Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

As we saw in the primaries, it takes a while to count mail-in ballots.  Since, we are expecting an increase in mail-in ballots this year; it's only natural that there will be delay in getting all the votes counted.  The one thing that will help against Trump; is if the regular in-person voting that's counted, is showing Biden is winning.  Then when they count the mail-in ballots,it will just make Biden's victory more solidified.

If the in person voting is showing Trump leading and then the mail-in is counted and gives the win to Biden; you know will be suing and challenging the results.  The GOP will side with Trump and send their own slate of electors.  This thing will go to congress.   I personally think Nancy Pelosi or whoever is Speaker of House; will be acting President for a while.  

I am not sure what would happen, but Nancy being president remorarily is not one of the options. If there is no election, her term will have run out before the presidents. There would be 2/3s of the Senate legally elected. In this case it would be a majority Democrat. There are suggestions that the longest tenured Senator would become the president pro tempore who would then be the president based on the succession line. That would be Patrick Leahy. However a majority Dem Senate could potentially elect any sitting Senator including recent presidential candidates Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. I would think this would motivate Republicans to make sure there is an election. 

There are no clear rules in the Constitution dealing with no election. But there are very clear rules on when terms are up. 

Major tech giants like Google, Hulu and Verizon are refusing to run all or part of a new political ad that calls America a “police state” under the Trump administration.

On Monday, Priorities USA Action and Color of Change PAC released a new 30-second digital ad titled “Police State” that features a montage of police officers beating, tear-gassing, tasing and running over people protesting racial inequality. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/police-state-trump-priorities-usa-ad_n_5f2858f5c5b6a34284be21e9?fbclid=IwAR15QPLYPMMkxqY2a87sJMbO0iXs-L51LpR8szNllVwO0dMDQaxVAflH-qI

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I am not sure what would happen, but Nancy being president remorarily is not one of the options. If there is no election, her term will have run out before the presidents. There would be 2/3s of the Senate legally elected. In this case it would be a majority Democrat. There are suggestions that the longest tenured Senator would become the president pro tempore who would then be the president based on the succession line. That would be Patrick Leahy. However a majority Dem Senate could potentially elect any sitting Senator including recent presidential candidates Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. I would think this would motivate Republicans to make sure there is an election. 

There are no clear rules in the Constitution dealing with no election. But there are very clear rules on when terms are up. 

Interesting. Well, my main point is that the election will happen but it will not be settled by Jan. 20 and we will have to have an acting President.

Since the GOP has full control of many states, they may not recognize what the voting says. For example, say Biden wins Florida after mail-in ballots are counted.  So, a Democratic set of electors are sent to the electoral college. DeSantis and the Florida state house/senate reject that. Saw it was fraud and they send a gop slate if electors.  

This has happened before, back in the 1800’s. I think the areas where gop has full control; they will challenge the results, if Biden wins.

I am expecting pure chaos. 2000 will have nothing on 2020.  

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Interesting. Well, my main point is that the election will happen but it will not be settled by Jan. 20 and we will have to have an acting President.

Since the GOP has full control of many states, they may not recognize what the voting says. For example, say Biden wins Florida after mail-in ballots are counted.  So, a Democratic set of electors are sent to the electoral college. DeSantis and the Florida state house/senate reject that. Saw it was fraud and they send a gop slate if electors.  

This has happened before, back in the 1800’s. I think the areas where gop has full control; they will challenge the results, if Biden wins.

I agree with the overall acceptance of the mail in results. Having said that, based on the laws we have - at least current interpretation - the Republicans have a vested interest in having a result. If they say tie it up in litigation then you have to fall back on who is actually elected. That leaves the Senate with a majority democrats. I don't think the Republicans want that. 

My hope is - and it should be more than hope - that the in person votes show Biden with huge leads in te battleground states. That is where are all the attention is going - FL, PA WI, MI. Some traditionally rep states could be interesting like TX, OH and AZ. 

49 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

This Axios interview with Jonathon Swan. Oh my goodness

That is one sick ****er!!  And people believe his garbage!!!  Flat out lies! Distorts facts. Makes stuff up and when caught stands by the lie!!  What a waste of human flesh. At this point he is just destroying our air. 

15 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

There will be no court case. The Constitution sets the date of elections, it's up to the states to decide how they will conduct elections. This stupidity comes from not studying the Constitution. 

The Grand Oligarch's Party will do whatever it wants because as much as they bleat about the Constitution, they know it's garbage. Oligarchs have claimed allegiance and adherence to it since the founding of this country when it favored them, and ignored or circumvented it when it didn't.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It'll be interesting to see how that turns out for them. Part of me wants to believe all hell would break loose, but my money would be on temporary unrest, followed by Marshall law and grudging acceptance. OTOH I never saw the nationwide eruption and the change in sentiments about racism after George Floyd's murder coming so maybe I'm wrong.

The best thing about the Axios interview is that it is going to kill another week that Trump desperately needs to turn the tide against Biden.  All of the independent election pundits (Cook, Crystal Ball, Economist) currently have Biden winning by a significant margin.  Trump has to change the narrative in a big way, and soon.  The Axios interview just reinforces that he is a doddering mess that cannot give America the leadership we desperately need.  There are 91 days until November 3, way less before people can start voting by mail.  

I know it's not logistically possible, at least not this year, but I keep thinking how nice it would be to have election month instead of election day. Imagine having thirty days? In a pandemic year, that would space out the crowds, but in a normal year, it would make sure that people who don't vote because of long lines or because they can't get off work have a chance. I think the way it would work is that you would put a polling station inside police stations, post offices, and maybe libraries. You alert someone at a desk that you are there to vote or they designate an employee to monitor the voting station and when people come they queue up, vote and get out.

I suspect some would argue that reporting would encourage or discourage some from voting, but to that I say, "Who cares?" If your guy is behind and that pushes you to get up and actively vote that's a good thing. If you don't believe in your guy enough to fight the tide of reported "polls" then that's probably not the candidate that should win anyway. Mind you, I'm for maximizing democracy. I'm fine with mail in votes too. I think some day even electronic voting through our phones will be the way to go.

We should never have more people voting for America's Got Talent or American Idol then we do for our Congressmen, Presidents, or Governors.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I know it's not logistically possible, at least not this year, but I keep thinking how nice it would be to have election month instead of election day. Imagine having thirty days? In a pandemic year, that would space out the crowds, but in a normal year, it would make sure that people who don't vote because of long lines or because they can't get off work have a chance. I think the way it would work is that you would put a polling station inside police stations, post offices, and maybe libraries. You alert someone at a desk that you are there to vote or they designate an employee to monitor the voting station and when people come they queue up, vote and get out.

I suspect some would argue that reporting would encourage or discourage some from voting, but to that I say, "Who cares?" If your guy is behind and that pushes you to get up and actively vote that's a good thing. If you don't believe in your guy enough to fight the tide of reported "polls" then that's probably not the candidate that should win anyway. Mind you, I'm for maximizing democracy. I'm fine with mail in votes too. I think some day even electronic voting through our phones will be the way to go.

We should never have more people voting for America's Got Talent or American Idol then we do for our Congressmen, Presidents, or Governors.

Someone beat me to it but going add on - most states now have early voting. i have not voted on election day in a very long time - at least the last 4 elections (one was an absentee vote). In NC for example I was able to vote on a Saturday. Early voting in GA starts OCt 12 - so almost the 30 days you are looking for.  

To your point about spreading it out, there could be more done to encourage taking advantage of early voting. Also they could make it a federal thing. Set up a federal early voting schedule. 

Early voting is awesome though. No lines, at least not when I have gone!!  

1 minute ago, JCB said:

Yeah, goskins, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to early voting. I believe it starts September 4 here in NC.

When I was in Raleigh Durham like I said above I could actually vote on Sat. I did not need to since i worked from home but I did see many people voting on weekends. Little to no lines! 

I highly recommend it. So much less hassle. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Make it a holiday, allow widespread mail in voting, with as many polling places as humanly possible. 

Oregon has specific voting boxes like mail boxes. Oregon has 100% mail voting and early voting. Voters can send by mail or drop the ballot in a voter box. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2020/06/oregons-vote-by-mail-system-gets-more-tv-attention-on-60-minutes.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/oregon-has-used-vote-mail-electing-me-1996-those-who-ncna1195646

Washington Examiner: Carl Bernstein reports White House chatter about throwing 2020 election to House  

>>>

Veteran investigative journalist Carl Bernstein reported that President Trump is exploring various ways to hold onto power.

The Watergate sleuth told CNN host Chris Cuomo on Monday that there is chatter in the White House about gaming the system as Trump's critics raise concerns about voter suppression.

"Because everything is about the base, as he calls it," Bernstein said. "And getting the base to somehow reelect him or get him close enough to reelection that he can then put into authoritarian practice. Some kind of mechanism that will allow him to hold onto power, perhaps throw the election into the House of Representatives, which indeed is being talked about in the White House."<<<<

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@Burgold Most states have early in-person voting.  

https://www.vote.org/early-voting-calendar/

Some of those states have early voting way to early.  45-6 days before the election.  Even 30 days is too much.  There could be a late revelation after people vote.  I think 2 weeks of early voting, starting 2 weeks before the Sunday before the election and ending on the Sunday before the election.

1 minute ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Some of those states have early voting way to early.  45-6 days before the election.  Even 30 days is too much.  There could be a late revelation after people vote.  I think 2 weeks of early voting, starting 2 weeks before the Sunday before the election and ending on the Sunday before the election.

There is literally no revelation that would make me reconsider my vote and we are 90 days out.  

Go ahead, try out some examples.

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Could not disagree more. If something comes out that is enough to change my mind, that person is not getting elected anyway. Are you expecting a major position change with 90 days left. Only small gaffs, minor missteps. And again, if it is something major then my vote will not matter. 

Here is a thought - what about false items coming out just before the election? That happened with Hillary right? As much as she did wrong on her own, had Comey not dropped the additional email bomb with just a few weeks to the election do you really think that those <100,000 votes that made the difference would have gone trumps way? 

The last thing to help me decide is the VP selection. Once that is made, then there is very little outside a felony that would change my mind. 

Archived