Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Holy ****...Sheehan is sounding incredibly level-headed right now lol :ols:...He's strongly acknowledging that the whole Scot drama may not be a sign of dysfunction in the Skins' front office, but a sign of compassion...that this can all play out in too many different ways if you just think about it, and that there may be reasons why the Skins can't comment on Scot other than in general terms. This is bizarre.

Fire the D staff and conduct search with only offering the HC a non guaranteed contract.

Hire D staff, extend HC.

Week before combine, send GM home. 

Eve of FA, allow story about not having a record setting QB or a replacement on the roster float around.

There isn't anything being handled level headed around there.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

You think there's any chance Paul and Reed get used more like WRs this season with Davis being the primary TE? Kinda like a backup plan of sorts if they can't get any other decent WR and Doctson still isn't contributing?

It's entirely possible, Davis is an excellent blocker.

I do need to see Paul, though. Last year he caught, what, one pass? The only one i recall is the one with him fixing his facemask before pummeling a DB.

I like Paul, but it's been a while since he's played meaningful football.

~Bang

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

You have no clue if they are helping him or not. And frankly, that is none of our business. Also, Federal laws strictly prohibit the team from commenting on someone's medical situation. 

And your advice is about as bad as it gets for dealing with addicts. 

LOL, really, telling an addict to admit to their problem and focus on it exclusively is "about as bad as it gets," huh? That's about as hyperbolic a comment as it gets and it's an idiotic, clueless statement. I'd say the "about as bad as it gets" advice to an addict would be to support the "I'm in control, I can stop when I want" mentality that Scot himself has exhibited in interviews on the issue. 

Why do you think the first part of the 12-step program is ADMITTING YOU HAVE A PROBLEM? Are you kidding me? If you thought I was suggesting he give a press conference on it, you misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm saying, IF he has the problem - IF - he should admit it to himself, his employers and his significant others, seek treatment for it and the last thing he should worry about is whether or not the public "finds out" about it. Trying to hide a problem and dealing with that pressure on TOP of the pressure of addiction is a dangerous combination. 

And no, "I don't know," blah, blah, blah, and yes, this is all speculation based on circumstantial evidence. Shouldn't that be friggin' obvious by now in this thread? Does every ****ing post need an "I don't know this to be the case" disclaimer at this point? I do know that people reporting on the issue like Mike Jones have definitively stated he's "not in rehab." 

That either means there IS no ongoing alcohol problem or, if there is, he's just choosing not to treat it, which has been his M.O. in the past. Here's a guy who's been fired from two jobs for alcohol abuse but refuses to admit he's an alcoholic and still thinks it's fine to drink beer. Those are not good signs and never were. 

Oh, and btw, this perfectly encapsulates what I was saying when it comes to honesty in recovery:

Those who become addicted to alcohol or drugs will usually live a life that involves plenty of dishonesty. This is because substance abuse is going to bring them in conflict with many people. In order to avoid such conflicts the addict needs to lie. So when their boss wants to know why they are not at work they might claim that they’ve picked up some type of stomach bug. The life of an addict tends to involve telling one lie after another, and more lies to cover previous lies. The most damaging of all will be the lies that the addict tells themselves.

All addicts rely on self-deception and denial in order to keep abusing their favorite chemicals. The evidence of the destruction caused by their addiction is usually plain for everyone else to see, but the addict is able to hide from this truth. It is only when the evidence of the destructiveness of their behavior becomes too overwhelming to ignore that most will develop a willingness to change. Honesty is what finally leads people into recovery, and it is this that then keeps them there.

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/honesty-in-recovery/

So, what was this "about as bad as it gets" advice again?

6 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

They may all be making the (usually) fatal mistake of "scheme over players" that often occurs just before an epic collapse.

Where the belief in one's schemes becomes so strong they get delusional and forget how important the players are to everything. 

I like Jay. I think his scheme is awesome. I think he's way smarter than people give him credit for and has been as significant to the progress of this team as Scot.

But this is where coaches often go wrong and it's vital that a sound FO keeps that from happening. This is what they failed at in 2014 when they first hired him and subsequently corrected the next year. He understood it then and I hope he does now. 

When Jay was asked what would happen if he lost both DJax and Garcon, he said he wouldn't blink.  That he has confidence in Ryan Grant, Doctson, (and the other guys) and they'd just keep rolling.

IF Ryan Grant is a starting WR for the Redskins this year, they will find out quickly that they made a mistake.  I like Grant.  He's a good guy as a 3rd or 4th WR, contributes in multiple ways, good in the run game. 

He's not a starting WR, unless he takes some major, ridiculous step forward.

If Jay isn't able to see that because he thinks the scheme can get him open consistently, then he's going to be madly disappointed with the opponent sticks a guy on him 1:1, blankets him, and jams the middle so that Reed and Crowder are less effective.

I have no idea if Doctson can play football.  If he turns into a stud, great.  But right now, all I know is that he's hurt and essentially missed his entire rookie season.

As Submitted said, if you have a coach who thinks they can coach around talent as the talent guy, you've got a big problem. 

The ONLY one that has had success with it is Billy B.  But unless you're Billy and have 7 SB appearances on your resume, then it's a BAD BAD idea. 

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Just an FYI, some of Chris Russell's ideas to replace McCloughan are Jon Gruden and Louis Riddick (Vinny Cerrato's right hand man, and one of the architects of the Dream Team Eagles)

Jon isn't leaving the booth.  Riddick makes a ton of sense from a relationship perspective.  I wouldn't think that would be a great idea, but, hey, who knows.

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Just an FYI, some of Chris Russell's ideas to replace McCloughan are Jon Gruden and Louis Riddick (Vinny Cerrato's right hand man, and one of the architects of the Dream Team Eagles)

I like Riddick, but I don't see any way he'd come back here under the current structure.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The ONLY one that has had success with it is Billy B.  But unless you're Billy and have 7 SB appearances on your resume, then it's a BAD BAD idea. 

Yup, and I'd even argue this point but that's neither here nor there right now. Even if this is simply true, it's such a rare exception it's moronic to think applying it ever makes sense. 

That being said I don't think Jay's that foolish. He's not an arrogant guy and knows it's about the players. But, if he is going that route, it's up to a smart FO around him to save him from that, not friggin encourage it. ESPECIALLY after what they just went through something similar in 2014. 

40 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I know everyone hates me, but that's only because I'm smarter and prettier than all of you.

And also because I brought up this "Snyder is weirdly compassionate and nostalgic" thing last week.

It would be a totally Snyder move to screw up Free Agency and the Draft by NOT firing someone because he was trying to be nice.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but he's oddly loyal for somebody who's been through 8 HCs. 

The only guy he wasn't loyal to was Marty.  And I guess Norv, but who really faults him for that?  Maybe the timing and way it was done was classless, but come on, Norv needed to go.

After Marty, Spurrier quit, GIbbs resigned, Zorn was a Vinny hire because nobody else would come to the team, and had to go, Shanahan got 4 years (and loyalty was shown to Griffin, not Mike).

It took him FOREVER to fire Vinny, and Allens been in place for going on 7 years.

You're right, he really isn't as quick itchy-trigger finger as some like to believe. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I hadn't thought of it that way, but he's oddly loyal for somebody who's been through 8 HCs. 

The only guy he wasn't loyal to was Marty.  And I guess Norv, but who really faults him for that?  Maybe the timing and way it was done was classless, but come on, Norv needed to go.

After Marty, Spurrier quit, GIbbs resigned, Zorn was a Vinny hire because nobody else would come to the team, and had to go, Shanahan got 4 years (and loyalty was shown to Griffin, not Mike).

It took him FOREVER to fire Vinny, and Allens been in place for going on 7 years.

You're right, he really isn't as quick itchy-trigger finger as some like to believe. 

He varies wildly between overly loyal and overly petty.

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mark Dominik was on the short list.  Buc connections with Bruce.  He's currently working for ESPN which means he'll probably be looking for a job soon anyway after they start laying people off.  

11 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yup, and I'd even argue this point but that's neither here nor there right now. Even if this is simply true, it's such a rare exception it's moronic to think applying it ever makes sense. 

That being said I don't think Jay's that foolish. He's not an arrogant guy and knows it's about the players. But, if he is going that route, it's up to a smart FO around him to save him from that, not friggin encourage it. ESPECIALLY after what they just went through something similar in 2014. 

Yeah, Bill actually leans on a lot of other people, and just because he has final say, it's not like he's doing all of the scouting alone.  But it's the only example I can think of where the power rested in one guy, and the organization was successful. 

And it's one of the most important things a good boss does is saves somebody from themselves, instead of giving them enough rope to hang themselves.

I have to think that Bruce and Dan know this.  Neither are stupid. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Fire the D staff and conduct search with only offering the HC a non guaranteed contract.

Hire D staff, extend HC.

Week before combine, send GM home. 

Eve of FA, allow story about not having a record setting QB or a replacement on the roster float around.

There isn't anything being handled level headed around there.

1) Would you be surprised if you learned this isn't unusual in cases like this?

2) Not sure how this points to dysfunction.

3) Until we know the facts surrounding Scot being home, we don't know the proper perspective to take, which was Sheehan's point

4) "Allow" the story to float around?...In what universe does any NFL front office control what the media floats around? lol...

You should never write anything that might make you look LESS reasonable than Sheehan lol...

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have to think that Bruce and Dan know this.  Neither are stupid. 

That's, unfortunately, the concern. And it's legitimate. :/

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, Bill actually leans on a lot of other people, and just because he has final say, it's not like he's doing all of the scouting alone.  But it's the only example I can think of where the power rested in one guy, and the organization was successful. 

Agreed, but I'd add that Tom Brady makes a lot of things right for them. A lot. 

36 minutes ago, Bang said:

It's entirely possible, Davis is an excellent blocker.

I do need to see Paul, though. Last year he caught, what, one pass? The only one i recall is the one with him fixing his facemask before pummeling a DB.

I like Paul, but it's been a while since he's played meaningful football.

~Bang

I think "excellent" might be hyperbole.  I saw his blocking ruin a play too many times last year.

15 minutes ago, drowland said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Mark Dominik was on the short list.  Buc connections with Bruce.  He's currently working for ESPN which means he'll probably be looking for a job soon anyway after they start laying people off.  

I'm a little fuzzy why the only names being tossed around all work at ESPN.  Like there's no qualified, available people at other outlets.  Or why they have to be in the media at all.

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

When Jay was asked what would happen if he lost both DJax and Garcon, he said he wouldn't blink.  That he has confidence in Ryan Grant, Doctson, (and the other guys) and they'd just keep rolling.

I'd believe that's coach speak from Jay here. He knows what he'll lose, and you hardly ever see coaches bashes guys in such kind of situation.

I do remember an ex HC in the NFL, though can't remember who, that put is reputation at stake on John Beck at some point.

So don't read too much into this from Jay.

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

That's, unfortunately, the concern. And it's legitimate. :/

I mean, I guess it's a concern.  But I really believe that neither are stupid.  Vinny was stupid.  Zorn was stupid.  (Or at least they did stupid things). 

Bruce and Dan might not always do the right thing, but I have to believe that at least they "get it."  Allen hiring SM in the first place shows that he gets it.

The big tarnish on Allen's resume is siding with Griffin in the Griffin vs. Shanahan sweepstakes.  And, honestly, he could have been directed to do that. 

We'll see. 

1 minute ago, thesubmittedone said:

Agreed, but I'd add that Tom Brady makes a lot of things right for them. A lot. 

This is also true.  But they win without Brady when Brady isn't there from time to time.  That is a well coached, well put together team, with a GOAT QB.  Which is why they've been to 7 SBs and won 5. 

Montana was the last QB QB to be in the same situation, he put together 4.  And as an aside, if you go back and look at Montana's numbers in those SBs, they are ridiculous.  83 of 122 (68%), 11 TDs, 0 INTs, passer rating of 127.8.  He orchestrated blowouts and a last-minute drive (the John Candy drive) to win.  Brady might have the most wins and appearances, and is the most decorated, and probably the GOAT, but Joe Cool, in my opinion, is still the best QB in a SB. And if I had to pick 1 guy to start a SB, I'd take Joe 100 times out of 100.  Never lost and no INTs over 4 appearances.   In the 80's when you could mug a WR down the field.  Just ridiculous command and accuracy.  But I digress. 

In both situations, you could argue, did the QB make the coach, or did the coach make the QB?  Would Walsh have been Walsh without Montana?  Would Montana have been Montana without Walsh?  Same for Brady/Bill. 

The answer probably is that they both make each other greater. 

Archived