Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Several of my idiot GOP acquaintances are adamant that absentee balloting vs. mail-in voting are not the same thing. Here's an article that explains the differences. In addition, it explains the differences by state. The last paragraph (my highlights) defines the hypocrisy lying by these mother ****ers. My next email is to Senator Spanberger. 

President Donald Trump continues to draw false distinctions between mail-in and absentee ballots, claiming the former are rife with voter fraud while the latter — which he has used as president — require a voter to go through “a very strict process. The equivalent of going to a voting machine, or maybe even sometimes better.”

Voting experts told us the verification process is the same for absentee and mail-in ballots, and many states consider them to be the same thing.

In a radio interview with Michael Savage on June 15, Trump warned that an expansion of mail-in ballots would increase “the chance of theft, where they steal them, they hold up mailmen, they take them out of mailboxes, they print them fraudulently.” Trump said a friend whose son died seven years ago told him that he recently received a ballot in his son’s name. “These mistakes are made by the millions,” Trump said.

In his interview with Savage, Trump said his criticism of mail-in ballots did not extend to “absentee” ballots like the one he has said he cast.

“Absentee is okay,” Trump said in remarks on May 26. “You’re sick. You’re away. As an example, I have to do an absentee because I’m voting in Florida, and I happen to be president. I live in that very beautiful house over there that’s painted white. So that’s okay. And it’s okay for people that are sick and they can’t get up. Something. You know, something.”

Trump’s press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, who has voted by mail in Florida 11 times since 2010, according to the Tampa Bay Times, echoed that line.

“Absentee voting has the word absent in it for a reason. It means you’re absent from the jurisdiction or unable to vote in person,” McEnany wrote in a statement to the Tampa Bay Times. “President Trump is against the Democrat plan to politicize the coronavirus and expand mass mail-in voting without a reason, which has a high propensity for voter fraud. This is a simple distinction that the media fails to grasp.”

More important, Florida doesn’t have absentee voting, per se. For decades, it has had vote-by-mail, which is available to any eligible voter in the state. Florida is one of 34 states (plus Washington, D.C.) that have “no excuse” absentee or mail-in voting, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In other words, voters do not need to attest that they will be out of the voting jurisdiction on election day, or that they cannot get to the polls because of an illness or disability. So there is no special process that “absentee” out-of-town voters go through that other mail-in voters do not.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/trumps-absentee-vs-mail-in-ballot-spin/

Also wanted to add this about "Voter Fraud Commission" the Lying Liar Lying in the White House (thanks Al Franken) appointed to find all that fraud that doesn't exist.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The now-disbanded voting integrity commission launched by the Trump administration uncovered no evidence to support claims of widespread voter fraud, according to an analysis of administration documents released Friday. 

https://apnews.com/f5f6a73b2af546ee97816bb35e82c18d/Report:-Trump-commission-did-not-find-widespread-voter-fraud

Yeah I don’t care about Trumps campaign gaffs or outrageous statements.  The story is what he’s doing to the post office and why.  This makes Trumps past actions look minor imo.  He’s gone from musing about election meddling to enacting a plan.  This represents a major escalation.

This is serious ****.  This is not another scandal like the rest.  

45 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Holy ****. So...they're actually doing this. Like, for real doing this. Absolutely out in the open admitted election meddling using the power of the presidency in order to get Trump reelected. 

Why are you surprised.  Of course, they will do everything they can to stay in power.   They know, they can't win a free and fair election.

Better arm up, because when the GOP steals the election; civil war will begin.

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

It was a nice gesture on Palin's part.  Given her hyper-partisan public persona, it took me by surprise and was a breath of fresh air.

Well, the party has bailed on her for the most part. So I’m not surprised. 

but lol at

a- giving advice to anyone on campaigning

b- making your most favorite part about handshakes and hugs with strangers during covid-19

20 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

This should ring every alarm in Congress and Senate. There should be an emergency session about this. This is nothing to play about. Also those idiots in Senate went to recess until September.

Knowing more about the postal service than any person reasonably should, it’s possible there’s a legitimate explanation for this (and the vice article basically says they have no idea why it’s being done)

Often times government works in a stupid way. It’s possible these are old, inadequate machines being removed and replaced, or being removed from distribution centers they’re not needed. Hell, it’s possible they’re just being relocated for the purpose of better dealing with the election (moved to higher density areas)

but yeah it’s also possible trump’s little crew of misfits is also tampering with the election. 

but that article doesn’t really give much to go on, but it certainly fits neatly into the current situation to generate a **** storm. Which, coincidentally, favors Vice. 

Look, I hate trump and think he’s awful and wouldn’t put it past him. But this vice article reads like click bait. It has stuff like this buried throughout it

The postal workers interviewed by Motherboard understood this, and in some cases even made the argument some DBCS machines might be of better use at other facilities.

Some letter carriers and distribution facility employees told Motherboard election mail is often sorted by hand to ensure it gets handled promptly and properly, but this seems to vary by location.

That being said, this would only be a problem for voters who waited until the last minute to send back their ballots. If mail-in ballots are sent and returned over a period of weeks instead of days, it is unlikely, the postal workers said, to stress the machines even if some are taken away.

In other words, DBCSs have less mail to sort than they ever have before and it’s far from clear how much of that mail is ever coming back. So it stands to reason the USPS might not need as many of them.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be investigated. 

im just saying this article is garbage. In my experience articles written like this (heavy on the implied accusations, light on any actual details, and riddled with “outs” throughout so later they can say “we didn’t report this was nefarious we said it could all be reasonable”) wind up being full of **** in the end. So maybe not go overboard just yet. But yeah investigate. 

stupid side note

But during times of short staffing or low mail volume—both of which have occurred during COVID—DBCSs can be run with one and a half or even just a single worker, albeit less productively.

how the **** do you run a machine with 1 and a half people. 

all signs point to this article being complete garbage. It’s only easy to overlook because trump is that awful. 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

how the **** do you run a machine with 1 and a half people. 

It just means someone doesn't have to be there the entire time. The volume or machine requirements allow them to spend some time there, go leave for another task or piece of equipment and then return. So you need one person focused on it and one to periodically help that person

Here's another article about it. And this is some from the ground about it. This isn't right.

https://www.salon.com/2020/08/12/mail-sorting-equipment-being-removed-from-post-offices-leaving-mail-to-pile-up-union-leader/

Mail sorting equipment is being removed from U.S. Postal Service (USPS) offices amid a slew of operational changes implemented by new Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, according to the head of the Iowa Postal Workers Union.

Numerous reports have detailed how changes made by DeJoy, a top donor to President Donald Trump and the Republican Party, have cut overtime and changed policies, which have slowed down mail delivery across the country. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said last week that DeJoy had "confirmed that contrary to prior denials and statements minimizing these changes, the Postal Service recently instituted operational changes" shortly after he assumed office.

"We believe these changes, made during the middle of a once-in-a-century pandemic, now threaten the timely delivery of mail — including medicines for seniors, paychecks for workers, and absentee ballots for voters — that is essential to millions of Americans," they wrote in a letter to DeJoy, calling the cost-cutting measures "counterproductive and unacceptable."

I mean the bottomline is Trump said mail in vote will be a disaster and rife with fraud, so he is going to try his best to make himself look correct.  Do I hope that this stuff going on is normal procedure and justified and is only getting attention due to the heightened anxiety in an election year? Sure.....but I am not hopeful it is kosher.

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It just means someone doesn't have to be there the entire time. The volume or machine requirements allow them to spend some time there, go leave for another task or piece of equipment and then return. So you need one person focused on it and one to periodically help that person

Ok.  But I liked my interpretation  better :)

I like how Trump is campaigning as if Biden is the incumbent and has been in charge of the keeping the nation safe from the Virus for the last 8 months.  I know we say it all the time about how Trump's strategy seems always to be get ahead of his own flaws by projecting them onto his opponents but seriously.........WTF?!  

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Good god, Pence is such a goober. How did he even become a governor? He has all the charm and sincerity of a piece of fake dog poop.

Also, I love how the crowd seemed completely unsure how to react to him saying "We're not going to let Joe Biden and Kamala Harris cut America's meat". They just sort of stayed silent for a couple seconds then started clapping with trepidation. Like they weren't sure if it was supposed to be a joke and they were supposed to laugh, or...

Did...he mean it to be some sort of innuendo? Did he not realize how awkward it sounded? Did mother approve of that line? Did she insist he say it?

Federal Judge to Trump Campaign on Voter Fraud Claims: Put Up or Shut Up

(CNN) A federal judge in Pennsylvania told the Trump campaign and the Republican Party that they must produce evidence they have of vote-by-mail fraud in the state by Friday.

The judge's order, in a high-profile case about vote-by-mail in the battleground state, essentially forces the Trump campaign to try to back up President Donald Trump's false claims about massive voter fraud in postal voting.

"The Court finds that instances of voter fraud are relevant to the claims and defenses in this case," District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan wrote on Thursday, telling Republicans that they need to provide evidence of fraud to the Democratic Party and the Sierra Club, which are part of the lawsuit.

The Democrats had asked for information and documents that would show steps the Republicans took to study the possibility of fraud, especially related to the use of dropboxes, ballot collection and mailed-in ballots in the primary elections.

The Trump campaign and Republicans had refused to do so. But with Thursday's court order, they must answer questions from the Democratic groups and turn over records of communications -- or say they have none. The Trump campaign has until Friday to respond, the judge said.

The Trump campaign "should not be permitted to raise such spectacular fraud related claims, particular in this national climate," lawyers representing the Democrats wrote.

The Democrats have called the Trump lawsuit an attempt to stoke fears about unproven fraud related to mail-in voting in the battleground state. Trump has repeatedly claimed there is massive voter fraud -- something that CNN's fact-checking team has repeatedly debunked. Legal scholars from both parties, and nonpartisan experts, acknowledge that there is no widespread fraud in US elections.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

The article is suspect, but it's really Trump's comments this morning where he openly admitted to sabotaging USPS to hamper mail-in voting.

im not aware of those comments (I catch up on news mostly at night after the kids go to bed)

but my general stance is he should be investigated for anything you can think of because he’s awful

it was more that article hit on flags for me that normally means it’s garbage

Archived