Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I had four at the same time, Kai, Frankie, Romeo, and Sara. They were a handful! Best of luck! 

Thanks man, she has six animals. Three dogs and three cats.  With my three dogs we'd have nine in a house.  Plus her boxer pit mix sort of attacked my Maltese once.  Just a couple scratches but... Pop-up kennels and baby gates would have to be fully deployed. They are already when my dogs and her animals her around each other.

• Like 1

Separation sounds mandatory in your house. My cats all sat equidistant from each other, at various levels. Three were litter mates and the other from a previous litter. When I got Dancer as a pup, she thought she was a cat. She never really wagged her tail much until we moved to Texas. The cats were long gone by then. She makes cat sounds occasionally, not a purr but I can't describe it. 

55 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Separation sounds mandatory in your house. My cats all sat equidistant from each other, at various levels. Three were litter mates and the other from a previous litter. When I got Dancer as a pup, she thought she was a cat. She never really wagged her tail much until we moved to Texas. The cats were long gone by then. She makes cat sounds occasionally, not a purr but I can't describe it. 

Is it a kind of chirping sound? RG does that, and I had one named Boots (dearly departed) that did it too. 

It's a damn shame that it took TEXAS to make her wag her tail, smh.😂

Edit add: the mayhem ads are the best..."you could be coughing up the cash for this yourself"...true catitude! 

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Is it a kind of chirping sound? RG does that, and I had one named Boots (dearly departed) that did it too. 

It's a damn shame that it took TEXAS to make her wag her tail, smh.😂

Edit add: the mayhem ads are the best..."you could be coughing up the cash for this yourself"...true catitude! 

Yes, sort of chirp. I don't think Dancer knew what her tail was for, wagging!

• Haha 1

Had to have our dog of 15yrs, Capt Perky a schipperkee euthanized this evening. Perky's health has been declining for the past year.  From bad lungs to his hips going out to eye sight and hearing. We did all we could to. He loved us and we loved him.

Most wonderful Animal we have ever owned.  Family is hurting tonight.

We will miss him.

RIP Captain Perky my friend 

• Sad 10

33 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

So sorry for your loss, mark. 

@Bang...I saw TK's Twitter feed :rofl89:

Well then here you go.

More halloween fun with our two critters. Pirates this time.

Taco (the beagle) looks like a maitre-D in a pirate restaurant

Astro (the mutt) always just looks like he's here for the party.

~Bang 

astropirate1.jpg

tacopirate1.jpg

Arrr.. might i show ye to a table, ye scallywags?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sooo I'm curious about something. My bro's gf has these two little dogs, called cavashons ( @LadySkinsFan they kinda resemble your dog a bit).

One of them (the older one, 8 years old she told me) has these weird breathing fits. She says it's nothing, but were it a human I would be eyeing the phone to 911.

It's like its gasping for air, not getting oxygen, and resembles a rhythmic weasing/deep snoring sound, like some kind of respiratory issue, and it's clearly struggling because its knees sort of buckle a but, but magically, it just returns to normal every time and starts running around like nothing happened :blink:.

I know absolutely nothing about dogs on a level like this, but anyone know what this is? I'm in no way imaginable gonna overstep and tell her what to do with her dogs, but I kinda don't wanna see one pass out in front of me, either.

@Mr. Sinister It's called a reverse sneeze. My chihuahua has one of the worst chronic cases anybody has ever seen.  He has them between 5 and 50 times a day.

I have learned to cut off his breathing pattern by covering his nostrils with my index finger. Then I wipe his nose clear of discharge. He will then inhale deeply.  Then he will forward sneeze, or sometimes exhale loudly.  But it will stop eventually by doing that.

A lot of the time you have to repeat the process a few times. It's good to calm the dog with soothing vibes.

There is no surgery for it. Medications include Benadryl and nasal spray.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2

The first time Dancer did this, I freaked out. Then I looked it up on the webs and saw it's not a problem really. She does it maybe six times a year, usually a couple in a row. I comfort her and once she starts breathing normally, she's her happy self again. 

On another note, we went to the dog park yesterday since Spring, she was so excited! Happy days!

• Like 1

@Mr. Sinister I've run it through a multitude of Vets. They all have told me that is not life-threatening.

When the dog is doing that, it is taking breaths. A lot of air is going in and out, even though it looks bad, it is breathing quite well 😆

To add to my advice, when you cut off the nostrils with your fingers, it should be at the top of the inhale. Like when you dive into a pool and hold your breath. Wait til it inhales fully, and at the peak cut off its nostrils completely. Make it hold its breath.  Sometimes the dog will start to breathe through its mouth, and that would be great.  Keep holding the nostrils if it does that.  If the doesn't breathe through its mouth, it goes without saying to only hold for however long you think you won't kill any brain cells. Them nostrils need to be completely covered though.  Once you get savvy, you will learn how to let a little air in here and there.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2