Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that's a good essay.

The anxiety of the “alt-right” over LARPing has a precedent and parallel in the wider right-wing obsession with “stolen valor,” which is ostensibly motivated by a concern with appropriately honoring the agents of the police state (any distinction between the military and law enforcement having become marginal to the point of irrelevance) but which is equally motivated by the need to guard who has access to political violence. Right-wing militias like the Oath Keepers, open only to veterans of military service or former law enforcement officers, strive to attain that access by aligning themselves with the state, positioning themselves as guardians of law and order while pursuing extralegal political violence: working alongside local police departments to suppress left-wing dissidents at demonstrations, as private security for GOP officials, or in conjunction with Customs and Border Protection officials, themselves agents of gratuitous cruelty, to detain migrants and refugees crossing the border with Mexico.

When militia members, Proud Boys, or crypto-fascists self-deputize, however, they reveal something deeper about the nature of political violence: After decades of neoliberal austerity, the state, having privatized everything else, now puts violence on the market as well. “States, governing at a distance, no longer have a monopoly on force; that, too, has been outsourced,” Liz Fekete writes in Europe’s Fault Lines: Racism and the Rise of the Right, creating a situation in which those same states find themselves “attempting to resolve the crisis in their legitimacy by reaching towards new models of authoritarianism.” Thus private prisons and detention centers, armed teachers and mercenary armies.

:kickcan:

I’ve been saying it, and I will say it again, a war is coming. The media won’t cover it as a civil war but it’s going to happen soon. The only way to get rid of the nationalists and fascists may be through conflict. That’s what they want.

The problem is our government is now ran by open fascists (Trump), fascist symphathizers (most of the GOP), and cowards (rest of the GOP).

That is their ultimate aim, and it’s time for the privileged people in our society to start call them out just as loudly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I’ve been saying it, and I will say it again, a war is coming. The media won’t cover it as a civil war but it’s going to happen soon.

Sadly, I would not be at all surprised.  

When I transferred up to VA, my wife and I actually had a conversation about what we would do if people in our country went seriously off the rails.  Not a conversation I wanted to have.

• Like 1

The right wing media and a good chunk of the Republican party has actively encouraged the growth of militias that are by all evidence, chalk full of paranoid morons with deeply anti-government and anti-liberal views.

These people are literally a powder keg waiting to explode at any point. I suspect that the next time liberals come into power, I would not be surprised if we start seeing a serious surge in militia related violence.

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Shes going to be a pre-k teacher in about 6 months 

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The right wing media and a good chunk of the Republican party has actively encouraged the growth of militias that are by all evidence, chalk full of paranoid morons with deeply anti-government and anti-liberal views.

These people are literally a powder keg waiting to explode at any point. I suspect that the next time liberals come into power, I would not be surprised if we start seeing a serious surge in militia related violence.

Liberals need to get that tolerant stick out of their collective asses and start punishing these fools into no existence. What we need is come good old fashioned GOP style discrimination towards anyone who seems discriminatory. Playing by the rules aint working and playing nice got us here. 

Some snippets from the article Vis posted above

“If order and authority are to be maintained in the face of the erosion of the social safety net—and without even the dream of social mobility to mitigate the hardships—then the state must become more coercive, the exercise of state power more brutal.”

In Everything You Love Will Burn, journalist Vegas Tenold reveals that Heimbach was trained at the Leadership Institute, a think tank in Washington, DC, whose alumni include Mitch McConnell, Grover Norquist, and James O’Keefe; that Heimbach is hugely influenced by Pat Buchanan; and that, on Inauguration Day, Heimbach was introduced to a room full of GOP strategists and state legislators at the Capitol Hill Club, directly across from the Capitol building. “A few years ago the GOP wouldn’t be able to even sit in the same room as you, but things have changed, and now we need each other,” Heimbach’s Republican contact told him, as quoted by Tenold. “This is a big day.”

Successful fascist movements have historically taken power not in coups d’état, but in coalitions—namely, historian Robert Paxton has shown, in coalition with weakening center-right liberals and conservatives seeking allies against a rising left. This way lies power for the American fascist, though without an organized street movement behind him he is little more than a particularly ambitious racist.

“I’ve been around for a long time,” Bob Day, the Solidarity and Defense organizer from Detroit, told me. “The election of Trump and the blatant expression of white supremacy, hatred of women, and anti-immigrant bigotry—I mean hell, I lived through Nixon and George Wallace and Reagan, and this is different. He’s speaking to a base. There’s a real base for fascism in this country. So we got our work cut out for us.”

But...

The paradox of the neoliberal dynamic, whereby the state abdicates its authority, opening up space for corporations and fascists to move with impunity, is that it also offers working people the chance to realize the power they hold to shape their own worlds.

“What people are seeing is that trying to wait on Democrats or union bureaucrats is a losing proposition,” Day told me. “Whatever’s gonna get done we’re gonna have to do it ourselves, we’re gonna have to rely on ourselves, so in these fights like in West Virginia, or against the fascists, or against ICE, or against police violence, it’s coming from the bottom. That’s where the fight’s gonna come from. If we can do something to fight this system, it’s gonna be ordinary people getting together to do it. And it’s gonna be ordinary people that’s gonna have an alternative.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

History repeats itself.

As i've been saying.

Ready?

The first step is to accept what is happening.
BRS is on point.

And also as i have been saying.. history happens the way it has because good people have a hard time accepting what is actually going on until too late. They expect that reason will prevail. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who only listen to reason after they have been shown enough of their own blood.

Given the ease the propaganda has in generating pure hate towards political enemies (re: anyone not as angry as them), seeing the logical path is not too hard to accept. 

When does hate that is as strong as it is being grown ever just dissipate? 

~Bang