Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jonathan Allen DE Alabama

PCS

50 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Biggest steal of #NFLDraft Jonathan Allen #Redskins Better coming out of college than Ndamukong Suh & I like him better than Solomon Thomas

... This is the kind of thing that explains why he hasn't had an NFL job in a long time.  No, Allen is not better than Ndamukong "greatest season a college DL has ever had" Suh.  He's not better than Solomon Thomas either, but he's a really good player and he'll be a fantastic fit here.

55 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Tim Duncan was a huge World of Warcraft dude, different sports but hopefully same result. 

I think it matches up well with the fact that he was very raw by the time he got to Alabama.  He only played a couple of years of DLine in his life, but they say he picked it up so fast.

24 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

hey I play TotalWar...since the original Shogun...I even modded a WW1 game outta of the Napolean 1

I actually love total war, but Im a nerd :-)

I'm going back through his cutups now that he's our pick and I see some stuff that makes me nervous and some other stuff that gives me confidence in the choice.

So the number one thing that worries me: he looks small.  He gives up size to everyone he faces, and sometimes the running backs that chip him are as tall as he is.  NFL length is going to give him problems.  Sometimes there is nothing he can do against it and he ends up on the ground.  And he's not a twitchy guy with a blazing first few steps to compensate for the disadvantage in size and length.  Aaron Donald isn't big either, but he can fly.  There's nothing you can do about size and speed.  They're the reasons he didn't go in the top ten.

Another thing, he faced shockingly few double teams for a blue chip college DL.  He's going to be facing them on our crap defense, and he's not going to be getting help on the back end like he got in college.  Alabama's secondary play was pretty awesome.  Can he create against a double?  We don't know.  Being able to do that is what makes a DL truly special rather than just a good starter.

But he's got some traits that really are special.  He's got awesome body control for an interior DL.  A lot of his plays are mop ups, admittedly, but the flip side of that is he's an awesome finisher.  He breaks down for tackles like a linebacker and he is really comfortable making plays off his frame.  It's fun watching him leave his feet for tackles.  He tackles like a rugby player and that's a compliment.  A lot of DLs generate the pressure but they don't have the balance and body control to finish the play and get the sack or the hit.  Allen does and you see the result in his fantastic numbers.

Get off is average, but he's got outstanding closing speed.  He's a short striding bruiser who arrives like a truck.

He's also really flexible.  Knee bender who always keeps his pads low, and he's got huge legs and can sit down in his stance for an eternity without giving up ground.  Impressive anchor for someone who is always at a size and length disadvantage.

Very strong hands.  Knows how to use them.  Push-pull looks really effective and the punch, extension, and shuck is accurate and super violent.

The intangibles also look really special.  You can tell he's smart and has no trouble finding the football.  But my absolute favorite thing about him is the toughness.  For the smallest guy on the interior of the line of scrimmage, this guy never plays scared.  He is hard.  He's out there setting tones and scaring opponents.  Winning the war of attrition and getting better in fourth quarters.  I can see why people were excited about his potential as a leader and I think he's the kind of guy who can instill swagger in a front.  He, Josh Norman, and Cravens should facilitate a culture change on the defense.

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That might be one of the least impressive highlight reels I've ever seen...coverage sacks and unblocked pursuit tackles on rbs.  That said, I like the guy and we had to make that pick at 17.  I wish him the best!

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That was much better @Califan007!  Now I'm kinda stoked.

I'm surprise no NFL scouting department or one of the major networks hasn't gripped you up yet.

He may seem too small to be an elite 3-4 end. However looking at his build, he is very clean. He doesn't carry much sloppy weight at all (weight is still weight of course whether its lean muscle or fat), however he is very athletic(hips, hands, lower body) and knows how to play. He anchors down on run plays and is patient when needed. I'm not overly concerned with his size. I would be OK with him adding 10-15 pounds of cheeseburger weight though.

3 hours ago, zskins said:

Why am I hearing that he had shoulder injury and that maybe an issue. Per Chris Russell on radio about 30 minutes ago. He is saying why the Redskins keeps on picking up injury issue players? Doctson last year and Malcom Kelley before that. 

I don't follow college football so please let me know if this is an issue?

Please don't take anything seriously from that guy, he's paid to reinvent things to be concerned and call in about. The mere fact that comb was mentioned is a joke in and of itself.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not better than Solomon Thomas either, but he's a really good player and he'll be a fantastic fit here.

He is according to Jay Gruden. Best DL in the draft is his view. He is a great fit here. Grudens interview, man he's like a kid on Christmas morning. 

I'm pretty stoked over the pick, even now off 2 and a half hours sleep.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. He can kiss his NFL career goodbye ??

Don't think so. Greg Williams worked in St. Louis with some same kind of players in the dime LB safety/LB rover role. I think Peppers got Lucky with that coördinator. He will get him to play to his strenght 

--------

Great that we took Allen. Didnt look to much into him because thought he would be long gone. Super happy with him. Is nice that he is local guy. Doesn't make him a better player but makes it a nice story. 

5 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2685046-broken-childhood-and-controlled-rage-fuel-jonathan-allen-the-unstoppable-force

Broken Childhood and Controlled Rage Fuel Jonathan Allen, the Unstoppable Force

I hope every single ES member reads this. I was already through the roof about this pick, but now I'm in outer space. Can't believe how fortunate we were to get this guy. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

... This is the kind of thing that explains why he hasn't had an NFL job in a long time.  No, Allen is not better than Ndamukong "greatest season a college DL has ever had" Suh.  He's not better than Solomon Thomas either, but he's a really good player and he'll be a fantastic fit here.

Exactly, everytime I read his mock draft trades/picks I know it's never going to happen, watching some of his vids is fun though :)

It seems that Dr Andrews gave him a clean bill of health, I hope the kid will stay healthy.

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

You don't win Total War by going defensive ;)

Instant favorite player. Total War is great game. 

Spartan.jpg

All our 90 numbers are taken currently. 

Joey Mbu (95), Houston Bates (96) and Phil Taylor (99)..could be cut before the final roster. 

Murphy wears 93 currently and also had it in college so think low chance that he gives is to Allen. 

My money is on Allen wearing 73 or 99 when season starts. 

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

I hope every single ES member reads this. I was already through the roof about this pick, but now I'm in outer space. Can't believe how fortunate we were to get this guy. 

Good call. Alright, I was definitely disappointed last night, but this kid is growing on me quickly. We've got our Richard Seymour type, now to go find his Wilfork.

3 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

He may seem too small to be an elite 3-4 end. However looking at his build, he is very clean. He doesn't carry much sloppy weight at all (weight is still weight of course whether its lean muscle or fat), however he is very athletic(hips, hands, lower body) and knows how to play. He anchors down on run plays and is patient when needed. I'm not overly concerned with his size. I would be OK with him adding 10-15 pounds of cheeseburger weight though.

I think he'll be ok because of how thick and solid his base is. His legs are basically tree trunks. Besides, he's almost 290 lbs, which I think is fine for a 1 gap penetrating type of 3-4 which is mostly what we run. 

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Actually, he technically does work for the NFL on the NFL Network.  

That's Charely's opinion and personally I put a lot of stock in it.  Maybe some slight hyperbole but as fans I think you have to be happy with this pick.  The kid was projected as a top 10 pick.  Hopefully the shoulder "issues" won't hamper him -- they didn't seem to in college.  I'm excited he's a Skin.

Archived