Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 7

Riggo-toni

Seven episodes in season 7. Coincidence? Narrative device? 

Is it shaping up that the seven Gods have human representation?

1 Mother: Dany

2 Maiden: Sansa

3 Crone: Lady Olenna

4 Warrior: Jon "Jaehaerys 2" Snow

5 Smith: Gendry???

6 Stranger: Arya

7 Father: Bran ???? (time traveling mind-demon that he is)

The only other key character that doesn't have a "god-link" is Tyrion. Which makes me think he's a goner. 

On 5/24/2017 at 4:55 PM, Destino said:

Books are his chance to create a legacy that will withstand the test of time unspoiled by the future Hollywood studios that think they can improve the classics with more special effects and shaking cameras.  No one will give a damn about the current TV show in 30 years.  If he writes a good ending, his series becomes a fantasy series classic.  Lord of the Rings was published in the 50s and you can find kids reading them today.  His words and his story, as he intended it, could live on forever.  What writer would pass on a chance at that?

This doesn't mean I'm not excited about the show though.  If the whole season leaked right now, I wouldn't sleep tonight.  :ols:

You know, I had NO IDEA that the LotR was published in the 1950's.  I've read the series, hated it, tried again, hated it again, then quit.  For what it's worth, I read like 10 pages of Game of Thrones (first book) and said, "I'm done with this.  Show only for me."  I actually thought it must have been written in the 1800's. :)  

That said, I think that times are slightly different, and I disagree that the show won't have an audience for years to come.  Epic shows with huge followings have audiences forever.  I would have agreed with you maybe a decade ago.  But at this point, I think that anything that is put out there is realistic enough to stand the test of time. 

Couple that with the fact that there are just less people reading books, and that trend is going to continue to diminish over time. 

I think George's legacy is set.  He created a world, 5 books, and his world was the basis of one of the most popular TV shows of all time.  

I also don't think he ever finishes the books.  i think he's going to be distracted with other stuff, and when the show actually completes the story, he's going to just not have the interest in completing the books.  He'll keep dabbling in the world with other novellas and what not, but not finish the series.  

8 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

1 Mother: Dany

2 Maiden: Sansa

3 Crone: Lady Olenna

4 Warrior: Jon "Jaehaerys 2" Snow

5 Smith: Gendry???

6 Stranger: Arya

7 Father: Bran ???? (time traveling mind-demon that he is)

I just don't think Gendry and Lady Olenna can be considered part of the seven major players.

Mother: Dany

Maiden: Sansa

Crone: Bran/Melissandre

Warrior: Brienne/Hound

Smith: Tyrion

Stranger: Arya

Father: Jon

Neat theory though.

47 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Started over from Season 1 last night. Trying to get all the way through before season 7 premier in July..

Its amazing how much more sense everything makes the second time through lol

It really is. You miss a lot the first few episodes because you are still learning names and places and the history.

Not to mention quite a bit of the Ned/Lyanna stuff. The first time through you pick up the mystery surrounding her and Rhaegar and Jon's parents but the next time through, it kinda smacks you in the face, all the subtle hints throughout

Another example would be Roose Bolton. The first time through, I really just remembered him as a familiar face when he stabs Robb. "Oh hey that guy." But on the second viewing, you recognize him and see he is Robb's right hand and top adviser all throughout the 2nd and third season during the war and you can see him growing irritated over some of Robb's decisions. 

Also, little things like Tywin writing an important letter one episode that on second viewing you realize he is writing to Walder Frey, planning the Red Wedding. 

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I think that times are slightly different, and I disagree that the show won't have an audience for years to come.  Epic shows with huge followings have audiences forever.  I would have agreed with you maybe a decade ago.  But at this point, I think that anything that is put out there is realistic enough to stand the test of time. 

Couple that with the fact that there are just less people reading books, and that trend is going to continue to diminish over time.

TV will never stand the test of time.  It's pop entertainment that's consumed for gabbing at the water cooler as much as anything else.  The popular part is significant to the over all experience.  Plus, it's dependent on technology which is forever changing.  They have a shelf life after which they are almost entirely relegated to nostalgic old people. 

Reading is essential.  Maybe not reading stories about dragons, specifically, but books tell better and more complete stories than TV programs and movies can ever hope to match.  No one even checks to see when a books was first published.  It doesn't matter.  They only care that if it's good and worth their time. 

3 hours ago, Yohan said:

I just don't think Gendry and Lady Olenna can be considered part of the seven major players.

Mother: Dany

Maiden: Sansa

Crone: Bran/Melissandre

Warrior: Brienne/Hound

Smith: Tyrion

Stranger: Arya

Father: Jon

Neat theory though.

I like the melisandra angle for crone. Because I was trying to think where Lord of Light plays into it.but I wouldn't be surprised if Bran is the Lord of Loght.

2 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I like the melisandra angle for crone. Because I was trying to think where Lord of Light plays into it.but I wouldn't be surprised if Bran is the Lord of Loght.

Bran is the Lord of Light. I think that's the ending twist and the reason that Jon and Daenerys ending up together isn't cliched. They've been manipulated by a god more or less. 

2 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Bran is the Lord of Light. I think that's the ending twist and the reason that Jon and Daenerys ending up together isn't cliched. They've been manipulated by a god more or less. 

Yeah, it makes no sense that the 7 gods old and new haven't done **** yet we've seen the Lord of Light interact and impact the series a lot just in the handful of years he show has taken place over. 

Bran being the lord of light and manipulating events thru his power makes too much sense

i think bran has been the one that has set the entire story into motion by making the mad king go mad

6 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Started over from Season 1 last night. Trying to get all the way through before season 7 premier in July..

Its amazing how much more sense everything makes the second time through lol

I did that starting in Feb, thinking 6 seasons would take a while. I finished in April.  Completely mid-timed it.

but SO worth it.  

6 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

By the way, both the concept of God having 7 manifestations as well as being the Lord of Light with truth revealed in the flames are key elements of Zoroastrianism.

Interesting. I had no idea.  And I'm a (non-practicing) Zoroastrian.  I'll have to check with my dad, who went through priest training when he was a boy. 

Amesha Spenta is a Zoroastrian vision for a class of divinity/divine concepts, and literally means (in reverse word order) "Bounteous Immortal". It is stated that the Hebrews combined the concept of Divine Spark or Bounteous Immortal with planetary and astrologcal concepts ', through their connection with Assyrian, Babylonian and Zoroastrian concents who already understood the Divine Spark which, unites ethereal and spiritual concepts with material and manifest objects in Zoroastrianism

Utilising Persian texts, as the translation of Zoroastrian text has proved difficult. The Seven Great Spirits or Divine Sparks are:

1. Vohu Manah -Middle Persian -'Good Mind' - Vahman or Bahman of cattle (and all animal creation) 
2. Asha Vahista - Middle Persian - 'Supreme Truth - Ardwahisht of fire (and all other luminaries) 
3. Kshathra Vairya - Middle Persian - 'Excellent Dominion' - Shahrevar of metals (and minerals) 
4. Spenta Armaiti - Middle Persian - 'Benign Thought' - Spendarmad of earth 
5. Haurvatat - Middle Persian - 'Perfection' - Hordad or Khordad of water 
6. Ameretat - Middle Persian - 'Deathlessness' - Amurdad of plants 
7. Ahura Mazda - Middle Persian - the guardian of humankind

http://www.archangels-and-angels.com/misc/seven_great_spirits.html

11 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

The shows almost over. Now is a good time as any. Probably this season finale.

Probably gonna be by far the saddest moment in the show. What a gut-wrencher that one's going to be (up there with Hodor) ...

If I had to place bets, he dies in an epic battle with the WW while riding a damn dragon, which was his childhood dream. But that sort of timing would likely place his death in Season 8

I watched Season 1 then read all the books after that season was complete. I went back and re-watched Season 1 and my mind was blown with what I had missed.

Also, I then re-watched Seasons 1-5 with my wife leading up to Season 6 ... that was awesome. A second run-through really makes it all so much clearer.

When the series is done, GOT will be the best binge-watch around, going from Season 1-8

I usually binge watch the show from beginning to end before a new season starts

takes me a little longer because I also like to listen to the commentaries, they have some really good ones in this series.

which reminds me, i still havent bought season 6 yet

I still believe that "X wins the Iron Throne" is the worst possible ending, and would really undercut all the good things the show has done over the years.

Jon is letting the wildings through the Wall. There is a Queen who will be fighting other women for the throne. Somehow, this needs to end with some kind of dramatic change to this society.

In other words, the show needs to end with Tyrion handling "Prime Ministers Questions."

(By the way, how are all these ****ers still funding these massive armies? The Seven Kingdoms have been at war for years, all the major lords from the first few seasons are dead, the Lannisters mines are empty, the treasury was empty before the show even began, and winter is now here. Yet, there seems to be an endless supply of Red Shirts whenever a battle sequence is needed. Christ, Stannis alone lost two entire armies).

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

(By the way, how are all these ****ers still funding these massive armies? The Seven Kingdoms have been at war for years, all the major lords from the first few seasons are dead, the Lannisters mines are empty, the treasury was empty before the show even began, and winter is now here. Yet, there seems to be an endless supply of Red Shirts whenever a battle sequence is needed. Christ, Stannis alone lost two entire armies).

They made a point during seasons 4-5 to bring up the Iron Bank in Bravos multiple times with Tywin and Stannis. It was implied that the Iron Bank always collects no matter what. 

I thought that would have had a bigger impact into the plot of season 6 since Stannis died and never became King plus the Lannisters are bleeding money in King's Landing. 

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I still believe that "X wins the Iron Throne" is the worst possible ending, and would really undercut all the good things the show has done over the years.

Jon is letting the wildings through the Wall. There is a Queen who will be fighting other women for the throne. Somehow, this needs to end with some kind of dramatic change to this society.

In other words, the show needs to end with Tyrion handling "Prime Ministers Questions."

The Economist ran a piece on this highlighting the debt crisis in Westeros:

https://www.1843magazine.com/culture/the-daily/game-of-loans

Archived