Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 months later...

20190525_141621_zpsks0maviy.jpg

20190524_161314_zpsvqzhfm3d.jpg

Meet Cinnamon.  6 year old Dogue de Bordeaux/Labrador mix.  She is so amazingly friendly and obedient, loves people.  Housetrained.  I got lucky.  Got her at the Carson Animal Shelter here in LA.  She loves walks and drools her face off with excitement when we are in the car going somewhere.

Only issue I can see so far is that she does not seem to like small dogs.  When we walk she sees one, focuses super intently on it, hackles raised, then lunges when we get close and barks/snarls.  I'm assuming something from her past or predatory aggression.  We'll work on it, I try to calm her down and give positive praise when she is sitting.  I just bought some dog treats on Amazon for added incentive. 

*update* I've learned that she already knows a lot of commands, "stay" most importantly.  Guess that's the advantage to getting an older dog.  She also likes to try to shake.  She got up on the couch today and I didn't trip.  She waited a couple days to try that haha.  She lays in her dog bed most of the day.  I also like how we will be in the kitchen and she will try to lead me to the front door - like talk me on a walk.  Interestingly enough she doesn't really like going in the back yard, which is unfortunate cuz I have a huge backyard. I also spent like $300 on getting and installing a doggy door, feel like I tore my door up for nothing.  She won't use it (now she does!)  I'm guessing she was an outdoor dog previously and now wants to spend all her time indoors, unless she is getting walked.

What a wonderful dog.  I kinda wish I had a gotten a dog a long time ago, but then I wouldn't have met her.  Oh, she also howls when she hears an ambulance lol.  Learned that today.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it! Give into your anger! With each passing moment, you make yourself more my servant."

Q+RAQASMRguZi5G1QO439w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Cool to come back and see the thread I created still bumping. My three doggies are doing great.  All August birthdays so, my brindle Chihuahua just turned 10, my silver Chihuahua is about to turn 8, and my Maltese is about to turn 5.

I've lost a lot of dogs at the animal hospital I work at. Ones I know extremely well.

Shout out to Nacho.  He was my rock.  It didn't matter how stressful work was, as long as he was there, nothing else mattered. He died last month, I spent his last night next to him the whole time.

IMG_20190713_031609.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Thanks guys, it's been a rough summer.

The doctor who started the practice in the 70s quit and started his own practice. My two best friends quit and went with him. As well as two other good employees.

My boss loves me, but I'm one of 4 people out of 20 that she does love. The others get trampled on, insanely disrespected, and micromanaged to death by her...

It's the reason this devolution is taking place.

My girlfriend was hired as manager above me, we fell for each other quickly - even though I was spiteful in the very beginning.

My boss hates my girlfriend.

I'm going to keep with it though. I'm in a good spot and I love the animals. I get to know them so well, there's about 300 that I can describe in great detail.

I'll refrain 😆

However, the heat index here has been 115. I'm always taking dogs out, and a lot of them I have to be outside with.  Just trying to get through to the fall.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have become very well adept at keeping my kennel quiet. Through talking to the dogs, telling them to hush up, and being meticulous with where they are put.

Quietness is key because the kennel spans and surrounds the treatment area here.  There are dogs right there, staring at the nurses and doctors treating animals. Those dogs need to be naturally quiet.  I only have seven runs, and cages across from them.  It's my "loud room".  Even that area is very close to the treatment area. The door always needs to be closed.

Every so often I come across a dog that I cannot get to shut the f*** up.  I have one right now.

Trazodone saves the day.

Took a while to affect the dog, was worried he'd be one of those infamous legends...

The ones that even trazodone doesn't work on.

If I took 50 mg of trazodone, I would need to go to sleep. Then I would feel hungover the entire next day.  There was a dog here last year that weighed less than half my weight, and we were giving it 300 mg three times a day.  That psycho didn't miss a beat.

• Like 1

You do good work!

Taking Dancer to the vet on Wednesday for checkup, rabies shot, heartworm test, and nail clip. She's allergic to the rabies shot so have to give her Benadryl Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. She usually needs treatment at the vet plus subcutaneous water and staying a couple of hours to make sure she's okay. The treatment is way more expensive than the shot itself.

FB_IMG_1566239246761.jpg

• Like 1

I hold the animals for their treatments if I'm available, or if need be.  Being 200 lbs, in shape and knowing the basics of jiu jitsu helps tremendously.

To counter that gloating I will say that I'm one of the biggest dumbasses here 😄

Granted, most of the people are brilliant at animal medical care 😏

So I guess I'm in the clear...

I swear one of the biggest thrills I have in life is restraining a dog who isn't having it.  The three keys are having body and neck locks where you apply the least amount of restrain as possible in every moment, while always trying to be soothing, but ready to clench up like an anaconda in a split second.

Never let go of the hold.

• Like 1