Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

14 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You have me by 1 year. I was thinking the same thing last night and it scared me half to death. 

I've seen all 3 SB wins, but the Stanley Cup is more important, if only for it's longevity...the only year there wasn't a playoff was 1918-19 because of the flu outbreak. That was 100 years ago. 

THIS IS OUR SEASON. ????

I loved the answers the Caps players gave last night. “It’s only the second win. We will enjoy it tonight and get ready for the next game. One game at a time. Haven’t won anything. “ etc

I also think to this point Trotz is not getting the credit he deserves. His message has been consistent all off season. The team is resilient, even keel and focused on the process instead of the result. 

25 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Correct. I’m sure he is back at this point with a significant raise.

Well, at least we can spend on that.  With players like Carlson, we won’t be able to spend our way into keeping him around.

Anyhow, I’ll think about that after the season is over.  The time is now.

And yes, Trotz has been nothing short of amazing for this whole run.  Starting Grubauer and then switching to Holtby at a key time.  All the line shifting with injury.  Playing 1st line against 1st line.  He has been masterful.

30 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Well, at least we can spend on that.  With players like Carlson, we won’t be able to spend our way into keeping him around.

Anyhow, I’ll think about that after the season is over.  The time is now.

And yes, Trotz has been nothing short of amazing for this whole run.  Starting Grubauer and then switching to Holtby at a key time.  All the line shifting with injury.  Playing 1st line against 1st line.  He has been masterful.

It's gonna be interesting.  Orpik comes off after next year, so you could potentially spend 7 mil on Carlson with an eye towards that.  There's no way we could keep both Kempny and Carlson, so that kind of sucks.  Either way though, Caps will have to continue drafting really well and get some bargain help to keep this window open a few more years.

One of my favorite things to do now is watch footage of the post-game celebrations at and around 8th & F. I've always heard stories of how the city exploded after championships - especially the first ones for each team. We may get a chance to see it now for the Caps.

25 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Not a bad thing, but as a now outsider who grew up in DC area, DC fans are starved for a championship. Great atmosphere around arena last night.

Not just A champhionship, its the Caps. If the Nats won, I would be pleased, but not ecstatic -- Nats barely have any history with this city. Skins and Wiz? Both have claimed championships in the past. No, the Caps are very special. Seeing them win their first Cup would be a dream come true.

Its the Ovi factor too. Guy is a legend and easily the best athlete in DC sports history. He deserves a championship. That coupled with just all the negative history with the Caps in the postseason despite the fact that for a large portion of their history, they've been one of the more consistently solid teams in the NHL.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel, but I will say I'm loving Ovi being so invested.  You see the raw emotion on his face, and realize he wants it more than any of us.  And that elevates it for me, just the raw roller coaster he's feeling (while still playing really well).

I feel like we may have figured Vegas out. In the last two games they essentially only have one even strength goal(yesterday's goal was just pure gaffe by Holtby). On the flip side, in three games we've scored ten goals on Fleury and nine were even strength. I could see us getting even more, Fleury is super aggressive but leaving the backdoor stuff wiiiide open.

They're deep, but with a healthy Kuzy and Backy are top two lines are CLEARLY better than there's. Now their third and fourth line might be better, but not by enough I don't think to win them the series(and our 4th line was super last night). I think our DMen are better too and so far, Holtby has outplayed Fleury.

Would love to see us gentlemen sweep these guys. Its Las freaking Vegas, they need to wait their turn. We deserve the Cup. It is ours.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel, but I will say I'm loving Ovi being so invested.  You see the raw emotion on his face, and realize he wants it more than any of us.  And that elevates it for me, just the raw roller coaster he's feeling (while still playing really well).

When he sold out last night and blocked that shot with his leg that was the moment I’m knew we could win the whole damn thing. This team wants it. 

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel like we may have figured Vegas out. In the last two games they essentially only have one even strength goal(yesterday's goal was just pure gaffe by Holtby). On the flip side, in three games we've scored ten goals on Fleury and nine were even strength. I could see us getting even more, Fleury is super aggressive but leaving the backdoor stuff wiiiide open.

They're deep, but with a healthy Kuzy and Backy are top two lines are CLEARLY better than there's. Now their third and fourth line might be better, but not by enough I don't think to win them the series(and our 4th line was super last night). I think our DMen are better too and so far, Holtby has outplayed Fleury.

Would love to see us gentlemen sweep these guys. Its Las freaking Vegas, they need to wait their turn. We deserve the Cup. It is ours.

I agree with all of this.  We've figured out how to deal with their team speed, Holtby is playing MAF to a draw, and Vegas just doesn't have anyone like Ovi.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Not just A champhionship, its the Caps. If the Nats won, I would be pleased, but not ecstatic -- Nats barely have any history with this city. Skins and Wiz? Both have claimed championships in the past. No, the Caps are very special. Seeing them win their first Cup would be a dream come true.

I'm the opposite.  I would love the caps to win a title but in my sports hierarchy, nats and skins are way higher in my book. 

12 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I'm the opposite.  I would love the caps to win a title but in my sports hierarchy, nats and skins are way higher in my book. 

OV has done more for this city than anyone on those rosters. I want the guy to get his title so much.

11 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

The Skins are my #1 team of course, but I actually want the Caps to win more because they're way more deserving. They've been consistently good if not great for so long and nobody in sports deserves a championship more than Ovechkin. I also think this team winning would make for a better story and lore to add to DC sports. Down 0-2 to Colombus and rallying, slaying the Penguin dragon, etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if the Skins won it all, but if they just randomly got hot and won a Super Bowl it just wouldn't be the same as the Caps winning after all they've been through.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

The Skins are my #1 team of course, but I actually want the Caps to win more because they're way more deserving. They've been consistently good if not great for so long and nobody in sports deserves a championship more than Ovechkin. I also think this team winning would make for a better story and lore to add to DC sports. Down 0-2 to Colombus and rallying, slaying the Penguin dragon, etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if the Skins won it all, but if they just randomly got hot and won a Super Bowl it just wouldn't be the same as the Caps winning after all they've been through.

100% with you there.  Ranking my sports fandom in DC, the caps for me are my 4th favorite.  behind skins, nats, terps and caps.  

2 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

OV has done more for this city than anyone on those rosters. I want the guy to get his title so much.

No doubt I agree with you 100%.  I'm just providing my opinion on the rankings of my sports fandoms.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its the Ovi factor too. Guy is a legend and easily the best athlete in DC sports history. He deserves a championship. That coupled with just all the negative history with the Caps in the postseason despite the fact that for a large portion of their history, they've been one of the more consistently solid teams in the NHL.

I guess you can say that about Ovie in the modern era but there is one name that stands above the rest all time in DC lore.In my mind Sammy Baugh would have to be the  top figure in Washington sports history. He may have been the key figuring in revolutionizing the NFL into a passing league. He was a phenomenal defensive  back and one of the best punters in the history of the game. In 1943 he led the NFL in passing,interceptions(11)for a db,and punting average(51yds).He led the Skins to 2 NFL championships. It would take two or three more paragraphs to even get close to listing all of his accomplishments.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ovi has surpassed him. I mean lets be real, Baugh played in the 1940s. You can't even compare to nowadays.

OK let’s be real,you did say DC sports history, and I even qualified  my statement by saying the Ovi would be that figure in the modern era.I am a big Ovechkin fan and would be thrilled for him and the Caps to get the Stanley Cup.

Archived