when about this shooter and what did they do about it?  If their excuse is the platform is too big for a quick enough response, I'm sorry, that's not good enough and an unacceptable response. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't care what you guys say, mental health is part of this and if that's a Republican talking point, well so be it.  That's not to say gun laws need to be stronger, both statements can be true.  But no one can tell me that someone who wants to go shoot up a supermarket or a school doesn't have mental health issues.  Like, you can't look at the proliferation of serial killers throughout the 70s and 80s and say "Yeah, those guys like Gacy and Dahmer are ****ed up" and then say mental health wasn't an issue for Klebold and Harris.  And this dude yesterday.  I don't care who you are, the message you're trying to spread, if you're out with no regard for fellow citizens life and on a killing rampage, you have mental health issues.  

You don’t think other countries have mental health issues? This only happens in America. You can probably make a case for anybody that goes out and take someone else’s life that there’s something wrong mentally. You can’t give everybody that cop out.
 All that does is distract from the real issue. We need MUCH tougher gun laws. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Ah, not jus Facebook, but Instagram as well...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/world/texas-primary-school-shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde-salvador-ramos-greg-abbott-facebook-b1002159.html%3famp

Section 230 is broken, we cannot let social media platforms off the hook for this.  I dare Musk to make a free speech comment about this if it comes up.

It seems that at least the messages about him shooting his grand mother were private messages.  Not posts.  He apparently was in contact with some girl in Germany.

• Like 1

Just now, No Nonsense said:

You don’t think other countries have mental health issues? This only happens in America. You can probably make a case for anybody that goes out and take someone else’s life that there’s something wrong mentally. You can’t give everybody that cop out.
 All that does is distract from the real issue. We need MUCH tougher gun laws. 

I'm pretty sure that part you quoted said that there need to be tougher gun laws.  

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't care what you guys say, mental health is part of this and if that's a Republican talking point, well so be it.  That's not to say gun laws need to be stronger, both statements can be true.  But no one can tell me that someone who wants to go shoot up a supermarket or a school doesn't have mental health issues.  Like, you can't look at the proliferation of serial killers throughout the 70s and 80s and say "Yeah, those guys like Gacy and Dahmer are ****ed up" and then say mental health wasn't an issue for Klebold and Harris.  And this dude yesterday.  I don't care who you are and the message you're trying to spread, if you're out with no regard for fellow citizens lives and on a killing rampage, you have mental health issues.  

I think maybe you misunderstood my point, or I wasn't precise enough when posting. Clearly there's a mental health issue here. Not debating that. What I'm saying is that the right coming out and harping on mental health is completely and utterly disingenuous.

They don't give to flying ****s about mental health. In fact, they pretty routinely vote against increased funding for it. They're just using it as a tool to deflect any possible blame that could be targeted towards guns, how easy they are to get, and how our culture glorifies them.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Man...I mean, social media should not get a pass in the part they play in the radicalization of folks. We already know this was happening with respect to Islamic extremism, we are jus coming around to accepting the part is playing in white nationalism today.

This isn't to defend the rights to pass the buck on gun control, jus...the platforms cannot keep getting this free pass in regards to what pops up on their platforms and not saying anything or telling anyone.

What did Meta know when about this shooter and what did they do about it?  If their excuse is the platform is too big for a quick enough response, I'm sorry, that's not good enough.

I don't think social media should get a pass at all. Again, I'm remarking on how desperate the right is to find something, anything, to blame besides guns and how easy they are to get. They don't give a **** about mental health but they do care about social media...or at least they care about it insofar as it helps them rile up their base.

That being said, it sounds like he posted that stuff on social media very shortly before he went on his rampage. They might have been able to do something, but that window sounds like it was very small.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It seems that at least the messages about him shooting his grand mother were private messages.  Not posts.  He apparently was in contact with some girl in Germany.

That really shouldn't abdicate Meta from responsibility either.   Stuff like their child sex trafficking recruitment issues shouldn't be protected under the guise of privacy, and neither should this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/06/facebook-is-a-hub-of-sex-trafficking-recruitment-in-the-us-report-says/%3famp=1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think maybe you misunderstood my point, or I wasn't precise enough when posting. Clearly there's a mental health issue here. Not debating that. What I'm saying is that the right coming out and harping on mental health is completely and utterly disingenuous.

They don't give to flying ****s about mental health. In fact, they pretty routinely vote against increased funding for it. They're just using it as a tool to deflect any possible blame that could be targeted towards guns, how easy they are to get, and how our culture glorifies them.

You're correct.  They don't do anything to help it when given the chance.

Yes, they're all about deflecting blame.  The Republicans take no responsibility for anything in this country.  

• Like 2