Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jonathan Allen DE Alabama

PCS

Welcome to the Redskins Jonathan Allen! I forsee a little town named Canton awaiting a bust of you in the not too far off future . HTTR :)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/14/14828682/jonathan-allen-scouting-report-breakdown-2017-nfl-draft

But on the overwhelming majority of plays I watched, Allen was whupping somebody's ass. That's the kind of player I want on my team, period.

Because he is so position diverse as well as scheme diverse, I can honestly say all 32 teams would benefit from drafting this kid. I will add that it would be a mistake for any of those 32 teams to pass on him if he is still on the board when they have a pick, if you get my drift.

And that brings me back to the Allen/Garrett comparison. I have to admit I might have been wrong about something in Garrett's breakdown.

Yeah, I can't believe it either.

I assumed that there wouldn't be a player in this class who was so much better than Garrett that the fans of the team that did draft Garrett would end up coveting the other guy.

After watching Allen's tape our lie detector determined that was a lie!

Allen was just so good in so many different spots, that I just feel like this guy is destined for greatness, the same way I thought Donald was destined for greatness. Allen doesn't have to worry about being labeled "too short" like they did with Donald. I don't know anybody who would say 6'3 is too short to play anywhere on the defensive line in this day and age. In some ways Allen should also benefit from what Donald has done so far in his career. A lot of teams are probably second guessing passing on him a couple years back.

*cough* Cleveland *cough*

Maybe, just maybe, those teams will think twice about making the same mistake again.

Of course Allen isn't the same kinda athlete that Donald is. Allen's motor, on the other hand, consistently runs way higher than Donald's did on his college tape.

There just aren't very many boxes that that Allen doesn't check off for what most teams are looking for in a defensive lineman. He has the size, ability, and technique that most defensive line coaches dream of getting in one player.

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Why am I hearing that he had shoulder injury and that maybe an issue. Per Chris Russell on radio about 30 minutes ago. He is saying why the Redskins keeps on picking up injury issue players? Doctson last year and Malcom Kelley before that. 

I don't follow college football so please let me know if this is an issue?

Doctson didn't have any injury issues in college, at least nothing related to the achilles injury he suffered in the NFL. That was just flukey.

Not sure what to make of Allen's injury issues. It might have scared some teams off, but I think many of the teams that did pass on him passed on him for other reasons(needing other positions, or the morons that actually traded up to take terrible QB prospects).

6 minutes ago, zskins said:

Why am I hearing that he had shoulder injury and that maybe an issue. Per Chris Russell on radio about 30 minutes ago. He is saying why the Redskins keeps on picking up injury issue players? Doctson last year and Malcom Kelley before that. 

Malcomb Kelly was drafted 9 years ago lol. I think drafting a potential top 5 pick at 17 is a good move. Regardless of injury concern, we had to take him. The good news is he's never missed any playing time.

LOL this guy was a top 3 pick two weeks ago.  All this shoulder nonsense is such a non-story, the injury happened 4 years ago, and he played his entire college career with the "injury".

Skins got the steal of the draft so far.

9 minutes ago, zskins said:

When you hear something from Chris Russell, do you really hear anything?

Oh yes, the Redskins keep picking up Injury issue players, like that guy from 9 years ago.  Nothing says repeated pattern of picking up injured guys in college like that one example 9 years ago, as long as you ignore the 60+ picks since then.

Guys like Allen fall because idiot GMs fall in love with mediocre QB prospects out of desperation. This year it happened three times. Even in years past you had examples like Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, etc. going super high. Then the real talent drops to the teens and twenties.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I'm glad to see we've already got folks putting the jinx all over this kid with all their "Canton" talk.

To be honest, any DE whos going to be stopped by a forum discussion, is probably going to get stopped by an NFL OLineman.

Read one place that was giving draft grades...

17. Washington Redskins: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama Grade: B+

Allen was a top 10 pick in many mock drafts throughout the season, so for him to fall all the way to No. 17 is a huge win for the Redskins. Allen commands double teams as a big, strong defensive lineman, and his run-stopping ability is above average.

That's cool...the description makes it sound like it should be an "A", but whatever.

But then I read this one, for the Cowboys:

28. Dallas Cowboys: Taco Charlton, DL, Michigan Grade: A-

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

That one reads like it should be a "B" lol...

But then I read THIS one:

18. Tennessee Titans: Adoree Jackson, CB, USC Grade: B

Jackson is an elite athlete and excelled in zone coverage for the Trojans in 2016. He also tallied 51 sacks and four interceptions last season. The Titans filled a big need in their secondary with this selection.

Dude gets 51 stinkin' sacks last season and only grades as a "B"! lol :silly:

Great pick.  Some scout quotes on Allen:

1. JONATHAN ALLEN, Alabama (6-2½, 285, 5.01, 1): Started 38 of 50 games on a great defense. “Prototype 3-technique,” one scout said. “He’s a beast in that gap. Good enough pass rusher. He can strike you, control the line of scrimmage, find the football and throw you. He’s a man. Very fundamental player.” Finished with 152 tackles (44½ for loss) and 28 sacks. “He’s not athletic,” a second scout said. “He’s got good hips but he doesn’t have speed. He’s good instinctively, plays hard and you can’t move the dude. His lower half is tree trunks.” Several teams have major reservations about his surgical shoulders. “If he passes your medical … but a fantastic kid,” a third scout said. “Awesome football player. Probably the most versatile defensive lineman I’ve ever done in terms of position flex.” Wonderlic of 27. “You just wonder if he can manhandle people like he did in college,” said a fourth scout. From Leesburg, Va. Added a fifth: “Hell of a player but an Alabama beat-up guy, I’m telling you. There’s a lot of them beat-up. He’s a sure thing if he holds up medically.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/23/ranking-nfl-draft-prospects-defensive-linemen/100738094/

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hahaha, okay, the guy is probably one of the smartest DLinemen to enter the league in some time.  So not only is he part of the PC Gaming master race, but he actually listed nerdy RTS type games like Total War as what he wants to play... AND, my favorite is, and did you catch this:

When asked what its like(getting drafted), he said "its like something you read in a book".  When 99% of other NFL players would have said "Its like something you see in a movie", he said "its like something you read in a book".  You know what HES doing with his free time, hah!

3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Hahaha, okay, the guy is probably one of the smartest DLinemen to enter the league in some time.  So not only is he part of the PC Gaming master race, but he actually listed nerdy RTS type games like Total War as what he wants to play... AND, my favorite is, and did you catch this:

When asked what its like(getting drafted), he said "its like something you read in a book".  When 99% of other NFL players would have said "Its like something you see in a movie", he said "its like something you read in a book".  You know what HES doing with his free time, hah!

Tim Duncan was a huge World of Warcraft dude, different sports but hopefully same result. 

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I was gonna give him credit, but...

It's either frames per second (FPS) or frame rate, not "frame rate per second (FRPS)".

It's RTS, not RPS

What the heck is an NPG

...so pretty much every single thing he said had an error in it.

I give him an A for effort but he sounds like a dude who tried to memorize some nerdy gamer stuff and then couldn't quite remember each term.

...or he's a young kid....or he's nervous because he knows it's unusual to know all that ****

screw it, I give him credit.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. He can kiss his NFL career goodbye ??

Nah, that organization is doing a brilliant tear down. They're even smart enough to realize it's the '18 class that has the QB's, not the '17, so suck now, get your QB later. Josh Rosen and Darnold are coming, much, much, much better QB prospects than any of the guys in '16 and '17. 

And I love how they've handled that tear down, just adding a gigantic pile of picks and cap flexibility. We like to make fun of them, but I love what they're doing, turning their franchise over to actually smart people, rather than old tired retreads. They also added 3 studs via the draft. Garrett should be a fantastic edge, Peppers will add a ton to the secondary and flexibility in play calling, and no TE in the class has more long term upside than Njoku. He's a monster. But to do the rebuild right they will have to land a stud QB, and need to continue to improve the OL. But I definitely like the fact that they're rebuilding the defense and offense with players with skill sets that incredibly difficult to neutralize. Britt is a fantastic flanker, Coleman is absurdly talented if he can harness his prodigious skills, after stinking it up for years, Crowell turned in his best season after an offseason of horrible press. Now add Njoku. Their QB in the future will have weapons all over the place. They just need to give him a better OL, and continue to rebuild the D and they might be playoff bound by '19 (can't say earlier because there is no decent QB on the roster, but like the Jets, I believe they are tanking for Rosen/Darnold, pulling a Suck for Luck kind of campaign-even Njoku and Peppers fit that theme as both are a bit of projects, Njoku because he's somewhat raw, Peppers because he lacks a fixed position like Cravens last year). 

25 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

hey I play TotalWar...since the original Shogun...I even modded a WW1 game outta of the Napolean 1

23 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

I was gonna give him credit, but...

It's either frames per second (FPS) or frame rate, not "frame rate per second (FRPS)".

It's RTS, not RPS

What the heck is an NPG

...so pretty much every single thing he said had an error in it.

I give him an A for effort but he sounds like a dude who tried to memorize some nerdy gamer stuff and then couldn't quite remember each term.

...or he's a young kid....or he's nervous because he knows it's unusual to know all that ****

screw it, I give him credit.

nerdss.gif

Archived