Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

4 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Not to freak anyone out with this post. I am cautious about Pryor for these reasons. And don't mind throwing out a take on someone everyone can get late in drafts who was extremely similar but costs so much less. In real life I do hope that Pryor lives up to expectations. I just don't know yet why the Browns choose Britt over him

Pryor thought he was going to get elite WR money this year on a long term deal somewhere. No-one (including the Browns or us) was prepared to give him that. If Pryor would have signed the deal Britt got the Browns would have taken him in a heart beat.

When it became apparent that no one was paying him big long term off one year he opted to sign here rather than with the Browns on a one year prove it deal. Reason - he's getting much better QB play here and a very WR friendly scheme. He wants to put up big numbers to get that big deal next season. Let's hope he gets those numbers and we are the team rewarding him.

Hes HIGHLY motivated. I think he explodes this year in our system.

4 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

The run blocking is broken, they don't even to run on short yardage or close to end zone.  

Hardly anyone in the NFL does. Drives me nuts when teams come out in spread formations on 1st and goal or on 3rd and short.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Doctson can be a better version of Allen Robinson if he stays healthy. 

Hmmm...this one doesn't feel right to me. Robinson is more of a YAC threat than Doctson, while Doctson has the advantage in plucking the ball at the highest point. Doctson is also built thinner than Robinson. 

I think Doctson is closer to Hopkins, if I had to pick a skill-set that matches. Doctson is a better athlete but I think they have similar strengths and Doctson projects to be used similarly. 

Really he's a poor man's AJ Green--shorter, slower, not as talented as far as we know right now...but similar strengths/weaknesses and builds. 

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Just read the practice reports for today. Sounds like Norman was roasted by everybody he lined up against. Rough day for ole 24. 

Earn that paycheck JNo. 

Earn your paycheck in the regular season. He's not going to be lined up 1-1 against a receiver and a QB under no duress for most of the year. 

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Earn your paycheck in the regular season. He's not going to be lined up 1-1 against a receiver and a QB under no duress for most of the year. 

Heck he basically was doing that last year in the regular season, except for those times he was supposed to have cover behind him so he released the reciever only to turn around and see Donte Whitner wandering around confused as the reciever would  score a touchdown. Man I think the safest bet in the world is that our defense will be better than last year. 

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Doctson still shining...

"Best play of the day: Receiver Josh Doctson fooled corner Josh Norman to break wide open for a long touchdown catch. But that wasn't as impressive as Doctson's one-handed grab over corner Dashaun Phillips in a one-on-one drill. Doctson jumped and reached back over Phillips and caught the pass with his right hand." - Keim

Phillips is not an NFL cornerback, but Doctson is going to be really good.

30 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Heck he basically was doing that last year in the regular season, except for those times he was supposed to have cover behind him so he released the reciever only to turn around and see Donte Whitner wandering around confused as the reciever would  score a touchdown. Man I think the safest bet in the world is that our defense will be better than last year. 

Considering how poor our pass rush was and our safeties were, I think Norman had a pretty phenomenal year for those circumstances. I think how Breeland played and looked would have been the norm for just about most of the corners in the NFL. I expect a huge bounce back from him with a more effective front 7.

6 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Just read the practice reports for today. Sounds like Norman was roasted by everybody he lined up against. Rough day for ole 24. 

Earn that paycheck JNo. 

This is a bit of an over-reaction to some 1 on 1 match-ups in TC where the QB has no pressure. We went through this last year in TC. He got burned by Garcon ad few times and people were all over the place about he is over-rated and going to suck as a Redskin. He was easily the best defensive player last year. Granted that's not really saying a lot in terms of the D but Norman did his job and then some. Let's see how the regular season goes before throwing him under a bus.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Considering how poor our pass rush was and our safeties were, I think Norman had a pretty phenomenal year for those circumstances. I think how Breeland played and looked would have been the norm for just about most of the corners in the NFL. I expect a huge bounce back from him with a more effective front 7.

Pass rush was better than people realize. Stopping the run was the Achilles heel. When you give up 5 yds a carry on 1st down you put an awful lot of pressure on your entire D. There were very few times the D could pin their ears back. Now I will agree they could be more situationally better. We all know the woes on 3rd down. But that honestly goes back to poor run D. Even on 3rd a long, run was an option.

But your point about Norman is spot on. He did a great job considering the lack of help around him. The S play was atrocious. More than one it appeared Norman was beat when in fact he was supposed to have help. When you play within th system and someone does not do their job, it can make the wrong person look bad.

I look for the D to take a nice step forward - better than average, but probably just barely. If the offense can just not backslide, this team will be in most every game. Also need Hopkins to regain he 2015 form.

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Norman did a good job, despite our defense.

Breeland was awful, because of our defense.

I love the mental gymnastics that are done to support our guys.

I'd say Norman was good

Breeland sucked

It was because Norman is a good corner and Breeland is not a good corner.

Our defense did nobody any benefits, but not being able to cover up the weaknesses of how bad all of our corners were except one, doesn't make those corners any better. 

I think Breeland gets a bit of a bad rap last year.

He started off ugly, getting schooled by Antonio and then Dez for a half, but then had a strong rest of the year.  I would be interested to see CB grades by game / quarter of the year to verify.  Playing opposite Norman a top corner also puts a lot of pressure on him, especially if the DC ignores matchups and just sticks him out at right.  One of the TD's he gave up to Brown, I think he was supposed to have help over the top. I seem to remember Hall desperately trying to get back after biting PA on 4th and 1. That was also a helluva play call throw and catch. Brown schools almost everyone.

I think Fuller had a worse overall year than Breeland.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I think Breeland gets a bit of a bad rap last year.

He gets a bad rap, because he sucked last year.

He whined when we signed Norman, because he thought he should be the #1.

Then he got destroyed as the #2

Then we had to change our defense around, because teams were picking on him.

Then he whined about that.

Then he was benched

aaaand whined about that.

Then he got a little better in the slot, then was forced back outside because Dunbar, Phillips, whoever else all really sucked much worse than Breeland, sockingly.

Then, he whined all offseason.

Breeland deserves his bad rap. THere's a reason we drafted 2 CBs this year and 1 last year.

"Hopkins had a bit of a tough day, though. He went 4-7 on field goals, making all three attempts from 44 yards out and one 50-yarder, but missing three times from 48 yards out. Two of Hopkins’ misses went off the left post and the third went wide right by a large margin."  NOT music to my ears.  Maybe we should bring in someone to compete against him.  He has to step it up.  It matters, very much. Hail

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He gets a bad rap, because he sucked last year.

Unfollow.... As i suspect, some fans don't like some of the off the field stuff and suspect it is helping shape their views.

So you are basically saying he is likely to be unseated and maybe even implying he is a cut candidate. One of the players we drafted should be able to unseat him.

I think we drafted a lot of DBs because teams need lots of DBs. Fuller is not above camp competition after a shaky year.  What else do we have behind him, a former WR who had a rough year and....

I'll wager Bree is starting at right corner for game 1.  Breeland did post great slot numbers last year. Slot corner is rapidly becoming very close to a starting position.

26 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

"Hopkins had a bit of a tough day, though. He went 4-7 on field goals, making all three attempts from 44 yards out and one 50-yarder, but missing three times from 48 yards out. Two of Hopkins’ misses went off the left post and the third went wide right by a large margin."  NOT music to my ears.  Maybe we should bring in someone to compete against him.  He has to step it up.  It matters, very much. Hail

We can't have Hopkins be unreliable on clutch kicks again if we are going to make the playoffs.  Last season, at one point I was even holding my breath on extra points.  I get kickers can slump but I don't think we can endure another year of it.  Hopkins missed kicks I think is downplayed in the sea of what went down last year but he was a key part of the Dallas, Detroit losses and the Cincy tie. We were lucky in the close game against Baltimore that his extra point miss didn't cost us.

On a good note, looks like Doctson and Fuller are fully healthy and thriving so far.  Ioannidis has beefed up and likely in in rotation at D line -- Cooley in his film study liked him in his short stints of playing time.   Will see if this plays out during the season but if it does the 2016 draft class has the feel of the 2014 one.  The 2014 class got off to a slow start, too but a year after that started to look good.  

If Doctson keeps practicing like a stud, I wonder if they rethink the idea of moving Crowder to the outside on 2 receiver sets.  I'd assume on 2 receiver sets they are more inclined to run.  Doctson I'd presume being the bigger guy is a more forceful blocker than Crowder.  Though I know Crowder blocks well for his size.  I presume that's why Grant seems to be in the mix, too -- good blocker. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Unfollow.... As i suspect, some fans don't like some of the off the field stuff and suspect it is helping shape their views.

So you are basically saying he is likely to be unseated and maybe even implying he is a cut candidate. One of the players we drafted should be able to unseat him.

I think we drafted a lot of DBs because teams need lots of DBs. Fuller is not above camp competition after a shaky year.  What else do we have behind him, a former WR who had a rough year and....

I'll wager Bree is starting at right corner for game 1.  Breeland did post great slot numbers last year. Slot corner is rapidly becoming very close to a starting position.

I think the #2 job is an open competition for Fuller (who is looking great and we brought in his old coach) and Breeland. I don't know who wins the job.

Holsey is a pure slot corner and he is looking good. Granted, it's early.

I don't think anyone has a clear shot at any job right now. It's Brees last year here, regardless of what he does and his replacement is on the roster, so I don't really care as long as someone does the job well.

and yeah, it's hard to cheer for a whiney ****.

"Backup left guard Arie Kouandjio was struggling in his one-on-one matchups, and time could be ticking for the Alabama grad to make an impact and secure a future in the league. In one drill, Kouandjio was pushed to the ground by Matt Loannidis."  Arie has to pick it up or he will not be here.  Also, Hosley is a pure slot corner, which is now a VERY important position.  I think he has a good shot at the roster especially if he can play some S-teams.  Nate has not looked good so far. Sudfeld has to start picking it up soon, like really soon.  If not he may be gone.  We actually seem to have depth now and need to be strong in every area.  If (just a for instance) Robert Davis, receiving skills aside, is a S-teams demon (he actually like to play special teams-imagine that), who would you choose?  It's an easy choice for me, but we will see how it plays out. Nate has to improve, period.  Hail

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Maybe Suds just isn't a practice warrior.  Kinda like McNugget. :ols:

Anyway, how about people cut Nate a little slack?  The guy was a sixth round QB and everyone acts all disappointed because he's playing like a 6th round QB.   

People didn't really think he would ever be more than a 3rd string/practice team guy did they?  If so, why?

12 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Hmmm...this one doesn't feel right to me. Robinson is more of a YAC threat than Doctson, while Doctson has the advantage in plucking the ball at the highest point. Doctson is also built thinner than Robinson. 

I think Doctson is closer to Hopkins, if I had to pick a skill-set that matches. Doctson is a better athlete but I think they have similar strengths and Doctson projects to be used similarly. 

Really he's a poor man's AJ Green--shorter, slower, not as talented as far as we know right now...but similar strengths/weaknesses and builds. 

Not too sure about that. Doctson is 6'2" 206 pounds.  Robinson is 6'3" 211 pounds. Not much of a difference in weight when height is taken into account. 

Also not sure what makes you think Allen Robinson is such a better YAC threat than Doctson. That's really not where Robinson excels: in 2016, he ranked #16 in Air Yards, but #65 in YAC. In 2015, he ranked #5 in Air Yards, but #25 in YAC. Robinson is a "go up and get it" type of receiver, and is amazing at winning the 50-50 balls, similar to Doctson. 

Their combine stats are eerily similar, though Doctson is slightly more athletic in nearly every category. And their play styles are very similar as well. 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the #2 job is an open competition for Fuller (who is looking great and we brought in his old coach) and Breeland. I don't know who wins the job.

Holsey is a pure slot corner and he is looking good. Granted, it's early.

I don't think anyone has a clear shot at any job right now. It's Brees last year here, regardless of what he does and his replacement is on the roster, so I don't really care as long as someone does the job well.

and yeah, it's hard to cheer for a whiney ****.

You're way too harsh. Bree is still a young guy who definitely had an up and down (mostly down) year and a lot of that had to do with a clear disconnect between Breeland and Fewell. Bree has the talent to turn it around this year, and you'll probably be singing his praises. Calling one of our guys who goes to battle every practice and every single Sunday a "whiney ****" is so dumb. The worst type of fan, imo. 

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

Redskins running back Keith Marshall tore his right patella tendon and will miss the season, per source. Marshall hurt his knee in practice Saturday. He missed last season with an elbow injury.

.... Damn...I feel bad for the guy

Archived