Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk avoiding too many hits in pocket???

Renegade7

Does Kirk need to stand tall in the pocket longer???  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Kirk to plant his stance more and risk more big hits to complete passes?

I say avoid as many hits as possible.  Every now and then you have to stand in there and deliver that pass while you take a lick.  But that shouldn't be the norm.  I don't want my QB standing in there like Andrew Luck has for most of the year behind that atrocious line.

But I think this thread is reacting to a problem Kirk had for one single game.  It's not a recurring problem so I don't think it necessarily requires a discussion on it right meow.  

Just reading the thread I think there's a hint of folks being so used to constantly defending KC to non Skins fans over dumb points that it's rolling over into here. Let's all keep in mind that noting some little points here and there that could take KC's game to the next level isn't the same as knocking or discounting his abilities or accomplishments.

4 minutes ago, jpage520 said:

Just reading the thread I think there's a hint of folks being so used to constantly defending KC to non Skins fans over dumb points that it's rolling over into here. Let's all keep in mind that noting some little points here and there that could take KC's game to the next level isn't the same as knocking or discounting his abilities or accomplishments.

It is a very fine line imo and I do find myself overly reactionary to any criticism of Kirk. 

Here, I think B Mitch is referring to one pass play in the 2nd half where Kirk hurried an incomplete pass when defenders fell at his feet. Live time I also thought Kirk should have hung tough for .5 second longer .. but then I watched it again and he had guys falling at his feet and if he did hang for .5 seconds longer, his legs were gonna get rolled on.  

IMO, pointing to one 50/50 judgment call play as a "pattern" or "thing Kirk needs to work on" is not accurate bc it ignores the zillion other plays where he did hang tough and put the ball on the money while taking a hit. 

Watch the 10 min version of the Cards game, Kirk was making throws with guys in his face all day. Perhaps that eventually got to him and his internal clock on that one play towards the end. I cant find a replay of the throw I think B Mitch is referring to. Towards the end, we are in Cards territory I believe. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016120409/2016/REG13/redskins@cardinals#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000751372&tab=recap

I don't think he's shy about it if need be.. but I am much more impressed with his ability to extend the play as the season goes along. He's gotten better at reading where he can drift, where he can step up.

the Cards had a nasty rush, and often planted Shaun Lauvao at Kirk's feet..  he took some shots, but he also had some very nice escapes that gave him the chance to make a good throw.

I think he's doing fine,, i would not be trying to change much if i were his coach. Especially to take a hit. QB is too valuable, and fragile. If he must, he does. As i said above, i don't see him being gun shy.

~Bang

17 minutes ago, jpage520 said:

I disagree with this. On the whole Kirk has progressed tremendously here. The idea that in one or two plays he may have gotten rid of the ball too quick is being nit-picky. In the end, his health is a hell of lot more important than a play or two that maybe he could make but take a direct hit. While overall he had a rough day Sunday, he did one of the best jobs I have seen him do escaping pressure and extending plays. Most times AZ had good coverage.

I think people are over-reacting to a few plays against the best def in the NFL. They will learn from this and I am certain given the chance to paly them again, it would go much better for the Skins.

Taking the big hit is situational.  Obviously, if you have to take a hit on a potential game winning drive - you take the hit.  I'm not exactly sure what was going through his mind near the end of the game on Sunday.  It's hard to say given he hasn't faced that kind of pressure in a very, long time.  It's easy to say what he should do when watching from the comfort of our living room.

29 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I disagree with this. On the whole Kirk has progressed tremendously here. The idea that in one or two plays he may have gotten rid of the ball too quick is being nit-picky. In the end, his health is a hell of lot more important than a play or two that maybe he could make but take a direct hit. While overall he had a rough day Sunday, he did one of the best jobs I have seen him do escaping pressure and extending plays. Most times AZ had good coverage.

I think people are over-reacting to a few plays against the best def in the NFL. They will learn from this and I am certain given the chance to paly them again, it would go much better for the Skins.

I agree with you. I never denied or made a point against that point at all. At least I don't think I did?

Kirk has gotten nothing but better over the past four years. His ability to extend plays and ability to sense pressure is a huge step up from any QB we've had here in years. This game was no exception to that. Only a challenge that he's going to face repeatedly the further along he goes when playing stout defenses. KC was playing with guys in his face the entire day and still managed to complete 21 throws for 250+yds and a TD.

I'd rather him continue what he's doing.

What great QBs take big hits to deliver throws? They all move around and avoid pressure, either subtetly like Brady/Brees or with tremendous athleticism like Roethlisberger/Rodgers. The ones who take hits tend to end up getting hurt and/or sucking like Luck and you know RG3...

Its hilarious the amount of nitpicking anti Kirk people are doing. Whats next, his cleats aren't shiny enough, his laces aren't tied properly?

My main issue with Kirk is he extends a play running towards the sideline waiting for someone to come open, however the issue begins when he doesn't take off and run out of bounds or just throw it away. Instead, he starts back pedaling and jumps and throws it off his back foot. This is something he does almost every game at least once. 

Its not that I want to see him take more hits because obviously that would be silly. I just want to see him be more deicisive in that situation. He's not Tom Brady out there, Kirk has some wheels. Take off and run young man. 

37 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Its not that I want to see him take more hits because obviously that would be silly. I just want to see him be more deicisive in that situation. He's not Tom Brady out there, Kirk has some wheels. Take off and run young man. 

I think that's valid. There have been a few occasions this year where he could've gained a first down or shortened the distance to one had he committed to taking off to run instead of trying to wait out solid coverage. More so in the first couple games than recently. But to that point though, I do like the way he always keeps an eye downfield to try and complete the pass.

Remember Cam saying NO MORE HITS? lol Cam is even a bigger guy and he doesn't like taking hits. QB know if they go down someone like Dak will come in and take over their position. Yes it leads to making less or no money but isn't that what these players are playing for?  Money and a title and then even more money? You have to play smart and stay upright longer and not be dumb and broken. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:03 PM, Renegade7 said:

It wasn't until Kelly took over that I really noticed it, but Kirk has been good for about 2-3 overthrows on his outlet passes a game. Usually trying to avoid getting hit, he's throwing off his back foot quick instead of planting to keep the drive going.  Brian Mitchell brought it up saying Kirk needs to man up and take more of those hits to get the ball on target so we can win games.  I'm absolutely mixed on this, as the last thing we want is Kirk to try and prove how tough he is in a league full of defenses trying to break him in two.  I think I want to see him with Trent again to see if pass protection improves and those 2-3 overthrows go away.  Are ya'll seeing same thing I'm seeing?

A couple of things confuse me about your critique.  What does Kelly have to do with Kirk getting rid of the ball faster?  In my opinion, Kelly is our best pass protection RB.  Thompson is good too, but he missed a couple of assignments last week.  The other thing is that when a QB throws off his back foot the result is usually and underthrow, not overthrow.  I did notice this a couple of times against the Cardinals.  Both underthrows were for first downs and could still have been caught, but weren't.  

54 minutes ago, kingarthur65 said:

A couple of things confuse me about your critique.  What does Kelly have to do with Kirk getting rid of the ball faster?  In my opinion, Kelly is our best pass protection RB.  Thompson is good too, but he missed a couple of assignments last week.  The other thing is that when a QB throws off his back foot the result is usually and underthrow, not overthrow.  I did notice this a couple of times against the Cardinals.  Both underthrows were for first downs and could still have been caught, but weren't.  

I noticed this more with Kelly in there for whatever reason because his overthrows have been to Kelly.  I don't think it matters who the running back was, but for whatever reason, most of his overthrows off his backfoot were to Kelly.  You can go back and see, but its not that serious.

2 hours ago, kgor93 said:

Have you forgotten how poor RG3 was at avoiding hits already? All he did was scramble, plant, or take big hits.

OP can't be serious.

Had no problem asking it to see what ya'll thought, practicing off balance throws make sense.

On 12/5/2016 at 8:52 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Alright yes, he can't throw a fade, but I'm pretty sure he's close to leading the league in the deep touch too.

He can't throw it this year. He was good at it last season. 

I have no idea what happened. It makes no sense. You see the videos coming out every week of them practicing it and he's spot on for the most part. 

But then when he goes for it in a game he rushes it like crazy. Probably making the coaches go insane, lol.

As for the OP, one of the (very few) things I've always said that I wanted to see Kirk get better at was planting and throwing more consistently when he sensed pressure up the middle. He does seem to panic a little here and there and make throws off his back foot or jumping up when someone flashes in front of him. 

But I never thought it was because he's scared. Or lacking courage. It was more of him not wanting to take a sack or have something worse happen. 

That being said, against the Cardinals the pressure was real. He panicked because he should have, lol. It was too immediate and could've cost him and the team dearly if he waited longer or planted for the most part. 

I think the answer is yes, but I will temper that yes, by saying the issue doesn't come up a lot so it is not a "major" concern, but it is something that can be improved.  I almost call it the Romo-syndrome.  Cousins gets pretty good protection from his O-line, so it is probably fair to say that he isn't use to having to constantly "feel the pressure"  however the Cardinals did something we haven't seen many teams do this season which is send all out blitzes two plays in a row where there was a free rusher.  

Now if no one was open, I can understand why Cousins would fold and just take the sack, but on the 3rd and 4 play, Crowder was wide open and could have possibly danced into the endzone if Kirk stood in there, knowing the hit was coming, and delivered the ball.  Instead he felt the heat, and his body reacted to trying to brace for the hit instead of delivering the ball accurately.

Like I said it's not something that happens a lot right now because for the most part the O-line protects him well, but that doesn't mean we should overlook the few times it does happen, and just expect Cousins to never get hit.  If anything, after the Cardinals game we could definitely see more blitzes like that from a desperate Philly team. 

Archived