Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

@LadySkinsFan, you might look into seeing if your vet can give Dancer a titer test - it's a bloodwork test to determine if your dog still has enough antibodies for rabies to not need a booster shot. The downside is it's money lost if he still needs the shot, but more than likely he would pass - the mandatory schedules for dog vaccine boosters is way overdone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

@LadySkinsFan, you might look into seeing if your vet can give Dancer a titer test - it's a bloodwork test to determine if your dog still has enough antibodies for rabies to not need a booster shot. The downside is it's money lost if he still needs the shot, but more than likely he would pass - the mandatory schedules for dog vaccine boosters is way overdone.

I had a titre done on the other vaccines, so familiar with them. I will discuss this, thanks. I am under the impression that it's a law for rabies vaccination. It will be one less thing because they will do blood tests for heartworm. 

Let’s see if this works:

8C4789AD-72BB-49F0-A2AD-B0F915F72933.jpeg

https://www.gogophotocontest.com/lynchburghumanesociety/entries/182807#

Jack and Booger (my name for her, doubt it will stick)

Their stories:  We got Jack when he was ~4 mos old.  He was being keep outside in the woods chained to a tree.  His shelter was a 50 gal water barrel w some straw.  He was so scared of people we had to carry him to the truck and on the ride home he vomited constantly.  He’s 6 now and while he’s the perfect dog, he still shows some of the effects.

Booger is the latest of our annual summer rescue kittens.  Her mom was hit by a car.  We already had a foster cat with a litter of kittens that was found in a box on the side of the road.  None of those kittens survived but Booger and her siblings were placed with the mom. Booger and the mom are the only survivors.  

And yep, if you care to donate, Jack is gonna win this motha.

Edited by stoshuaj
Because I’m clueless
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I had a titre done on the other vaccines, so familiar with them. I will discuss this, thanks. I am under the impression that it's a law for rabies vaccination. It will be one less thing because they will do blood tests for heartworm. 

After research, rabies vaccination is mandatory in Texas. So poor Dancer will undergo a medical treatment for a rabies shot. And it will cost me a lot of bucks. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

After research, rabies vaccination is mandatory in Texas. So poor Dancer will undergo a medical treatment for a rabies shot. And it will cost me a lot of bucks. 

I was in a simllar situation in Florida with my then-15 year old terrier.  The vet was able to write something up that I took to the county and they waived the requirment.  It was basically saying she was old and more vaccines could be dangerous for her and that she had enough previous rabies vaccines to not pose a danger to the community.  Maybe Texas allows something similar?

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was in a simllar situation in Florida with my then-15 year old terrier.  The vet was able to write something up that I took to the county and they waived the requirment.  It was basically saying she was old and more vaccines could be dangerous for her and that she had enough previous rabies vaccines to not pose a danger to the community.  Maybe Texas allows something similar?

Nope, I read the actual law and there's no provision for an out. So I went to the store, got some Benadryl equivalent and a medicine dropper. Only 1 ml tonight and in the morning before we go. Then wait at the vet to see if she has a reaction. She usually reacts within 15 minutes and she can get treated right then. I hope she doesn't have one and is okay. 

Plus it's probably a good thing because we are going camping on a farm toward the end of September. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Her breed (coton de Tulear) is susceptible to different ones. The lepto vaccine is deadly so we avoid even discussion. She also reacts to tick and flea preventatives so I get out the flea comb and I have a really good shampoo that's natural that kills fleas in seconds. We haven't had a tick yet, have to research some before going to the farm. 

We are back from the vet. They gave her an antihistamine shot 15 minutes before the rabies shot. She is fine, no reaction, she ate breakfast, and had some walks. This is the first time at this vet and I really like them. Good experience!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 4

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-excessive-barking-a-chevy-chase-dog-park-divides-the-rich-and-powerful/2019/08/27/0b9fd242-c4e5-11e9-9986-1fb3e4397be4_story.html

‘NO EXCESSIVE BARKING’: A Chevy Chase dog park divides the rich and powerful

Here in this community of the rich and powerful, where the average household income is $460,000, barking is the subject of a ferocious (fur-ocious?) debate — one that has divided the two-legged one-percenters for nearly a year.

The drama began last fall when the village spent $134,000 to turn a muddy triangle of land into a park where pups could run off-leash in a fenced refuge. Chase tennis balls. Sniff one another’s butts.

But after about a month, signs decrying the barking of those dogs began appearing around the park. The village police started receiving almost daily calls about the noise, mostly from one particular neighbor whose house backs up to the park. By spring, the tension had escalated so much that the Chevy Chase Village Board of Managers called a public hearing. Then another in June. And another in July.

At the center of it all is Elissa Leonard, chair of the village board and wife to Jerome H. Powell, who is also a chair — of the Federal Reserve.

Leonard, meanwhile, is on the receiving end of a different siege: from village residents who say their peace and quiet has been disturbed by barking dogs.

“Around dinner time, I’d like to be able to sit on my deck and maybe read a book and chat with a friend or have a glass of wine, and the dogs are barking,” Joanie Edwards, the neighbor who had been calling police, testified at the meeting in May.

“As residents of Chevy Chase, how many times is it acceptable for you to be bothered in your house every day?” Tom Bourke, a real estate developer whose house sits across the street from the park, asked in June. “You’ve created a nuisance.”

The park regulars, he acknowledged, were trying to hush their hounds. He heard that they were ostracizing the yappiest dogs, including, he told the board, “a certain standard poodle whose name should be withheld.”

“But there are people,” chimed in Bourke’s wife, Dale, “and I don’t mean to characterize the District, but I just notice that they have District plates on their cars, and they have very little regard for us or our property . . . there are dogs barking and they’re just not doing anything.”

But on the barking, no conclusion was reached. What was minimal to some was enough for Edwards to call the police, exasperated that she had to turn on music inside her home so she didn’t have to hear the dogs. She doesn’t want to be the bad guy, she said in an interview. But as a retired elementary school teacher, she now spends her days at home painting. She does landscapes from her travels and portraits of people, vibrant creations so popular in her circle that friends and strangers have also commissioned her to paint their most beloved companions: their pets.

PB interlude:  She called the police about dogs barking at a dog park.

The dog lovers are planning to crowd the hearing, have organized a letter-writing campaign and started a Facebook group, Save the Chevy Chase Dog Park, with more than 100 likes.

“What are they going to do next, ban dancing?” asked Pat Murphy, the group’s moderator. Murphy, who lives in a nearby section of Chevy Chase, says he literally does “not have a dog in this fight.” He does not own a dog. He used to take his son’s miniature Australian shepherd to the park, but his son moved away this summer. Now he sometimes walks alone to the park, where every morning, the conversation returns to the handful of complaining neighbors.

PB interlude:  Super solid Footloose reference, Pat.  

“They should be put in jail,” said Doug Gansler, a former Maryland attorney general and an unsuccessful gubernatorial candidate, while his King Charles spaniel, Jack, searched for a new dog to hump.

I’d swear this was an Onion article if I didn’t actually know one of the quoted sources.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:44 AM, LadySkinsFan said:

Most States allow a Medical Exemption for Rabies.  You Vet can send in the paperwork. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Huly said:

Most States allow a Medical Exemption for Rabies.  You Vet can send in the paperwork. 

I know some states do this, unfortunately Texas isn't on the list. At least they are on the 3 year schedule, it wasn't long ago that the schedule was yearly. 

The vet gave her an antihistamine shot prior to the rabies shot and that worked great. Her vet in VA had to treat after the shot because it was the first 3 year vaccine and she hadn't had a reaction to the 1 year vaccine. 

All is good. Dancer is sitting on my lap as usual and is happy!

• Like 4

Labor day weekend coming up, I work today. Going to have to prepare the entire hospital for the huge influx of animals.  Setting up more than a dozen pop ups, thoroughly preparing the logistics of it all.

Then, they all arrive and it's 3 days of around 50 animals in a small building.  At least I will have a teammate with me this weekend.  

This is the grand finale of the summer. It has been rough but not as bad as the past summers.  Easiest one so far, but that's not saying much.

Looking forward to fall and winter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 8:40 AM, Riggo-toni said:

@Huly, sorry you had to say goodbye to July. I lost my favorite dog (Silvio, the bottom pug in my avatar) one year ago yesterday, just a few weeks shy of his 15th birthday. I can't believe it's been a year.

Yeah it destroyed me for awhile.  I am still struggling as I bottle fed him and had him 16 years.  I had to learn a new normal as he was my shadow.  

• Sad 3

Y'all know I have a covered deck that houses Ms. Kitty, she's been here for years. Well, she has also had this skin issue on her back left leg. It doesn't seem to bother her, she lays on it, walks fine, and always with her tail up (the confidence walk, according to Jackson).

I finally got a pic of it, anyone know what it might be? 

20190903_092519.jpg