Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How long will the Trump Presidency last?

88Comrade2000

Poll:How long will the Trump Presidency last?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How long will the Trump Presidency last?

• Less than 6 months
    • 6 months to 1 Year
    • 2 Years
    • 3 Years
    • 4 Years - One Complete Term
    • 5 Years
    • 6 Years
    • 7 Years
    • 8 Years - Two Full Terms

12 hours ago, Forehead said:

It amazes me how fall down stupid some people are.  A guy on my Facebook feed two days ago got into a 100+ comment argument with his contacts about whether gravity actually exists, or if the math can be disproved and explained away by a combination of other things.  Guess who he supports loudly?

Yeah that sounds pretty stupid but you know what else sounds pretty stupid?   -   "Trump will be impeached! Trump is a traitor and must be arrested! The Republicans will remove Trump etc. etc." And no I'm not a fan of Trump

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He's not going anywhere and no republican is going to face the backlash from the mob by challenging his relection in 2020. They're afraid of the crowd 

I don't know about that, those Tea Party congressmen defied him and his supporters yesterday. The problem is you have to have a legitimate reason to impeach him and despite the fevered imagination of some on this board there is no evidence that he committed any crimes that would lead to removal from office. 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

I don't know about that, those Tea Party congressmen defied him and his supporters yesterday. The problem is you have to have a legitimate reason to impeach him and despite the fevered imagination of some on this board there is no evidence that he committed any crimes that would lead to removal from office. 

I'm sure they can generate something; like when they impeached Bubba for lying about a blowjob, under oath.  That wasn't a high crime or misdemeanor on the level that you remove a President but they impeached him anyway.  I'm sure when we get the point where they would actually consider impeaching Trump; you will have enough there to impeach him and if the Dems control the Senate- remove him.

As for the Tea Party, they couldn't even win the nomination of the Republican party in 2016. While the Tea Party has enough members to block anything- thus their power; they can never win a majority in the GOP much less the country overall. 

It's going to be interesting what they do with Tax Cuts and Infastructure.  Trump really doesn't care about the deficits; he wants those passed and the only way to do that; is by deficit spending and increasing the DEBT Limit.   The GOP's mantra is that TAX Cuts will spur growth and bring in revenue to offset the cuts. 

Trump will eventually be going after the GOPers that deny him his policies being enacted.

Yeah that sounds pretty stupid but you know what else sounds pretty stupid?   -   "Trump will be impeached! Trump is a traitor and must be arrested! The Republicans will remove Trump etc. etc." And no I'm not a fan of Trump

I don't believe I'm one of them. Do I think maybe the country would be better off?  Sure.  Do I think it will happen, no.  I'm not sure what you're trying to equate here....people who are concerned about Trump being in charge versus people who deny gravity, don't believe in the moon landing, are anti-vax, etc.?  That's equal in your mind?

Yet

We're barely two months in

• 1 month later...

I still say 4 years because I think the Republicans are that bad. Given their reactions to this, to Comey, and so many other things, I don't know if they have any ethically uncrossable lines at all. Mid terms will be the answer, I suppose.

@Mad Mike got the answer right.

40 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I still say 4 years because I think the Republicans are that bad. Given their reactions to this, to Comey, and so many other things, I don't know if they have any ethically uncrossable lines at all. Mid terms will be the answer, I suppose.

I agree, midterms will give a hint to the answer because the Republicans REALLY are that bad. They just don't give a ****. They know that 1/2 of the crap Trump has do e would have already crippled any other President, but they just don't care. They've sold their integrity to force their agenda, consequences be damned. My guess is that they figure if they win in 2018 midterms then they'll be vindicated and they can keep on, if it's a draw then it's a win again, and if they lose then Trump will still be President for two more years because the Dems will want to focus on the campaign and nominating a Bernie Sanders candidate.

@AsburySkinsFan you mentioned "forcing their agenda"...but the only agenda I've seen is to work fewer days than ever, to do nothing for more days than ever, to literally do nothing.  They say they're introducing this bill or that, but it won't go.  Nothing will now.

Term limits, people.  That's where it's at.

Vote the bums out.

14 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

@AsburySkinsFan you mentioned "forcing their agenda"...but the only agenda I've seen is to work fewer days than ever, to do nothing for more days than ever, to literally do nothing.  They say they're introducing this bill or that, but it won't go.  Nothing will now.

Vote the bums out.

Meanwhile Trump is dismantling Federal Infrastructure both deliberately (DeVos etc) and by neglect. All of which is a GOP godsend.

See, this is what they've done for years. Big business doesn't like regulations because not poisoning your neighbor's water costs more. So they cherry pick seemingly arbitrary regulations and raise them as the banner of all that's wrong then when they get in they don't just go after the seemingly arbitrary instead they gut the whole thing with the delicacy of a machete. This is what the Right and the Far Right have wanted for years. Because a nation of patchwork laws and divided interests is easier to pollute and take advantage of than a nation with a strong Federal force keeping the entire nation in line. This is why the Left needs to seriously stop being seen as the party of the college kid, and start being seen as a moderate party of mature adults who understand the balance between business and individuals. But instead we get Marxists who come preaching the evils of business and free trade from their iPhone.

49 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Vote the bums out.

I think we need longer terms terms and lower term limits.

presidency should be 1 term, 8 years and senate should be 2 terms 10 years and house should be 3 terms 4 years.

that way we aren't constantly in an "election cycle"

Presidency one term eight years...ummm no. Make them all four years. Eight years maximum. Grandfather out all of the off year elections and have one year for the entire deal. No campaign can begin before May 31st of that calendar year. Fixed amount of soending per campaign (incrimentaly higher for local, state, national, Presidential elections). End PACs...all of them. No more soft money. ALL marketing MUST come from the campaigns directly.

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Presidency one term eight years...ummm no. Make them all four years. Eight years maximum. Grandfather out all of the off year elections and have one year for the entire deal. No campaign can begin before May 31st of that calendar year. Fixed amount of soending per campaign (incrimentaly higher for local, state, national, Presidential elections). End PACs...all of them. No more soft money. ALL marketing MUST come from the campaigns directly.

The Founding Fathers really seem like they got all of their bases covered with the term limits of the HoR, Senate and Presidency.  The House is the most "connected" to the people by having the smallest districts.  That comes with the shortest term limits, the most number of people (hence each representative has proportionally less power). With the term of 2 years for the entire HoR, you're never more than 2 years away from "The will of the people" in theory.  The body is set up to be more "fringey" if you will, 

The Senate, by comparison, is set up to represent the states, not specifically the people.  2 representatives per state, which means that the senators from California have as much pull from those in South Dakota.  Even though the number of people represented is entirley different.  The term limits are longer, to provide more stability.  This makes a lot of sense, if you have complete turnover every 2 years, you're going to whip-saw on policy back and forth all the time.  By allowing one "slowly changing" chamber, and one radically changing chamber, the founding fathers created a great compromise.  

The executive is, in theory, supposed to carry out the laws that the legislators pass.  The vision was not that the president would set legislative agendas.  That is a change in the way we interpret the power of the presidency when coupled with political parties.  The term limit of 4 years is in-between HoR and Senate.  Really, just about perfect.

There were no term limits anywhere in the constitution.  Then FDR got elected 4 times, and we decided we couldn't have that, so we had to change the rules.  FWIW, I actually am not in favor of presidential term limits.  I also think that it would be MADLY difficult to win a 3rd term, nor would a lot of people WANT to.  FDR won 4, while battling the great depression and WWII.

I do agree with the points about soft money, shorter campaigns, and all marketing coming from the campaign itself.  Unfortunately, there's as much a chance of that happening as I have having beers with Sophie Turner tonight. Possible, but not bloody likely. 

2 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

I think we need longer terms terms and lower term limits.

presidency should be 1 term, 8 years and senate should be 2 terms 10 years and house should be 3 terms 4 years.

that way we aren't constantly in an "election cycle"

Aaaack.  8 years mandatory of any person is ick.  You need the ability to throw somebody out before that.  

On 3/25/2017 at 11:01 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He's not going anywhere and no republican is going to face the backlash from the mob by challenging his reelection in 2020. They're afraid of the crowd 

1. He won't go anywhere for 2 years UNLESS he does something so categorically illegal and runs his mouth about it that the GOP congress has absolutely no choice but to do something.  He hasn't done that yet.  I don't think he will.  He'll walk up to the line, but not cross it.

2. After the mid-terms, IF the dems control both houses of congress, there is a chance that they move to impeach him.  I find the dems winning both houses of congress unlikely.  Impeaching him in the HOR but not having the votes in the senate to remove him from office would be a bad look.

3. Would the dems prefer to run against Trump or Pence in 2020?  I'm not sure they wouldn't pick Trump.  (I don't know that is the best idea, but I often think the political strategist in the Democrat Party are morons.  

4. I think you have to wait until after the mid-terms to see if anybody would oppose Trump in the primaries.  If there are epic losses in both houses of congress, and some state legislatures, I think you could see some folks think about it, with the tag line of "Save the Party! If we nominate Trump, we'll lose all 3 branches of the Federal Government!"  I'm not sure WHO would be a good pick, though.  None of the fools who ran last time managed to beat Trump.  Cruz might try again, but he is clearly not the solution.  Rubio/Kasich again?  I dunno, neither were particularly inspiring. I'm not sure who would have the chutzpah to actually pull it off.  

@Voice_of_Reason

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Founding Fathers really seem like they got all of their bases covered with the term limits of the HoR, Senate and Presidency. 

FTR the 2, 4, 6 year terms are not term limits. The reason you cited RE FDR is the same reason that Senate and HoR need term limits. And elections are not term limits, it's already been proven how easy it is to get a lot of people to vote for the worst possible candidate. 

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

If he's here for his full 4 years I think we may very well see the fastest decline of a world superpower or empire in human history.

I believe Predicto has raised this issue before on this board, but the issue with term limits for legislators is that crafting legislation is both an art and a science that takes a lot of experience to do well. As it is, a lot of the process is left to lobbying groups and staffers, but term limits would ensure that just as a member of congress reaches the level of experience where he or she can craft meaningful legislation and negotiate the process... BOOM. Term limited.

Thus, an unintended consequence of legislative term limits is you give even more power to lobbyists.

Archived