Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 7

Riggo-toni

Good list @Voice_of_Reason , both of them haha 

I'd add a few to the list. Actually maybe they aren't epic but they are iconic. 

1) The Tower of Joy/Jon's King in the North

these scenes fo perfectly together and reveal a mystery that had been building for 7 years 

2) Jaime loses his hand

just completely shocking to me at the time. I'd already started to turn on Jaime and he was quickly becoming a favorite thru his capture and then this, losing his sword hand. Just a stunning moment

3) Jaime/Brienne hot tub scene. 

Might be the best acted scene in the series. Jaime is just perfect here I love it. We finally learn the truth about what happened the day that the Kingslayer was born 

Also, little reveals like that and the discussions about the past are why I do not want a spinoff or prequel series at all. The little mysteries of the past and the nuggets the show feeds us are fascinating and enhance the lore so much. I don't want the curtain pulled back on Robert's rebellion or Aegon conquering westeros etc 

honestly, I wouldn't even watch 

One of the things I tell people that haven't seen the show is how well the world is created and how much you want to know and discover about it. 

Showing all of that in a prequel kind of cheapens it 

14 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Good list @Voice_of_Reason , both of them haha 

I'd add a few to the list. Actually maybe they aren't epic but they are iconic. 

1) The Tower of Joy/Jon's King in the North

these scenes fo perfectly together and reveal a mystery that had been building for 7 years 

You're right, I think that the edit between the 2 was absolutely fantastic.  

Both the Jon and Rob "King In The North" scenes were cool.  Though not "epic" in my definition.  (Though Lyanna Mormont WAS Epic in the Jon scene)

2) Jaime loses his hand

just completely shocking to me at the time. I'd already started to turn on Jaime and he was quickly becoming a favorite thru his capture and then this, losing his sword hand. Just a stunning moment

Huge plot point.  I honestly can't remember the full scene, just that it happened, and who did it. 

3) Jaime/Brienne hot tub scene. 

Might be the best acted scene in the series. Jaime is just perfect here I love it. We finally learn the truth about what happened the day that the Kingslayer was born 

I agree, that was an awesome scene.  Epic?  I'm not sure.  Awesome?  Sure.  

Also, little reveals like that and the discussions about the past are why I do not want a spinoff or prequel series at all. The little mysteries of the past and the nuggets the show feeds us are fascinating and enhance the lore so much. I don't want the curtain pulled back on Robert's rebellion or Aegon conquering westeros etc 

honestly, I wouldn't even watch 

One of the things I tell people that haven't seen the show is how well the world is created and how much you want to know and discover about it. 

Showing all of that in a prequel kind of cheapens it 

I guess I'm the opposite.  I'd love to watch more about the world.  I would love to see both Robert's Rebelion AND Aegon conquering Westeros.  I would not care for a story centering around the White Walkers/Night King, though.  

Yeah I don't think they were epic. Just great scenes that are favorites of mine.

Regarding Jaime's hand, this is when he and Brienne were captured by that real piece of **** Locke and being taken back to Robb Stark. Jaime lies and tells the story of Brienne's family's riches to save her from being rsped then tries to use his privilege to get untied from the tree and some food. Locke acts like he is going to give in and then throws him over the log and slices his hand off.   

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd love to watch more about the world.  I would love to see both Robert's Rebelion AND Aegon conquering Westeros.

Yeah we are definite opposites here. I just love not knowing so much about the almost mythical rebellion at this point. How King's Landing was sacked, how Rhaegar was defeated at the trident etc. The mystery enhances the infnormsrion we do learn about the past. Everything in the show feels real, the past especially, weighs on all the events that are unfolding. Even Ned's death still hangs over the show. Pulling back the curtain removes that IMO. 

On the topics of 4 spin-offs (with all due respect to @Momma There Goes That Man), Watchers on the Wall posted what could be 4 good spinoffs.  

Here is the link

The one problem with any of the ideas they have (which is the same problem that a lot of prequels have) is the we already KNOW the ending.  So the intrigue, plot twists, etc.  are basically minimal.  

So while I would most likely watch them, maybe I am coming around a bit to the point where the past might be best left in the past.

And, I do come at this from the perspective of "Show Only." I understand that my book-reader friends have been going down the show route KNOWING what is going to happen.  At least until the end of season 5, for the most part.

I think it's one of the things that kinda doomed the Star Wars prequels.  (Aside from ridiculously bad acting and stupid decisions like including Jar Jar, and trying to make them kids movies).  We KNEW what was going to happen.  And the story of HOW it happened turned out to be less interesting than we all thought.  

Now, contrast that with Rogue One, which did also occur in the past, but we knew VERY LITTLE about what it was actually all about. Basically, we knew that a number of rebels had sacrificed greatly to get the plans.  They took that line and made it a movie.  And used essentially all new characters except for 3 or 4.  

Anyway, I'm rambling.  In order to get intrigue and a lot of the things that makes GoT so successful, they almost can't use something that's backstory.  They might have to advance the world somehow.  a show 200 years after the current one ends?  Maybe just continue to have scenes with Emilia Clarke doing bad-ass stuff with Dragons? :P

Our friendly world creator Geoge RR Martin decided to weigh in on the spin-offs.  Here are the highlights:

Link to George RR Martin Article

- All are prequels

- There seem to now be 5 different possibilities

- Dunk & Egg will not be among them because he wants to write more source material** (more on this later)

- He's sensitive to the point where they don't want to re-hash a plot-line where you already know the outcome and a lot of the facts in it.  Like my Star Wars analogy, doing Robert's Rebellion won't be on the table, because it's going to be described in more detail in the following 2 books (and most likely, the remaining component of the TV show)

My overall takeaway from this is that he's totally distracted from actually finishing the series.  I do believe that the Winds of Winter will eventually be released.  I kinda don't think that the final book will be before George dies, because he's going to be distracted with other new material which hasn't been told, where whatever story the last book would tell, in some way will already have been told by the show.  

He said he want's to write more about Dunk & Egg.  Hence my thought that he'll do that instead of finishing the books.  And he's not 20-something years old...

And thus, he'll be bored with it, and instead focus on new material.  Just my thought.  

I laughed at GRRM's reasoning behind not doing a Robert's Rebellion spinoff, saying that by the time he's finished writing the books, all the details of that story would have already been told. This is quite ironic, considering how a spinoff series about Robert's Rebellion would be finished completely before any hint of the final book comes out, given how turd slow he is at writing.

53 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I laughed at GRRM's reasoning behind not doing a Robert's Rebellion spinoff, saying that by the time he's finished writing the books, all the details of that story would have already been told. This is quite ironic, considering how a spinoff series about Robert's Rebellion would be finished completely before any hint of the final book comes out, given how turd slow he is at writing.

I actually had a morbid thought when I read it.  It was, "You're going to die before you finish the books, so we'll never know." 

That said, I am not a book reader, and not going to be one.  So, as far as I'm concerned, the story will have an ending, and that ending is whatever D&D say it's going to be. 

I agree, however, that a full series on Robert's Rebellion is a bad idea.  1) we know the ending, 2) we know the characters, 3) there's only so much "story" more than a big battle. It would seem to have the same problem as the Star Wars prequels did. 

That said, if HBO wanted to make a 3 episode mini-series, or maybe a "Made for HBO" movie, I'd watch. :)  But I'm not sure that it would be enough bang to justify the buck.

My concern is that they'll focus on things I personally don't care about.  I'm an aberration in viewers: I'm not really into any type of fantasy.  I HATED Lord of the Rings, both the books (which I subjected myself to try and read twice, in the hopes I would like it, like a lot of my friends), and I made it 45 minutes through the first movie and walked out of the theater.  (Ended up hanging around the concession stand with a cute blonde working the popcorn stand.  MUCH better choice. The free popcorn was great too...)

So, I care much less about the White Walker story lines, or Children of the Forest, or any of that jazz. Or really any of the magic.  The only "fantasy" part I really dig are the dragons.  Because who doesn't love a hot blonde riding a dragon? ;) (Even if she's not a natural blonde.  Doesn't matter.) 

I'm worried that they're going to go full on fantasy for the spin-offs, with more about the White Walkers, Children, etc.  This just doesn't interest me. 

Shurg.  We'll see.  I'm sure I'll watch whatever they come up with.  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Our friendly world creator Geoge RR Martin decided to weigh in on the spin-offs.  Here are the highlights:

Link to George RR Martin Article

- All are prequels

- There seem to now be 5 different possibilities

- Dunk & Egg will not be among them because he wants to write more source material** (more on this later)

- He's sensitive to the point where they don't want to re-hash a plot-line where you already know the outcome and a lot of the facts in it.  Like my Star Wars analogy, doing Robert's Rebellion won't be on the table, because it's going to be described in more detail in the following 2 books (and most likely, the remaining component of the TV show)

My overall takeaway from this is that he's totally distracted from actually finishing the series.  I do believe that the Winds of Winter will eventually be released.  I kinda don't think that the final book will be before George dies, because he's going to be distracted with other new material which hasn't been told, where whatever story the last book would tell, in some way will already have been told by the show.  

He said he want's to write more about Dunk & Egg.  Hence my thought that he'll do that instead of finishing the books.  And he's not 20-something years old...

And thus, he'll be bored with it, and instead focus on new material.  Just my thought.  

I don't buy his reasoning, because how things end for Dunk and Egg is out there if someone wanted to look as well. I just think he wants to write everything BUT the last two books of ASOIAF. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I am not a book reader, and not going to be one.  So, as far as I'm concerned, the story will have an ending, and that ending is whatever D&D say it's going to be. 

GRRM told D&D the ending to the story. They'll end it the way he planned on it, it's just a lot of the stuff in-between will be different. What I don't particularly care for, is when the show kills a character, this lazy **** goes on Twitter talking about whether he ended that character the same way or not. He's spoiling his own books like he has no intention of allowing the audience to read how it turns out. 

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

I don't buy his reasoning, because how things end for Dunk and Egg is out there if someone wanted to look as well. I just think he wants to write everything BUT the last two books of ASOIAF. 

I think he's completely bored with ASOIAF.  Because the show is telling the story, and now that it's ahead of the books, there's no compelling reason to re-hash the same story, in whatever way he wants to.

I actually can't remember this situation ever happening before, where a film adaptation was started before the source material was completed, then the film over-took it.  It's really bizarre.

30 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

GRRM told D&D the ending to the story. They'll end it the way he planned on it, it's just a lot of the stuff in-between will be different. What I don't particularly care for, is when the show kills a character, this lazy **** goes on Twitter talking about whether he ended that character the same way or not. He's spoiling his own books like he has no intention of allowing the audience to read how it turns out. 

I'm sure D&D will finish the story the way the books will finish, unless GRRM decides to change for the sole reason of being different. I actually think that the only way he releases the last book is if he decides to re-write the ending.  Which I could see him doing.

I don't follow him on twitter, and I don't really pay attention to much that he says.  The only reason I put this story up is because it directly related to a conversation we were having, and he had "info."  

In general, I'd be happy if he just stopped writing, and D&D just finished the story, and produced whatever spinoffs they like.  My opinion is that they are as much responsible for this world now as GRRM is.  

Hell, if they wanted to tell GRRM to **** off and they were finishing the story differently than he intended, I'd be totally down with that too.  

Think it was @Lombardi's_kid_brotherthat was on this train, but if I was GRRM, I wouldn't finish the damn books either.

1) Finish writing my incredibly detailed thousand page books, locking myself away from the outside world to do it, and my ending will be spoiled by the TV show that started afterwards.

2) Let the TV show writers work out the nitty gritty, and act as a consultant to make sure things go the way I wanted while having my story come to life on the boob toob with a multi million $ budget. All the while I simply sign autographs, go to comic-cons, and spend my money however I choose.

Yeah, I'd choose option 2 as well. In fact, if he knew it would be a success, I bet he'd have never written the books in the 1st place if there was a guarantee that it was a massive television success with him as a lead writer/producer instead of the sole author.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:44 PM, LLandryistheshiz said:

Yeah, I'd choose option 2 as well. In fact, if he knew it would be a success, I bet he'd have never written the books in the 1st place if there was a guarantee that it was a massive television success with him as a lead writer/producer instead of the sole author.

Books are his chance to create a legacy that will withstand the test of time unspoiled by the future Hollywood studios that think they can improve the classics with more special effects and shaking cameras.  No one will give a damn about the current TV show in 30 years.  If he writes a good ending, his series becomes a fantasy series classic.  Lord of the Rings was published in the 50s and you can find kids reading them today.  His words and his story, as he intended it, could live on forever.  What writer would pass on a chance at that?

This doesn't mean I'm not excited about the show though.  If the whole season leaked right now, I wouldn't sleep tonight.  :ols:

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Man the Lannisters are kinda screwed with everyone coming at them in every direction. That video also makes it seem like Danerys will not be allying with Jon Snow. I don't really see how the Greyjoys have a chance though, they may have a good navy but they'll get pooped on on land if they even make it that far.

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Man the Lannisters are kinda screwed with everyone coming at them in every direction. That video also makes it seem like Danerys will not be allying with Jon Snow. I don't really see how the Greyjoys have a chance though, they may have a good navy but they'll get pooped on on land if they even make it that far.

I'm not watching the trailer to go into season 7 fresh but they're allied with Daenerys so they can have some of her 20,000+ army

16 hours ago, Destino said:

Books are his chance to create a legacy that will withstand the test of time unspoiled by the future Hollywood studios that think they can improve the classics with more special effects and shaking cameras.  No one will give a damn about the current TV show in 30 years.  If he writes a good ending, his series becomes a fantasy series classic.  Lord of the Rings was published in the 50s and you can find kids reading them today.  His words and his story, as he intended it, could live on forever.  What writer would pass on a chance at that?

This doesn't mean I'm not excited about the show though.  If the whole season leaked right now, I wouldn't sleep tonight.  :ols:

"If he writes a good ending". That seems to be the key... I don't think he has any idea how to end it :ols:

It looks like from the trailer that Danerys will take Dragonstone. That was Stannis' seat for the majority of the series, and where he launched his navy to attack the Lannisters and King's Landing from. That's a good defensive position to launch an attack. 

I also agree that is looks like Danerys won't want anything from Jon Snow but fealty and obedience, which he probably isn't going to be providing considering what he knows about the danger North of him, and his people are done being led by Southerners. 

I did wonder if Davos' dialogue that you can hear in the trailer about banding together and it doesn't matter who sits on the iron throne if its just bones could potentially be directed at Danarys or one of her advisers in an attempt to create a union.

I mean it's a short, 7-episode season. A lot is going to happen really fast. But there's a chance that Dany ignores Jon in the north and Jon's attention is primarily turned toward the wall/ranging North to get intel on the WW ... but by the end of Season 7 they may come to a head and be forced to either clash or create an alliance and ... that may be where Davos' dialogue comes in. I could see Jon sending him as an envoy.

Noticably absent from the trailer at least at real speed is Bran and Sam. Sam, I have to imagine, is off discovering some secret intel. on the WW and the wall ... and Bran at some point has to reunite with Jon to reveal his true parentage.

Interesting stuff in that trailer:

Dany landing on Dragonstone

Unsullied crashing through the gates with Lannister imagery above, and later they directly battle Lannister forces

Sea battle, possibly between the two Iron born factions (Yara vs Euron)

Archived