Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

"Two players who stood out Wednesday: receivers Terrelle Pryor and Josh Doctson. Pryor consistently created separation on comebacks by getting out of his break quickly. Doctson got off the line well, ran good routes -- with good stems -- to get free. A strong first day for both."  John Keim.  Music to my ears.  Hopefully the D can improve as well.  Heard good things today.  Swearinger sharp. Fuller making plays..I'm excited this year much more than the "usual".  I don't know how it will all fall into place, but I like the pieces we have assembled.  Evidently the last person of the field, still running was Junior Galette.  Nice.  Maybe we can make some real noise this year. Hail

I wonder if its possible that Chase beats out Long at C, and Long slides back to guard.

Overall I am happy with Long, but think we need to improve our run blocking.  Trent Brandon and Moses are what they are. Either new need personnel, or new techniques / play calls. Or back ha.

Are we still mostly zone blocking, or are we more power now? I remember Jay inheriting Mikes line saying he wants power but if it aint broke don't fix it.

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I wonder if its possible that Chase beats out Long at C, and Long slides back to guard.

Overall I am happy with Long, but think we need to improve our run blocking.  Trent Brandon and Moses are what they are. Either new need personnel, or new techniques / play calls. Or back ha.

Are we still mostly zone blocking, or are we more power now? I remember Jay inheriting Mikes line saying he wants power but if it aint broke don't fix it.

If Chase is good enough to unseat Long at C (extremely unlikely) then we will have gotten the steal of the draft. 

45 minutes ago, arftech said:

Why is this an ideal situation?  If Pryor explodes as you said I want him long term.   You can't necessarily count on Reed.

Hail Em Up!

If Doctson performs well, no reason to keep both. JUST finances, especially when you have franchise QB.

I love that a cowboys fan got kicked out of redskins training camp today ??? 

wonder what goes through ones mind when one thinks "hmm....I'll go to a rivals training camp practice". Like...you're a cowboys fan....if you want to come to the good side, fine, but at least get a redskins Jersey first. Idiot. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I love that a cowboys fan got kicked out of redskins training camp today ??? 

wonder what goes through ones mind when one thinks "hmm....I'll go to a rivals training camp practice". Like...you're a cowboys fan....if you want to come to the good side, fine, but at least get a redskins Jersey first. Idiot. 

Haha I used to live in Simi Valley in Cali which is about 15 minutes away from Oxnard so I used to go to Dallas' TC and heckle all the time.

11 hours ago, dyst said:

I enjoyed reading the article that was posted in the twitter thread about KyShoen Jarrett and his recovery.

It was very in depth and helped answer a lot of my personal questions, mainly, he'll probably never play football again, at least not for several years. 

His right arm arm is significantly smaller than what it was before due to the injury and although he is getting better, it's still giving him trouble.

Boy that story is heartbreaking.  Selfishly I was upset that we lost a good player.  But for his career to be cut short that early, regardless of where he played, is just so unfair.

9 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

If Chase is good enough to unseat Long at C (extremely unlikely) then we will have gotten the steal of the draft. 

I know Chase is a late rounder so "steal" is appropriate, but I think our run blocking has been bad for close to 2 full seasons now. Watching all our backs hit behind the LOS starting in Morris's last year, has gotten old.  Now we just draft guys good at break tackle as a fix.

I would say Long was solid later in the year, all with reasonable expectations in place after switching over from guard not too long ago, but he is no all pro that would be unseated.  Maybe it comes down to, is our OL better with Trent Long Chase, or Trent Lauvao Long anchoring the left side.

It's odd, our run blocking was good under Mike, pass pro sucked. And then at some point, maybe when Kirk took over, the switch flipped. Pass pro became stout, run blocking now sucks.  With nary a word about what happened.

I know this may sound a little crazy but one of the things im pretty excited about is grudens weight loss.

It cant be overstated what that does for a person.

He'll have more energy, more focus, more drive and be a better and happier person.

I personally went through the large weight loss thing and i got better at every single thing i did.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he'll be a better coach because of it.

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

If Doctson performs well, no reason to keep both. JUST finances, especially when you have franchise QB.

Doctson is on a rookie contract so no worries there.  As for Pryor some are saying this could be a breakout year and he becomes elite.  All the measurables are there that entails size, speed, talent and work ethic.  You should try not to let that go to another team.  As for Kirk there is no guarantee that he'll be here next year and no they should not franchise him again where he could potentially eat up 30 to 33 million in cap space.  That is insane!  Hopefully, the player and the team come to some agreement to keep him long term.

Hail Em Up!

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

I know this may sound a little crazy but one of the things im pretty excited about is grudens weight loss.

It cant be overstated what that does for a person.

He'll have more energy, more focus, more drive and be a better and happier person.

I personally went through the large weight loss thing and i got better at every single thing i did.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he'll be a better coach because of it.

No wonder Andy Reid has never won a Super Bowl...

In all seriousness, I agree to some extent. Seems like Jay has always been a players coach, but a reenergized Jay is definitely a good thing. 

51 minutes ago, arftech said:

As for Pryor some are saying this could be a breakout year and he becomes elite.  All the measurables are there that entails size, speed, talent and work ethic.  You should try not to let that go to another team.  As for Kirk there is no guarantee that he'll be here next year and no they should not franchise him again where he could potentially eat up 30 to 33 million in cap space.  That is insane!  Hopefully, the player and the team come to some agreement to keep him long term.

If Kirk goes, Pryor probably does as well.  The vibe I get from him is that he doesn't just want money, he wants to be the best WR possible, and that means a good QB.

14 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

If a 7th rounder beats out an incumbent C who's actually playing fairly well -- and has a great footwork gif -- then he's the steal of the draft.

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It's odd, our run blocking was good under Mike, pass pro sucked. And then at some point, maybe when Kirk took over, the switch flipped. Pass pro became stout, run blocking now sucks.  With nary a word about what happened.

The new-fangled, read-option / zone blocking with a scary fast QB was the reason our run game was so effective; it wasn't due to the OL talent. (That wasn't a pro-RG piece, just saying that the smoke and mirrors offense isn't really comparable).

Our pass pro is top notch now, but I'll be honest, I expected our run blocking to be MUCH better by this point under Callahan. Combine his coaching with the talent and the "mean streaks" that I hear our Olinemen play with, I don't understand why it hasn't translated into impressive rushing numbers. 

DJax's speed will be missed, but his run blocking ability certainly won't be. He was a massive liability on run plays as he'd disappear and essentially leave us with 10 on offense... exactly like what Compton does to us on defense every play.

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

The new-fangled, read-option / zone blocking with a scary fast QB was the reason our run game was so effective; it wasn't due to the OL talent. (That wasn't a pro-RG piece, just saying that the smoke and mirrors offense isn't really comparable).

Good stuff.

I too expected our run blocking to come around since Shanahan's run game is now long gone. I actually saw a clip today of 2 OL zone blocking.  Are we power / zone, or a mish mash hybrid that does neither one well?

When our run game slowed, our pass pro increased significantly, It may be in part QBs getting rid of the ball on time etc, but it may also have been related to line shuffling / injuries, specifically at C/LG.

I heard today that Preston struggles against Trent in practice.

You know how some guys have each others numbers; other times, a no name guy will school Trent a few times.  It must be tough for PS to wow the coaches if indeed Trent just has him locked down on damn near every snap. 

I think Preston Smith might end up being "just a guy" and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure he was drafted high and there were expectations, but he's solid enough to be in rotation and might never be a superstar. Could also be a late bloomer, maybe it'll take him several years before he finds his grove.

24 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I heard today that Preston struggles against Trent in practice.

You know how some guys have each others numbers; other times, a no name guy will school Trent a few times.  It must be tough for PS to wow the coaches if indeed Trent just has him locked down on damn near every snap. 

I like this actually.  Trent has BECOME the Silverback.  He is dominant, period, and becoming better at his craft.  My hope is this makes PS better but who knows. Trent has evolved and you can tell he wants to be the best Olineman in the league, if not ever. I don't think too many "no names" are going to school Trent anymore, unless he is in cruise/rest mode.  Add in that Trent knows his game and moves....tough sledding against (arguably) the best tackle in the NFL. ***we have some really good players on our team now*** Hail

Archived