Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Jonathan Allen DE Alabama

PCS

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I'd rather have Dalvin Tomlinson - he can plug is next to his College teammate and play inside in base at 0/1 tech. He is only a 2 down player but he's elite against the run. In related news we were last in the NFL last year on yards per carry conceded on 1st down.

2nd round might be a tick early for him but I'm not sure he will last until our 3rd round pick.

Like the player, but question the fit.  Agree with the need to improve the run D, but remember that both Foster and Compton are free agents after this year.  You already have McGee/McClain/Allen up front along with guys like Lanier/Ioannidis/Hood, all of whom are under contract beyond next year.  Not sure how you improve your run defense long-term if you have no long-term options at ILB.  Seems to me pairing an ILB (ideally a three-down one with thump against the run) with what we already have on the D-line would improve the run D more than Tomlinson.  I know it's not a zero-sum game, but I like my chances of taking a LB early and finding a DT late a whole lot more than vice versa.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I had a dream we drafted Allen last night. It was awesome. He somehow fell to us!

Wait. Never mind.

I had a similar dream where someone actually said his upside was that of Chris Baker

Theres always one, no? We find a big gold nugget in the dirt exactly when we needed it and there's always somebody who wants to say it's Fool's Gold or other negative comment.

I was praying for him to drop to us I could not believe that we got him. Literally I was in shock I couldn't ****ing believe it. He was the one guy I really wanted but did not believe that we had a chance in hell to get him

I'll have to find the post lol. 

Crazy idea though.

one guy(baker) is sloppy and relies on strength and size with reckless abandon (was pretty solid to be fair)

another is a lean 286 who is a former linebacker, understands the game and where he needs to be, rarely overpursues, sniffs out screens and misdirection plays. And when he decides to rush the passer, uses hands and sheds blocks with ease.

Some people are allergic to happiness lol

Baker was vastly overrated by our fans. He's a decent player but nothing special. He ran out of steam easily and often took plays off. He also had awful football IQ and instincts. Remember that one time there was a loose fumble right by him and he was too busy celebrating a sack to notice? He talked a big game for a guy who was maybe a C+ player at best. But Skins fans love their charismatic scrubs.

I just watched this http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/0ap3000000803884/Draft-Diaries-Jonathan-Allen-s-emotional-draft-day

I'm so excited for this guy. He has a level head, smart on and off the field. Engaged and should never be an off field liability. I have heard some say he is not athletic, I laugh at this idea. For him to carry the weight he carries so well is a genetic blessing in its own right. Watching film break down of his read and react style mixed with legit interior pass rushing skills. We made the absolute best pick we could have made round one.

Even if this pick does not work out, we did the RIGHT thing and it feels good :)

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Even if this pick does not work out, we did the RIGHT thing and it feels good :)

This is excellent logic that I fear will go unremembered should Allen have shoulder issues early in his career as it has gone unremembered after other no-brainer moves we've made that have not always worked out.   There are some who think we were stupid for hiring Spurrier, who, at the time, was considered an astoundingly fantastic hire.   I've often said a move is a good one or a bad one the moment you make it, NOT based on how it works out, though how it works out CAN turn a dumb decision in to one fortunate to have been made.   See Joe Gibbs when JKC made the hire initially as an example.

You are right though, Allen is a decision that was absolutely the only one you could make given our needs and style of play.   If he's fantastic it'll be good we made the choice but no special credit is earned for making the choice all of us would have made.   Similarly, if he fails, no scorn exists for those who made a pick that was good this moment and remains good regardless of how Allen actually plays.

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I just watched this http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/0ap3000000803884/Draft-Diaries-Jonathan-Allen-s-emotional-draft-day

I'm so excited for this guy. He has a level head, smart on and off the field. Engaged and should never be an off field liability. I have heard some say he is not athletic, I laugh at this idea. For him to carry the weight he carries so well is a genetic blessing in its own right. Watching film break down of his read and react style mixed with legit interior pass rushing skills. We made the absolute best pick we could have made round one.

The commish told Allen in his ear as they were hugging on the stage: "Great franchise. If you need something let me know." Ah, the commish still loves his Redskins deep down in his heart. :)

10 hours ago, Morneblade said:

We stole him. My god. WE HAVE JONATHAN ALLEN! WE HAVE JONATHAN ALLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought about you too when it was made. Happy for all of us who've been clamoring about Dline forever now. :) 

4 hours ago, Skinz_4_life said:

Give him 93!! Reminds me of Phillip Daniels 

I thought the same thing. Reminds me of Phillip Daniels. Trent has 93 though. His personality seems to resemble Phillips too. 

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Can someone bump the "welcome to" thread from when we drafted cousins?  I can't find it and would like to reminisce.

It's archived, there's no bumping... but enjoy. Good times, lol. 

Archived