Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

if the election is cancelled... Trump STILL has to step down on Jan 20 (per the 20th amendment)

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendment/amendment-xx

Section 1

The terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

I believe the House of Representatives would probably have to appoint an interim president

Pelosi becomes president because of line of succession as speaker of the house (#3 after Pres and VP).

Edit: see this convo being added to...

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@mistertim  I edited my above post to include:  I think the other key point is that Trump only made that despicable tweet to distract from the economic reports, which are cataclysmic, and it appears to be working.  

Also, while I very much enjoy reading Greg Sargent and the other Plum Line guy at the Post, his role is very much to point out all of the various reasons Trump is bad.  It's like liberal heroin.

That's true, and I generally treat Plum Line opinion with a grain of salt, but I do read stories they reference (usually also with a grain of salt, depending on the source).

The situation with the post office and potentially politically inspired "delays" that could cause tons of votes to be invalidated is pretty scary though.

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Isn't it a bit more murky though? Members of the House have their terms expire on Jan 3rd, before the EC votes have to be in (Jan 6th) and before POTUS term ends (Jan 20th). So there could potentially be a window where technically none of the House members are "legitimate" if there haven't been elections there either. Then it would go to the Senate.

There's been a couple articles about this, that is a good question.

Keep in mind, It's states like Florida that we expect to have problems, not Cali.  Trump may make hell out of presidential elections, but we really gonna tell everyone to go home or keep folks that elections went fine at minimum?

Is Turtle really going to throw out his own ballots and essentially fire himself to keep Trump in office?  No way, man.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pelosi becomes president because of line of succession as speaker of the house (#3 after Pres and VP).

Barr's Feds Nazi stormtroopers arrive at her door and tell her no can do, sit tight. This Portland stuff has me rethinking a lot of scenarios 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Barr's Feds Nazi stormtroopers arrive at her door and tell her no can do, sit tight. This Portland stuff has me rethinking a lot of scenarios 

Fair, she'd be his boss constitutionally whether he liked it or not with no election.

If her and Biden are smart they have a first 100 hours plan.

This is on premise GOP really wants to keep Trump president at all costs, even themselves.  What makes them think the Gestapo won't come for them if they aren't loyal enough?

That's how authoritarianism really works, they aren't safe just because they wear the same jersey, ask Sessions.

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea.  If you plan to vote by mail, get that **** in early.  I don't live in a Rona hot spot, so I plan to vote in person.  I also live in an area of mostly white people (and military), so I'm not worried about my polling station being closed.  

Yeah same here, though in VA covid cases are starting to go up again (IIRC it's mostly in the southern VA though...thanks, morons). I'm thinking about in-person early voting as a possibility as well.

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah same here, though in VA covid cases are starting to go up again (IIRC it's mostly in the southern VA though...thanks, morons). I'm thinking about in-person early voting as a possibility as well.

i'm grateful to be in wa state for a lot of reasons, and the vote by mail process for all elections being so solid and well-established is one of them, and part of that is ongoing fine-tuning and assessment

but it's been very solid in reliability and operating in bipartisan manner...and you get understandable ballots with full explanations of all measures, propositions, and such well ahead of actual voting dates and lots of clear instructions on what to do (and the envelopes come with bar codes and 'privacy sleeves' to help monitor validity and accuracy)

there are plenty of local drop box options as well as the mail, plus a lot of website and other assistance is easily available if you have questions...no good reason afaik that every state shouldn't operate this way

If Trump tries to steal the election; better prepare for civil war. People won’t stand for it. Fighting will break out and blood will be shed.

Trump will have to hide in his bunker.

He’ll probably call Putin to send in Russian troops. You see Russian troops fighting American troops, to keep Trump in power.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea.  If you plan to vote by mail, get that **** in early.  I don't live in a Rona hot spot, so I plan to vote in person.  I also live in an area of mostly white people (and military), so I'm not worried about my polling station being closed.  

Also if you vote by mail, read the instructions carefully.  Especially if you live in a red state.  There's a higher rejection % with mail in ballots.  

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Man nothing would be greater poetic justice and piss Trump off more than him refusing to step down and thus being replaced by Pelosi. His blood would boil. Part of me hopes that's exactly what happens.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Except Pelosi is out of a job Jan 3 without an election (as are all of the House members).

It's the ranking Senator who assumes the position (and possibly only from the last 2 senate elections - thus giving Dems control over the Senate).  

17 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Except Pelosi is out of a job Jan 3 without an election (as are all of the House members).

It's the ranking Senator who assumes the position (and possibly only from the last 2 senate elections - thus giving Dems control over the Senate).  

I think you right, just read this, it looks like this is based on the constitution not explicitly specifying what to do if no election is held.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/traffic/gas-prices/verify-no-nancy-pelosi-would-not-become-president-if-congress-delays-federal-elections-rumored-social-media/65-e36e4551-fb38-4261-bd70-ef4df2c90911

That's different then if Trump ignores the results or prevents Biden from being sworn in, which is where I believe a lot of Pelosi taking over talk came from. 

It's good none of the GOP accepts no election, we basically wouldn't have a President, VP, House, and theyd lose control of the senate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/what-if-coronavirus-cancels-election-answer-will-make-you-want-ncna1195791

But if Trump doesn't leave because of no election, why would Pelosi? Constitutional interpretation has been a moving target since we got closer to the election, at end of the day, it'll be up to Supreme Court what to do, not journalist trying to reassure us. We lucky military has clarified their focus on the constitution, it doesn't sound like they want to go back to being treated like Vietnam days, that's why DHS is doing the secret police thing instead, and getting called out by military for wearing camos.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Civil War is coming.

We're just waiting for our Crispus Attuucks or Franz Ferdinand moment, not sure what the trigger will be that will shake the average person out of their malaise.

Trump really thinks if he rigs this election, he will go unscathed. He will just get to serve another term?

If he rigs this, he and his entire family will suffer the same fate the French royalty did; in the French Revolution.

Yes, it will be bloody and many lives will be lost. I firmly believe people will not allow him stealing the election to stand.

You know, I always said years ago that the reason we Americans didn't protest injustices like other countries was because "we have to work"...we don't have universal healthcare or any other benefits that would let us take time to do it. 

But now, a whole lot of people do have time. It could be making a difference, but it can't because of the orange fool ****in with the protesters and making **** so much worse. 

JUST GET ME TO NOVEMBER. 🤞👊

Archived