Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

just another in the endless examples of how the large bulk of the republican constituency looks upon race/inequality issues---

brian stelter's ('reliable sources--cnn') coverage of last night's trump -talk at the "nc demented gop-fest" emphasized how notable he thought it was that the audience was so silent most of the time,  even in such a pro-trump setting, when the orange pos was dishing out the same ole same ole

but the fun part that was when he contrasted a number of such examples of quiet reaction with a line of trump's that got the biggest and most enthusiastic response...it was when trump called for the rejection across all of society of 'critical race theory and 'all who try to promote it'---he wants it banned from schools, state and local gov, workplaces, and anywhere else---and the crowd roared

they are what you always thought they were

during my youth and teen years my perception was that a lot of white guys were racist to varying degrees of intensity and when my awareness of people's political identification became more a part of my data base it seemed that a lot of male republicans engaged in words and deeds that showed such...when i could  get one to admit there even was any race issue in their party it was always described as a small fraction, usually followed with some comments about how there's plenty of racism in the dems 

i would have preferred to believe that, but it didn't track with my experience or my thinking to that point...but i also didn't just assume my take that it was a large majority was a solid conclusion and actual reality...for a long time i'd usually say something like it's 'around half' or '60%' as a crude description of the degree of prevalence for race-centric animosity...of course the trump years decimated what was left of any credence i tried to accord those denials, though not much had survived over the decades

the crude estimations i use for illustrative purposes now is 'about 70% 'of that sickass party have a race issue, and i call the party in toto 'sick' now, though most of you know i also think dems are about half a cluster **** about half the time...but at their worst they are nothing like the gop in terms of total overall toxicity (but believe me, they could get there though it would be of different form)

bottom line for me: at this point the gop needs to die off substantially or be deconstructed as much as possible across the nation with all the help non-gopers can provide, including major sacrifice, and as deadpool would say, 'maximum effort'

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

during my youth and teen years my perception was that a lot of white guys were racist to varying degrees of intensity and when my awareness of people's political identification became more of part of my data base, it seemed to me that a lot of male republicans engaged in words and deeds that showed such...when i could  get one to admit there even was any in their party (and that was rarely)  it was always described as a small fraction, usually followed with some comments about how there's plenty of racism in the dems 

I suspect that a big factor in that, is that there's racism, and racism.  

There's the folks who are absolutely certain that they're not racist, because they've never burned a cross.  But they love a joke about Barack Obama serving fried chicken and watermelon in the White House.  

I saw the same thing with The Gays.  "I'm not prejudiced against them.  I think being gay should be legal.  I just don't think they should be allowed to marry.  Or be around kids."  

Me, on the subject of race and politics, I'm probably pretty far in the "social justice warrior" camp.  

But I will absolutely tell you.  If I'm at the ATM, and somebody comes up and waits, 6 feet behind me?  I will react differently if the person is black.  I'm not proud of that reaction, but I have it.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

But I will absolutely tell you.  If I'm at the ATM, and somebody comes up and waits, 6 feet behind me?  I will react differently if the person is black.  I'm not proud of that reaction, but I have it.  

I feel the same way about a man of any race in line behind me pretty much anywhere except a voting line or crowded grocery store. They are about the only places I feel safe as a woman and any time of the day. 

“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.”

Margaret Atwood

45 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i would have preferred to believe that, but it didn't track with my experience or my thinking to that point, although i also didn't just assume my take that it was a large percentage was thus a solid conclusion and the actual reality...for a long time i'd usually say it's 'around half' or '60%' sometimes as a crude description of the degree of prevalence for race-centric animosity

of course the trump years decimated what was left of any credence i tried to accord those denials, though not much had survived over the passing decades

I think Trump certainly ripped off the concealment from a lot of it.  Starting with the fact that he successfully won the nomination against over a dozen well known Republicans, based on a campaign which consisted entirely of promising to protect you from scary brown people who were cominng to rape and murder your family, and buy the house next door to you.  Followed shortly after his victory by the parades of people proudly marching behind literal Nazi flags, in celebration of the fact that Their Guy Won.  

I also think that one of the things which adjusted my thinking as to how prevalent racism was, and how aligned with the GOP, was a poll from PPP, leading up to the SC Republican Presidential Primary in SC, of likely Republican voters.  

For likely Trump voters (and for all GOP primary voters):  

Support creating a national database of all Muslims:  62% (47%)

Support making Islam illegal in the US : 33% (25%)

Glad the North won the Civil War:  24% (36%)

Now yes, these are likely primary voters.  In SC.  But, most Republican politicians are from districts which have been gerrymandered so that the Republican Primary is the real election.  And, it's obvious that there are a lot of Reoublicans who are perfectly cool with voting for the politician who came out of that primary, in the general.  

• Like 2

:ols: i'm making another brief distraction here--i think it's worthy to note nutcase1979 is still going in the emails and it's sunday now---he's made it part of his sunday :D

here's one (i won't do more unless a truly standout effort appears) of the still-incoming;

#httr1979 ( maximusrex1979@gmail.com ) said:

Jumbo fears arguments because he can never win. What a disgrace to everyone.

428.jpg

this was the response i suggested to tk:

just tell him he can quit telling us stuff we all know already

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, Jumbo said:

:ols: i'm making another brief distraction here--i think it's worthy to note nutcase1979 is still going in the emails and it's sunday now---he's made it part of his sunday :D

here's one (i won't do more unless a truly standout effort appears) of the still-incoming;

#httr1979 ( maximusrex1979@gmail.com ) said:

Jumbo fears arguments because he can never win. What a disgrace to everyone.

428.jpg

this was the response i suggested to tk:

12B057EE-9B8B-4CC1-AF8B-CDBC71C188DD.gif

• Haha 4

The thread title ends with: How Does It Get Fixed?    I think we all know, it doesn't.  Instead, it should be How Does it Get Defeated and eradicated?  So, the GOP lost the White House and the Senate to a 50-50 tie.  Despite that, they are in great shape.  They won seats in the House.  They still control many state legislatures and will be drawing the new maps.  2022 looks good for the GOP.  They will win the House back and just redistricting alone could do that for them.  They will probably regain the Senate; though the map actually favors the Dems.  It did in 2020 and we saw what happened there.  Worried about more conservative leaning Dems blocking things; well, you should won those races in 2020 and you would've had the votes to counteract Manchin and Sinema.  Manchin has been there since 2010; he's been mostly irrelevant until now.  He and the Senators that think like him; basically control anything that Joe Biden can pass.   I said in my prediction thread for 2021 that Joe Biden wouldn't pass much because not of expected opposition from the GOP but from opposition from his own party.  When a new president gets elected, they usually have some coattails.  Biden didn't have any.  The only reason it's even 50-50 and not 48-52 or 49-51 is because of a fluke election.  In normal times; the GOP would've won at least one and probably both of those seats.

Also,  people didn't vote for Biden's agenda or even Biden.  They voted against Trump and get him out.  Biden only got the nomination because Trump was the opponent and the Dems felt only he could beat Trump; other wise Sanders would've been the nominee.  Biden only won the presidency because Trump was the opponent.   If it was someone else like a Bush or Rubio; they probably would've won reelection against a Sanders or Warren.  The people didn't give Joe a congress to enact his agenda.

2024 is also looking bleak.  GOP probably wins the presidency and full control; even if Joe is running for reelection. Or if Trump is the nominee; they just steal the election for him.

I personally think the Biden presidency is pretty much over already.  It will be like Obama's after 2010 where he won't get much done.  Joe doesn't really have control now.  The right leaning Dems in the Senate control everything and you can expect that nothing will come of it.  

The GOP needs to be defeated and eradicated but it doesn't look like in the short term; that will be happening. 

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, China said:

Kayleigh McEnany Whines: Why Didn’t I Get an Annie Leibovitz Picture?

Kayleigh McEnany took to Fox News on Friday to complain that famed photographer Annie Leibovitz had never photographed her or Melania Trump, a fact that she described as evidence of the entire press corps’ moral decay. The former White House press secretary to Donald Trump was responding to a White House reporter’s tweet that Leibovitz had been spotted at the White House preparing to shoot current press secretary Jen Psaki for a magazine profile. Agreeing that there was “a dearth of even profiles, not to mention Annie Leibovitz shoots” of women in the Trump White House, McEnany whined, “Instead of the glowing profiles, there were hit pieces, repeatedly, time and time again. It’s just so sad that you have a fawning press corps like this, a fawning media sycophantically covering members of the Biden administration.”

Click on the link for the full article

psaki.jpg

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17

Issues of race only get solved when people become more educated and informed on how deep they run.  Trump basically pushed the "well I don't actually hate minorities so racism is over" mentality that you see and hear pushed on Fox and other right-wing outlets.  Their narrative is that simply even studying or investigating how racism goes beyond surface level hatred, is somehow destructive.  I think being honest, as your average middle-aged white guy, we grow up with that primary idea that as long as you don't hate someone for their skin color you are in the clear and you don't learn much about how race issues manifest themselves in many other ways especially institutional or how big a part racism, classism and bigotry played a big part in how some of these generational wealthy families achieved their financial domination in the first place.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Issues of race only get solved when people become more educated and informed on how deep they run.  Trump basically pushed the "well I don't actually hate minorities so racism is over" mentality that you see and hear pushed on Fox and other right-wing outlets.  Their narrative is that simply even studying or investigating how racism goes beyond surface level hatred, is somehow destructive.  I think being honest, as your average middle-aged white guy, we grow up with that primary idea that as long as you don't hate someone for their skin color you are in the clear and you don't learn much about how race issues manifest themselves in many other ways especially institutional or how big a part racism, classism and bigotry played a big part in how some of these generational wealthy families achieved their financial domination in the first place.  

I see it everyday on social media.  People of whom I know aren't actually racist in the sense of disliking someone because of the color of their skin, people who are friends with many different walks of life, etc.  That still only see things from the 'I didn't do it to you or your people and everything is now fair and equal' perspective.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see it everyday on social media.  People of whom I know aren't actually racist in the sense of disliking someone because of the color of their skin, people who are friends with many different walks of life, etc.  That still only see things from the 'I didn't do it to you or your people and everything is now fair and equal' perspective.  

The next stops on that road:

- "Obama became president, stop using racism as an excuse"

- "Slavery ended centuries ago, stop using it as an excuse"

- "Affirmative Action is reverse racism"

- "You get called a bigot just for having a different opinion on certain things" (heard that one 2 days ago)

- "Blacks want special treatment, they should just work hard like the rest of us"

- "I know a guy whose father came here from (fill in the blank) and didn't speak English--he now owns his own business...why can't the Blacks do that instead of wanting handouts all the time"

- "I'm not racist, ok?....But it pisses me off when..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Median household income:  

White Americans 65,777

Black Americans  43,862

Percent of people who have a felony conviction:  

US population:  8%
African-American males:  33%

GOP:  "Racism doesn't exist. (Except against white Christian males). In fact, we're going to make it a criminal offense for anyone to teach that it exists. Or that it ever has".  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2021 at 9:31 AM, mistertim said:

Rep. Mo Brooks served with lawsuit related to his role in Capitol insurrection

Alabama GOP Rep. Mo Brooks was served with a lawsuit filed by California Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell seeking to hold him partially accountable for the January 6 insurrection, according to a tweet from Brooks and an attorney for Swalwell.

"Well, Swalwell FINALLY did his job, served complaint (on my WIFE). HORRIBLE Swalwell's team committed a CRIME by unlawfully sneaking INTO MY HOUSE & accosting my wife!" Brooks wrote on Twitter.

Swalwell's legal team had had difficulty serving Brooks and hired a private investigator to give him the papers, according to court filings. Swalwell's attorney, Matthew Kaiser, told CNN Sunday that a private investigator had left the papers with Brooks' wife at their home in Alabama.

CNN is unable to corroborate Brooks' claim that Swalwell's team committed a crime. CNN has reached out to the offices of both Brooks and Swalwell for comment.

The Swalwell legal team has not formally notified the court that Brooks has been served, but that likely will be coming soon. The process server will have to provide a sworn affidavit to the court, as is typical in this procedural phase of a lawsuit. Serving the papers is important because it starts a clock in court for Brooks, the defendant, to respond to Swalwell's accusations, which seek to hold him, ex-President Donald Trump and others liable for the January 6 attack on Congress.

If Brooks doesn't believe he was properly served, he will have the opportunity to contest it in court.

"We look forward to reading the papers," Kaiser said.

Philip Andonian, another attorney for Swalwell, challenged Brooks' comments.

"No one entered or even attempted to enter the Brooks' house. That allegation is completely untrue. A process server lawfully served the papers on Mo Brooks' wife, as the federal rules allow," he told CNN. "This was after her initial efforts to avoid service. Mo Brooks has no one but himself to blame for the fact that it came to this. We asked him to waive service, we offered to meet him at a place of his choosing. Instead of working things out like a civilized person, he engaged in a juvenile game of Twitter trolling over the past few days and continued to evade service. He demanded that we serve him. We did just that. The important thing is the complaint has been served and Mo Brooks can now be held accountable for his role in inciting the deadly insurrection at the Capitol."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Not that I'm looking to be the guy defending shady tax tricks by the ultra-rich, however it's saying they hardly payed any income tax but then talks about how much their overall wealth grew. Income/capital gains tax is only for what you actually make or sell...otherwise we'd all be slapped with additional tax when the value of our house goes up or the value of any stocks we own goes up, even if we don't sell them.

Just now, mistertim said:

Not that I'm looking to be the guy defending shady tax tricks by the ultra-rich, however it's saying they hardly payed any income tax but then talks about how much their overall wealth grew. Income/capital gains tax is only for what you actually make or sell...otherwise we'd all be slapped with additional tax when the value of our house goes up or the value of any stocks we own goes up, even if we don't sell them.

Your house is pretty much exempt from capital gains taxes, right now.  Even when you sell it.  (So are any stocks you own in a retirement account.)  

This notion of "well, he have to make the accumulation of wealth completely exempt from all taxes, no matter the size, or else the government will take away Joe Sixpack's house" is a myth.  Ranks right up there with the notion that we must eliminate the taxes on billion dollar inheritances, or else the government is going to take away Martha and Jonathan Kent's farm.  

• Thanks 1