Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

23 minutes ago, Larry said:

Your house is pretty much exempt from capital gains taxes, right now.  Even when you sell it.  (So are any stocks you own in a retirement account.)  

This notion of "well, he have to make the accumulation of wealth completely exempt from all taxes, no matter the size, or else the government will take away Joe Sixpack's house" is a myth.  Ranks right up there with the notion that we must eliminate the taxes on billion dollar inheritances, or else the government is going to take away Martha and Jonathan Kent's farm.  

I wasn't trying to support any notion like that, or saying their wealth shouldn't be taxed. I was more trying to imply that the underlying structure of how the ultra-wealthy are taxed would need to change, since they aren't doing anything besides not paying taxes on stocks and other assets, like many people...but the scale they're doing it on is absolutely staggering.

It's not so much that I'm in the "Well, they're not breaking the law by doing it, more power to them" camp, as I'm in the "Well, they're not breaking the law by doing it, so the law should probably be modified" camp.

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I wish I could be so entirely wrong in my profession and have people still think I have something worthwhile to say.

You could. It just sounds like you’d need to start another profession.

All depends on how important that would be to you?! 😜

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Your house is pretty much exempt from capital gains taxes, right now.  Even when you sell it.  (So are any stocks you own in a retirement account.)  

If I recall, first 250k in capital gains if single, 500k if married, is exempt for home sales if you meet the ownership and use test.  You can also offset some of the gains by showing investments you made in the house.

That said, 500k in cap gains from a home sale isn't that hard to achieve if you've lived somewhere for a decade+ and are in a booming house market. I'm probably sitting on 200k+ and we've been at our house less than 5 years. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

This is exactly why I feel the minimum wage debate is being argued incorrectly when you try to pick an arbitrary amount and laser focus on it instead of arguing it from the perspective of purchasing power.  We need to figure out as a society what we feel a minimum/living wage should be able to provide as a first step, which is what FDR's intention was in the first place, then you figure out what it needs to be, possibly according to what state you live in, and then put in automatic escalators so it keeps up with the times automatically to remove the need for this debate every few years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Hooo booooy, I hope everyone sitting behind that lady are refraining for bursting into hysterical laughter out of some kind of respect for their elders and not because they actually support/believe anything she is saying.  Wow.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Hooo booooy, I hope everyone sitting behind that lady are refraining for bursting into hysterical laughter out of some kind of respect for their elders and not because they actually support/believe anything she is saying.  Wow.

But I want to be Magneto damnit. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 3

re: the Anti-Vax lunatic.

we absolutely have to stop legitimizing these people by wasting time listening to their bull**** in front of governmental committees expected to hold the public trust. Giving them an audience gives them stature, and increases their reach. By doing so, we have reduced ourselves significantly, weakened ourselves considerably. 

Are there no requirements to prove even the smallest bit of any of this in order to stand in front of a State's congress and completely and utterly waste their time and our collective well being? No litmus test that must be passed to be able to stand there and just say whatever the **** comes into their idiotic peabrains .. and force them to reckon with it as if tghere is any reality behind any of it?
"I saw a video on the internet" and "People are saying" are now as good as a ****ing degree? Oh, this is an expert because of Youtube and facebook research?

Apparently so. We treat their words the same as any actual expert.

**** this, there is no line. Someone should go in there and waste as much time claiming Godzilla was coming and we needed to go find Mothra on the Moon. You've seen the pictures. Probably even the movies the government wants to cover up. (why do they want to cover it up? **** if i care, all  have to do is say they are, and the second one of them dismisses me for being the idiot i clearly am, I have proof of it.)

DRAW a LINE of COMMON SENSE.  These folks have free speech, and they should be able to exercise it ...   out on the damn street corner with signs like the loonies of the past had to do.
These people are not funny. They used to be in a "can you believe how stupid people are" sort of way, but now we have practically normalized ridiculous and obvious paranoid delusions, and they are now to be considered by congressional committees on Health. These people are dangerous to the overall common good of everyone else, and are ****ing up our society in real ways. They aren't a sideshow anymore. The stupidity has affected enough people that now they sit among us, and in those halls on the other side of the desk. No regard for science, no regard for anything other than the words of "JimmyQ" on Twitter, or Youtube videos by "QKnows". 

How far does it get to go before reason steps in and puts it's foot down?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

And the liar was intentionally given a platform, by a team of other liars, for the specific purpose of providing cover for their plan to actively use the power of the state to oppose people getting vaccinated.  (An act which is successfully dealing with a lethal epidemic.)

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

re: the Anti-Vax lunatic.

we absolutely have to stop legitimizing these people by wasting time listening to their bull**** in front of governmental committees expected to hold the public trust. Giving them an audience gives them stature, and increases their reach. By doing so, we have reduced ourselves significantly, weakened ourselves considerably. 

Are there no requirements to prove even the smallest bit of any of this in order to stand in front of a State's congress and completely and utterly waste their time and our collective well being? No litmus test that must be passed to be able to stand there and just say whatever the **** comes into their idiotic peabrains .. and force them to reckon with it as if tghere is any reality behind any of it?
"I saw a video on the internet" and "People are saying" are now as good as a ****ing degree? Oh, this is an expert because of Youtube and facebook research?

Apparently so. We treat their words the same as any actual expert.

Bang, you're acting like this person somehow infiltrated that meeting and testified because of a lack of due diligence.  

She was specifically selected by people who wanted her to say that.  Precisely because said people wanted to spread that ****.  And who fully intend to repeat it.  "Well, the medical opinion is divided".  

This was a conspiracy.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

And the liar was intentionally given a platform, by a team of other liars, for the specific purpose of providing cover for their plan to actively use the power of the state to oppose people getting vaccinated.  (An act which is successfully dealing with a lethal epidemic.)

Bang, you're acting like this person somehow infiltrated that meeting and testified because of a lack of due diligence.  

She was specifically selected by people who wanted her to say that.  Precisely because said people wanted to spread that ****.  And who fully intend to repeat it.  "Well, the medical opinion is divided".  

This was a conspiracy.  

Not that she infiltrated, not that any joker can just show up and walk in to talk. However she got there, there was absolutely nothing to require her to justify WHY she was there. Because as you say, she is there to spread bull****. paranoid fantasies. And at whoever's behest, the only reason she's not stopped at the door is there are people in that room in positions to make policy on public HEALTH who as you say, are conspiring for whatever reason to spread disinformation, lies and cause chaos.

And apparently, once again, we are powerless in the face of what we know is wrong, causing harm that is real, obvious and demonstrable by actual science, and we can do nothing except to wring our hands and say "oh my goodness, whatever shall we do?"

We are helping them load the gun they are pointing at our heads, because we are too afraid to say enough is enough.

(and as I press post, well there's Louie Gohmert..  we are so ****ed.)

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

This absolute ****ing moron is walking the halls of Congress:

Isn't representative Hank "Guam will Capsize" Johnson still walking the halls of congress as well?  Seems like way to many people representing us have gone full Gohmert once or twice...maybe says more about us voters than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Isn't representative Hank "Guam will Capsize" Johnson still walking the halls of congress as well?  Seems like way to many people representing us have gone full Gohmert once or twice...maybe says more about us voters than anything else.

Easy now...that's my crazy rep.  :ols:

And he's nowhere near drunk Uncle Louie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2