Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

after the announcement that UNC is building a new building to house its confederate memorial ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/unc-officials-recommend-dollar53-million-new-building-on-campus-for-silent-sam/ar-BBQqM6Y?OCID=ansmsnnews11

(they say is is because NC law says that they HAVE to... but i imagine that they could meet the letter of the law, whatever it is, in a different way.   I think they should continue to display the statue... in a grove where people are allowed to put their thoughts and appreciate.     Just let it be graffiti-ed to people's hearts' content)

but anyway... i saw THIS... from the commissioning ceremony, when the statute was first erected.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2018/08/22/scholars-explain-the-racist-history-of-uncs-silent-sam-statue/#7b971a9f114f

In 1913, Silent Sam was erected on commencement day. At the unveiling, Confederate veteran and UNC trustee Julian Carr gave a speech praising the Confederate army.   including this excerpt:  

The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo-Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo-Saxon race in the South. When 'the bottom rail was on top' all over the Southern states, and today, as a consequence, the purest strain of the Angl0-Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States -- Praise God.

I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand [on Franklin Street], less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted an maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterward slept with a double-barrel shotgun under my head.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That southern heritage baby

and the dumbasses from Md, Pa, Ohio, NY etc that for some reason have to display their "southern heritage" .... confederate flag = racism and I really wish we all agreed that any time we saw someone with the flag we would laugh and make fun of them openly and loudly. I want to punch them in the face but ill take organized public ridicule.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

after the announcement that UNC is building a new building to house its confederate memorial ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/unc-officials-recommend-dollar53-million-new-building-on-campus-for-silent-sam/ar-BBQqM6Y?OCID=ansmsnnews11

(they say is is because NC law says that they HAVE to... but i imagine that they could meet the letter of the law, whatever it is, in a different way.   I think they should continue to display the statue... in a grove where people are allowed to put their thoughts and appreciate.     Just let it be graffiti-ed to people's hearts' content)

but anyway... i saw THIS... from the commissioning ceremony, when the statute was first erected.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2018/08/22/scholars-explain-the-racist-history-of-uncs-silent-sam-statue/#7b971a9f114f

UNC’s chancellor is a disgrace. Every time she’s been given golden opportunities to lead, she has failed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

UNC’s chancellor is a disgrace. Every time she’s been given golden opportunities to lead, she has failed.

That’s not true. She helped ensure that the school and athletics department received zero consequences for one of the biggest academic fraud scandals in history. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I live two blocks away from Confederate Ave. and it turns my stomach every time I see the signs. Fortunately, those are coming down in a couple of days. I only wish they’d taken my suggestion to preserve the history in the names of these streets and renamed them “Confederate Traitors Ave.” Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to be satisfied by providing more of my own personal lemonade tribute to the fallen whenever I can.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Georgia park featuring Confederate memorial closed down Saturday over safety concerns about protesters

A prominent park in Georgia featuring a controversial memorial of three Confederate leaders was closed Saturday amid safety concerns stemming from protesters potentially demonstrating there.

Counterprotesters had been expected to show up at Stone Mountain Park on Saturday after a group of white nationalists initially expressed a desire to hold a rally there.

The white nationalists were denied a permit to hold a rally on Saturday when they requested it back in November, and they had since called off their plans to carry out the demonstration entirely.

Park officials, however, were still anticipating the counterprotesters to come.

“Out of an abundance of caution, we decided to close the park today,” Stone Mountain Memorial Association spokesman John Bankhead told the Daily News.

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, visionary said:

I wonder how/if this will factor into the upcoming election.

Hoardes of people who insist that:  

1)  This is the flag of the Confederacy.

confederate-flag-1.jpg?itok=fooy_XtF

2)  That the Confederacy was not about slavery.

3)  That Lincoln started the Civil War.

4)  And that the South would have ended slavery on their own, if Lincoln hadn't been so eager for a war.

. . . will loudly announce that someone is trying to alter history.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

In rare move, N. Carolina county removes Confederate statue

A North Carolina county removed a Confederate statue from a historic courthouse early Wednesday, joining the handful of places around the state where such monuments have come down in recent years despite a law protecting them.

Preparations began Tuesday night to carefully dismantle the statue of a soldier outside the historic Chatham County courthouse, where it had stood since 1907, and continued for hours overnight, said county spokeswoman Kara Lusk Dudley. By dawn, even the base was gone.

The removal comes months after Winston-Salem officials removed a Confederate statue from land there that had passed into private hands. Protesters have also torn down two such monuments in recent years, including one at a historic Durham courthouse and another on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

It has been rare for public officials to take down Confederate statues in North Carolina since the enactment of a 2015 state historic monuments law restricting the removal of public monuments.

But county officials argued in court that the monument was private property, owned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and a judge hearing the group's challenge declined to block the removal.

Crews closed two highways that intersect at a traffic circle around the courthouse while they dismantled the statue, which stood about 27-feet (8-meters) high outside the courthouse's front doors.

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...